Mike D'Antoni Vows Changes For Pau Gasol

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

KB24TBOTB
RealGM
And1: 329

Re: Pau not open to coming off the bench 

Post#221 » by KB24TBOTB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 pm

Kilroy wrote:
dockingsched wrote:i think a big part of it is pau just not giving an f about MDA. after MDA 1st came on he immediately failed to give pau the type of respect he deserved, benching pau and then being a sarcastic ass when asked why he did it probably lost all of pau's respect. pau keeps giving these digs at MDA and his system. i think yesterday he said MDA's system can't have 2 successful bigs, sometimes not even one.

tl;dr: pau doesn't a flying f about MDA and isn't interested in sacrificing for him.

This... All of which is very stupid on both parts... Especially since they supposedly have talked about it since.

Indeed, this doesn't excuse him acting like a little B!tch Doc
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#222 » by TruSkool » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:21 am

he's right about not being comfortable coming off the bench. how do you bring an elite PF off the bench?

this team simply has too much talent for its own good. i never knew that could have happened. but this is the case.

you see some great teams that are exceptional at a couple of positions. NOT ALL POSITIONS LIKE THE LAKERS.

someone's gota give when there's only 1 ball on the court.

1. kobe's team, kobe's ball
2. dwight makes up on the defensive end, and the lakers actually try to lob it into him on offense
3. nash is a pass first guy anyway
4. metta picks up the slack

(now gasol should be doing metta's job because he would excel at it. but lets face the truth, he is too good to be picking up slack. give him 15 shots a game and its hard for him NOT TO PRODUCE)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,381

Post#223 » by dockingsched » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:29 am

TruSkool wrote:he's right about not being comfortable coming off the bench. how do you bring an elite PF off the bench?

this team simply has too much talent for its own good. i never knew that could have happened. but this is the case.

pau isn't elite anymore. he's had signs of this decline, just look back at his last two playoff runs. he's sucked.

and the team def. doesn't have "too much talent". they have big names, but they're more hype than substance at this point.

also, i wasn't trying to excuse pau, just assessing the situation for what it is.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Minge
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#224 » by Minge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:34 am

Comment removed.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#225 » by tugs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:35 am

Pau GaLarry Hughes
GeneralNash
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#226 » by GeneralNash » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:37 am

In other news, Sacre is not open to coming off the bench...but it doesn't matter, because he will.
Minge
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#227 » by Minge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:37 am

It’s hard enough hiding Nash defensively, by having Kobe defend point guards, but trying to hide Gasol, as well, is almost an impossible task. Miami exploited both of them last night.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#228 » by leeprettyp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:49 am

Minge wrote:It’s hard enough hiding Nash defensively, by having Kobe defend point guards, but trying to hide Gasol, as well, is almost an impossible task. Miami exploited both of them last night.

THISSSS... Why i just didnt understand at that crucial time of the 4th quarter when half court defensive execution was important we had Clark on the bench and kept Pau in. Pau is to much of a liability at this time. And doesnt offset it enough on the offensive end to be ok with him being out there.
nkpballin12
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#229 » by nkpballin12 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:53 am

semi-sentient wrote:He played a good game... on OFFENSE.

His defense is the primary reason that he should be moved to the bench. No matter which position he plays his PNR defense still stinks and he's just not fast enough to keep up with anyone or rotate over to help out. He's not that great of a rebounder anymore either. He pulled in 4 against a small Heat ball club. Meanwhile Clark, who played less minutes, grabbed 7.

Like I've said about 100 times, bring him in behind Dwight and when he actually is in the lineup with Howard he should be defending the 5 while Howard defend the 4. He should see a reduction in minutes so that he's playing about 25 per game, with 14 or so being at the 5.

Preach!
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#230 » by The Skyhook » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:22 am

Simply
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3-lpFToU9k[/youtube]
I think its going to happen.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#231 » by kblo247 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:36 am

It gets worse fellas, it gets worse

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
Pau: "I’ve been a starter my entire career. I’ve been a star starter my entire career, so I want to continue to be a star starter."

He doesnt just see himself as a starter, he wants himself to be a star still. He thinks he still deserves to be a star. If Kobe utters that bull ****, hell Metta who has outperformed him this year they would be burned alive

Give Phil a mil not to coach, but just to come in one day, punch that bitch and say get right
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#232 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:26 am

So lets get this straight, Metta goes to the bench for X amount of games and he doesn't think nothing of it because he's a team player and does it if it helps the team. But Pau practically says F that, because basically in a nutshell he's a selfish dick.

But what gets me is when you read other boards here, all you see is idiots saying "Laker fans don't appreciate Gasol". What these numb brainless turds don't understand is that all we did was defend him from 08 up until his two putrid playoffs in 11 and 12.

We've grown tired of seeing his frail ass falling down, getting stripped of the ball, not being aggressive offensively or defensively, always going to the media about shots ( even under Phil ), complaining about his role and other issues he had.

So to say we "don't appreciate" him is about the dumbest piece of bull crap I see floating around here. Pau has uses all his equity......spare us of that bull crap lurkers, what y'all think we dumb and don't know winning basketball ?

Pfffft miss me with that, if we trade him tomorrow it's just business. We about winning, Pau is about something else now and we don't know what the hell that is anymore.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#233 » by leeprettyp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:32 am

DEEP3CL wrote:So lets get this straight, Metta goes to the bench for X amount of games and he doesn't think nothing of it because he's a team player and does it if it helps the team. But Pau practically says F that, because basically in a nutshell he's a selfish dick.

But what gets me is when you read other boards here, all you see is idiots saying "Laker fans don't appreciate Gasol". What these numb brainless turds don't understand is that all we did was defend him from 08 up until his two putrid playoffs in 11 and 12.

We've grown tired of seeing his frail ass fall down, getting stripped of the ball, not being aggressive offensively or defensively, always going to the media about shots ( even under Phil ), complaining about his role and other issues he had.

So to say we "don't appreciate" him is about the dumbest piece of bull crap I see floating around here. Pau has uses all his equity......spare us of that bull crap lurkers, what y'all think we dumb and don't know winning basketball ?

Pfffft miss me with that, if we trade him tomorrow it's just business. We about winning, Pau is about something else now and we don't know what the hell that is anymore.

This on so many levels.. Well said
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#234 » by kblo247 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:55 am

First off let me say I agree with deep
-----

Excerpt on Pau not getting the O ran thru him like he wants to be engaged:http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-gasol-dantoni-20130118,0,4735959.story

The Lakers offense won't flow into Gasol naturally. It's something they consciously look to do as a unit.

"Our spacing doesn't really favor that too much," he said. "It has to be more like specific calls, sometimes initiating the offense differently for that to happen."

So who is making the call, or rather the non-call, D'Antoni or Nash?

"From both," said Gasol. "All ends."

At some point it's either Pau proves he's elite or he gets traded, cause right now he's damning. A damning attitude and 7ft funk. He's throwing pop shot after pop shot at the coaches, and the other guys see the only other captain aside from Kobe doing it. Likewise its starting to trickle over into others being responsible for what he can't do, as he included Nash now when he talked about not getting the ball, which is a dick move (I don't completely like Nash being added here let alone the ssol system) but Nash has been as big a Pau apologist as there is so its **** up

I mean this is the co-captain of the team stirring up the **** and saying I'm not sacrificing or putting winning over my individual agenda.
KB24TBOTB
RealGM

Post#235 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:27 am

I am sick and tired of Pau now tbh. I can't wait for the day to trade this dude. He came off as a humble and nice guy but seems like he's only selfish and would rather be a star on a **** team then sacrifice to be a better team. SMH, get a clue you cancer
KB24TBOTB
RealGM

Post#236 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:28 am

leeprettyp wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:So lets get this straight, Metta goes to the bench for X amount of games and he doesn't think nothing of it because he's a team player and does it if it helps the team. But Pau practically says F that, because basically in a nutshell he's a selfish dick.

We've grown tired of seeing his frail ass fall down, getting stripped of the ball, not being aggressive offensively or defensively, always going to the media about shots ( even under Phil ), complaining about his role and other issues he had.

This on so many levels.. Well said

+1
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#237 » by AcecardZ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:02 am

Pau is complaining about his offensive sets/rotations because he gives absolutely nothing else. His sole value comes from his decent passing skills and his still somewhat reasonable post game. Every other aspect of his game is a pile of steaming hot poo. He has no right to complain about anything on the offensive end when he gives zero effort on the defensive end. No hustle plays.(ok he did have one nice tip back to Kobe in last night's game but those are very far and few between these days). Pau brings nothing to the table in the way of intangibles. Young bucks like Kenneth Faried absolutely own his ass.

Putting all the blame on Pau wouldn't be right but even a casual fan can see how easily other teams exploit us when Pau's out on the court. I've seen enough Pau over the last two years to know we can't win with him as one of our feature players..
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Post#238 » by Jakay » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 am

kblo247 wrote:It gets worse fellas, it gets worse

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
Pau: "I’ve been a starter my entire career. I’ve been a star starter my entire career, so I want to continue to be a star starter."

Wow/Yikes. That pretty much just turned me from "maybe he's still got it" to "would not be bothered to see him traded".

I bet he's having trouble watching his baby brother succeed and himself not.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#239 » by AdonisDeMarion » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 am

Since when is it a good game for a player who makes 19 freaking million this year and the next to post a stat line of:

12 points
4 rebounds
4 dimes
1 block

He needs to go and fast, Mitch is working the phones right now. I say lets start Clark next to Howard. I like the defensive work of this duo. I know most want Smith but I think Clark can replace Gasol, not his production. Clark is faster on his rotations nd his PnR defense is nice also seeing him guard different positions too. Gasol for parts to round out this roster, Madonna made it clear that he's not changing his game plan.

As for trading Gasol I think it has to be a 3 team deal.
needs
-3 point Shooting from SG and SF (bench)
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#240 » by AcecardZ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:49 am

AdonisDeMarion wrote:needs
-3 point Shooting from SG and SF (bench)

If we could get any sort of athletic combo guard with any sort of shot at all and decent speed/perimeter defensive skills we'd be a very tough team to beat. I'm not saying we need prime Ray Allen just a smart player that knows his role and willing to play within the system that's in place.

Heck I almost wish we had Sacha Vujacic at this point the pesky lil ****! Ideally though a Trevor Ariza or somebody like that would become available. I know I'm stretching a bit here but we get tons of wide open perimeter looks and we're just not knocking them down. I'd suggest Kobe keep force feeding our perimeter guys until they find some sort of rhythm but we don't have that luxury now. We have no games to waste at this point.

I'm so damn frustrated. I didn't expect us to come right out and roll the rest of the league but at the same time I never for a minute thought we'd be in serious jeopardy of missing the playoffs...
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D

Return to Los Angeles Lakers