ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job.

Moderators: crazyeights, Slava, Danny Darko, TyCobb, Kilroy

User avatar
Patman
Head Coach
Posts: 6,899
And1: 5,151
Joined: Sep 26, 2008
   

Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#1 » by Patman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:53 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225001/Jackson_Would_Not_Return_To_Lakers_If_Offered_Job

Phil Jackson would not return to coach the Los Angeles Lakers, if offered the job.

“Noooo,” he said. “They’ll get it going.”

The Lakers have lost 9 of 13 games since Mike D’Antoni took over for the fired Mike Brown.

Jackson expressed confidence that the Lakers can fix their recent struggles, but changed his tune when asked if the team can contend for a title: “Well, no, I don’t know about that, but...”
Image
deNIEd
Banned User
Posts: 4,942
And1: 30
Joined: Jul 18, 2006

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#2 » by deNIEd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:57 pm

When the D'Antoni experiment officially is declared a failure, this guy is looking for a job

Image
User avatar
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 9,970
And1: 2,597
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: North Side of Hammered
       

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Phil says this every time... He'd come back if the money was right and the perks were right.

That said, I think if we decide to fire D'Antoni, it's time to find the next head coach... If we go back to the Triangle, maybe Shaw/Rambis. Otherwise look for an up and comer with a plan and a mission.
Just give me back the board, Lance. It was a good board, and I like it.
User avatar
Slava
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 41,008
And1: 9,368
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: #holdat
Contact:
     

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#4 » by Slava » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Wiretap threads in 2014:

"Lakers contact Phil Jackson to coach Dwight, Kobe and Lebron".
"Kobe wants Lebron to be his Pippen and Dwight to be his Bill Cartwright".
6-8-4-11
User avatar
Run-MKE 311
Senior
Posts: 553
And1: 9
Joined: Oct 22, 2012
Location: Left coast and the midwest

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#5 » by Run-MKE 311 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:36 pm

As long as Baby Jimmy is there, Phil has zero interest in looking at this job ever again.
Ball so hard.
TheRealLakersGM
Ballboy
Posts: 12
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 09, 2012

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#6 » by TheRealLakersGM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Phil wouldn't come back, especially after how he was treated a month ago. Plus even if D"antoni was fired now, bringing in new coach (even 11 time champion) will completely blow this team up. Because it will mean new adjustment period, new system, no time for this now. Unfortunately mistake was made with hiring D'Antoni over Phil, but we have to move on with Mike...
I also think that money is a big concern for the Lakers now. They could have signed decent free agents earlier in the summer or even fall when they were available, but they didn't do it. Because they simply didn't want to waive the guys who we have on the roster, and ending up paying their salaries for the year. Instead their strategy is to improve the team by making a trade or multiple trades. Even now in a very difficult time, management is waiting to make a trade after December 15-th to get better instead of signing someone like D.West.
But i still believe we can get way better and end it up with parade in June despite of all these problems. It only makes this team tougher and stronger mentally. It is important to note that our big 4 line-up has barely played together, and the best of them is still to come. Be patient fellows Lakers are coming!!!!!!
frugal
Ballboy
Posts: 17
And1: 12
Joined: Nov 13, 2012

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#7 » by frugal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Run-MKE 311 wrote:As long as Baby Jimmy is there, Phil has zero interest in looking at this job ever again.


Coach Jackson was slated to return as coach but Jim Buss and the fans would have told him to hit the road because of his demands.

With the option of having full control for making personnel decisions, and the fact that he wanted to Kobe Bryant, (the team's cash cow) there was no way that he would've been brought back.

Almost had him though. I would've loved to see how he handled a team with highly skilled players such as Nash and Gasol.
Jimbacosystem
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 2
Joined: Dec 11, 2012

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#8 » by Jimbacosystem » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:47 pm

TheRealLakersGM wrote:Phil wouldn't come back, especially after how he was treated a month ago. Plus even if D"antoni was fired now, bringing in new coach (even 11 time champion) will completely blow this team up. Because it will mean new adjustment period, new system, no time for this now. Unfortunately mistake was made with hiring D'Antoni over Phil, but we have to move on with Mike...
I also think that money is a big concern for the Lakers now. They could have signed decent free agents earlier in the summer or even fall when they were available, but they didn't do it. Because they simply didn't want to waive the guys who we have on the roster, and ending up paying their salaries for the year. Instead their strategy is to improve the team by making a trade or multiple trades. Even now in a very difficult time, management is waiting to make a trade after December 15-th to get better instead of signing someone like D.West.
But i still believe we can get way better and end it up with parade in June despite of all these problems. It only makes this team tougher and stronger mentally. It is important to note that our big 4 line-up has barely played together, and the best of them is still to come. Be patient fellows Lakers are coming!!!!!!



huh? last time i checked we can still cut sacre and DJO and pay them NOTHING

The FO did a **** job after the D12 trade by not going after additional FA's that were available for the minimum... Don't forget most Vet min contracts are subsidized by the league and NOT subject to LT calculations
User avatar
Run-MKE 311
Senior
Posts: 553
And1: 9
Joined: Oct 22, 2012
Location: Left coast and the midwest

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#9 » by Run-MKE 311 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:34 pm

frugal wrote:
Run-MKE 311 wrote:As long as Baby Jimmy is there, Phil has zero interest in looking at this job ever again.


Coach Jackson was slated to return as coach but Jim Buss and the fans would have told him to hit the road because of his demands.

With the option of having full control for making personnel decisions, and the fact that he wanted to Kobe Bryant, (the team's cash cow) there was no way that he would've been brought back.

Almost had him though. I would've loved to see how he handled a team with highly skilled players such as Nash and Gasol.


1. Nobody knows that for certain, majority of Laker fans would never tell Phil to hit the road, no matter what the demands. That man has earned 11 pieces of rare jewelery which command that respect. As far as I am concerned he can demand what he wants, PJ knows how to make it work with two bigs like D12 and Pau.

2. Understood, but if I was him, with that record, I would demand the same thing. If Phil is doing the cooking, let him buy the groceries.

3. No doubt, Phil would have had a blast putting together some different sets with Nash/Gasol, Nash/D12, Kobe/D12, etc.
Ball so hard.
TheRealLakersGM
Ballboy
Posts: 12
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 09, 2012

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#10 » by TheRealLakersGM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Jimbacosystem wrote:
TheRealLakersGM wrote:Phil wouldn't come back, especially after how he was treated a month ago. Plus even if D"antoni was fired now, bringing in new coach (even 11 time champion) will completely blow this team up. Because it will mean new adjustment period, new system, no time for this now. Unfortunately mistake was made with hiring D'Antoni over Phil, but we have to move on with Mike...
I also think that money is a big concern for the Lakers now. They could have signed decent free agents earlier in the summer or even fall when they were available, but they didn't do it. Because they simply didn't want to waive the guys who we have on the roster, and ending up paying their salaries for the year. Instead their strategy is to improve the team by making a trade or multiple trades. Even now in a very difficult time, management is waiting to make a trade after December 15-th to get better instead of signing someone like D.West.
But i still believe we can get way better and end it up with parade in June despite of all these problems. It only makes this team tougher and stronger mentally. It is important to note that our big 4 line-up has barely played together, and the best of them is still to come. Be patient fellows Lakers are coming!!!!!!



huh? last time i checked we can still cut sacre and DJO and pay them NOTHING

The FO did a **** job after the D12 trade by not going after additional FA's that were available for the minimum... Don't forget most Vet min contracts are subsidized by the league and NOT subject to LT calculations




You are absolutely correct, we can still cut DJO and Sacre. But let me explane this. Obviously DJO and Sacre are getting paid! In fact each one of them was paid about 181K (Oct 1 to Dec14 to Apr 15 = 2.5/6.5 month=38.46% * by their salary of 473K = 181K) So if we cut them today, it costs the organization of 362K + 500K that was paid to Dallas for acquiring DJO, thus it is 862K. Almost a million, that is a lot! It cost the Lakers NOTHING that i write this, but it costs them 862K if both guys will be waived today.
Lakers need draft picks, that is why they decided to keep the guys, youth and "cheaper" labor. Plus who wants to pay 1.3 mil for a veteran who will sit on the bench by being 14-th or 15-th guy on the roster. If the veteran is 6-10 guy, then sure why not. They keep DJO and Sacre because they believe in them, that both of the guys will develop into decent players. They are obviously on a timeline, if progress isn't made within a period of time, they will be waived, no question about that.
Quite honestly i think the Ownership and Management were very confident that team was good and ready for the year after Dwight's trade, and it was one of the reasons they didn't pursue decent free agents still available at the time. NO ONE expected this team to be 9-14 at this point. However if things are great, and we are at 20-3 now, we won't be even talking about this.
I am all in for signing veterans, but let me go into financials once again. So we know it costs us 862K to waive DJO and Sacre, if it happened today. Signing a veteran like D.West or Raja Bell (whom i both like) would cost around 650K for the year(because it is signed today, and not at the beginning of the year) out of 854K, remaining salary of ~500K will be paid by the League, would equal ~1.352 mil(veterans minimum). Plus the Lakers will have to pay 1.354 mil luxury tax (not the salary) for the player. Thus signing a veteran like West would cost the Lakers (650K+1.354 mil) extra 2 millions!!! (considering both DJO and Sacre are waived and their salaries are not taken into further tax payments considerations).
If money wasn't a concern Lakers would have done that already. I guess what they are trying to do is to make a small trade, by bringing value to the team and getting close enough salary back in return in a trade, so we won't have to pay any additional millions for signing free agents. If this option will give us nothing in the next 2 weeks, and if we are still struggling with Nash and Pau healthy, then anything may happen...
Jimbacosystem
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 2
Joined: Dec 11, 2012

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#11 » by Jimbacosystem » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:58 pm

TheRealLakersGM wrote:
Jimbacosystem wrote:
TheRealLakersGM wrote:Phil wouldn't come back, especially after how he was treated a month ago. Plus even if D"antoni was fired now, bringing in new coach (even 11 time champion) will completely blow this team up. Because it will mean new adjustment period, new system, no time for this now. Unfortunately mistake was made with hiring D'Antoni over Phil, but we have to move on with Mike...
I also think that money is a big concern for the Lakers now. They could have signed decent free agents earlier in the summer or even fall when they were available, but they didn't do it. Because they simply didn't want to waive the guys who we have on the roster, and ending up paying their salaries for the year. Instead their strategy is to improve the team by making a trade or multiple trades. Even now in a very difficult time, management is waiting to make a trade after December 15-th to get better instead of signing someone like D.West.
But i still believe we can get way better and end it up with parade in June despite of all these problems. It only makes this team tougher and stronger mentally. It is important to note that our big 4 line-up has barely played together, and the best of them is still to come. Be patient fellows Lakers are coming!!!!!!



huh? last time i checked we can still cut sacre and DJO and pay them NOTHING

The FO did a **** job after the D12 trade by not going after additional FA's that were available for the minimum... Don't forget most Vet min contracts are subsidized by the league and NOT subject to LT calculations




You are absolutely correct, we can still cut DJO and Sacre. But let me explane this. Obviously DJO and Sacre are getting paid! In fact each one of them was paid about 181K (Oct 1 to Dec14 to Apr 15 = 2.5/6.5 month=38.46% * by their salary of 473K = 181K) So if we cut them today, it costs the organization of 362K + 500K that was paid to Dallas for acquiring DJO, thus it is 862K. Almost a million, that is a lot! It cost the Lakers NOTHING that i write this, but it costs them 862K if both guys will be waived today.
Lakers need draft picks, that is why they decided to keep the guys, youth and "cheaper" labor. Plus who wants to pay 1.3 mil for a veteran who will sit on the bench by being 14-th or 15-th guy on the roster. If the veteran is 6-10 guy, then sure why not. They keep DJO and Sacre because they believe in them, that both of the guys will develop into decent players. They are obviously on a timeline, if progress isn't made within a period of time, they will be waived, no question about that.
Quite honestly i think the Ownership and Management were very confident that team was good and ready for the year after Dwight's trade, and it was one of the reasons they didn't pursue decent free agents still available at the time. NO ONE expected this team to be 9-14 at this point. However if things are great, and we are at 20-3 now, we won't be even talking about this.
I am all in for signing veterans, but let me go into financials once again. So we know it costs us 862K to waive DJO and Sacre, if it happened today. Signing a veteran like D.West or Raja Bell (whom i both like) would cost around 650K for the year(because it is signed today, and not at the beginning of the year) out of 854K, remaining salary of ~500K will be paid by the League, would equal ~1.352 mil(veterans minimum). Plus the Lakers will have to pay 1.354 mil luxury tax (not the salary) for the player. Thus signing a veteran like West would cost the Lakers (650K+1.354 mil) extra 2 millions!!! (considering both DJO and Sacre are waived and their salaries are not taken into further tax payments considerations).
If money wasn't a concern Lakers would have done that already. I guess what they are trying to do is to make a small trade, by bringing value to the team and getting close enough salary back in return in a trade, so we won't have to pay any additional millions for signing free agents. If this option will give us nothing in the next 2 weeks, and if we are still struggling with Nash and Pau healthy, then anything may happen...



might want to put some breaks in your posts so it makes it easier to read...

anyway, i was responding to your post that they didn't want to cut guys and have to pay them the rest of the year... that isn't the case with sacre and DJO. They are owed NOTHING currently... i believe that changes soon but not yet. Also that $862k number you quoted is meaningless because it is a SUNK cost... its gone ... can't be recouped

Would it cost more to have other vets come on or have them since the beginning of the year... slightly... but when you have a total payroll of $100 million should you really be worried about another million? I don't think so

bottom line the FO didn't do their job this summer... there was a TON of very good vet min guys available who they passed on. The Lakers have basically 7 guys (ebanks, morris, DJO, Sacre, Blake, Duhon, Clark) on their roster that no other team would want in a trade unless it netted them Pau or Hill. We have zero flexibility on this roster because the FO screwed up.
TheRealLakersGM
Ballboy
Posts: 12
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 09, 2012

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#12 » by TheRealLakersGM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:01 pm

I disagree. I think Front Office did an outstanding job this summer. Yes it would have been better to have 2-3 more veterans on the team instead of some bench warmers we have, but i guess it was a steep price to pay. As I explained above it is 2 mil for a veteran now, at the beginning of the year would have been 2.2mil.

But it is never late, Mitch has done a great job at finding great deals over the years, and I trust him. He will get it done again. Yes the value of our bench players is low, but you never know what he can get. Luke Walton got traded last year, although everyone thought it was impossible to do.... What I am saying is, it is easy to sign someone to a veterans minimum, and make your financial commitment go even higher. What is not easy is to trade unnecessary and rarely used pieces you already have for a "candy" and reduce company's financial obligations.

Lakers need time, they will figure it out, but i won't be surprised to see a trade in the very near future involving a combination of our players (Duhon, Morris, Clark and even Ebanks) for a decent player or players.
EvilSperm
Banned User
Posts: 925
And1: 17
Joined: Dec 23, 2010

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#13 » by EvilSperm » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:Wiretap threads in 2014:

"Lakers contact Phil Jackson to coach Dwight, Kobe and Lebron".
"Kobe wants Lebron to be his Pippen and Dwight to be his Bill Cartwright".



:lol: :lol: :lol: man u got me cracking on that one!
User avatar
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,274
And1: 1,549
Joined: Jan 27, 2003
Location: Studio B
Contact:

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#14 » by Jakay » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Is Phil 99.9% sure he isn't returning to the Lakers?
User avatar
The Laker Kid
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,290
And1: 248
Joined: Dec 16, 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#15 » by The Laker Kid » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:17 am

Flash $50 Mil/yr in his face and he'll change his tune pronto.

Do it Mitch™
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
User avatar
DEEP3CL
RealGM
Posts: 25,599
And1: 1,656
Joined: Jul 23, 2005
Location: LOS ANGELES,CA.
     

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#16 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:31 am

Jimbacosystem wrote:
TheRealLakersGM wrote:Phil wouldn't come back, especially after how he was treated a month ago. Plus even if D"antoni was fired now, bringing in new coach (even 11 time champion) will completely blow this team up. Because it will mean new adjustment period, new system, no time for this now. Unfortunately mistake was made with hiring D'Antoni over Phil, but we have to move on with Mike...
I also think that money is a big concern for the Lakers now. They could have signed decent free agents earlier in the summer or even fall when they were available, but they didn't do it. Because they simply didn't want to waive the guys who we have on the roster, and ending up paying their salaries for the year. Instead their strategy is to improve the team by making a trade or multiple trades. Even now in a very difficult time, management is waiting to make a trade after December 15-th to get better instead of signing someone like D.West.
But i still believe we can get way better and end it up with parade in June despite of all these problems. It only makes this team tougher and stronger mentally. It is important to note that our big 4 line-up has barely played together, and the best of them is still to come. Be patient fellows Lakers are coming!!!!!!





huh? last time i checked we can still cut sacre and DJO and pay them NOTHING

The FO did a **** job after the D12 trade by not going after additional FA's that were available for the minimum... Don't forget most Vet min contracts are subsidized by the league and NOT subject to LT calculations
And here is the real gist of our problem. Let me name a few that we could have gotten but refuse to even look at them.......

Nate Robinson
Nick Young
Jason Terry ( fits better than us than with the funky Celtics )
VETERAN LAKERS FAN
6-8-4-11
User avatar
Anklebreaker702
RealGM
Posts: 13,722
And1: 114
Joined: Mar 29, 2008
Location: Las Vegas (2nd Home of the Lakers)

Re: Wiretap: Phil not returning if offered job. 

Post#17 » by Anklebreaker702 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:59 am

And Deep Nick Young should have been a no brainer
Image
Told Y'all from day 1 that Howard was a Coward

Return to Los Angeles Lakers