Mike D'Antoni Vows Changes For Pau Gasol

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Father Time
Head Coach
And1: 467

Re: Pau not open to coming off the bench 

Post#261 » by Father Time » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:41 am

The Skyhook wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:So lets get this straight, Metta goes to the bench for X amount of games and he doesn't think nothing of it because he's a team player and does it if it helps the team. But Pau practically says F that, because basically in a nutshell he's a selfish dick.

But what gets me is when you read other boards here, all you see is idiots saying "Laker fans don't appreciate Gasol". What these numb brainless turds don't understand is that all we did was defend him from 08 up until his two putrid playoffs in 11 and 12.

We've grown tired of seeing his frail ass falling down, getting stripped of the ball, not being aggressive offensively or defensively, always going to the media about shots ( even under Phil ), complaining about his role and other issues he had.

So to say we "don't appreciate" him is about the dumbest piece of bull crap I see floating around here. Pau has uses all his equity......spare us of that bull crap lurkers, what y'all think we dumb and don't know winning basketball ?

Pfffft miss me with that, if we trade him tomorrow it's just business. We about winning, Pau is about something else now and we don't know what the hell that is anymore.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
"There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them." - Popovich

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#262 » by semi-sentient » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:33 am

vmor wrote:
desertlakerfan wrote:...Sure Pau can play "smart" on the offensive end, but we've got plenty of firepower on this starting unit...

All that firepower without effective coordination does miracles for Lakers right now, right? Pau's passing / creation from the post will be sorely missed if he's gone.

No, not really.

Code: Select all

w/o Pau       with Pau       Differential
===================================================
    GM    13            26             ----
   PTS    105.8         101.7          -4.1
   AST    21.7          22.3           +0.6
   TOV    14.1          16.1           +2.0
   FG%    .460          .454           -.006
   3P%    .371          .378           +.007
   FT%    .732          .674           -.058

I know there is more to it than, but also Nash only played in 5 of those 13 games so the differentials would be even worse had he not missed any PT.

In short, Pau wouldn't be missed much, at least not as our starting PF. He would be much more useful off the bench right now. He can come in fresh and do his damage in the post and the Lakers would hugely benefit as a result. Look at how bad our bench is. We need someone to lead that unit. If Pau would get his act together mentally then he'd be perfect in that role.

Right now he's just being a big ass cry-baby and making a bad situation worse with his BS.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#263 » by AcecardZ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:54 am

The biggest problem with Pau at the moment is his complete inability to have any effectiveness on the defensive end. We have one less than ideal defender in Nash but he makes up for it on the offensive end. We can't afford to have two terrible defenders out there in today's NBA. In case one isn't paying attention there's some really phenomenal teams out there, ie OKC, Miami, SA and the Clippers, and if we're going to compete with them we have to be top notch defensively.

We can hide one bad defender like a Nash but there's NO way we can get away with trying to hide two. Pau must either figure out how to get Jordanesque offensive production out of his old and slow body or he must go if we're to have any hope of competing with the better teams around the league.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#264 » by AcecardZ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:57 am

semi-sentient wrote:No, not really.

Code: Select all

w/o Pau       with Pau       Differential
===================================================
    GM    13            26             ----
   PTS    105.8         101.7          -4.1
   AST    21.7          22.3           +0.6
   TOV    14.1          16.1           +2.0
   FG%    .460          .454           -.006
   3P%    .371          .378           +.007
   FT%    .732          .674           -.058

I know there is more to it than, but also Nash only played in 5 of those 13 games so the differentials would be even worse had he not missed any PT.

In short, Pau wouldn't be missed much, at least not as our starting PF. He would be much more useful off the bench right now. He can come in fresh and do his damage in the post and the Lakers would hugely benefit as a result. Look at how bad our bench is. We need someone to lead that unit. If Pau would get his act together mentally then he'd be perfect in that role.

Right now he's just being a big ass cry-baby and making a bad situation worse with his BS.

:bowdown:
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
mjba
Analyst
And1: 121

Post#265 » by mjba » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:15 am

semi-sentient wrote:He played a good game... on OFFENSE.

His defense is the primary reason that he should be moved to the bench. No matter which position he plays his PNR defense still stinks and he's just not fast enough to keep up with anyone or rotate over to help out. He's not that great of a rebounder anymore either. He pulled in 4 against a small Heat ball club. Meanwhile Clark, who played less minutes, grabbed 7.

Like I've said about 100 times, bring him in behind Dwight and when he actually is in the lineup with Howard he should be defending the 5 while Howard defend the 4. He should see a reduction in minutes so that he's playing about 25 per game, with 14 or so being at the 5.

yes! exactly. wtf are you guys talking about 'offense'? he had no business being out there in the 4th against the Heat. the line up is so much more versatile defensively w/ Ron/Clark/Kobe guarding the 2/3/4.

actually pretty shocked that Pau would come out and say that, even if that's how he feels.
mjba
Analyst
And1: 121

Post#266 » by mjba » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 am

Minge wrote:It’s hard enough hiding Nash defensively, by having Kobe defend point guards, but trying to hide Gasol, as well, is almost an impossible task. Miami exploited both of them last night.

also agree w/ this
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,381

Post#267 » by dockingsched » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:57 am

and here i thought it was about hiding kobe's off the ball defense!
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,799

Post#268 » by TyCobb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:13 am

At this point you can pick a number of things out of a hat and say its a problem on this team.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,381

Post#269 » by dockingsched » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:18 am

i'd like to propose problem #342: not having ramon sessions
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
KB24TBOTB
RealGM
And1: 329

Post#270 » by KB24TBOTB » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:35 am

dockingsched wrote:i'd like to propose problem #342: not having ramon sessions

:lol: :lol: :lol:
vmor
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#271 » by vmor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:21 am

dockingsched wrote:and here i thought it was about hiding kobe's off the ball defense!

:lol:
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#272 » by kblo247 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:09 pm

dockingsched wrote:i'd like to propose problem #342: not having ramon sessions

343 not having Fisher! Least when we got roasted and complained that old dog pulled some tricks out his ass for big shots and stops
therobg125
Banned User
And1: 1

WHAT IF pau were traded? 

Post#273 » by therobg125 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:57 pm

this isn't a trade thread...but rather what would happen to our team? would we go in a bigger tail spin?...is pau a cancer? if so, would we actually play better just because he's not here?...would kobe go in rage mode?...or would pau pull a lamar and basically do nothing since he was traded (not that he does anything anyway)?
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,077

Re: WHAT IF pau were traded? 

Post#274 » by Dr Aki » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm

we'd get better kwame brown style
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,733

Post#275 » by ROballer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:48 pm

We'd get better even if we get nothing for him(More mins for Clark)....

If we get marginal talent,a role player or 2 (another big,maybe a PG or a wing) we'll be A LOT better
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#276 » by myersia » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Therobg125....I'd delete this thread if I were you. You are going to get ripped by posters real quick. I am only posting this to help you out. I would just post your comment in the community thread or under a trade pau thread/pau won't come off the bench. I can think of 5 posters that are going to rip this thread really soon.

But to respond to your post, I think that it will depend on where Pau is traded. If the lakers get better, Kobe or any other laker, will not care about Pau being traded. If Pau is traded to a contender, he will do great and average 18 and 10 if he is their center. If Pau is traded to a team like the bobcats, Pau will be done as a NBA player and will become Maverick Lamar.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,221

Post#277 » by Kilroy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:53 pm

If we made a trade, it would be for pieces that would make us better... So yeah, we'd be better.

As to whether Pau's a cancer, I wouldn't have thought so a while ago, but his recent comments make me wonder if he's been on a passive-aggressive pout thing since the playoffs 2 years ago... He was in fine physical shape then, but just completely melted down in the playoffs when asked to defer a bit to Bynum...

I remember they made him co captain, which immediately send Bynum into a slump... And our interior D fell off a cliff... I wondered then, if something chemistry wise was going on... But I naturally thought it was Bynum pouting about not being made captain... Which I think he was, but maybe that's more because of Pau's personality, than about Bynum.

I'm not saying Pau's a cancer, but I don't think his head's been right for a while now, and it sort of makes you wonder how that effects the locker room.

I think it might nice to get rid of that element. Preferably by D'Antoni, Pau and the rest of the team collectively figuring out how Pau can continue to be effective. But if that isn't possible, a trade could help too.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#278 » by Jetset » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:27 pm

therobg125 wrote:this isn't a trade thread...but rather what would happen to our team? would we go in a bigger tail spin?

we'd get better. we're going in a tail spin if we continue letting him start.

therobg125 wrote:is pau a cancer?

at this moment in time, yes.

therobg125 wrote:would we actually play better just because he's not here?

he's being selfish but he's not a chemistry killer

therobg125 wrote:would kobe go in rage mode?

who cares.

therobg125 wrote:or would pau pull a lamar and basically do nothing since he was traded (not that he does anything anyway)?

when he's traded he's going to go back to being a productive player, pau's not done. he's just playing in a non-favorable system and he's fed up.
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#279 » by Jetset » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:30 pm

myersia wrote:Therobg125....I'd delete this thread if I were you. You are going to get ripped by posters real quick. I am only posting this to help you out. I would just post your comment in the community thread or under a trade pau thread/pau won't come off the bench. I can think of 5 posters that are going to rip this thread really soon.

But to respond to your post, I think that it will depend on where Pau is traded. If the lakers get better, Kobe or any other laker, will not care about Pau being traded. If Pau is traded to a contender, he will do great and average 18 and 10 if he is their center. If Pau is traded to a team like the bobcats, Pau will be done as a NBA player and will become Maverick Lamar.

why would he get ripped and who's going to rip him? it's not like he suggested dwight being traded.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#280 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:38 pm

The hatred for the guy is clouding judgement here. The Lakers are not winning the title regardless of him being on the bench or starting. People want him to be on the bench but want him traded as well. That's counterproductive. No one is going to trade for a 20 million a year bench player from us. All that does is bring his value down even more and it's already down as it is. Start him, put him in a position to put up points, then trade him to get better.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers