Dwight knows where he'll sign...

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Jimbacosystem
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Dwight knows where he'll sign... 

Post#21 » by Jimbacosystem » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:22 pm

fdr2012 wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:Making it simple....it's called needing to keep leverage. Simple as that. If he say's he's resigning with the Lakers and we haven't even gotten to summer yet, what good does it do for him to have an agent ?

Same reason he didn't sign an extension in October when he had the chance, gotta keep leverage. It's a business and smart basketball fans should understand that, no need to hate on a player for looking at business first.

Let me ask you this question - if the Lakers don't make the playoffs or are knocked out in the first round, do you honestly believe Dwight re-signs with a team, knowing that he'd be wasting at least one more year? Do you think Dwight commits long-term to a team with a 35 YO Kobe, a 40 YO Nash and a 33 YO Gasol who can barely play as is? Does that make sense for Dwight? Is that what he wanted to leave Orlando for?

Do you think he doesn't even look at places like Houston, Dallas or the Hawks?

Explain to me how any of those teams is more compelling?

Dallas? Just as old as the Lakers and they will only have the ability to sign 1 star at max even if they get rid of marions deal somehow and dump all other cap holds. Dirk alone is $22 million next year... How is that a better situation?

Atlanta?, sure it is his home and all that but does he really want to play with Horford and Smith and himself all on big deals and no flexibility moving forward? The Hawks will have to renounce all their FA's to sign both him and smith to big deals... does not make alot of sense to me

Houston? i guess it is a possibility if Houston dump Asik's deal on someone but Houston is gonna need a ton of roster turnover now that Harden is there... Harden and Lin will never work together because both have to dominate the ball... Is it a possibility, sure, but not likely

As for D12 coming back to the Lakers, they have one excellent selling point, ALL THE CAP coming off in 2014... they will convince D12 that he might need to be patient for a year... but after that it is all unicorns and virgins...

The only risk of him not signing is an internal rift or CP3 and him teaming up elsewhere
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#22 » by deNIEd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Jimbacosystem wrote:As for D12 coming back to the Lakers, they have one excellent selling point, ALL THE CAP coming off in 2014... they will convince D12 that he might need to be patient for a year... but after that it is all unicorns and virgins...

What big FA's is even out there in 2014?

All the good young RFA's will be matched by their original teams. Unless you are counting on players opting out or teams declining on options...you're looking at...

UFA - 2014
PG: Kyle Lowry, Roney Stuckey, Ramon Sessions
SG: Richard Hamilton, Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant
SF: Paul Pierce, Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Caron Butler
PF: Kris Humprhies, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol
C : Andrew Bogut, Marcin Gortat, Matt Bonner

On top of that, the Lakers would have approximately $28 million to split among 8 players....Sounds like a dynasty!!!
Jimbacosystem
Ballboy

Post#23 » by Jimbacosystem » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:35 pm

deNIEd wrote:
Jimbacosystem wrote:As for D12 coming back to the Lakers, they have one excellent selling point, ALL THE CAP coming off in 2014... they will convince D12 that he might need to be patient for a year... but after that it is all unicorns and virgins...

What big FA's is even out there in 2014?

All the good young RFA's will be matched by their original teams. Unless you are counting on players opting out or teams declining on options...you're looking at...

UFA - 2014
PG: Kyle Lowry, Roney Stuckey, Ramon Sessions
SG: Richard Hamilton, Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant
SF: Paul Pierce, Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Caron Butler
PF: Kris Humprhies, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol
C : Andrew Bogut, Marcin Gortat, Matt Bonner

On top of that, the Lakers would have approximately $28 million to split among 8 players....Sounds like a dynasty!!!

obviously your list isn't serious nor am i gonna put the full list out but just in the SG market you have excluded Iggy, monta, and OJ Mayo

Also, your assumption that all guys with player options or eto's won't be available is convenient

melo, LBJ, Bosth, wade, Gay, Randolph, etc... all fit that group...

enjoy your kool aid
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#24 » by deNIEd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Jimbacosystem wrote:obviously your list isn't serious nor am i gonna put the full list out but just in the SG market you have excluded Iggy, monta, and OJ Mayo

Also, your assumption that all guys with player options or eto's won't be available is convenient

melo, LBJ, Bosth, wade, Gay, Randolph, etc... all fit that group...

enjoy your kool aid

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/85896 ... -2013-2014

Opps forgot Monta and Iggy. You're delusional if you think Mayo isn't going to opt out this season and get paid. He is worth substantially more than his $4 million contract and has player option this season, so he isn't an option. Monta and Iggy escaped me when I was skimming the lists because they have their option this season (or UFA in 2014).

Melo, LBJ, Bosh, and Wade are essentially unavailable. Melo is in his dream scenario. Wade isn't going to leave Miami. And if Heat win again this season, the trio breaking themselves up is a highly unlikely scenario.

If you're going to be a pricker and want a complete list

Boston - Avery Bradley (Restricted), Paul Pierce
Brooklyn - Kirs Humphries
Chicago - Luol Deng, Richard Hamltion, Kirk Hinrich
Cleveland - CJ Miles
Dallas - Vince Carter, Dirk Nowitzki
Detroit - Greg Monroe (Restricted), Rodney Stuckey
Golden - Andrew Bogut
Indiana - Danny Granger, Paul George (Restricted)
LAC - Caron Butler, Eric Bledsoe (Restricted)
Memphis - Rudy Gay (Player Option), Zach Randolph (Player Option)
Miami - Chris Bosh (ETO), Lebron James (ETO), Dwyane Wade (ETO)
Milwaukee - Larry Sanders (Restricted)
New York - Carmelo Anthony (ETO), Amare Stoudemire (ETO)
OKC - Thabo Sefolsha
Philadelphia - Evan Turner (Restricted)
Phoenix - Marcin Gortat
Sacramento - DeMarcus Cousins (Restricted)
San Antonio - Tim Duncan (Player Option)
Toronto - Ed Davis (Restricted), Bargnani (ETO), Kyle Lowry
Utah - Derric Favors (Restricted)
Washington - John Wall (Restricted)
'

Of That list, Give up on any hopes of signing a restricted young player. When was the last time a team let their rookie go unmatched.

Pierce, Duncan, Dirk are not leaving their home towns, nor would they be attractive players for LA anyways

The players that have options - Lebron, Bosh, Wade, Carmelo, Amare, Gay, Randolph are all in great situations. Unless things change, you would be delusional to think they are realistic options to count on.

Have fun throwing your $28 mil at...

Humprhies, Miles, Stuckey, Bogut, Granger, Butler, Sefolsa, Gortat, Lowry
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#25 » by fdr2012 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:20 am

Jimbacosystem wrote:Explain to me how any of those teams is more compelling?

Dallas? Just as old as the Lakers and they will only have the ability to sign 1 star at max even if they get rid of marions deal somehow and dump all other cap holds. Dirk alone is $22 million next year... How is that a better situation?

Atlanta?, sure it is his home and all that but does he really want to play with Horford and Smith and himself all on big deals and no flexibility moving forward? The Hawks will have to renounce all their FA's to sign both him and smith to big deals... does not make alot of sense to me

Houston? i guess it is a possibility if Houston dump Asik's deal on someone but Houston is gonna need a ton of roster turnover now that Harden is there... Harden and Lin will never work together because both have to dominate the ball... Is it a possibility, sure, but not likely

As for D12 coming back to the Lakers, they have one excellent selling point, ALL THE CAP coming off in 2014... they will convince D12 that he might need to be patient for a year... but after that it is all unicorns and virgins...

The only risk of him not signing is an internal rift or CP3 and him teaming up elsewhere

Teague/Williams/Smith/Horford/Dwight looks pretty compelling to me.

Houston doesn't need to dump Asik to sign Dwight and Asik can be easily traded in any case. A team built around Dwight/Harden can contend for years to come.

If Dallas can dump Marion, they can maybe convince Paul to Join Dwight and form their own big 3.

I don't think Dwight sticks around for the promise of Capspace in 2014. He didn't bolt from Orlando for capspace.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#26 » by myersia » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:26 am

Also keep in mind that he likes big markets. Dwight said it himself "he's not just a player he's a entertainer".

Only team that scares me is Atlanta because JSmoove is there. But Smith has said that he is not happy with Atlanta's front office in the past. Maybe that will scare Dwight I hope lol.
PandGneverfold
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#27 » by PandGneverfold » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:53 am

Not to sound arrogant but the odds of another star coming here to play with Howard are higher than Howard leaving. The lakers don't lose superstars like that,and thinking it will happen this time is wishful thinking. This trade doesn't get done without some assurances. Howard is only 26,he is looking at long term here. The lakers have always put quality around their stars at some point in their careers,and Howard isn't going to be any different.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Post#28 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 am

PandGneverfold wrote:Not to sound arrogant but the odds of another star coming here to play with Howard are higher than Howard leaving. The lakers don't lose superstars like that,and thinking it will happen this time is wishful thinking. This trade doesn't get done without some assurances. Howard is only 26,he is looking at long term here. The lakers have always put quality around their stars at some point in their careers,and Howard isn't going to be any different.

Well...I don't think what you said sounds arrogant...I think it sounds pretty accurate.
I'm not convinced the Lakers had any hard and fast assurances, but if they were using history as a guide, they'd have to be pretty confident that he'd stay with them once they got him.

Just to be 100% clear, I am sure in my own mind Howard meant he was staying with the Lakers. It just strikes me as strange behaviour to say he knows where he's signing without just saying 'the Lakers'. Either name the team, or don't say you know where you're signing. He doesn't need leverage. He's getting a max deal. I'd be stunned if he went anywhere else, and the only way I could even vaguely reconcile it would be if he were trying to form a superteam with maybe Paul and Smith in Atlanta, or similar, and frankly I think the chances of that happening are extremely low.

It was more his behaviour/comment I was wondering about, I guess. Maybe it's cultural? If a local (Australian) footy player who was going into free agency said they knew who they were going to sign with, they would be hounded to their grave until they named the team. If they rolled out the 'my agent is talking with <current team> and I'm certainly hoping to come to terms' or some other generic statement, it's be considered normal, and they'd be left relatively alone.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,490

Post#29 » by The Laker Kid » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:37 am

Howard can leave and we'll move on to the next guy.. simple as that. This is not the Cavs; we don't get butthurt when a superstar leaves. Don't want to stay? Fine... leave and don't let the door hit you. Next please.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#30 » by fdr2012 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:37 am

PandGneverfold wrote:Not to sound arrogant but the odds of another star coming here to play with Howard are higher than Howard leaving. The lakers don't lose superstars like that,and thinking it will happen this time is wishful thinking. This trade doesn't get done without some assurances. Howard is only 26,he is looking at long term here. The lakers have always put quality around their stars at some point in their careers,and Howard isn't going to be any different.

He's actually 27 and he would have signed the extension if he was sure he was going to stay. There were no assurances given when the trade went through.

Howard will be 28 when the next season starts. He has one more prime contract. Does he sign that contract with the Lakers if they don't contend this season for the hope Lebron is coming in 2014?
PandGneverfold
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#31 » by PandGneverfold » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Everyone knows the only reason Howard didn't sign an extension immediately is because he gets more money if he hits free agency. Howard will be a laker.
Jimbacosystem
Ballboy

Post#32 » by Jimbacosystem » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:03 pm

fdr2012 wrote:
Jimbacosystem wrote:Explain to me how any of those teams is more compelling?

Teague/Williams/Smith/Horford/Dwight looks pretty compelling to me.

Houston doesn't need to dump Asik to sign Dwight and Asik can be easily traded in any case. A team built around Dwight/Harden can contend for years to come.

If Dallas can dump Marion, they can maybe convince Paul to Join Dwight and form their own big 3.

I don't think Dwight sticks around for the promise of Capspace in 2014. He didn't bolt from Orlando for capspace.

you like that atlanta line up? sounds like a 3-4 seed at best especially since they wouldn't get anyone else to put there because they would have to renounce all players rights to sign both smith and D12

Asik can be moved for sure... to who is the question... who is gonna take on $14 million plus in 2 years? His 8/8/8 cap hit only applies to houston... as for harden... it is pretty evident that he is a ball dominant 2 who won't be able to play in a system where the PG is the distributor ( sounds like a triangle guy but there is no triangle out there). Anyway, Harden/D12 combo sounds like a 5-6 seed in the west. Don't forget they got lin at $8 million per

Dallas with CP3 is the only realy possibility in my eyes but I doubt CP3 passes on that extra year... he isn't a spring chicken anymore. He will be 28 when he signs a new contract and 33 when it is over (assuming 5 years).

The logical place for D12 to land is Golden State... but they would have to maneuver alot of salary off the books to make it happen.

Anyway, i don't see D12 leaving
Kalidogg24
Head Coach
And1: 827

Post#33 » by Kalidogg24 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:00 pm

PandGneverfold wrote:Everyone knows the only reason Howard didn't sign an extension immediately is because he gets more money if he hits free agency. Howard will be a laker.

Well if you go in the general board you'll realize that not "everyone" knows this lol.
REST IN PARADISE GOAT
#TeamFlightBrothers
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#34 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:38 am

3 pages of this crap, with outsiders who want to really just add a level of "doubt" to the matter. How about this...who give a rusty F*** if he signs back here or not. And I'm LMAO at the Kings fan who thinks he has the whole cap thing figured out when we don't even know the automatic adjustments for the cap from here on out. All we know at the moment is that in the summer of 2014 the Lakers are expecting an amount of around $60 mil.

Pretty damn sure the Lakers aren't going to sign Gasol nor Kobe back at the amounts they're making now.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#35 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 pm

If you take his exact quote, and take every 12th letter (his jersey number of course), it spells "W-I-Z-A-R-D-S"...

Hmmm....
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#36 » by LApwnd » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm

if he leaves he leaves at least we dont have to worry bout giving Bynum a penny, dumbarse should've signed the ext. the day of the trade :lol:
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#37 » by LApwnd » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:29 pm

deNIEd wrote:
Have fun throwing your $28 mil at...

Humprhies, Miles, Stuckey, Bogut, Granger, Butler, Sefolsa, Gortat, Lowry

dont doubt Mitch magic wand!, doesn't have to be a signing, he can trade too and with the repeater tax some team will give an arm an leg come then to get out from contracts :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers