Where is Judge Kobe to make a ruling?
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Re: how long before another coach mutiny 

Post#42 » by fdr2012 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:36 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:Not like you guys lit up the league in the playoffs.
Your turnaround has more to do with getting guys like Kidd and Felton into the team.

You're talking about this season and I'm talking about last season. The Knicks went 18-6 LAST season after D'antoni was fired with the exact same personnel that played .400 ball for D'antoni. Felton and Kidd were not on that team.

Trust me, the guy is simply terrible. Turns gold into garbage. The sooner Kobe turns on him, the better off the Lakers will be.
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#43 » by Gek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:40 pm

It's not D'antoni's fault Melo is a diva and wouldn't play for him. It's amazing (as Lakers fan's will tell you this season) the difference between a coasting team and a trying team.
#teamhermes
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#44 » by Slava » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:47 pm

fdr2012 wrote:
Your turnaround has more to do with getting guys like Kidd and Felton into the team.

You're talking about this season and I'm talking about last season. The Knicks went 18-6 LAST season after D'antoni was fired with the exact same personnel that played .400 ball for D'antoni. Felton and Kidd were not on that team.

Trust me, the guy is simply terrible. Turns gold into garbage. The sooner Kobe turns on him, the better off the Lakers will be.

No I'm not talking about this season. That 18-6 stretch could also do with a lop sided schedule, players recovering from injuries and a few other things.

You lost in the playoffs by a point differential of 18 per game and won a close game by 2 points.

I do understand that Lin was injured for the playoffs but that's not like you guys made a turnaround as soon as D'Antoni left.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
CrazyKnicks
General Manager
And1: 1,477

Post#45 » by CrazyKnicks » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:50 pm

We went through this last year with Melo, D'antoni wanted Melo to "space the floor" and spot up at the corner three while Melo wanted to post up. Melo eventually began breaking the plays which led to D'antoni "quitting".

That's the problem with D'antoni, stubborn and has one way of doing things and that's his system. He won't utilize players to their strength and will always ask them to play his style. Maybe Kobe has some say and can get through him, but I doubt it. You're better off firing him and having Bickerstaff become permanent head coach because your team is loaded with talent and doesn't need a great coach to win (look at the Heat's coach for example)...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#46 » by Kilroy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:51 pm

TyCobb wrote:"I don't find (playing with Howard) tough," Gasol said. "It's more the system right now that makes it tough at times, because (D'Antoni) wants four guys to be spread and one interior guy and it's a guard-oriented system, so that makes it tough.

"I think there's enough looks for both of us. But again, it's not a system that you post up a lot, so we'll see. We've just got to figure it out, but if you've got two great post-up players, you've got to utilize it."

"It's Pau who has to expand his game, and he'll expand out in the corner threes and he needs to take a couple, and we'll get him in the post when we can," D'Antoni said, emphasizing those last three words.

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

_______

The claws are out.

Me with Nash-Toni as coach...

Kobe says he gets it, MWP gets it, Pau certainly gets it, Howard seems OK with it, I'm sure Nash gets it...

Pau shooting corner 3s is not going to significantly improve this offense with the rest of the players we have, and does absolutely nothing to fix our biggest problem which is Defense... Trading Pau for a stretch 4 will likely make us worse not better... How is another shoot first player going to help offensive flow and how does that keep Dwight involved/happy? Especially since just about every heralded stretch 4 out there is even worse defensively than Pau?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#47 » by 21shumpshumpst » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:10 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:
fdr2012 wrote:

No I'm not talking about this season. That 18-6 stretch could also do with a lop sided schedule, players recovering from injuries and a few other things.

You lost in the playoffs by a point differential of 18 per game and won a close game by 2 points.

I do understand that Lin was injured for the playoffs but that's not like you guys made a turnaround as soon as D'Antoni left.

Tyson our starting C had the flu for game 1 and 2
Amare our starting PF was out game 3
Lin our starting pg was out the whole playoffs
Shumpert our starting sg was out games 2 - 5
Baron Davis our starting pg after Lin went down was out game 5.

That is our starting lineup right there who missed significant time in multiple games. We started the corpse of Mike Bibby in game 5.

Here is our starting lineup for game 3
C Tyson
PF Melo
SF Novak
SG Fields
PG Baron

Does that look like a healthy team to you?

That is like saying you are missing Gasol and Nash and expect to win a round in the playoffs starting Duhon and Jamison.
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#48 » by minifang » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:43 pm

After the 10+ games with Antni (no D and O), I can't say I'm pleased. A good coach should take his personnel and get the most out of them. He should make his players' strengths the teams' strengths. Players shouldn't have to adjust to him, it should be the other way around. That's why Phil is so good. He may preach the triangle, but it's more of a foundation and something to fall back on if all hell breaks loose. The bench mob (Farmar, Sasha, Brown, Odom, Trevor before he started, Radman, and Turiaf) rarely ever ran the triangle. They were allowed to play up and down at a fast paced. Posting up and the triangle was more reserved for the starting lineup with Gasol and Bynum in it.

Unless Pringles is willing to compromise his system for our bigs, we are not winning a championship this year. It's not just Pau, Dwight should be getting better looks and post ups too.
The Purple and Gold
Free Rider
Veteran
And1: 1,567

Post#49 » by Free Rider » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:08 pm

You would think given everything that happened with the Knicks, D'antoni would have learned to adapt his system to suit the personnel on this team, rather the force feed it down their throats. This guy is just as incompetent and stubborn as I thought he was. He's a one-trick pony that only knows how to coach one system, personnel be damned. He's desperately waiting for Nash to come back so he can save his offense, never mind the fact our defense is atrocious. He's wasting the talents of our best players on a system that doesn't play to their strengths. Meanwhile he's ignoring some of the largest flaws and deficiences on our team. What the Buss family ever saw in him is beyond me. Dude's got no business coaching an NBA team.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#50 » by 21shumpshumpst » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Free Rider wrote:You would think given everything that happened with the Knicks, D'antoni would have learned to adapt his system to suit the personnel on this team, rather the force feed it down their throats. This guy is just as incompetent and stubborn as I thought he was. He's a one-trick pony that only knows how to coach one system, personnel be damned. He's desperately waiting for Nash to come back so he can save his offense, never mind the fact our defense is atrocious. He's wasting the talents of our best players on a system that doesn't play to their strengths. Meanwhile he's ignoring some of the largest flaws and deficiences on our team. What the Buss family ever saw in him is beyond me. Dude's got no business coaching an NBA team.

This should be stickied in every board and a copy sent to every GM in the league.

Pringles is not an NBA coach. He is a disgrace to the coaching profession.
LaLaKeRs
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#51 » by LaLaKeRs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Free Rider wrote:You would think given everything that happened with the Knicks, D'antoni would have learned to adapt his system to suit the personnel on this team, rather the force feed it down their throats. This guy is just as incompetent and stubborn as I thought he was. He's a one-trick pony that only knows how to coach one system, personnel be damned. He's desperately waiting for Nash to come back so he can save his offense, never mind the fact our defense is atrocious. He's wasting the talents of our best players on a system that doesn't play to their strengths. Meanwhile he's ignoring some of the largest flaws and deficiences on our team. What the Buss family ever saw in him is beyond me. Dude's got no business coaching an NBA team.

And on top of that he is down to a 7-man-rotation. Kobe is playing 40plus minutes the last 7 games, has hit 43 minutes twice and 44 minutes 3 times in that span!!!!!! He is running Kobe into the ground infront of our eyes!!!!
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,652

Post#52 » by dockingsched » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:

This should be stickied in every board and a copy sent to every GM in the league.

the knicks are having success by running the same spread the floor lineup (melo/novak at the 4) that u guys are killing d'antoni for trying to run, lol
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#53 » by fdr2012 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:46 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:No I'm not talking about this season. That 18-6 stretch could also do with a lop sided schedule, players recovering from injuries and a few other things.

No - you're getting it completely wrong. The turnaround was instantaneous after D'antoni left. The schedule only became tougher towards the end of the season, but suddenly the team started playing defense.

As for the playoffs - we were down 2 starters (Lin/Shumpert) in all games, we lost our back up PG (Barron Davis) and then Amare for another game. There was no way to be competitive without a PG and our best perimeter defender. That playoff series was meaningless.
LaLaKeRs
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#54 » by LaLaKeRs » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:15 am

dockingsched wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:

the knicks are having success by running the same spread the floor lineup (melo/novak at the 4) that u guys are killing d'antoni for trying to run, lol

The Knicks have the players to do it. The Lakers DO NOT HAVE the players to play that style! Thats the big difference!!! And wanting Pau Gasol to spot up at the corner and shoot 3-pointers wont work, thats for sure!!
Free Rider
Veteran
And1: 1,567

Post#55 » by Free Rider » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:40 am

dockingsched wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:

It's not about the system, it's about whether you have the personnel to run it. Gasol and Melo are two completely different type of players. The run and gun, spread offense also worked wonders in Phoenix but that's because they had players that fit well into that offense. Not to mention there's this thing called defense that Mike D'Antoni doesn't seem to be all too concerned with. This is exactly why I hated this coaching hire. Guys like D'Antoni think "well it worked great in Phoenix, why shouldn't it work here" without any regard to who they have on their team.
Jimbacosystem
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#56 » by Jimbacosystem » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:13 am

I have been as skeptical of Mike D as anyone and thought the hire was a bad one..

However, i think it is prudent that we wait until everyone is healthy and we have played 20-25 games before we hang him...

I do believe we will be hanging him though. :D
gp123
Bench Warmer
And1: 75

Post#57 » by gp123 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:13 am

dockingsched wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:

how anyone can think Melo -- a young, athletic, highly skilled and probably the strongest natural small forward playing -- to Gasol -- a finesse center (at this stage of his career) -- would be equals playing as stretch forwards is mind boggling... You're right guy... I'm sure D'Antoni's offense would finally click if the Lakers had Lebron playing the power forward too.
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#58 » by Gek » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Dock was talking about the Knicks currently I believe, not the Lakers. Never did he compare Melo (who is now your PF, not SF) to Pau.

Your issues last season were a Diva named Melo not wanting to play for D'Antoni.

I live on the east coast and man do I hate east coast cities.
#teamhermes
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#59 » by kobe808lak » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 pm

THIS^^ Can't stand Antoni.

A true mark of a good coach is his flexibility and working with the pieces at his disposal and getting the most out of them. This has never been true with MDA.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,652

Post#60 » by dockingsched » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 pm

yeah, im talking about the knicks. all this hate on him from all these NY fans for trying to implement his system last yr and look at the knicks now, who are using his system.

anyways,

Gek wrote:Also I dont want to see any lakers fans go to the board of the next team that hires brown and look like bitter babies.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore

Return to Los Angeles Lakers