ImageImageImageImageImage

A turnaround is always possible

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Lehnny
Sophomore
And1: 1

A turnaround is always possible 

Post#1 » by Lehnny » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:11 pm

I know everyone's feeling really pessimistic about our chances this season after all of the early season turmoil. However I want to point to everyone that there is in fact very recent example of how things can turn around from this very year. That's right I'm talking about the team that no one in LA remembers exists, the L.A. Kings.

The parallels:
Came into the season after a heralded off-season touted as potential championship contenders.
Came off to a terrible start and fired their coach and brought in a new one mid-season.
Had ridiculous injuries that made you wonder if the team was cursed (seriously one of the main players got injured eating PANCAKES! http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 30523.html )
Snuck into the playoffs as an 8th seed.

What happened then?
They flipped a switch and went one of the most dominant playoff runs ever, going 16 and 4.

Essentially guys, keep the faith, if it's happened once it can happen again.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: A turnaround is always possible 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Right now this team lacks identity...
Is it Kobe's team? Is it Dwights team? Is it Nash's team?
What style of play does it represent?

Total speculation, but to me it's Nash's team now... I think much of what's been going on has been to make Nash happy/comfortable without pissing off Dwight... Because I think Nash is the most fragile... He's old, probably a little tired, and I think if we don't have a legit shot at a title this season, he'll retire.

But along with trying to get Dwight to resign with us, and trying to get Nash in the right mind-set, you still have uber-compettitive Kobe... Who while Nash is out, and while Dwight is returning to full strength from his back, is trying to lead and just win some games... But I don't think anyone is listening...

I've never been Kobe's biggest fan on here. I respect him and I think I value his career more here as it winds down... But to me, there isn't anyone else on the team that can tell these guys how to get into the right head-space to contend for multiple championships... But I get the feeling, nobody thinks they have to listen to him.

Maybe I just put on as big a tinfoil hat as the MensRea/Tien contingent, but that's just what I see...

So while I think this team could absolutely tear things up with the talent they have, I don't expect a Turnaround until they figure the basics out.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Wreckus13
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#3 » by Wreckus13 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:38 pm

But that kings team was one of the best defensive hockey teams all season, they just could not score. Not so much with the Lakers
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#4 » by Optms » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Kilroy wrote:I've never been Kobe's biggest fan on here. I respect him and I think I value his career more here as it winds down... But to me, there isn't anyone else on the team that can tell these guys how to get into the right head-space to contend for multiple championships... But I get the feeling, nobody thinks they have to listen to him.

Do feel that may have something to do with his play on the court?

I feel the same way to be honest. It may be that having all the offensive options on the team that we do, they just get a little exhausted of having to have Kobe shoot 20-25 times a night with the results not changing any. But I feel that is more on the coach than it is on Kobe.
Father Time
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#5 » by Father Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:54 pm

We just need that one guy who leaves nothing on the floor. A Faried or Varejao type, or someone like that who is just constant effort and energy. Right now I don't see anyone on our team capable of giving that.
"There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them." - Popovich

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone.
IamBBAnalysis
Pro Prospect
And1: 495

Post#6 » by IamBBAnalysis » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Optms wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I've never been Kobe's biggest fan on here. I respect him and I think I value his career more here as it winds down... But to me, there isn't anyone else on the team that can tell these guys how to get into the right head-space to contend for multiple championships... But I get the feeling, nobody thinks they have to listen to him.

Do feel that may have something to do with his play on the court?

I feel the same way to be honest. It may be that having all the offensive options on the team that we do, they just get a little exhausted of having to have Kobe shoot 20-25 times a night with the results not changing any. But I feel that is more on the coach than it is on Kobe.

Not exactly related but Kobe was getting much more "off the ball play" and scoring opportunities around the hoop. Since D'Antonni has come along we've seen more isos and less off the ball scoring from Kobe. Kobe is very average in 1 on 1 play now because of age but he is still brilliant off the ball...cutting, moving...anytime his defender is off balance or out of position. But I don't see the coach getting him into those positions.

Side note...was the Princeton really bad? It seemed to fit the personnel and seemed to help get easy looks. Hard to say. It never really got a chance. But we can say that the defensive woes and energy we saw then have not improved since that time.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#7 » by Kilroy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:43 pm

The princeton wasn't bad... It might have worked out better in the end. The problem was that Brown wasn't managing the team correctly.
Honestly, I think the real problem was that Nash was lost out there, and Brown wasn't adapting to HIM... I think the rest of the pieces would have worked themselves out, but I think Nash was the big question mark.... I really think they want this to be Nash's team for the remainder of his career.

Accepting the fact that Nash will run the offense when he gets back, I think what needs to happen is the team needs to be reminded that even when Nash gets back, they need to look to Kobe to lead them to a championship.

No matter what you think about Kobe's selfishness, or Defensive commitment, or whatever... If you look around that locker-room, who's the one guy you could believe could lead you to a championship?

Nash is a complete offensive Basketball player... He's a great leader, and I know he could get us to a championship... But Kobe could win it for us.

This team needs an edge to it... That's what breeds fire and determination.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,577

Post#8 » by Asianiac_24 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:37 pm

Until everyone on our team finds out their exact roles and play better defense, we'll never get there. Our defense right now is putrid, and Miami/OKC would just dominate us every game by running the break with our pathetic transition defense. Kobe and Gasol needs to step up their defensive game, their defense is ridiculously bad
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#9 » by supaflash » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:30 am

Well you can see D'antoni tinkering, so he's not set yet. Tinkering on the fly is not easy while still trying to win, which is probably why he's riding Kobe so much. We have to realize he is adjusting and learning just like the players are to him and his system. I thinks Steve will help because he will get the ball out of Kobe's hands to have to do the screen roll all the time and be the creator. It is very hard to be both distributor and score to keep the defense honest and on it's heels.

I think we need a defensive scheme or identity. Some schemes just don't work without the right types of players and energy level. Just look at Miami, their overplaying and perimeter pressure is getting picked apart because they are a little older in areas and their energy level isn't the same as the last few years. For once I think we might be a tad better off with Phil's old overplay and funnel system. But regardless, we need a system and philosophy that can help cover weaknesses. Even if Dwight, Kobe, and Metta are all playing elite D, if teams can just continually attack Pau/Jamison and our PGs and pick and roll us to death. We should take a page from the Mavs of a couple years ago. Aside from Marion and Kidd, not much of that roster was great defenders but they did well. I wouldn't mind seeing us mix some zone in from time to time.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#10 » by Dr Aki » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 am

bring back the SOS defense and dare teams to beat us from the weakside corner 3
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#11 » by Jajwanda » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:52 am

I would not be surprised if L.A. shipped out both Metta and Gasol. If you lack athleticism at the 1-2 spots and your C needs help inside, you have to make up for that. The forward positions are the great equalizers on the court. Their versatility in terms of shot-blocking, team defense/switches and what not is what makes great defensive teams. The Lakers totally lack athleticism there and even if they take a talent downgrade, taking on the right young guy players at those spots would make a big difference.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#12 » by TyCobb » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:24 am

Are you saying we need to pull off a Jeff Carter-esque trade and we're guaranteed a championship?
Git r done Mitch!
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#13 » by supaflash » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:00 am

I honestly think we could run Metta at the 4 for long periods of time. He's faster then most 4s and just as strong and his range is on target this year. He would probably be fine defensively against 80% of the league this year and for the times he gets burnt by height/size/power he would get easy buckets on the other end. Look how much success NY, OKC, and Miami have had with their big SF playing PF. Another guy we could look at trading for in a multi team deal might be Gallinari, who has the size to play most 4s, is a good defender, and would stretch the floor.
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#14 » by Marionettetc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 am

supaflash wrote:I honestly think we could run Metta at the 4 for long periods of time. He's faster then most 4s and just as strong and his range is on target this year. He would probably be fine defensively against 80% of the league this year and for the times he gets burnt by height/size/power he would get easy buckets on the other end. Look how much success NY, OKC, and Miami have had with their big SF playing PF. Another guy we could look at trading for in a multi team deal might be Gallinari, who has the size to play most 4s, is a good defender, and would stretch the floor.

That's a pretty good idea actually. 4's traditionally need some sort of post game but in A'ntoni's offense shooting is prioritized.

Do you think he could contest other power forwards though? Like defensively I mean, he hasn't had any lift in years and I'm not so sure he could handle the help defenses he would have to rotate to.
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#15 » by Dr Aki » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:28 am

Marionettetc wrote:
supaflash wrote:I honestly think we could run Metta at the 4 for long periods of time. He's faster then most 4s and just as strong and his range is on target this year. He would probably be fine defensively against 80% of the league this year and for the times he gets burnt by height/size/power he would get easy buckets on the other end. Look how much success NY, OKC, and Miami have had with their big SF playing PF. Another guy we could look at trading for in a multi team deal might be Gallinari, who has the size to play most 4s, is a good defender, and would stretch the floor.

That's a pretty good idea actually. 4's traditionally need some sort of post game but in A'ntoni's offense shooting is prioritized.

Do you think he could contest other power forwards though? Like defensively I mean, he hasn't had any lift in years and I'm not so sure he could handle the help defenses he would have to rotate to.

of course its a good idea... FOR THE REGULAR SEASON

what do you is going to happen in the playoffs if you let teams like OKC and miami play durant and lebron at the 4?
Marionettetc
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Marionettetc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:30 am

Aki wrote:
Marionettetc wrote:

of course its a good idea... FOR THE REGULAR SEASON

what do you is going to happen in the playoffs if you let teams like OKC and miami play durant and lebron at the 4?

I'm not sure what you're getting at Aki, Ron guards those guys anyways.

Are you saying putting Durant and Lebron at the 4 opens up more threats at the 3?
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#17 » by Dr Aki » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 am

Marionettetc wrote:
Aki wrote:of course its a good idea... FOR THE REGULAR SEASON

Are you saying putting Durant and Lebron at the 4 opens up more threats at the 3?

the question is all about style of play.

do u think this lakers team can keep up with OKC or miami playing small ball?
Marionettetc
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Marionettetc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:37 am

Aki wrote:
Marionettetc wrote:
Aki wrote:of course its a good idea... FOR THE REGULAR SEASON

the question is all about style of play.

do u think this lakers team can keep up with OKC or miami playing small ball?

Oh, no. I don't think they can keep up with either team anyways to be honest. I was just responding to Flash's hypothetical solution to our 4 situation this year while Pau and Nash are out.

I expect someone to be traded at some point, and until then I don't see the Lakers breaking .500
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#19 » by tugs » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:04 am

yep. agree on the team not having any identity. the Kobe ball hog teams back then had an identity, all Kobe. this team's like a confused teenager, torn if he's still a child, an adult, prefers to live the life of the opposite sex, etc.

hard to sort a problem when you actually have legit number of solutions. agree though that this should be Nash's team. Kobe playing (and willing) more off ball and Dwight being Dwight.
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#20 » by kobe808lak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Too many holes on this team, we're first round fodder.

They have neglected bringing in young talent for too long.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers