ImageImageImageImageImage

1-800-SAVE-PAU

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,182

Pau couldn't start for any team 

Post#1 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:12 am

He's absolutely worthless. It has nothing to do with the offense itself, that's just a sorry ass excuse at this point. He complains about not getting time in the post, but the fact of the matter is he couldn't do **** even if he got an opportunity (which he did multiple times tonight). He can't jump and elevate over opposing bigs to finish around the rim and he's even softer than before if that's even possible. His shot is inconsistent as hell and he's becoming more and more hesitant to shoot. At this point he's just a glorified passer and nothing more.

I don't even want to start talking about his defense. He got lit about by Spencer **** Hawes tonight. He's slow on his rotations, constantly sags off his defenders, over pursues on double teams, doesn't contest shots at the rim, and get abused on a nightly basis. The effort just isn't there, and quite frankly hasn't been there for the last couple seasons. He's done mentally and physically.

We couldn't get Bargnani for him let alone another starter. No team would be in their right mind to do such a thing. Sad thing is we could cut Pau and not miss a beat. We might actually be better off because it would open up some more playing time for a guy like Jamison.

I just don't know how much more patience management has with this guy. Window is closing on Kobe, and I highly doubt Dwight has intentions of resigning with this team with the way things are playing out. It's time to make a serious move, and soon.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Re: Pau couldn't start for any team 

Post#2 » by kblo247 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:31 am

At PF? Hell no.

At C, sure he can, just not here, SA, or Memphis
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#3 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:33 am

And what makes you confident that he could start at C? He's not physical enough nor is he talented enough at this point in his career.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#4 » by kblo247 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:38 am

The fact it's still where his best statistical production has come at for the past 6 years or so. Odom was the PF on those title teams if you look at minute breakdowns. As a C he would t least be in rebound position, have to move his feet less, and never venture out to 12ft to open the floor up which he sucks at. It's the lesser of the two evils for his failing body and diminishing skills.

Right now he looks more done than KG did 2 years ago without the surgeries, but the move to C revived his career
EiRON
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#5 » by EiRON » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:45 am

I can't stand Pau anymore.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#6 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:45 am

I wouldn't even compare KG and Pau. We're talking about one guy who is mobile and isn't timid to physical play versus a guy who is the total opposite. He no longer possesses the physical tools to play as a starter, he has been abused by guards in recent weeks ffs.
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#7 » by Cashin out » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:48 am

Pau has been on the decline for 2 years now,but he has really lost a step this season.We should have traded him last summer while his value was high,now we are stuck with a old declining bigman with no value.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,702

Post#8 » by jc23 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 11:23 am

Pau needs to be the alpha big man to truly flourish right now. And he would probably start for Chicago if that makes you feel better. But at this point him and Boozer are both looking like men on their last big contracts.
Be curious, Not judgmental
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,715

Post#9 » by contract » Wed Jan 2, 2013 12:43 pm

Simba248 wrote:And what makes you confident that he could start at C? He's not physical enough nor is he talented enough at this point in his career.

For starters ... the fact that he could start for the defending world champions.

Just stop!
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#10 » by Jetset » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:13 pm

looks like you got torn a new one for this very exact thread on the gb, can't say you don't deserve it especially when pau would start for over half the teams in the league. that's what you get when posting comes before thinking. anyway, it wasn't too long ago when pau lead team spain as their best player to the gold medal game in the olympics. and this is what i mean by a lot of people in this fan base treating pau like he's absolute ****. pau is still the most skilled big man sans dirk & duncan and he can still play at a high level. is it obvious that he needs to go? yeah it is, if not because it's clear he needs a change of scenery and go to a team where he can play a bigger role that's actually suited to his skillset, but also with the addition of howard he just doesn't fit in the equation anymore.

didn't watch the game last night, but there are plenty of reasons as to why we aren't title contenders. pau's play and total struggle of finding a role, dwight not being healthy, and d'antoni just being the wrong coach for the team.
XtotheDeezy
Veteran
And1: 1,790

Post#11 » by XtotheDeezy » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:27 pm

You got torn a new one on the GB so I'm just going to unload in there and not open up one for myself. Pau needs to go, that's fine. Don't be ridiculous with statements like "He couldn't start for any team" because that just screams insecurity.

The question now is what we could get for him since his trade value is at an all-time low right now (poor play + huge contract).
vmor
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#12 » by vmor » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:11 pm

Well, Pau has surely started - very successfully - just last summer for the second best team on the planet - Spain. As the world's MVP he led Spain to the previous world championship. Obviously, he is an extremely skilled center misused so far by MDA.
Only somebody who understands just dunks out of the complex game of basketball can say that Pau wouldn't start on any NBA team. For Pau's skills and value to the team, listen to a couple of guys that may know a thing or two about basketball: Magic and Kobe...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#13 » by Kilroy » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:26 pm

vmor wrote:Well, Pau has surely started - very successfully - just last summer for the second best team on the planet - Spain. As the world's MVP he led Spain to the previous world championship. Obviously, he is an extremely skilled center misused so far by MDA.
Only somebody who understands just dunks out of the complex game of basketball can say that Pau wouldn't start on any NBA team. For Pau's skills and value to the team, listen to a couple of guys that may know a thing or two about basketball: Magic and Kobe...

As someone pointed out though, along with his playing C for Spain, the schedule at the Olympics is quite a bit different than the grind of the NBA season.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#14 » by Gek » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:53 pm

Man why did Stern have to veto that trade...
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
diplan
Ballboy
And1: 0

What are we Waiting? 

Post#15 » by diplan » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:10 pm

Just answer me... What are we waiting to trade Pau?, i know he is a 2 time champ and all that stuff, but he is not the same player anymore, what are we waiting? the allstar break? the longer we wait... his current value is going to drop, make something happen with wolves, raptors or any team who need a big man, we need bench, maybe 2 10ppg guys.

We need change and we need it now.
LA_Sports
Junior

Post#16 » by LA_Sports » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:29 pm

Come on... Talk about overreacting... He could start on lots of teams (there are a lot of bad teams with terrible players). If or when he is traded you will see how bad Pau really isn't.
LA_Sports
Junior

Re: What are we Waiting? 

Post#17 » by LA_Sports » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:38 pm

You trades are a two way street. Other teams have to want him and his HUGE contract. That is going to be difficult for the Lakers to trade without getting a bunch of garbage in return.
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#18 » by kobe808lak » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:42 pm

What team is going to want him now? They had a legit shot last year to Houston/Minn but waited. I don't think either of them are remotely interested now.
thegamefritz
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#19 » by thegamefritz » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:44 pm

how about bobcats?? for mullens???
Leor_77
Analyst
And1: 533

Post#20 » by Leor_77 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 9:30 pm

I think that his Plantar Fasciitis is starting to rear it's ugly head - He's a very good player, but if he's limited because of an injury, he's quite marginal...and injury or not, this year has been very bad from him. He is embarrassingly bad from 3-9 feet from the basket (I think something like 25%) - This is pretty puzzling, and I'm not sure what the deal is, but he seems to throw up a lot of weak ish when he's in that area. Either that, or he turns un-aggressive and tries to pass it out when he clearly has an open shot. Defense is pretty unacceptable, as well. Just seems like he might as well be 6-4, because defenders clearly don't have an issue getting a shot over him, and making it.

Pretty frustrating, but we're stuck with him for now. People aren't blind - The league GM's are watching.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers