ImageImageImageImageImage

how long before another coach mutiny

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Re: how long before another coach mutiny 

Post#21 » by Gek » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:21 pm

fdr2012 wrote:As a Knicks fan, the best thing to happen to the organization is the past 10 years, was Melo pushing D'antoni out.

Really? I mean, really? Have you watched the Knicks longer than the last 2 years?

Firing Dantoni would do nothing but officially flush the season down the drain. Phil's not coming and no other coach would take the job after we fire 2 decent ones in the season.
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,409

Post#22 » by Patman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:55 pm

I doubt that MDA gets fired this season. The front office would basically be admitting that they f*cked up the hiring AND that the roster isn't good enough to be a winning team w/o the right system. We'll see when Nash comes back if MDA has any magic left.

This team was supposed to be a super-team like Miami and Boston when they first came together. Boston won a title their first year, and Miami went to the Finals despite having loads of system issues.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#23 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:35 pm

I never jumped on the fire MIke Brown thread and obviously D"Antoni won't be fired, well i doubt it anyways since it would make the Buss family look bad in this situation but when you hear the guy say that he's not going to Use Pau in the post because it's not Lakers basketball, it does make me lose complete faith in the guy.
rand0m
Junior
And1: 25

Post#24 » by rand0m » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:38 pm

MDA won't get fired. They are going to need to give him a shot with Nash and Pau. By the time we get a good amount of games in it will be too late to change coaches again (let alone being able to find one that could deliver).

Patman wrote:I doubt that MDA gets fired this season. The front office would basically be admitting that they f*cked up the hiring AND that the roster isn't good enough to be a winning team w/o the right system. We'll see when Nash comes back if MDA has any magic left.

This team was supposed to be a super-team like Miami and Boston when they first came together. Boston won a title their first year, and Miami went to the Finals despite having loads of system issues.

Only difference is Boston and Miami played defense from the start. We could definitely improve team defense but I don't think we have the personnel to defend on that level.
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#25 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:42 pm

It won't mmatter if you don't use Pau in the post though. He's never going to be good playing spot up because that's what D'Antoni wants.
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#26 » by fdr2012 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:21 am

Gek wrote:
fdr2012 wrote:As a Knicks fan, the best thing to happen to the organization is the past 10 years, was Melo pushing D'antoni out.

Really? I mean, really? Have you watched the Knicks longer than the last 2 years?

Firing Dantoni would do nothing but officially flush the season down the drain. Phil's not coming and no other coach would take the job after we fire 2 decent ones in the season.

Knicks are 36-4 since D'antoni got fired, basically with the same roster that D'antoni coached to a .400 record.

So yeah, he's that bad and a mutiny is the only thing that can save the Lakers.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,464

Post#27 » by dockingsched » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:26 am

fdr2012 wrote:
Gek wrote:

Knicks are 36-4 since D'antoni got fired, basically with the same roster that D'antoni coached to a .400 record.

So yeah, he's that bad and a mutiny is the only thing that can save the Lakers.

36-4? crazy, on pace to be better than the 72-10 bulls!!
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#28 » by fdr2012 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 am

dockingsched wrote:36-4? crazy, on pace to be better than the 72-10 bulls!!

Sorry, It's 36-12. 18-6 this season and 18-6 last season after D'antoni was fired.
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#29 » by Gek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:38 am

I think firing Zeke, eliminating your myriad of toxic contracts and signing veteran leadership all deserve to be in the conversation is all I'm saying.
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Patman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:35 am

rand0m wrote:MDA won't get fired. They are going to need to give him a shot with Nash and Pau. By the time we get a good amount of games in it will be too late to change coaches again (let alone being able to find one that could deliver).

Only difference is Boston and Miami played defense from the start. We could definitely improve team defense but I don't think we have the personnel to defend on that level.

The Celtics had a stingy D with Allen and Pierce as their wings. The Lakers don't have an excuse for playing better D, no matter who the coach is. They just have to bear down and do it. They don't look like they want to, though. One of the keys to a good defense is to not be discouraged for 48 minutes. Teams are gonna make shots, even tough ones, and they're gonna go on runs. You have to keep mentally strong. That doesn't require much talent, it's more heart, but the Lakers don't have that.

I think all the "Showtime" talk got to their heads. I really think they thought they were gonna come out of the gates flying. Same phenomenon happened to the Heat two years ago, but they bounced back well enough to go the Finals. We'll see with the Lakers.
JustAwesome
Analyst
And1: 78

Post#31 » by JustAwesome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:54 am

Miami had three franchise players that needed to learn how to play together. Chemistry isn't an instant or guaranteed thing. People who had high expectations for the Lakers simply did not understand that.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Patman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:20 am

JustAwesome wrote:Miami had three franchise players that needed to learn how to play together. Chemistry isn't an instant or guaranteed thing. People who had high expectations for the Lakers simply did not understand that.

Bosh is not a franchise player, he's a stat-stuffer. There's a fine line, but you can be a stat-stuffer w/o being franchise players. Shawn Marion was a good example. So was Andrei Kirilenko.

All of Kobe, Dwight, and Nash were able to win a round in the playoffs even with a less-than-good supporting cast. They're all more of franchise players than Bosh.

Kobe made Gasol a public target, but that was his way of calling out the whole team. He's not gonna call out Dwight in public. But the whole team needs to put their big boy pants on. Put some more work in. Do the things that won't show up on the stat sheet. If your shot isn't falling, that doesn't mean you can't D up on the other end.

I really think Nash is key to this whole thing. Yes, he's a bad defender, but I think when you have someone like Nash getting everyone involved in the offense, the team morale will be up, and everyone will play harder on both ends, and they'll also be more eager to cover for his defensive deficiencies.
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#33 » by fdr2012 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:03 am

Gek wrote:I think firing Zeke, eliminating your myriad of toxic contracts and signing veteran leadership all deserve to be in the conversation is all I'm saying.

Still, after MDA was fired from the Knicks last season, Woodson took the exact same team and led them to a 18-6 record during the final 24 games. Absolutely nothing different about the team other than the coach.
Imadogg
Banned User
And1: 250

Post#34 » by Imadogg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm

D'Antoni is already down to the 7 man rotation.. how long til we're back to complaining about Kobe's minutes played?
LaLaKeRs
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#35 » by LaLaKeRs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:35 pm

"It's Pau who has to expand his game, and he'll expand out in the corner threes and he needs to take a couple, and we'll get him in the post when we can," D'Antoni said, emphasizing those last three words.

wtf........
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#36 » by Kilroy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:45 pm

LaLaKeRs wrote:
"It's Pau who has to expand his game, and he'll expand out in the corner threes and he needs to take a couple, and we'll get him in the post when we can," D'Antoni said, emphasizing those last three words.

wtf........

Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#37 » by Slava » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:51 pm

fdr2012 wrote:
Gek wrote:I think firing Zeke, eliminating your myriad of toxic contracts and signing veteran leadership all deserve to be in the conversation is all I'm saying.

Still, after MDA was fired from the Knicks last season, Woodson took the exact same team and led them to a 18-6 record during the final 24 games. Absolutely nothing different about the team other than the coach.

Not like you guys lit up the league in the playoffs.
Your turnaround has more to do with getting guys like Kidd and Felton into the team.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#38 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:53 pm

The knicks starting backcourt was injured for the playoffs. Not that they would have beat Miami but they were fairly competitive without Lin or Shumpert.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#39 » by 21shumpshumpst » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:17 pm

LaLaKeRs wrote:

wtf........

OMG...haha..knicks fan here. I have lived through this and I can tell you guys that it only gets worse from here.

The guy is an idiot with a capital idiot. Your team is talented enough to be top 4 in the league just needs the right coach. Pringles is not an NBA level coach. He is a fraud. Hope your team is smart enough to fire this guy before he does irreparable damage.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#40 » by TyCobb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:30 pm

"I don't find (playing with Howard) tough," Gasol said. "It's more the system right now that makes it tough at times, because (D'Antoni) wants four guys to be spread and one interior guy and it's a guard-oriented system, so that makes it tough.

"I think there's enough looks for both of us. But again, it's not a system that you post up a lot, so we'll see. We've just got to figure it out, but if you've got two great post-up players, you've got to utilize it."

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

_______

The claws are out.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers