ImageImageImageImageImage

Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#1 » by leeprettyp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:44 pm

http://www.dailybreeze.com/portal/sports/ci_22391170/lakers-notebook-pau-gasol-optimistic-about-playing-tonight?_loopback=1

"We don't have many options," Kupchak said Wednesday at the Lakers All-Access event at Staples Center, hosted by the LA Sports & Entertainment Commission. "It's not like we're going to be active or overly active in the trade market."

In your opinion is this Pau Gasol, "trade him or not trade him" drama becoming to much of a detriment for this team to overcome? Its been like this ever since the 2011 playoffs when Pau totally disappeared (rumors say over a girl but nothing was ever set in stone). You could even argue the 2010 playoffs when Pau was AWFUL every single road game almost besides the Utah Jazz series.

Me personally I've gotten to the point where I realize the guy has lost 2 steps (not 1 yes 2) and we have to move him. I think the biggest issue with the team now (beside defense of course) has been chemistry. It only makes sense to move him for a package of role players (athletic, shooters, and a speedy PG) so we can add more depth to the team and spread the court for Nash,Kobe, and Dwight. Watching every game this year teams are just telling there PF to run as soon as they secure the rebound and then they throw that lead pass while Pau is 2 steps behind his man. With this coaching hire and also with us already having the best big in the NBA in Dwight finishing at the rim we know Pau isnt gonna be the focal point in the post anymore and is expendable.

Trust this is coming from a guy that has been a Pau apologist for years. But the guy cant even hold post position against these undersized PF's. Gets killed on the Pick n roll defense. Doesn't seem comfortable taking that open jumper at the top of the key so other teams dont even honor him. He's a backup Center at best on this team and at 17mill a season I think it be better for both parties to move on. We've used Pau as the scapegoat for to long but I cant watch another minute of a playoff series against OKC where Serge Ibaka is cheating off of him to help over on Dwight in the paint because Pau isnt knocking down that open jumper. We got Clark and Jamison at this point to handle the PF position. I wouldnt mind us bringing in Kmart and/or Delonte West also (Morris is so out of control 80% of the time to me)

Just my opinion...Thoughts fellas?
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#2 » by The Skyhook » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:52 pm

After Mitch got Steve Nash he said something along the lines of he can't hit anymore home runs. A few weeks later we got Dwight Howard.
eckoner
Sixth Man
And1: 208

Post#3 » by eckoner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:54 pm

He is supposed to say that and he would not be fullfilling his duties as a GM if he were not CONSTANTLY looking for ways to improve the roster.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by leeprettyp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:56 pm

I agree with both of your statements. But I think their waiting to long on what they consider a blockbuster trade for Pau. I'm pretty sure their are already a few proposals out there that we may not be getting "Great" players but guys that fit the roster and system better
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#5 » by Cashin out » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:00 pm

At least we know he is trying to trade Pau. It is sad how bad Pau Gasol trade value has dropped. He is basically hard to move in a trade at this point.

I think it is more likely we ride out this season with Pau and try to trade him on draft night. His contract expires after next season, he will be a lot more appealing to teams.
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#6 » by supaflash » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:03 pm

You should change the title of this thread to 'I'm sick of babying Pau' ... seriously

The guy flat disappeared in the playoffs two years ago... for who knows why? Girlfriend issues? I have a friend who was a coke head and ran with some coke heads for a long time swears up and down that the way Gasol looked and acted that year that he was playing in the snow pretty heavily.

Dissapears pretty much again the next playoffs. Then after the veto'ed trade all year Kobe has to stand up for him calling out management to say something to soothe his fragile ego, all while he quietly whines to the media about touches and whatever other things him just nutting up and playing tough would easily fix.

Ok fine, he still seemed to produce and be useful and we won two despite (though I still maintain if he would have been tougher in 08 we would probably have 3, and if he didn't disappear in 11 had a chance for 4...) but this year... especially the last few weeks...

All I seem to hear are reports of Coach, Kobe, Nash, and now Mitch basically cajoling his poor fragile little ego. 'It's my job to get him more involved' 'I can't bench him, There's no trades. blah blah blah... Every guy on this team is dealing with injuries, age, and differing roles yet Pau seems to be the only one who can't seem to step up his game and the only one who seems to get all the excuses and made for him, and the one who seems to just keep whining the most. Is everyone on the team so scared that he might completely wet himself and be even worse then he already is? Are they just trying to get him up enough to be valuable?

Am I the only one who is really sick of the amount of protection he is getting this far along into his decline? Am I the only one that is sick of this giant baby? Don't get me wrong, I love team camaraderie and guys sticking up for each other but for me it's gone too far with Pau, I'm not talking about how soft his play on the court is, just how soft he is period. The guy just seems soooo mentally weak and fragile anymore, not to mention how irritated I am that in all these years with the Lakers he seems yet to put in the effort to strengthen and condition his body nearly as much as he could have.

Anyone else feel like this or notice how much we pussy foot around this guy anymore?
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by leeprettyp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 pm

supaflash wrote:You should change the title of this thread to 'I'm sick of babying Pau' ... seriously

The guy flat disappeared in the playoffs two years ago... for who knows why? Girlfriend issues? I have a friend who was a coke head and ran with some coke heads for a long time swears up and down that the way Gasol looked and acted that year that he was playing in the snow pretty heavily.

Dissapears pretty much again the next playoffs. Then after the veto'ed trade all year Kobe has to stand up for him calling out management to say something to soothe his fragile ego, all while he quietly whines to the media about touches and whatever other things him just nutting up and playing tough would easily fix.

Ok fine, he still seemed to produce and be useful and we won two despite (though I still maintain if he would have been tougher in 08 we would probably have 3, and if he didn't disappear in 11 had a chance for 4...) but this year... especially the last few weeks...

All I seem to hear are reports of Coach, Kobe, Nash, and now Mitch basically cajoling his poor fragile little ego. 'It's my job to get him more involved' 'I can't bench him, There's no trades. blah blah blah... Every guy on this team is dealing with injuries, age, and differing roles yet Pau seems to be the only one who can't seem to step up his game and the only one who seems to get all the excuses and made for him, and the one who seems to just keep whining the most. Is everyone on the team so scared that he might completely wet himself and be even worse then he already is? Are they just trying to get him up enough to be valuable?

Am I the only one who is really sick of the amount of protection he is getting this far along into his decline? Am I the only one that is sick of this giant baby? Don't get me wrong, I love team camaraderie and guys sticking up for each other but for me it's gone too far with Pau, I'm not talking about how soft his play on the court is, just how soft he is period. The guy just seems soooo mentally weak and fragile anymore, not to mention how irritated I am that in all these years with the Lakers he seems yet to put in the effort to strengthen and condition his body nearly as much as he could have.

Anyone else feel like this or notice how much we pussy foot around this guy anymore?

Its good to get the frustration out of your system lol. Alot of that I do agree with tho :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Of course we don't... But Mitch always says this... And most of the time he pulls some sort of deal.

Pau has been playing progressively worse all season. He has to know he's paving his way out of town.

The trade discussions didn't really start until Pau lost interest in the playoffs before the Dallas Sweep... It's no one's fault but his own. When old-ass Phil Jackson is punching you to get you fired up, you have to know you're putting your name on that list...

So we don't owe Pau anything anymore... If he wants to stay and is able, he needs to show it on the court.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#9 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:13 pm

Well he right in a sense. ...but in code speak all he's saying is "Pau is the only tradable piece, but I'd ruin my leverage by stating he's available". Basically Mitch is chancing on a middle of the rode team becoming desperate.

But at this point it's obvious Pau won't be here long term and the team has to move him to get much better.

Or Pau has to settle for becoming a bench player and the team would drastically improve. Smart guys know this.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by leeprettyp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:Well he right in a sense. ...but in code speak all he's saying is "Pau is the only tradable piece, but I'd ruin my leverage by stating he's available". Basically Mitch is chancing on a middle of the rode team becoming desperate.

But at this point it's obvious Pau won't be here long term and the team has to move him to get much better.

Or Pau has to settle for becoming a bench player and the team would drastically improve. Smart guys know this.

Yeah your right DEEP3CL.... But i bet you this isnt fooling anybody anymore. Every GM, Agent and owner in the league already has probably had their phone ringing in regards to Pau. We're not fooling anyone, I think us real Laker fans are willing to accept 1- "B" level player and 1- "C" level player for him. Hey me personally would even accept 2-3 "C" level players if they fit the roster better. We need shooters and another athletic wing defender
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#11 » by Kilroy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:25 pm

leeprettyp wrote:Yeah your right DEEP3CL.... But i bet you this isnt fooling anybody anymore. Every GM, Agent and owner in the league already has probably had their phone ringing in regards to Pau. We're not fooling anyone, I think us real Laker fans are willing to accept 1- "B" level player and 1- "C" level player for him. Hey me personally would even accept 2-3 "C" level players if they fit the roster better. We need shooters and another athletic wing defender

Ohhhhh, I bet it still works...
These guys have been talking for a while like you said... So a few of them think they have deals in place, then Mitch comes out and says, "I don't think we'll be making any deals." It's at least a WTF moment for the trade partners...
Only guys that already have expressed some sort of interest in our pieces are going to be on the phone with him anyway... They're already interested... It's just about getting the best deal. That's where I think the tactic is still effective.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by leeprettyp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Kilroy wrote:
leeprettyp wrote:Yeah your right DEEP3CL.... But i bet you this isnt fooling anybody anymore. Every GM, Agent and owner in the league already has probably had their phone ringing in regards to Pau. We're not fooling anyone, I think us real Laker fans are willing to accept 1- "B" level player and 1- "C" level player for him. Hey me personally would even accept 2-3 "C" level players if they fit the roster better. We need shooters and another athletic wing defender

Ohhhhh, I bet it still works...
These guys have been talking for a while like you said... So a few of them think they have deals in place, then Mitch comes out and says, "I don't think we'll be making any deals." It's at least a WTF moment for the trade partners...
Only guys that already have expressed some sort of interest in our pieces are going to be on the phone with him anyway... They're already interested... It's just about getting the best deal. That's where I think the tactic is still effective.

Thats a fair assessment I can agree with that
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#13 » by AdonisDeMarion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Gasol is as good as gone. I wonder where and for who?

Spurs
Rockets

Suns

Sixers
Celtics

Hawks ( I wish )
Wizards

Bulls
Bucks
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#14 » by deNIEd » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:37 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:Well he right in a sense. ...but in code speak all he's saying is "Pau is the only tradable piece, but I'd ruin my leverage by stating he's available". Basically Mitch is chancing on a middle of the rode team becoming desperate.

I don't know.

We all know that Pau is potentially only a useful trade asset for a handful of teams out there. There are many teams that simply don't need him/can't afford him/doesn't fit their team plan/have no tradeable assets for him.

Now, if the Lakers are holding firm on having a blank book in 2014, that further limits the potential options for the Lakers (Pau included or not). You essentially are turning away any deal that doesn't expire in 2 years (if it's longer than it goes into 2014, if it's expiring this year, you would have to resign that player which could ruin 2014 plans).
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#15 » by laduane1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:07 pm

It is a game of poker. These are the cards we have. Unless there is a wild card out there that we get a chance to use. We are going with the hand we have. Just need to win games to make this hand look better than it is. Would love a trade to make the team better. Unless it is Pau, there is not much of worth on this team that will make the team better. Got about a month or so left. Should be fun to see what happens.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#16 » by One Love » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:02 pm

The reaity is there are only a few teams that can compile a decent package given the high salaries involved... I think there is a REAL chance Pau gets Amenstied in the offseason as most of the deals would require us to take back bad contracts and could adversly affect our '14 Plan...

We have only 3 players that are eligiable to be amnestied (Gasol, Kobe & Metta)... Pau is costing us close to $40 million ($19 salary & luxury taxes) therefore if he gets Amenstied another team will pick him up (submit blind offers) and those monies (probably $4 to $5 million) would come back to the Lakers therefore Pau would cost us $14 million next year instead of $40 to $45 million...
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by leeprettyp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 pm

One Love wrote:The reaity is there are only a few teams that can compile a decent package given the high salaries involved... I think there is a REAL chance Pau gets Amenstied in the offseason as most of the deals would require us to take back bad contracts and could adversly affect our '14 Plan...

We have only 3 players that are eligiable to be amnestied (Gasol, Kobe & Metta)... Pau is costing us close to $40 million ($19 salary & luxury taxes) therefore if he gets Amenstied another team will pick him up (submit blind offers) and those monies (probably $4 to $5 million) would come back to the Lakers therefore Pau would cost us $14 million next year instead of $40 to $45 million...

But to Amensity Pau Gasol would mean the Buss family would still have to pay that salary. Yikesss!!! I get the thought process buts that alot of money to pay someone to play somewhere else.

IF we keep him, I'm definitely sure he is traded before the start of next season. He'd be an expiring contract and in todays new CBA. That is pretty much golden
stunnar0b
Starter

Post#18 » by stunnar0b » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 pm

As far as I'm concerned pau ain't going anywhere til next year when his contract becomes an expiring. when there is true value
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by AdonisDeMarion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 pm

He's gone on the first or second
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#20 » by deNIEd » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 pm

stunnar0b wrote:As far as I'm concerned pau ain't going anywhere til next year when his contract becomes an expiring. when there is true value

Yet, you would either be trading for an expiring contract or saying goodbye to 2014 free agent dreams.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers