ImageImageImageImageImage

WT:Lakers have had internal discussions about Smith

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Re: WT:Lakers have had internal discussions about Smith 

Post#101 » by Jajwanda » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:29 pm

What bothers me about Gasol is his one-on-one game. When was the last time we saw any of that in the NBA? For Spain sure. For the Lakers? Nope.

I'd wait a little bit to see if D'Antoni can change his value. Metta and Gasol no matter what anybody will tell you still aren't ideal for L.A. but D'Antoni does get the best out his players in terms of efficiency that I can already see.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,097

Post#102 » by jigga_man » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:I don't want Pau traded for Josh Smith.

Pau still one of the smartest bigman in NBA, he just need get his head straight this season.

His intelligence is not going to fix his atrocious help defense. It's fallen off the cliff.
Jajwanda
General Manager

Post#103 » by Jajwanda » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:29 pm

It seems a little ridiculous to make such a big deal over what is essentially 6% in spot-up efficiency. Smith is better or even at literally every other thing this team needs.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,228

Post#104 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:46 pm

And to be fair, Gasol gets some ridiculously open looks out there. His midrange jump shots are pretty much wide open, as they usually come off doubles to Kobe (but to be fair to pau, the center is usually reluctant to come out on him as he usually finds Dwight/Drew for the lob). But Smith takes some of the most low percentage contested long twos there...his looks would surely improve on the Lakers. The high/low pf to center lobs might not be there anymore, but regarding strict shooting ability I think the two are very close.
D-BE-LAW
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#105 » by D-BE-LAW » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:41 am

Josh smith and dwight howard front court would be beast. Freak athletes with skill.
Stebo_SSK
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#106 » by Stebo_SSK » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 am

Jajwanda wrote:It seems a little ridiculous to make such a big deal over what is essentially 6% in spot-up efficiency. Smith is better or even at literally every other thing this team needs.

This whole statement bothers me. 6 percents a lot, especially when a guy is shooting a shot that is supposed to be a bread and butter shot. Thats like saying the diff in Kobe shooting 50% and 43% means nothing. Over a course of a game it will show. A lot of skill, decision making and timing goes into that percentage. Pau can be a pootboy but rarely do we have a wtf is he doing out there look when it comes to offense. I can bet every dime I have that 90 percent of the Laker board has watched more than 2 ATL games when they werent playing LA on national broadcast.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#107 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:06 am

Stebo_SSK wrote:
Jajwanda wrote:It seems a little ridiculous to make such a big deal over what is essentially 6% in spot-up efficiency. Smith is better or even at literally every other thing this team needs.

This whole statement bothers me. 6 percents a lot, especially when a guy is shooting a shot that is supposed to be a bread and butter shot. Thats like saying the diff in Kobe shooting 50% and 43% means nothing. Over a course of a game it will show. A lot of skill, decision making and timing goes into that percentage. Pau can be a pootboy but rarely do we have a wtf is he doing out there look when it comes to offense. I can bet every dime I have that 90 percent of the Laker board has watched more than 2 ATL games when they werent playing LA on national broadcast.
Can't lie.......I have no reason to watch the Hawks. But I'm aware of their squad. And I've seen enough of Smith to know it's not a seemless fit as Jawanda want's to make it. Having a Josh Smith on your team has some pluses and negetives. All the negetives being on the offensive end.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Post#108 » by Anklebreaker702 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:30 am

I say do it. Pau is no longer the player that brought us 2 titles. His tenured has run its course. So why not get younger, more athletic, & better defensively?
VETERAN LAKER FAN
LateRoundFlyer
Junior
And1: 8

Post#109 » by LateRoundFlyer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 am

Anklebreaker702 wrote:I say do it. Pau is no longer the player that brought us 2 titles. His tenured has run its course. So why not get younger, more athletic, & better defensively?

Oh, maybe because...

And there is no way Smith beats any of those four top names on that list even now?

(http://www.hoopsworld.com/2015-nba-free-agents/)
DonJay21
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#110 » by DonJay21 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:34 am

Michael Lucky wrote:This board needs a separate thread dedicated to complaining about Pau since he is always the first to be blamed for everything that goes wrong. lol

anyways Pau showed that he is once again more than capable of spreading the floor in D'Antoni's offense as shown in last night's game.

I admit, Pau looked good in that first half of Basketball against the Suns. But once Suns stopped that open cut from 15 - 18 feet, Pau was not heard from for the rest of the game. Suns applied that pressure and that bleeding stop. Now you have a useless, 7 footer on the outside not doing jack. I'm for trading him while the Lakers still can. Pau will disappear in the playoffs if he's is not traded.
Money, Beats and Basketball. Coooooooper!!!!
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#111 » by EArl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:40 am

You know I was on board about trading for Gasol, but then I saw this video which made me change my mind. There will be better PF when Gasol's contract expires. I think its best to wait it out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6wJMWjS39g[/youtube]
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Jajwanda
General Manager

Post#112 » by Jajwanda » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:04 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Stebo_SSK wrote:

Can't lie.......I have no reason to watch the Hawks. But I'm aware of their squad. And I've seen enough of Smith to know it's not a seemless fit as Jawanda want's to make it. Having a Josh Smith on your team has some pluses and negetives. All the negetives being on the offensive end.

It's not seamless at all. However, I think that the overall benefit outweighs the negative. That's why this isn't cut and dry for Laker management. With Howard they knew, with Nash they knew. With Smith they've been deliberating and this is Pau's last shot make no mistake of that.
Wreckus13
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#113 » by Wreckus13 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:13 am

Jajwanda wrote:What bothers me about Gasol is his one-on-one game. When was the last time we saw any of that in the NBA? For Spain sure. For the Lakers? Nope.

I'd wait a little bit to see if D'Antoni can change his value. Metta and Gasol no matter what anybody will tell you still aren't ideal for L.A. but D'Antoni does get the best out his players in terms of efficiency that I can already see.

I think pau is much better playing the 5. He goes away from his strong inside game to help out the team from the high post. I think your right though we need legit three point shooters for this team to be effective and pau and metta might have to go to make it happen
LateRoundFlyer
Junior
And1: 8

Post#114 » by LateRoundFlyer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:24 am

If we traded Pau and Metta and got better, Mitch should run away with Executive of the Year.
Jajwanda
General Manager

Post#115 » by Jajwanda » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:30 am

26m in salary for two roles that could be played by far cheaper, bare-bones players.
Jajwanda
General Manager

Post#116 » by Jajwanda » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:57 am

One thing of note on the Lakers. Rarely have they ever kept a Laker support player past the point of no return. Almost every time they traded the guy for something before that option went away.

Divac
Shaq
Bynum
Odom
Gasol

Perhaps it's time for Gasol to get his send off.
CodyB_
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#117 » by CodyB_ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:41 pm

He's putting up 14 and 10, next to two guys that commands the ball 8/10 possesions.

He's still a capable 20 and 10 player on any night, and the best passer at his position at the league. The only reason to trade him is because him and Dwight's game kind of overlap but I don't buy that it will remain that way. Give Pau a break.
Don't be a jerk.
Kobean
Senior
And1: 27

Post#118 » by Kobean » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:17 pm

I'd be ok either way, if we keep Pau we have the best passing big in the game and someone with a decent mid range game (most of the time) and if we got Josh Smith we get younger and much more athletic so this is a win win as far as i'm concerned.
Stebo_SSK
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#119 » by Stebo_SSK » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:28 pm

Jajwanda wrote:26m in salary for two roles that could be played by far cheaper, bare-bones players.

Why does it matter to you if the players are cheaper? That isnt effecting anything for you as a fan and getting cheaper isnt going to effect the Lakers in 2 years anyway when every contract comes off the books. Another issue I have is that you arent going to find many players that will avg 14 and 10 with the 3rd or 4th usage on any team.

Mind you Josh Smith has a higher usage than Dwight right now and look at his stats compared to DH and Pau. Why not just let this team play out and go after a better player than Smith? Dude is above average talent with a bench warmer's brain.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#120 » by Kilroy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:31 pm

What we really need to do all depends on what D'Antoni can get out of guys like Meeks, Ebanks, Clark, Morris and Duhon...

But I don't think we need Josh Smith.

We need to flip Pau for improvement at multiple positions... Not necessarily superstars, but solid complimentary role-players. Preferably one's with their peak years ahead of them rather than behind.

If there was some way to get a Ryan Anderson or Perry Jones, that would be great... Maybe we go throw-back and try to land McAdoo in the draft...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers