A turnaround is always possible

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,675

Re: A turnaround is always possible 

Post#201 » by dockingsched » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 pm

eh, thats outdated. lakers just went through arguably the most difficult stretch of games (w/ okc still remaining) since that chart was created.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#202 » by deNIEd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:18 pm

dockingsched wrote:eh, thats outdated. lakers just went through arguably the most difficult stretch of games (w/ okc still remaining) since that chart was created.

Outdated by 9 days isn't thhhaaattt significant.

Granted the Laker's schedule would move to the right, but I don't think it would jump significantly. I mean, it was updated on 12/31
deNIEd
Banned User

Post#203 » by deNIEd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:25 pm

dockingsched wrote:eh, thats outdated. lakers just went through arguably the most difficult stretch of games (w/ okc still remaining) since that chart was created.

This site looks pretty interesting, although some of their stuff doesn't quite make sense

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nba/lakersstandings.html
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,245

Post#204 » by twix2500 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Everything is happening exactly how everyone was saying if they hired DAntoni. That he is not going to play this team to its strength but their weakness. This isnt a surprise, it should be making Lakers fan furiated at the Lakers management by basically sabotaging the roster they put together by having DAntoni coach a team he is not fit for. Its either fire DAntoni or make more trades to rebuild this team suited for DAntoni. There no secret formula from within, no motivational speeches by Kobe, its not effort. Its wrong system, wrong roster.
IamBBAnalysis
Pro Prospect
And1: 500

Post#205 » by IamBBAnalysis » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:36 pm

twix2500 wrote:Everything is happening exactly how everyone was saying if they hired DAntoni. That he is not going to play this team to its strength but their weakness. This isnt a surprise, it should be making Lakers fan furiated at the Lakers management by basically sabotaging the roster they put together by having DAntoni coach a team he is not fit for. Its either fire DAntoni or make more trades to rebuild this team suited for DAntoni. There no secret formula from within, no motivational speeches by Kobe, its not effort. Its wrong system, wrong roster.

Actually it is both. The team has been playing the same way since preseason. The defense has been bad all along. You could certainly say changing the system was wrong though...but it was definitely not the only thing.

Remember, the Lakers have actually had a few very good wins recently with this group and Nash back. They won two very good close games against the Warriors and Knicks and blew out Portland. Unfortunately, there are multiple problems and because of that confidence in the system and each other keeps wavering. If this team just played hard and believed that would go along way.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#206 » by Mamba Venom » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Our team's goal is the 5th or 6th seed. It's going to be really tough but this team has to come together and get hot.

It is possible and I hate to admit it, but I expect it to happen. But I also think the big 4 expect it as well. And it will ONLY happen if the big 4 don't expect it so its a conundrum.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
deNIEd
Banned User

Post#207 » by deNIEd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Mamba Venom wrote:Our team's goal is the 5th or 6th seed. It's going to be really tough but this team has to come together and get hot.

It is possible and I hate to admit it, but I expect it to happen. But I also think the big 4 expect it as well. And it will ONLY happen if the big 4 don't expect it so its a conundrum.

The past 5 years has had an average of 50 wins to get the 6th seed.

Meaning the Lakers will need to go 35-12 (0.744) for the remaining 47 games left
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#208 » by The Skyhook » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Maybe

Lakers plan to huddle and assess options over next couple of days. Don't expect anything major right away. Kupchak is a ponderer ;)

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/sta ... 4656165888

Few weeks into the season I had a feeling Gasol would be moved and I still have that same feeling.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,245

Post#209 » by twix2500 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:34 pm

IamBBAnalysis wrote:Actually it is both. The team has been playing the same way since preseason. The defense has been bad all along. You could certainly say changing the system was wrong though...but it was definitely not the only thing.

Remember, the Lakers have actually had a few very good wins recently with this group and Nash back. They won two very good close games against the Warriors and Knicks and blew out Portland. Unfortunately, there are multiple problems and because of that confidence in the system and each other keeps wavering. If this team just played hard and believed that would go along way.

I would lose confidence in the coach too if my strength is running long distance and im being force to run a sprint. The best way to get confidence in the players in put them in position to succeed that is the purpose of a coach. It doesnt matter how hard I try to shoot a three pointer if I suck at it. These players are veterans and they have established their game, its waaayy to late in their career to transform their games to what something completely new. Yes there is a lot of issues with this team and its caused by coaching. If they wanted bigs who want to shoot threes, then they should of kept Andrew Bynum he would of been happy to do so

radikalBaller
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,324

Post#210 » by radikalBaller » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Lakers have at least 20 more very tuff games to play, if they surprisingly win 50% of these, they can't afford to lose more than 12 of their remaining 37 games against mid level and bad teams to make it to .500 and make the playoffs.

That's what you need to watch, grossly, each loss to non top 4 teams will bring them closer to the lottery, and the countdown starts at 12...

OKC
CHI
MEN
OKC
BOS
MIA
LAC
BOS
DEN
ATL
OKC
CHI
ATL
GSW
MEM
LAC
GSW
SAS
HOU
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#211 » by GAME TIME » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Earl Clark is going to give us another wing defender.

Earl Clark/Peace going to give Durant and Lebron all they can handle.

Howard and Gasol get healthier.

Dan Tony system starts to gel more.

Nash gets everyone on the same page.

Lakers will be storming their way to the playoffs, on a mission, and going to steam roll their way to the finals
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#212 » by chefy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:25 am

i saw some defensive potentials in earl clark last night. the guys is athletic, very mobile, and he hustles. i'm sure hes fast enough to guard pgs too. i hope we mold him into our very own defensive player. make him our defensive stopper ala sefalosha. tho im worried about dantoni making him another one of those jump shooting undersized pfs.
GAME TIME
Banned User

Post#213 » by GAME TIME » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:29 am

chefy wrote:i saw some defensive potentials in earl clark last night. the guys is athletic, very mobile, and he hustles. i'm sure hes fast enough to guard pgs too. i hope we mold him into our very own defensive player. make him our defensive stopper ala sefalosha. tho im worried about dantoni making him another one of those jump shooting undersized pfs.

Clark got a wing span on him. You can tell right away, his length bothers people. I like to see Clark on Durant a lot, even more than Peace. Durant catch and shoot vs Peace may be easier, but against Clark with his length and athleticism, he can bother his shots.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#214 » by ROballer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:21 am

Well ,the Blazers just beat up the Heat...I'll be damned if we don't do it ourselvez next week,they look totally beatable right now

6.Houston 21-15
7.Portland 20-15
8.Denver 21-16

11.Lakers 15-20

A full 5 games out of the playoff spots right now
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#215 » by EArl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:58 am

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. He had one good game. If he can do this for a couple of more games than I will believe it.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Celtics_35
Junior
And1: 119

Post#216 » by Celtics_35 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:36 am

GAME TIME wrote:Earl Clark is going to give us another wing defender.

Lakers will be storming their way to the playoffs, on a mission, and going to steam roll their way to the finals

Hope you don't consider this as a troll by a Celtics fan but I Admire your optimism and loyality to the Lakers, but even if the Lakers go on an extended winning streak now, they are too far behind the best teams in the West to get home court advantage in the playoffs to make the finals.

I just don't see Steve Nash working in the current Lakers system, despite MDA as coach. And Gasol looks like on his way out. It seems to me like its a season of transition for the Lakers, I think some patience is required for LA fans, cause I am certain you'll be legit title contenders next season once everyone is used to all the personale and coaching changes.
GAME TIME
Banned User

Post#217 » by GAME TIME » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Celtics_35 wrote:

Hope you don't consider this as a troll by a Celtics fan but I Admire your optimism and loyality to the Lakers, but even if the Lakers go on an extended winning streak now, they are too far behind the best teams in the West to get home court advantage in the playoffs to make the finals.

I just don't see Steve Nash working in the current Lakers system, despite MDA as coach. And Gasol looks like on his way out. It seems to me like its a season of transition for the Lakers, I think some patience is required for LA fans, cause I am certain you'll be legit title contenders next season once everyone is used to all the personale and coaching changes.

:roll:
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#218 » by Mirjalovic » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:05 pm

eablinksum wrote:Lets not get ahead of ourselves. He had one good game. If he can do this for a couple of more games than I will believe it.

we never give Hill a chance last year, until vs Thunder, when he put up 14-15... since then, he become our best bench player.

let just hope Clark can follow Hill footsteps.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#219 » by Kilroy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Celtics_35 wrote:

Nice to hear from Celtics fans... Always makes me feel better about our situation.
Keep your chin up.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#220 » by Jetset » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:26 pm

jordan hill is out indefinitely, howard could come back next thursday against miami, and pau is still not yet cleared to play but the could possibly be back sunday against cleveland.

tonight is an automatic loss, sunday could be a potential loss if kyrie can carry his team despite not having varejao, and i think i'm going to pencil in a win against the bucks. so going into the miami game on thursday our record will more than likely be at 16-22. i don't see it happening, and even if it did i don't want to watch this team in the playoffs. d'antoni would more than likely get the benefit of the doubt if this team managed a playoff spot, i don't see any way he survives if he doesn't. so i'll take missing the playoffs and firing d'antoni in the offseason for 600, alex.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers