A turnaround is always possible

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Re: NEXT 10 GAMES 

Post#81 » by Kupchak9 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 12:05 am

kobe808lak wrote:
richboy wrote:Gasol wasn't old in the Olympics. Funny when a team uses him right how good he can look.

Olympics aside, he hasn't looked good for 2+ years in NBA play.

With the same logic, he hasn't been used correctly in 2+ years...
phoenixx
Pro Prospect
And1: 5

Post#82 » by phoenixx » Thu Jan 3, 2013 3:57 am

TyCobb wrote:
phoenixx wrote:
TyCobb wrote:That rankings has the Raptors as the 15th best team in the league. Bye, bye credibility.

his ranking system is only good in the short run. raptors are only listed as 15th because theyve won 7 of their last 8.

but when considering the long run, his ranking system shouldnt be taken seriously

Ah, so it's like a whose hot list?

i think so. it still factors in the entire records of teams. the rankings are automatically calculated and updated based on a formula that hollinger made.
LaMaquina1
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#83 » by LaMaquina1 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 5:27 am

well we lost to Philly already...
clippers- L (really hot right now)
denver- W (revenge)
@houston- W (gut feeling we steal this one)
@san antonio- L (too good at homecourt)
okc- L (too fast.. we're too slow)
cleveland- W (we should really really really win this one, although LA has let me down b4)
milwakee- W (average team, but we have homecourt. shouldn't take em lightly)
miami- L (gut feeling we lose)
@toronto- W (cuz they suck. lol)

overall 5-5 :roll:
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#84 » by Neutral 123 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 3:18 pm

phoenixx wrote:i think so. it still factors in the entire records of teams. the rankings are automatically calculated and updated based on a formula that hollinger made.

Yep, and while most don't use a formula, all power rankings I've seen are done this way. The Raptors may not be the 15th best team in the league, the Lakers may not be going up against the actual top 5 teams in the league, but given it's a measure of overall record, and current play, these probably aren't teams a .500 team wants to play right now.

It's kind of interesting. What's a credible ranking for a team like the Lakers? Do you rank them based on where you think their talent should have them, or based on their actual results and level of play? They came into the season as one of a few title contenders. Would it be reasonable to currently rank them as a top 3-4 in the league? Their results have to call that into question.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#85 » by Kilroy » Fri Jan 4, 2013 5:06 pm

These games are all must win... And I think this is the defining stretch of the season for this team, this roster, and maybe the coach.
We're going to be in rough shape for the post season if we come out of this run at anything less than 500, not just from a record perspective, but also from an psyche/home court, locker-room perspective.

I think there could be some huge changes for this team if we drop a bunch of these games.

As a fan, I'm pretty nervous... But I honestly believe we can come out of this with at least a 7-3 record.

From a more detached perspective, it seems hard to imagine, with how the Lakers have played, that they could come off this run with a winning record, but it's a fascinating situation to observe.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#86 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:02 pm

LaMaquina1 wrote:well we lost to Philly already...
denver- W (revenge)
cleveland- W (we should really really really win this one, although LA has let me down b4)

The next 2 against teams they will be in the hunt with for a final spot is huge. They need at least a split of these games. Do the Lakers keep their pick if they're in the lotto this year?
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#87 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:20 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:
denver- W (revenge)

The next 2 against teams they will be in the hunt with for a final spot is huge. They need at least a split of these games. Do the Lakers keep their pick if they're in the lotto this year?
If you're talking about the one going to Phoenix.....yeah it's top 14 protected, then yeah we keep it.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#88 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:39 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:
denver- W (revenge)

If you're talking about the one going to Phoenix.....yeah it's top 14 protected, then yeah we keep it.

Ok, cool thanks. I guess it's protected next year as well? That's supposed to be the big draft anyways.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#89 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Jan 6, 2013 1:38 am

Neutral 123 wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:The next 2 against teams they will be in the hunt with for a final spot is huge. They need at least a split of these games. Do the Lakers keep their pick if they're in the lotto this year?

Ok, cool thanks. I guess it's protected next year as well? That's supposed to be the big draft anyways.
Trust me these next few drafts will be weak, college basketball isn't the same as it was even 10 years ago. A lot of guys pump up Shabazz Muhammad and others but trust me these cats aren't going to change a franchise over night. Even Muhammad is going to take 3-4 years to develop before he really ready to carry a game.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
ennui
General Manager
And1: 955

Post#90 » by ennui » Sun Jan 6, 2013 1:39 am

It's gonna be ugly. I for one will be going down with the ship. Women and children can leave.
C'mon, you apes! You wanna live forever?
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#91 » by gaspar » Sun Jan 6, 2013 8:27 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote: Do the Lakers keep their pick if they're in the lotto this year?

No, it's not. If the Lakers miss playoffs the pick automatically goes to Phoenix. If the Lakers make the playoffs the Cavs have the rights to swap picks with LAL (Lakers would get the least favorable of CLE, MIA and SAC 1st round picks and then send it to Phoenix). Either way, the Lakers don't have a 1st round pick in this draft.
TheRealLakersGM
Ballboy
And1: 0

This will happen in the next 10 days 

Post#92 » by TheRealLakersGM » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:02 am

It is painful to watch our beloved Lakers play these days. Never thought THIS team could be 15-18 in January, shocking…

What happened to us? In just over the last 18 months (March 2011 – current) we were the favorite to win 3-rd title in a row to this???....

But things will only get worse in the next 6 days. We will lose to Houston and San Antonio, and when we will be losing to OKC at home on January 11-th we will hear: “We want Phil” chants again. But it will not matter anymore, Phil is not coming back. We really blew it with him, big time…

Many of you here want to trade Gasol, it is not going to happen. What if Dwight decides to leave in July, then what???

Most of our problems these days are defensive oriented. We score over 100 points a game, but we just cannot stop teams defensively… Absolutely pathetic… We are old and slow. We lack confidence, and we have a “loser” mentality.

I am tired of all this crap, tired of after games excuses. We cannot play like this anymore. What the hell is going on with this team? Things have to get chippy in the locker room. Get the freaking fire, go and burn teams, come out like gorillas and destroy the opposition. Shove, push, kick them, whatever it takes…

Management, you have to do something. Get 2-3 defensive minded guys, whatever the cost is at this point. Who freaking cares anymore? This is about pride now. You’ve got to go ALL IN now, ALL IN…

This ship is sinking, but it is not too late to get it right. And I truly believe 10 days from now we will see a different, rejuvenated Lakers team. The team that will draw the line in the sand, the team that will fight for each other, the team that will stop making excuses, the team that will win the championship in June. THEY WILL SHUT UP AND GET IT RIGHT.
swag2011
Senior
And1: 17

Re: This will happen in the next 10 days 

Post#93 » by swag2011 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:30 am

lol. I'm glad you're optimistic. You would think the lakers decide to "get it right" and become rejuvenated after going 0-11 in the preseason and firing Mike Brown after 1-4 start. You would think they decide to get it together after D'Antoni gets hired. You would think they decide to get it together after that 5 or 6 game losing streak to teams like Cleveland and Houston in December. You would think they decide to get it together after Nash came back. You would think after being around .500 and below the entire season they would start to get it right. Nope, still same ol' lakers.

LOL at you thinking management is going to get some defensive minded guys. This is the same management that has passed up on barbosa, pietrus, kenyon martin, cdr, delonte west etc this past summer. They aren't the best, but they would've at least made our bench SOMETHING. look at who we're stuck with on the bench. Nothing but trash (except Jordan Hill)

Not trying to be negative, but this team hasn't given me hope they can turn it around. In games we go down by 18 points or so, only to make a miraculous come back in the 4th, only to be let down, as it has shown time and time again.

We gotta coach that thinks practicing defense for a half hour is going to help LOL. What a joke. I'd still try to trade Gasol because this team needs a major shake around at this point and he's our only trade able piece. Love the guy, but he's overstayed his welcome. Try to go after an athletic defensive minded 3, maybe get a draft pick or 2. Sign Delonte West. Waive DJO, Sacre, Clark. All are a waste of space.

I also don't think it's too late to get it right. But management, coaching, and the team itself hasn't given me any reason to believe it will all of a sudden turn around. But i'm still gunna root for my Lakers through thick and thin.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,808

Post#94 » by TyCobb » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:02 am

Do you foresee any particular trades?
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
EnigmaticProblem
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#95 » by EnigmaticProblem » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:59 pm

The first two posts in this thread make it appear as if the sky has fallen-- It's on the ground, all around us.
vmor
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#96 » by vmor » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:42 pm

If Dr Buss stopped listening to Jimmy and and followed Jeanie, a lot could happen in 10 days :D
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#97 » by ak7 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:43 pm

Won't happen. Management loves Pau too much, as does Kobe. Nobody wants to suck up their pride, including Kobe.
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

31-18 

Post#98 » by Lost Angel » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:50 pm

this is what we need to accomplish the rest of the way to even have a chance at the playoffs....(if the rest of the top 8 maintains their current pace)

do you think it's possible? is trading Gasol necessary to accomplishing this goal?

what do the Lakers need to do to make the playoffs?
pp34thetruth_
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Re: 31-18 

Post#99 » by pp34thetruth_ » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:02 pm

celtic fan here, love LA and california, but gotta admit that this year the western conference is really tough, we as celtics are really lucky because in EC we still have a bunch of crappy teams that we know we can beat them easily. meanwhile western conference's teams are much better in terms of depth and talent,
your real problem IMO is DH12, i'm quite sure playing with him is not easy, he likes to talk too much yet he still hasnt won anything in his career, i mean he's acting like he's kobe bryant, but kb8 has 5 rings...

"We have to play like we like each other. Even if we don't want to be friends off the court, whatever that may be, when we step in between the lines or we step in the locker room or the gym, we have to respect each other and what we bring to the table."
those are pretty strong words...

Laker at Heart wrote:8th seed in the west is currently on pace for 45 wins, but I think the minimum to get into the playoffs will be more around 47-48 wins. Here are the records the Lakers need to achieve for the remainder of the season to get the necessary wins:

Final Wins: W-L record needed
45: 30-19
46: 31-18
47: 32-17
48: 33-16
49: 34-15
50: 35-14

IMO you wont make the playoffs
GreenMachine wrote:Sorry folks, your dreams of a 10 win season are going to be nightmares. Not happening. We will be in the playoffs next year.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Re: 31-18 

Post#100 » by Doormatt » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:21 pm

oh look, a celtic fan who thinks dwight howard of all people is our problem. great analysis, A+ friend.

and yes i do think the lakers will make the playoffs. i am of the opinion that this team will figure it out, the offense will be brilliant, and the defense will improve to average. dwight will get better, hes obviously not 100%. nash will be better especially if he is allowed to control more of the offense. pau cant get worse so theres that.

now i dont think we have any chance in the playoffs where good teams can focus on our weaknesses for a whole series. unless we get a major trade.
#doorgek

Return to Los Angeles Lakers