ImageImageImageImageImage

1-800-SAVE-PAU

Moderators: crazyeights, Danny Darko, Kilroy, Slava, TyCobb

User avatar
LAFan24
Junior
Posts: 277
And1: 9
Joined: Mar 07, 2012

Re: Pau as a role player 

Post#196 » by LAFan24 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:04 pm

Kobe System wrote:I agree. He can be our Paul Millsap/Carl Landry type of player. The problem is, even when Dwight is out, he is still playing in the perimeter.


Yeah exactly. But, I think we need to restrict him to only play at the 5 spot (however minutes that may be). He's gotta forget all this PF stuff and redefinie himself as a center. As time passes, hopefully he adjusts into this role and becomes "more" effective.
bigbreakfast
Pro Prospect
Posts: 937
And1: 54
Joined: May 03, 2008

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#197 » by bigbreakfast » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:06 pm

As an outsider looking in, the problem isn't Pau it's the system. Pau's definitely lost his mojo on the court but I think if he's given a role he's comfortable with on offense he defense and rebounding can feed off of that. That's the type of player he is. Unfortunately D'antoni is too rigid to utilize players properly. Its unlikely Lakers will get close to equal value in return or what theyre looking for at this point.
Lin is like that ex-girlfriend to bitter Knicks fans. They swear she's no good and they're better off without her, but they can't stop talking about her every opportunity they get.
KB24TBOTB
RealGM
Posts: 12,014
And1: 329
Joined: Feb 09, 2011

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#198 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:11 pm

bigbreakfast wrote:As an outsider looking in, the problem isn't Pau it's the system. Pau's definitely lost his mojo on the court but I think if he's given a role he's comfortable with on offense he defense and rebounding can feed off of that. That's the type of player he is. Unfortunately D'antoni is too rigid to utilize players properly. Its unlikely Lakers will get close to equal value in return or what theyre looking for at this point.

It would be addition by subtraction
User avatar
DEEP3CL
RealGM
Posts: 25,496
And1: 1,609
Joined: Jul 23, 2005
Location: LOS ANGELES,CA.
     

Re: Pau as a role player 

Post#199 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:13 pm

Thought about that line up last night, it seems to be the only straw D'Antoni has to pull. And for guys saying we need our whole team......talking about including Steve Blake, then we're almost done. If our season is coming down to waiting for Blake to make a difference, we've more than hit rock bottom.....we've fell in a crater.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN
THE HE HATE'IN COMMENT OF THE WEEK
either of the Kobe titles... preferably both, so we could still tease Laker fans about Kobe being just a sidekick.
-BombsquadSammy....Spur Fan
User avatar
jigga_man
Veteran
Posts: 2,632
And1: 293
Joined: Jul 02, 2004
Location: ...breakfast table in an otherwise empty room
   

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#200 » by jigga_man » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:18 pm

Start Hill, move Pau to the bench and play him in the post more.
IamBBAnalysis
Junior
Posts: 376
And1: 27
Joined: Dec 09, 2012

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#201 » by IamBBAnalysis » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:19 pm

KB24TBOTB wrote:Why are people acting like Memphis wants Gasol? Their FC is already set no idea why they would want 20 million coming of the bench..


Minnesota is the obvious trade partner. A 3 team trade makes sense. Maybe Portland as the third team? They could take Pekovic. Lakers get Wesley Matthews. A couple other pieces.
User avatar
TARIQ
Veteran
Posts: 2,839
And1: 225
Joined: Jan 05, 2013

Re: Pau as a role player 

Post#202 » by TARIQ » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:20 pm

Gasol isn't being used properly, he's been taking 2-3 3 pointer per game lately. Why the hell would he be shooting 3s
Give Xavier Henry The Max

Wonderllama wrote:George/Hibbert = the next Kobe/Shaq?

PG seems like he could be even better than Kobe... IMO.
IamBBAnalysis
Junior
Posts: 376
And1: 27
Joined: Dec 09, 2012

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#203 » by IamBBAnalysis » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:20 pm

bigbreakfast wrote:As an outsider looking in, the problem isn't Pau it's the system. Pau's definitely lost his mojo on the court but I think if he's given a role he's comfortable with on offense he defense and rebounding can feed off of that. That's the type of player he is. Unfortunately D'antoni is too rigid to utilize players properly. Its unlikely Lakers will get close to equal value in return or what theyre looking for at this point.


So you're saying he's "sad" and that is why he is having such problems on defense?
Nanogeek
Banned User
Posts: 3,494
And1: 127
Joined: Aug 25, 2010

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#204 » by Nanogeek » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:06 pm

HiiiPOWER wrote:
Nobody's paying attention to you because +/- is a dumb statistic. It incorporates everybody else that Pau's on the floor with and not just his very own play when that's exactly what we are evaluating... Pau Gasol's very own play.


You still sound confused.

First, the Lakers have a better +/- when Pau is on the court than off.

Second, lets look at the performance of Lakers 5 man units.

The most prevalent 5 man unit (192.6 min) has been Morris-Bryant-Metta-Gasol-Howard. That unit has a Win% of 61.5% - meaning they have consistently outscored their opponents.

The next most prevalent 5 man unit (118.3 min) has been Duhon-Bryant-Metta-Jamison-Howard. That unit has a Win% of 40.0% - meaning they have consistently been outscored by opponents.

Most of the 5 man units that Gasol is in have >50% Win%.

Gasol is clearly not performing at his levels in the past but its not the same team either. When Gasol isn't on the court the Lakers are getting schooled by teams. Why trade him?
ballaholick
Rookie
Posts: 1,165
And1: 86
Joined: Dec 19, 2012

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#205 » by ballaholick » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:16 pm

Kevin Love just fractured his hand, lakers should be on the phone with the Wolves, but who do the lakers ask for in return????????
Cashin out
Banned User
Posts: 1,457
And1: 12
Joined: Nov 12, 2012

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#206 » by Cashin out » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:18 pm

IamBBAnalysis wrote:
KB24TBOTB wrote:Why are people acting like Memphis wants Gasol? Their FC is already set no idea why they would want 20 million coming of the bench..


Minnesota is the obvious trade partner. A 3 team trade makes sense. Maybe Portland as the third team? They could take Pekovic. Lakers get Wesley Matthews. A couple other pieces.

I like that idea if we could get Matthews/Dwill for Pau that would be great.Portland is interested in Pekovic too.
User avatar
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,203
And1: 725
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Location: Austin, Tejas
Contact:

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#207 » by semi-sentient » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:20 pm

IamBBAnalysis wrote:If anything you move Artest to the starting lineup to replace Gasol. Gasol should have HIll alongside him for toughness and rebounding help and Artest should have Howard for rebounding. Plus the starters need more spacing to start the game.


It's an upgrade either way, and just from glancing at some of the numbers on BR.com it looks like Gasol/Hill is our most productive FC on a per minute basis. Howard/Metta is actually the 2nd most productive.

However the data appears to be incomplete as only a third of Hill's PT seems to be showing up which makes me question the accuracy of any of that data. It also shows that (by far) our best FC is Gasol/Jamison which is extremely hard to believe.

Does anyone know of a good site for checking the +/- for certain lineups (outside of NBA.com and BR.com)?
http://lytebox.com | OurThaiGuide.com
User avatar
Kobe System
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,322
And1: 124
Joined: Mar 31, 2010
 

Re: Pau as a role player 

Post#208 » by Kobe System » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:26 pm

TARIQ wrote:Gasol isn't being used properly, he's been taking 2-3 3 pointer per game lately. Why the hell would he be shooting 3s


MDA system.
User avatar
ShowTimeERA
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,772
And1: 184
Joined: Feb 15, 2012
 

Re: Pau as a role player 

Post#209 » by ShowTimeERA » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:27 pm

That lineup works great to win games and make the playoffs, not to win a championship. Starting 3 offensively limited players is a recipe for disaster against Miami or OKC. Sure they may be more efficient defensively, but they will struggle to score over a 7 game series. Metta is a concern and his play during the start of the season is fools gold. He's a liability offensively and his inconsistent shooting still allow teams to dare him to take the open 3pointer while they pack the paint...
Image
IamBBAnalysis
Junior
Posts: 376
And1: 27
Joined: Dec 09, 2012

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#210 » by IamBBAnalysis » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:27 pm

Nanogeek wrote:
HiiiPOWER wrote:
Nobody's paying attention to you because +/- is a dumb statistic. It incorporates everybody else that Pau's on the floor with and not just his very own play when that's exactly what we are evaluating... Pau Gasol's very own play.


You still sound confused.

First, the Lakers have a better +/- when Pau is on the court than off.

Second, lets look at the performance of Lakers 5 man units.

The most prevalent 5 man unit (192.6 min) has been Morris-Bryant-Metta-Gasol-Howard. That unit has a Win% of 61.5% - meaning they have consistently outscored their opponents.

The next most prevalent 5 man unit (118.3 min) has been Duhon-Bryant-Metta-Jamison-Howard. That unit has a Win% of 40.0% - meaning they have consistently been outscored by opponents.

Most of the 5 man units that Gasol is in have >50% Win%.

Gasol is clearly not performing at his levels in the past but its not the same team either. When Gasol isn't on the court the Lakers are getting schooled by teams. Why trade him?


:-? Come on, really? First of all, Nash is playing now so they don't the playmaking like they may have before. Second, Jamison is also terrible on defense. The idea is to not have to play either of them. Not playing Morris would be good also.

How does this happen? Insert Artest or Hill as a starter at pf and trade for pieces...like a quality wing defender/shooter.
IamBBAnalysis
Junior
Posts: 376
And1: 27
Joined: Dec 09, 2012

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#211 » by IamBBAnalysis » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:28 pm

ballaholick wrote:Kevin Love just fractured his hand, lakers should be on the phone with the Wolves, but who do the lakers ask for in return????????


No, he didn't. Its just a little sore so he's sitting out a game or three. He fractured his hand earlier in the year.
KB24TBOTB
RealGM
Posts: 12,014
And1: 329
Joined: Feb 09, 2011

Re: Pau as a role player 

Post#212 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:39 pm

ShowTimeERA wrote:That lineup works great to win games and make the playoffs, not to win a championship. Starting 3 offensively limited players is a recipe for disaster against Miami or OKC. Sure they may be more efficient defensively, but they will struggle to score over a 7 game series. Metta is a concern and his play during the start of the season is fools gold. He's a liability offensively and his inconsistent shooting still allow teams to dare him to take the open 3pointer while they pack the paint...

what does Pau give us offensively when he starts?
GeneralNash
Banned User
Posts: 666
And1: 13
Joined: Dec 23, 2012

Re: Pau as a role player 

Post#213 » by GeneralNash » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:39 pm

We've suggested pau coming off the bench numerous times already. Thing is the offense has not been very good either....it just seems that way right now because Kobe is ballin.
KB24TBOTB
RealGM
Posts: 12,014
And1: 329
Joined: Feb 09, 2011

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#214 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:42 pm

IamBBAnalysis wrote:
ballaholick wrote:Kevin Love just fractured his hand, lakers should be on the phone with the Wolves, but who do the lakers ask for in return????????


No, he didn't. Its just a little sore so he's sitting out a game or three. He fractured his hand earlier in the year.

He re-fractured it
User avatar
TARIQ
Veteran
Posts: 2,839
And1: 225
Joined: Jan 05, 2013

Re: Pau as a role player 

Post#215 » by TARIQ » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:44 pm

His game is the low block, face his man, one dribble left or right. He's got great moves. I don't know why MDA has him near the FT line or on the 3point line, Pau's morale has to be at a all time low, stop blaming the guy hes being used WRONG WRONG WRONG
Give Xavier Henry The Max

Wonderllama wrote:George/Hibbert = the next Kobe/Shaq?

PG seems like he could be even better than Kobe... IMO.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers