Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Re: GT: Heat @ Lakers. Thu/17/1/2013 10:30 PM ET 

Post#901 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:51 am

krikor wrote:leclutch

enjoy it

you should enjoy it too douche, dude might be bouncing from your little franchise soon
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#902 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 am

Doormatt wrote:this loss wasnt even that bad were just desperate for wins with everything thats happened that when we lose it seems like our season is legit over.
It's not over, even if we'd won we'd still been 2.5 in back of Houston. Now it's 3.5, still catch-able. I still believe Denver and Utah will fade come second half of season.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
NoseBleedLakers
Lead Assistant
And1: 343

Post#903 » by NoseBleedLakers » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 am

dockingsched wrote:
NoseBleedLakers wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
pretty sure the shot clock wasn't off.

Shot clock was off. MWP fouled LBJ with 15.5 seconds left on the game clock and about 10 seconds left on the shot clock. Shot clock was then turned off when Miami took the ball out of bounds.

u got the 1st part right, not sure why u would think the shot clock gets turned off though. lebron fouled at 15.5 seconds, shot clock reset to 14 secs. heat still have to shoot.

Could have sworn that they turn off the shot clock with a stoppage of play when the game clock is under 24 seconds

Oh well, Lakers lose again anyways.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#904 » by Jakay » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 am

kblo...

That's what Cole is there to do. Be a defensive pest. And he can be, since Wade and LeBron are basically co-PGs.

I thought Pau was a total plus this game. Too long at the end, sure, but I'm not sold on Dwight in there for FTs either. It'd be great to have Pau off the bench if he can deal with it, and have a combo of Kobe/Nash and Dwight/Pau on the floor at all times.

Double big worked for a bit, but then they went to perimeter Pau, when I thought top of the key Pau had some great results.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,652

Post#905 » by dockingsched » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:53 am

kblo247 wrote:@ doc
There was literally no way we could execute anything when he had the ball vs Norris Cole not Russel Westbrook, Ty Lawson, or Tony Parker but NORRIS COLE

if what you saw there in the 4th quarter or basically all game was about nash's failed opportunities at taking it to cole head to head, then i don't know what to tell u. we must have been watching different games cause surely didn't see norris cole on an island d'ing up steve nash. i saw a swarming trapping team defense. nash didn't handle that well, but it surely didn't have anything to do with cole and nash having some type of iso situation.

same with nash "losing" allen on defense. i simply are watching something else if u just totally miss the heat's screens to get allen free.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#906 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:54 am

TRG wrote:GG Lakers... Don't listen to the haters your season isn't over yet. I saw a lot of good things from your team tonight.

Now go kick some ass and make the playoffs.

Good to know that there are some classy Heat fans out there. GB thread is just full of trolls.
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#907 » by Cashin out » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 am

This loss really wasn't that bad considering Dwight/Kobe/Nash really didn't have good game, if we feed Dwight/Gasol more we would have won that game IMO.

Cheer up Laker fans it isn't that bad of a loss, we lost to the defending champions.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,606

Post#908 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 am

The last 5 or 6 sequences on a 90-90 game started well under 10 seconds with Nash just dribbling because he couldn't advance the ball vs pressure. We had 0 shot getting a good sequence as long as he had the ball, and yes it's on him that he couldn't get thru the same screens Fisher would and that Duhon got thru in the 4th

Kobe or Metta handling it that fourth were at least muscling Bron and Wade to break it and get to their spots. It was essentially bad seeing Nash need Metta or Kobe to feed Dwight in the post because he couldn't, like he couldn't feed Shaq the one time he played with a post guy in his career.

I think we should have finished with Duhon or took Nash off the ball because literally if we keep track of Kobe's shooting, which was ****, as well as his turnovers, a lot were bailouts because Cole wasn't stupid like Chalmers with letting Nash hook him multiple times to pass him by to break the press.

So literally when Cole played it was Metta or Kobe running to him, Metta made a couple drives, Kobe took some long and fading bailout shots. Nash has to really look at this tape because its worse than his spurs game closing where he couldn't get a shot off at all. There was literally no way we could execute anything when he had the ball vs Norris Cole not Russel Westbrook, Ty Lawson, or Tony Parker but NORRIS COLE. Nash is being hidden on D because he can't guard PGs, so he has to do his job which is execute the O by scoring and actually getting us into sets in a timely manner against the likes of Norris Cole

---

Pau exceeded my expectations for his return though.

Your argument is laughable.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#909 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:57 am

Kilroy wrote:Yeah, I liked Pau off the bench too... I think he might actually be cool with it if he gets enough burn.
No he won't, you can tell by the little jabs he tries to disguise as jokes. He played good though, won't completely dog him.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
gotokyo
Rookie
And1: 283

Post#910 » by gotokyo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:00 am

Pau actually played prettt well tonight aside from that dumb 3 point attempt and a couple lapses on defense. When he did get the ball in the post he was able to draw a couple fouls and convert on those opportunities.

I just don't understand why he and Dwight weren't featured more working in the post when their going up against Chris f-ing bosh at center. Instead they decided to run pnr's the whole game against the best defensive pnr team in the league.

That is by far and away the dumbest coaching game plan I can possibly think of to use against Miami with our roster.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#911 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:01 am

TRG wrote:GG Lakers... Don't listen to the haters your season isn't over yet. I saw a lot of good things from your team tonight.

Thanks.....we'll get right. We just shot ourselves in the foot with all the TO's early and bad execution late. The haters don't phase any of us here, we've seen clowns like most of them before.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#912 » by supaflash » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:01 am

part of Nash's struggle was by design though, notice how the bigs never set a hard screen. Some of that is D'antoni's fault. At some point you have to set some hard screens in the back court to discourage the press and at some point you have to change how you attack the hard hedging, I really didn't see much of an adjustment.

But it is a little disturbing and frustrating that Nash isn't fast enough anymore to really be able to attack that defense more effectively.
TRG
Head Coach
And1: 866

Post#913 » by TRG » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:02 am

Simba248 wrote:

Good to know that there are some classy Heat fans out there. GB thread is just full of trolls.

I'm actually banned from the GB for arguing with trolls there too much... I've found that the better posters stick to the team forums.

In terms of the Lakers though the NBA playoffs just aren't the NBA playoffs if the Lakers aren't in it. I'm a Heat fan but I'm an NBA fan first, and the Lakers always provide some of the best entertainment the league has to offer.
ballaholick
Rookie
And1: 93

Post#914 » by ballaholick » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:04 am

gotokyo wrote:Pau actually played prettt well tonight aside from that dumb 3 point attempt and a couple lapses on defense. When he did get the ball in the post he was able to draw a couple fouls and convert on those opportunities.

I just don't understand why he and Dwight weren't featured more working in the post when their going up against Chris f-ing bosh at center. Instead they decided to run pnr's the whole game against the best defensive pnr team in the league.

That is by far and away the dumbest coaching game plan I can possibly think of to use against Miami with our roster.

because thery were fronting both pau and d12, and everytime they would throw a lob or inside it would lead to a TO
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#915 » by kblo247 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:05 am

dockingsched wrote:
There was literally no way we could execute anything when he had the ball vs Norris Cole not Russel Westbrook, Ty Lawson, or Tony Parker but NORRIS COLE

if what you say there in the 4th quarter or basically all game was about nash taking it to cole head to head, then i don't know what to tell u. we must have been watching different games cause surely didn't see norris cole on an island d'ing up steve nash. i saw a swarming trapping team defense. nash didn't handle that well, but it surely didn't have anything to do with cole and nash having some type of iso situation.

same with nash "losing" allen on defense. i simply are watching something else if u just totally miss the heat's screens to get allen free.

I'm saying if Nash can't break said traps he has to play off the ball. He wasn't strong enough or quick enough to break them or get by the initial cole out stretched arms d that Bowen used to use on him. There's no excuse for taking the ball out of Kobe's hands there. None whatsoever, as Kobe had it going, even Metta was getting to spots better with Bron on him. Nash has to be willing and able to adjust there. If he let Kobe handle the ball and face those traps which he could split or power thru, he would be in position to get open looks at least or make the next I ital swing and reaction. He didnt adjust at all to that pressure and literally gave us no shot at running an offense when he entered that fourth quarter. It made no sense

And yes those were screens, but the guy has to fight them. Fisher would run thru them head down like a pit when they were set by bigger guys and Allen was faster. Nash didnt even make it over the inital screen let alone trail him, and its unacceptable when he is the guy already hidden on D. He has to give that effort, not just stop. Duhon was doing that himself today in the 4th, and he isn't a great defender himself at all, he was just giving that effort to keep going when he hit the pick that Nash didnt and on O he literally just moved the ball quickly to Kobe or Metta or Pau because he knew he couldn't break the same press and didnt want to waste the clock.

It was a bad outing. It was a bad closing which has happened more than just this game. He pulled the same stunt in the clipper game where he dribbled the clock down to 4 and threw it to Kobe with 4 seconds left. He couldn't get off a shot in the final 4 mins vs SA, and didnt get many shots off vs Houston. He gave Lawson layups when Denver was in LA after made baskets in a tight game. He literally didnt shoot the ball, vs okc. He hasn't been good late in games managing them versus good teams. He has to be better than he's showing. If Kobe's giving the defensive effort to cover for him, same for Dwight, and he isn't offering scoring himself because he's not being aggressive and he can't. Even get the ball in our sets vs presses we have problems.

Nash has to be able to adapt in these situations. That is a fair criticism. It's like ignoring the fact he couldn't adapt to the Princeton in the preseason despite Kobe, Pau, and Dwight playing well. He couldn't play with Shaq either been he had to feed a post up big, and right now the reason Pau and Dwight have both pouted is they can't get the ball in the post up sequences because that isn't what fits Nash. He has to be better, he's paid and signed to be better than what he has provided.
Father Time
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#916 » by Father Time » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:05 am

GG to you too. Your defense and LeBron is too good.
"There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them." - Popovich

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,606

Post#917 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:06 am

This. I'm not a Lakers fan either, but I saw plenty of improvement in the Lakers' defense, if not by design then by energy. IF they play like this the rest of the way, they make the playoffs. Make no mistake about it, Miami played a hell of a game too.
Banned User
And1: 536

Post#918 » by 420 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:06 am

Good game, Laker fans. I just want to say that if the Lakers continues to play like they did tonight and get a winning streak going, they're gonna make the playoffs. Take care.
GeneralNash
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#919 » by GeneralNash » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:06 am

Gasol threw a very risky alley oop late in the 4th which led to a turnover. Kobe got lost on a screen and wade converted. Miami covered Gasol, and Nash should have swung the ball to Metta. Instead he challenges Bosh and gets blocked. What should of happened is kobe should of demanded the ball. Lebron iced it when up by four.

Loss is a loss. Lakers can play a lot better than this. You cannot point the finger at Nash.

Lakers were not ready for this miami team.

Sent via tapatalk 2
Vinsanity420
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#920 » by Vinsanity420 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:07 am

Nash doesn't look ELITE anymore, honestly. People might be overrating him at this point. He's good, but definitely not amongst the best. The Heat took him out completely tonight. There's easily 10 PG's in the league that might have done better in his place.
Laimbeer wrote:Rule for life - if a player comparison was ridiculous 24 hours ago, it's probably still ridiculous.

Genius.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers