ImageImageImageImageImage

Mike D'Antoni Vows Changes For Pau Gasol

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Re: Pau not open to coming off the bench 

Post#201 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 am

I don't blame him here but his role needs to be defined as a post player by D'Antoni. The guy has no business taking transition 3s.
Minge
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#202 » by Minge » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 am

Comment removed.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#203 » by Kobe System » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 am

dub81 wrote:When utilized properly Paul is still dangerous.

Laker's coaches need to step there game up. He played a good game today.

This.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#204 » by semi-sentient » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:48 pm

He played a good game... on OFFENSE.

His defense is the primary reason that he should be moved to the bench. No matter which position he plays his PNR defense still stinks and he's just not fast enough to keep up with anyone or rotate over to help out. He's not that great of a rebounder anymore either. He pulled in 4 against a small Heat ball club. Meanwhile Clark, who played less minutes, grabbed 7.

Like I've said about 100 times, bring him in behind Dwight and when he actually is in the lineup with Howard he should be defending the 5 while Howard defend the 4. He should see a reduction in minutes so that he's playing about 25 per game, with 14 or so being at the 5.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
dj20001
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#205 » by dj20001 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:24 pm

semi-sentient wrote:He played a good game... on OFFENSE.

His defense is the primary reason that he should be moved to the bench. No matter which position he plays his PNR defense still stinks and he's just not fast enough to keep up with anyone or rotate over to help out. He's not that great of a rebounder anymore either. He pulled in 4 against a small Heat ball club. Meanwhile Clark, who played less minutes, grabbed 7.

Like I've said about 100 times, bring him in behind Dwight and when he actually is in the lineup with Howard he should be defending the 5 while Howard defend the 4. He should see a reduction in minutes so that he's playing about 25 per game, with 14 or so being at the 5.

^^^ This ^^^
PandGneverfold
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#206 » by PandGneverfold » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 pm

My thoughts exactly
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#207 » by kobe808lak » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 pm

He has never been a good defender, however, up until a couple years ago he could at least provide some resistance and prevent guys from getting easy buckets.

Now it is a layup line when he is out there. I'd bring him off the bench and tell him to stop crying.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#208 » by leeprettyp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Exactly why we need to move this guy NOW smh!!!! He is a backup Center on this team at best and he shouldn't have been in the game late in the 4th quarter. Our team defense (Mainly pick n roll ) is 1000000000x better when Clark is in the game instead of him. Man why is it so hard for people to see. Then he even allows Shane Battier to prevent him from getting post position. How many excuses are people gonna be giving this guy smh
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#209 » by Gek » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:09 pm

I think I called this?
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
Father Time
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#210 » by Father Time » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:08 pm

dockingsched wrote:http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-pau-gasol-not-comfortable-bench-20130117,0,1557723.story

"I would always like to finish games. I think the most determined players, important players finish games," said Gasol after the defeat. "When the games are on the line, you need to have the best players on the floor."...

Pau, you have hardly played like one of our best players this year. What you said is true, which is why Clark should be in and not you.
"There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them." - Popovich

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone.
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#211 » by supaflash » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:14 pm

He definitely hasn't been the most determined player either.

Man take a note from Metta, who quietly had a really nice game yet again last night. He has been better all year and was ok with a bench spot and new position.

Pau is a baby, done with this fool. He played decent last night, finally, but also they got layups the instant he came in the game. He doesn't really contest shots, he just puts his long arms up but he never really jumps or really tries to get the ball. Couldn't even post Battier or Lewis late...
HiiiPOWER
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#212 » by HiiiPOWER » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 pm

it's time to say it. Pau is selfish
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,391

Post#213 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:28 pm

too bad he has no outside value after the injuries and mismanagement of his positional minutes. If we get him a ton of center minutes (the only way he'll sniff the post in the Pringles system) we piss off Howard. If we don't put him in the post nobody believes he's still a good player. We are doomed on the Pau front unless Atlanta hates Smith's guts all the sudden and is willing to move people or we accept the wrong positions in return form Minny.

argg
LAFan24
Junior
And1: 9

Post#214 » by LAFan24 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Man I always thought Pau was a team player, this guy needs to go asap
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#215 » by dockingsched » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:41 pm

i think a big part of it is pau just not giving an f about MDA. after MDA 1st came on he immediately failed to give pau the type of respect he deserved, benching pau and then being a sarcastic ass when asked why he did it probably lost all of pau's respect. pau keeps giving these digs at MDA and his system. i think yesterday he said MDA's system can't have 2 successful bigs, sometimes not even one.

tl;dr: pau doesn't a flying f about MDA and isn't interested in sacrificing for him.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#216 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Semi nailed it.....I'm tired of talking about Pau. He played okay last night but nothing to overly rave about. His paint protection still stinks, he let LeBron set up shop when we rested Dwight in that 4th. When Dwight was patrolling the house LeBron didn't challenge.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#217 » by desertlakerfan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:45 pm

D'antoni said it perfectly in the sideline interview last night towards the end of the game, Miami took over late when we had no rim protection in the game(AKA Gasol was playing center instead of Howard). Pau at 19 mil is a detriment to the team at this stage in his career when we have Howard playing 38+ mpg at center. The only coach who had any chance at getting the two to work together was PJ and he isn't coming through those doors to save the day.

The only logical answer is to move Pau for whatever you can get, and I'm sure Mitch understands and is just weighing his current offers. If he's still on the roster past the trade deadline we can kiss this season goodbye.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#218 » by BEazy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Are you serious? He's willing to put his pride in front of team success? This guy is becoming a baby. You don't want to work on other aspects of your game and then you complain about not being in the paint. You complain about not being at the elbow of the offense then when you get chances you do absolutely nothing to provide spacing. You then complain about hitting 3 pointers isn't your strength and then when you finally become a back up C you still end up shooting very bad 3 pointers and you miss....Just get the hell out of this team then you whinny baby...

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#219 » by Kilroy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:20 pm

dockingsched wrote:i think a big part of it is pau just not giving an f about MDA. after MDA 1st came on he immediately failed to give pau the type of respect he deserved, benching pau and then being a sarcastic ass when asked why he did it probably lost all of pau's respect. pau keeps giving these digs at MDA and his system. i think yesterday he said MDA's system can't have 2 successful bigs, sometimes not even one.

tl;dr: pau doesn't a flying f about MDA and isn't interested in sacrificing for him.

This... All of which is very stupid on both parts... Especially since they supposedly have talked about it since.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
KB24TBOTB
RealGM
And1: 329

Post#220 » by KB24TBOTB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:29 pm

dj20001 wrote:

^^^ This ^^^

TBH I see Pau as a cancer this year. I just want this guy shipped out for some depth now. He plays 0 defense and can't rebound worth **** no more like said above. The NBA has transitioned into a small ball league where you need speed to keep up with the players, which Pau simply cannot do. Metta accepted a bench role when he has played 10x better then Pau this year but Pau can't? Spare me that BS of the best being out on the floor when it's a close game because you aren't that great anymore. Offensively you can still be great but you will never be a good defender ever again. We all saw Lebron have a free reign to rim when Pau was playing center.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers