ImageImageImageImageImage

how long before another coach mutiny

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Re: how long before another coach mutiny 

Post#61 » by 21shumpshumpst » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:24 pm

dockingsched wrote:yeah, im talking about the knicks. all this hate on him from all these NY fans for trying to implement his system last yr and look at the knicks now, who are using his system.

anyways,

Gek wrote:Also I dont want to see any lakers fans go to the board of the next team that hires brown and look like bitter babies.

We are not using his system fully. Just pieces. People just love to throw that around as if its true.

If we were using his system Melo would be a point forward or would be camped at the corner.

We are using Melo isos in conjunction with PnR. We take good shots. We don't take THE FIRST SHOT AVAILABLE. Which is what causes the mismatches on D.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#62 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:44 pm

D'Antoni uses a lot of Kobe Isos in conjunction with PnR so i'm not sure I get your point. If anything I saw Melo take a ton of catch and shoot threes last night.
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#63 » by fdr2012 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:00 am

dockingsched wrote:yeah, im talking about the knicks. all this hate on him from all these NY fans for trying to implement his system last yr and look at the knicks now, who are using his system.

anyways,

Gek wrote:Also I dont want to see any lakers fans go to the board of the next team that hires brown and look like bitter babies.

We hate him because he was a bad coach, not because of his "system". You don't win without playing defense and adjusting to maximize your personnel. That's just basic common sense.

I hardly think any Knicks fans are bitter. We're doing pretty well right now. Just giving you our opinion after suffering through 3 years of bad coaching. We know D'antoni. Don't dismiss that.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,654

Post#64 » by dockingsched » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:14 am

rather listen to suns fans tbh, they know steve nash, u know d'antoni with for the most part a sorry ass roster and one yr of a superstar that never bought into his system.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#65 » by Gek » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:16 am

fdr2012 wrote:

anyways,

We hate him because he was a bad coach, not because of his "system". You don't win without playing defense and adjusting to maximize your personnel. That's just basic common sense.

I hardly think any Knicks fans are bitter. We're doing pretty well right now. Just giving you our opinion after suffering through 3 years of bad coaching. We know D'antoni. Don't dismiss that.

You guys came to the Lakers board to trash him, how is that not bitter? These are NBA players, if they don't play defense they don't want to. Scapegoats are an amazing phenomena.
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#66 » by MistyMountain20 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:28 am

fdr2012 wrote:

anyways,

Yeah that isn't exactly true. Maybe not necessarily for you, but there are Knicks fans on this board that have some sort Melo-fan complex. They believe all the issues of previous years stemmed from D'Antoni and Anthony was a victim of his antics. Essentially, any "put downs" on D'Antoni are just used to back up Melo.
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#67 » by fdr2012 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:21 am

Gek wrote:You guys came to the Lakers board to trash him, how is that not bitter? These are NBA players, if they don't play defense they don't want to. Scapegoats are an amazing phenomena.

I'm here to share my opinion of D'antoni. Why would I be bitter? He's doing just as badly with the Lakers as he was with the Knicks.

Basketball is a team sport and defense is a team effort. You won't play good defense without good coaching.

D'antoni is not a scapegoat. The Knicks' record after he left clearly shows he was the problem.
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#68 » by fdr2012 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:27 am

MistyMountain20 wrote:Yeah that isn't exactly true. Maybe not necessarily for you, but there are Knicks fans on this board that have some sort Melo-fan complex. They believe all the issues of previous years stemmed from D'Antoni and Anthony was a victim of his antics. Essentially, any "put downs" on D'Antoni are just used to back up Melo.

Melo hated D'antoni and that's no secret. He only played under him for one season. Melo doesn't need any backing up right now. His game is doing the talking.

As for D'antoni - his inability to maximize Melo is just another example of his incompetence. The same thing is happening in LA - D'antoni cannot maximize the talents of the roster because he's too obsessed about his system and refuses to make any adjustments. D'antoni is all about proving his system instead of playing winning basketball.
PurpleGold
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#69 » by PurpleGold » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:52 am

fdr2012 wrote:As for D'antoni - his inability to maximize Melo is just another example of his incompetence. The same thing is happening in LA - D'antoni cannot maximize the talents of the roster because he's too obsessed about his system and refuses to make any adjustments. D'antoni is all about proving his system instead of playing winning basketball.

Really? :roll:

Is that why the Lakers have been running a ton of HORNS lately?
D'Antoni IS adjusting. He's even finding ways of keeping Gasol in crunch time.

Do you people even watch the games before spouting your BS on here?
DrewBynum77
Lead Assistant
And1: 322

Post#70 » by DrewBynum77 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:00 am

If the spurs hired Mike Brown as their head coach I'd be as happy as a pig in the garbage. I'd not try to warn the spurs fans that brown was garbage. I'd probably go to their board and congrats them for signing a "great coach".

You guys are insecure. You had discussions between yourselves in the Knicks board (I often go there) and one group trashing d'antoni and another group trashing anthony and now that Anthony is playing better you (the group that "won") wants vindication. Wants the "I told you so". Want to come here to warn us just to come back 5 months later and bump the thread to say "I told you" to us too.

But most lakers fans don't really care. They know the team is good enough to play good D and if they don't dpo it when it matters the most then we gotta blame them, the players.

Nash have 0 rings, Howard also with 0, Kobe wants his 6th ring, Pau wants to prove himself again. Plenty of motivation. If those veterans depend on a coach telling them to play harder then they don't deserve to win it on the first place.

and I know players need instructions to know how and what to defend during games, and that's why we have good assist. coaches.

So yeh, no excuses from me. It's up to our veterans to figure it out during the playoffs. We got the personnel to be a very good D team, even if we are running D'Antoni's system, a luxury he didn't had in the past.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#71 » by Dr Aki » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:50 am

the lakers have never been able to be controlled by the head coach.

even phil jackson had to coax, trick and confuse the players into buying in and playing at a championship level.

side note on the mike brown as spurs HC: im sure if mike brown was brought in as spurs head coach, their team mentality and makeup would make mike brown a successful coach. for all his ineptness, he had sound and solid ideas that given a team with TD, gino and TP, they'd get it done, because that's how their team functions

lets not forget that mike brown has pre-existing relationships with the spurs players as an ex-pop ass. coach. and as a popovich disciple, he'd pretty much be running a majority of the same stuff pop runs.
wasfan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#72 » by wasfan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:03 pm

Aki wrote:the lakers have never been able to be controlled by the head coach.

even phil jackson had to coax, trick and confuse the players into buying in and playing at a championship level.

side note on the mike brown as spurs HC: im sure if mike brown was brought in as spurs head coach, their team mentality and makeup would make mike brown a successful coach. for all his ineptness, he had sound and solid ideas that given a team with TD, gino and TP, they'd get it done, because that's how their team functions

lets not forget that mike brown has pre-existing relationships with the spurs players as an ex-pop ass. coach. and as a popovich disciple, he'd pretty much be running a majority of the same stuff pop runs.

woah, really? you think mike brown can replace pop? you think that because he was an assistant coach under pop that the players will buy into him as the head coach? how many chips did the lakers won in the aftermath years of phil jackson?

and to those who said that a great head coach has the ability to adjust his system... phil jackson only won with legendary 2 guards... not with toni kukoc.... pop only won with legendary bigs.... same with pat riley...
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#73 » by Gek » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:09 pm

it's almost like the lakers and spurs bring in personnel to fit their coaches systems because those systems were proven to win... To say those coaches can't adjust is ridiculous. The Lakers under Phil and Bulls under Phil were not identical teams. When did the Bulls ever have a Shaq caliber big (for example).
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
wasfan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#74 » by wasfan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:27 pm

that's because the heart of the triangle is a great 2 guard....
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,654

Post#75 » by dockingsched » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:33 pm

wasfan wrote:that's because the heart of the triangle is a great 2 guard....

no its not, its the center in the post. it was adjusted for jordan and later kobe after shaq left, but its design is for the center to be in the post.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#76 » by Dr Aki » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:44 pm

wasfan wrote:
Aki wrote:the lakers have never been able to be controlled by the head coach.

woah, really? you think mike brown can replace pop? you think that because he was an assistant coach under pop that the players will buy into him as the head coach? how many chips did the lakers won in the aftermath years of phil jackson?

and to those who said that a great head coach has the ability to adjust his system... phil jackson only won with legendary 2 guards... not with toni kukoc.... pop only won with legendary bigs.... same with pat riley...

yes i do. it mightnt be great straight away, but the spurs are (if anything) a patient organisation

Return to Los Angeles Lakers