OT: visiting California..

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Re: OT: visiting California.. 

Post#21 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:18 am

Rockets05 wrote:Seeing that there isnt really that many OT topics in this forum, I'm a bit nervous to make this post. But I just want the opinion of you locals. I'm visiting California from NYC for the first time. I want to check out LA and take some pictures and stuff. Can you guys please recommend some cool picture taking worthy spots? Also the best bars? or spots I need to hit up? Not necessarily LA, I'll be staying in Costa Mesa. Sorry, a little touristy here, i don't mind it lol. I have a question! I see local celebrities posting pictures of them sitting on a cliff or something and the background showcase your skyline or just a really cool view in the back. Where can I go to take those kinds of pictures? Thanks in advanced guys!

I recommend the Griffith Observatory. It has great views of the whole city, the Hollywood sign and when it's clear you can see the ocean.

Here are examples of the view:
https://www.google.com/search?q=view+fr ... igKhkYDIDw
Rockets05
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#22 » by Rockets05 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:47 am

DelaneyRudd wrote:
Rockets05 wrote:Seeing that there isnt really that many OT topics in this forum, I'm a bit nervous to make this post. But I just want the opinion of you locals. I'm visiting California from NYC for the first time. I want to check out LA and take some pictures and stuff. Can you guys please recommend some cool picture taking worthy spots? Also the best bars? or spots I need to hit up? Not necessarily LA, I'll be staying in Costa Mesa. Sorry, a little touristy here, i don't mind it lol. I have a question! I see local celebrities posting pictures of them sitting on a cliff or something and the background showcase your skyline or just a really cool view in the back. Where can I go to take those kinds of pictures? Thanks in advanced guys!

I recommend the Griffith Observatory. It has great views of the whole city, the Hollywood sign and when it's clear you can see the ocean.

Here are examples of the view:
https://www.google.com/search?q=view+fr ... igKhkYDIDw

Wow, stunning. Very nice, thank you! btw, is it possible to get up and close and personal next to the hollywood, like literally RIGHT next to a letter. Or only from a distance?
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#23 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:55 am

The letters are on private property I believe... it might be public now. But I have never heard of anyone getting right next to the letters. It would take up a lot of time if it is. It's way back there above houses. The nice thing about Griffith Park is it is filled with history, is right by Hollywood, Silver Lake area, Dodger Stadium. Hollywood/Sunset Strip is ok, it's something to see once in your life at least.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#24 » by EArl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:57 am

Not anymore. To many dumb **** killing themselves. They are now fenced up.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#25 » by Wavy Q » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 am

Doc suggested nothing but food places l0l
Ghost Snack
Junior
And1: 30

Post#26 » by Ghost Snack » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:14 am

One thing I wouldn't recommend is the the celebrity homes tours. Waste of your time and money. The walk of fame is cool, and I would suggest that for anyone visiting. I would also suggest going on a studio tour if you like movie and tv sets. The Hollywood sign is fenced up and I think it even has an alarm now? Plus it's haunted with the white lady, look that up. But maybe if you go at night you can see her? I think LA's skyline (especially compared to NY's) is kind of weak, but you can get some pretty cool shots from the 7th street bridge, and also the 4th street bridge. They are both right outside of downtown over the LA River. Once you get there you will feel familiar as they have been shot in a handful of films.

I highly recommend The Edison Bar in downtown. It has a Victorian type of theme which i think is awesome. Also some rooftop bars/lounges are Perch in downtown LA and the Standard. Both are great. But if you had to pick one rooftop bar/lounge over the other I would prefer Perch.

Being in Costa Mesa, Anaheim is fairly close. If you are the Disney type of guy, Disneyland is pretty empty in the weekday mornings around this time of the year. Fridays usually pick up some though transitioning into the weekend. For example, it was empty this morning.

The food has been pretty much covered by the other posters. But sometimes people tend to leave Tommy's burger out. If you have the time grab a Tommy's chili burger. They are located in a good amount of cities, so you shouldn't have to go far. PM me if you have any other questions.
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#27 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:37 am

You'll be pretty close to main street in hb.
and they're building a roscoes in Anaheim I read, right next to friggen disneyland. An always animal style, always
LA_Sports
Junior
And1: 12

Post#28 » by LA_Sports » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:52 am

Rockets05 wrote:Lol sorry forgot to mention, i'm staying 4 days. Thanks a lot guys, im writing these down! I also need recommendations on bars! Of course i wont spend my entire days doing touristy stuff, hang out spots at night? bars? rooftop bars? Yes i am amare LA is 45 mins away from Costa Mesa. Oh im also going to the laker/thunder game!

Oh if you are staying four days you will have lots of time. Most of the Hollywood, LA sight seeing stuff could easily done in two days (maybe less). Just map out where you want to go before had so you won't have to backtrack and waste time, because traffic can be killer.
Kdot
Junior
And1: 1

Post#29 » by Kdot » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Go to Disneyland
i love this game
GoldKnightRises
Senior
And1: 24

Post#30 » by GoldKnightRises » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09 pm

LA_Sports

Simplest would be travel to Hollywood... do the Walk of Fame and handprints. You should eat at Pinks hot dogs. You could easily do that in a afternoon. Universal City Walk is close to Hollywood.
Costa Mesa is about 15 mins from Disneyland. If you head to Huntington Beach or Newport Beach they have lots of bars with young people at night. Those are in Orange County.
Venice beach might be neat but a little bit of a drive. Also try to go to the Getty Museum, the have world famous art.
You could double or triple up most of these in a day. Hope that helps

cbrown32 wrote:^That's like the most typical, boring stuff to do in LA.

I'd say go to Venice Beach, Santa Monica pier, Hollywood sign (not sure exactly where but google it - you can hike around there), LA Live would be cool on a game night...lots of good restaurants.

Newport and Huntington are good to go out and day drink on the weekends. I guess you have to see the Hollywood Walk of Fame but in all reality it sucks...dirty, grimy people everywhere, no good shopping...but it's a spectacle.

My fiance just did the Warner Bros studio tour and loved it. For those cliff pics try to do some more research on beaches around Laguna, there are some really nice places around there.

Use YELP!

Those kinds of things mentioned first might be normal & perhaps boring to us but that is what tourists come for & they do enjoy it a great deal.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 645

Post#31 » by Desiderium » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:47 pm

Rockets05 wrote:Lol sorry forgot to mention, i'm staying 4 days. Thanks a lot guys, im writing these down! I also need recommendations on bars! Of course i wont spend my entire days doing touristy stuff, hang out spots at night? bars? rooftop bars? Yes i am amare LA is 45 mins away from Costa Mesa. Oh im also going to the laker/thunder game!

if you're lookin to save on drivin time and still wanna go to a decent club, Sutra is in costa mesa. i would say its arguably OC's best club lol. although all the better clubs are up in LA
JustAwesome
Analyst
And1: 78

Post#32 » by JustAwesome » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:21 pm

Clubs in Los Angeles aren't all that they're cracked up to be. I recommend hitting bars instead.
vmor
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#33 » by vmor » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:50 pm

for best coastal shots:
Palisades Park Santa Monica
perhaps with a stop at the entertainment pier or the 3rd Street Promenade
Palos Verdes has several gorgeous view points:
one where that "A" pin is,
another one at Point Vicente 2miles south with a great whale watching spot
with a row of view restaurants at the end of Hawthorne just east etc.
Heisler Park in Laguna Beach
with drinks on the patio of a restaurant in the SW corner of Cliff Drive (I go there since it was Las Brisas, but it has a different name now, can't miss it though;
and Corona del Mar
a couple of miles south from Costa Mesa: we usually get a 'banh mi' sandwich with ice coffe or durian shake from a vietnamese place and eat it there on a bench with a great view...
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#34 » by Lost Angel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 pm

LA is a massive city, you're not going to be able to see everything you want to in just 4 days.

the next time your in LA, spend half a day in the South Bay....it's a tri-city beach area. the cities are Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, and Hermosa Beach.

Manhattan is now more upscale, with many athletes living in the city. I worked at Shark's Cove when i was 19, and Kobe walked in randomly during the USC/Texas Rose Bowl game years ago. I broke the case and got him the sign the jersey in there, so if you see it, remember that I am responsible!!

Hermosa Beach is the party area, with tons of bars/clubs just yards away from the beach.

Redondo Beach is more family oriented, with shopping malls/restaurants etc.

all in all these are very relaxing places to go. pure california beach towns.
Rockets05
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#35 » by Rockets05 » Sun Feb 3, 2013 7:03 pm

Wow, just wanted to let you guys know I LOVE california. It's so beautiful, (well the places i visited at least), and i had a REALLY good time and will definitely go back again. I went to Laguna Beach, Huntington beach, Venice Beach, Disneyland, Went to Staples to see the Thunder/Laker game, went to Angels Knoll ( to see the bench from 500 days of summer). The bars on the beaches are cool. Laguna Beach had this one mini rooftop bar, wow the view is amazing. Your sunsets and sundowns are SIMPLY AMAZING AND BREATH TAKING, so beautiful. People were SO friendly. Hollywood was meh. I'd skip it next time lol. Santa Monica pier was cool, nice views, nice people. Third street promenade was nice! Santa Monica is nice, period. In and Out was yum! Animal style fries woooooo!

Just wanted to thank you all so much for helping an outsider out, thank you for the suggestions. Will def come back soon! :)
gotokyo
Rookie
And1: 283

Post#36 » by gotokyo » Sun Feb 3, 2013 9:18 pm

Nice glad you enjoyed it!

I'm going to be heading to New York in June for 4 days. Have any tips for me? Haha.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#37 » by EArl » Mon Feb 4, 2013 7:00 am

Glad you enjoyed it.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;

Return to Los Angeles Lakers