ImageImageImageImageImage

Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says

Moderators: crazyeights, Kilroy, Danny Darko, Slava, TyCobb

User avatar
One Love
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,773
And1: 131
Joined: Dec 01, 2006
Location: Venice Beach - White Men Can Jump

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#16 » by One Love » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:02 pm

The reaity is there are only a few teams that can compile a decent package given the high salaries involved... I think there is a REAL chance Pau gets Amenstied in the offseason as most of the deals would require us to take back bad contracts and could adversly affect our '14 Plan...

We have only 3 players that are eligiable to be amnestied (Gasol, Kobe & Metta)... Pau is costing us close to $40 million ($19 salary & luxury taxes) therefore if he gets Amenstied another team will pick him up (submit blind offers) and those monies (probably $4 to $5 million) would come back to the Lakers therefore Pau would cost us $14 million next year instead of $40 to $45 million...
User avatar
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,851
And1: 631
Joined: Sep 18, 2012
Location: The City of Champions Los Angeles, CA
Contact:
       

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#17 » by leeprettyp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 pm

One Love wrote:The reaity is there are only a few teams that can compile a decent package given the high salaries involved... I think there is a REAL chance Pau gets Amenstied in the offseason as most of the deals would require us to take back bad contracts and could adversly affect our '14 Plan...

We have only 3 players that are eligiable to be amnestied (Gasol, Kobe & Metta)... Pau is costing us close to $40 million ($19 salary & luxury taxes) therefore if he gets Amenstied another team will pick him up (submit blind offers) and those monies (probably $4 to $5 million) would come back to the Lakers therefore Pau would cost us $14 million next year instead of $40 to $45 million...



But to Amensity Pau Gasol would mean the Buss family would still have to pay that salary. Yikesss!!! I get the thought process buts that alot of money to pay someone to play somewhere else.

IF we keep him, I'm definitely sure he is traded before the start of next season. He'd be an expiring contract and in todays new CBA. That is pretty much golden
Image
User avatar
stunnar0b
Starter
Posts: 2,471
And1: 121
Joined: Feb 10, 2010
Location: JUST OG

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#18 » by stunnar0b » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 pm

As far as I'm concerned pau ain't going anywhere til next year when his contract becomes an expiring. when there is true value
AdonisDeMarion
Rookie
Posts: 1,043
And1: 65
Joined: Jun 22, 2012

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#19 » by AdonisDeMarion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 pm

He's gone on the first or second
deNIEd
Banned User
Posts: 4,942
And1: 30
Joined: Jul 18, 2006

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#20 » by deNIEd » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 pm

stunnar0b wrote:As far as I'm concerned pau ain't going anywhere til next year when his contract becomes an expiring. when there is true value


Yet, you would either be trading for an expiring contract or saying goodbye to 2014 free agent dreams.
User avatar
One Love
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,773
And1: 131
Joined: Dec 01, 2006
Location: Venice Beach - White Men Can Jump

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#21 » by One Love » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:03 pm

His value does increase substantially with one year remiaing but given the fact the Lakers down want to take any salary back, it is somewhat of a mood point... He will be amenstied... Maybe another team pays $8 to $10 million for him off amensty aivers and the Lakers pay the rest... I would love to get value back but dont see it happening...

We will beat Miami tonight...
User avatar
EArl
RealGM
Posts: 41,849
And1: 7,722
Joined: Mar 14, 2012
Location: Santa Cruz
Contact:
   

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#22 » by EArl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 pm

That means Mitch is going in for the kill!
People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true?" Merely vague concepts...
User avatar
ennui
General Manager
Posts: 9,707
And1: 936
Joined: Feb 10, 2011
Location: In the 6, cooking with the wrist motion...

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#23 » by ennui » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm

eablinksum wrote:That means Mitch is going in for the kill!
C'mon, you apes! You wanna live forever?
User avatar
Slava
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 42,442
And1: 11,140
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: #holdat
Contact:
     

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#24 » by Slava » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Tasp wrote:
eablinksum wrote:That means Mitch is going in for the kill!


Mitch ain't bout dat lyfe no more. He tells you he wants to hit a home run before he hits it. He got that MJ level swag now-a-days.
Image
User avatar
hermes
RealGM
Posts: 66,485
And1: 15,039
Joined: Aug 27, 2007
Location: the restaurant at the end of the universe
 

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#25 » by hermes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 pm

do it mitch! :wizard:
destination: bangor, maine
User avatar
EArl
RealGM
Posts: 41,849
And1: 7,722
Joined: Mar 14, 2012
Location: Santa Cruz
Contact:
   

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#26 » by EArl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 pm

hermes wrote:do it mitch! :wizard:

Hermes begs to differ Slav
People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true?" Merely vague concepts...
User avatar
Ckay
Starter
Posts: 2,441
And1: 601
Joined: Feb 29, 2012
Location: going going, back back, to Cali Cali
 

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#27 » by Ckay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:07 pm

I believe you, Mitch
Michael Lucky
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,435
And1: 1,077
Joined: Jan 02, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
   

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#28 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:12 am

I recall Mitch saying something allong the lines of it's unlikely any move would be made at the trade deadline last year and yet he made two and was the most active GM at the trade deadline besides Portland's so I'll definitely take this with a grain of salt.
User avatar
tugs
General Manager
Posts: 9,736
And1: 831
Joined: Jul 22, 2010

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#29 » by tugs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:33 am

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:
Tasp wrote:
eablinksum wrote:That means Mitch is going in for the kill!


Mitch ain't bout dat lyfe no more. He tells you he wants to hit a home run before he hits it. He got that MJ level swag now-a-days.


hopefully you are not referring to the Bobcats GM MJ. he sucks.

deal with the Cats Mitch!
User avatar
Mamba Venom
RealGM
Posts: 17,977
And1: 577
Joined: Sep 07, 2005
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#30 » by Mamba Venom » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:44 am

Isn't Pau the largest expiring contract next year?

Next year that is huge value. We traded Kwame for Pau because he was expiring.

I think Gay and J-Smoove trade places. But I would love to see the Lakers make a run at either player OR let's see how Pau does in Odom's 2011 role as 6th man. I think Pau can handle that and be great.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
deNIEd
Banned User
Posts: 4,942
And1: 30
Joined: Jul 18, 2006

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#31 » by deNIEd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:31 am

Mamba Venom wrote:Isn't Pau the largest expiring contract next year?

Next year that is huge value. We traded Kwame for Pau because he was expiring.

I think Gay and J-Smoove trade places. But I would love to see the Lakers make a run at either player OR let's see how Pau does in Odom's 2011 role as 6th man. I think Pau can handle that and be great.


Again, if the Lakers refuse to take salary beyond 2014, his trade value means nothing. You can't trade him for anything other than an expiring or future draft picks. Or the entire dream of 2014 is gone.
User avatar
Gunner24
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 10
Joined: Jul 13, 2010

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#32 » by Gunner24 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:54 am

Can we try to get Shannon Brown back?

Letting him go was one of the biggest mistakes we have ever made.
User avatar
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,851
And1: 631
Joined: Sep 18, 2012
Location: The City of Champions Los Angeles, CA
Contact:
       

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#33 » by leeprettyp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:11 pm

last night was a prime example to me of why we must move Pau now or he's coming off the bench period. Late in the 4th quarter when we stopped turning the ball over we needed an athletic player to be able to switch on the pick n roll's and we didnt have that luxury.
Image
User avatar
JohnVancouver
General Manager
Posts: 8,466
And1: 57
Joined: Jun 18, 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#34 » by JohnVancouver » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Gunner24 wrote:Can we try to get Shannon Brown back?

Letting him go was one of the biggest mistakes we have ever made.



Trust me - you don't want Chuckie Cheese back. After two years watching him in PHX, I literally have to look away when he's in. He really believes he's Kobe
"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
HiiiPOWER
Sophomore
Posts: 125
And1: 2
Joined: Jun 20, 2012

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#35 » by HiiiPOWER » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:12 pm

deNIEd wrote:
Mamba Venom wrote:Isn't Pau the largest expiring contract next year?

Next year that is huge value. We traded Kwame for Pau because he was expiring.

I think Gay and J-Smoove trade places. But I would love to see the Lakers make a run at either player OR let's see how Pau does in Odom's 2011 role as 6th man. I think Pau can handle that and be great.


Again, if the Lakers refuse to take salary beyond 2014, his trade value means nothing. You can't trade him for anything other than an expiring or future draft picks. Or the entire dream of 2014 is gone.



look, 2014 is a dream in general. Lakers aren't getting Lebron and there's nobody else in that free agent class that's worth the trouble. an old Dirk? they'll pass on that episode... that's why you hear about their interest in Josh Smith. 2015 is the year to go after free agents, brotha. that's when Rondo, Love, and Rudy Gay hit the market. those are the targets. don't expect Kupchak and or Buss to come out and give you an exact target. when Buss comes out and says " yeh, we'll make our run at Lebron "... they know they won't be gettin Lebron. that's just a way of them saying that we won't be taking back any super-long deals for Gasol because we'll be enjoying our cap space soon. 2015 is the year. when Nash's deal ends, Rondo will take over at PG for the Lakers... i sincerely believe that.


what 2014 will do, however, is allow Kupchak/Buss the opportunity to get Kobe on a better/cheaper contract and help their cap number because 30mill it outrageous. Kupchak/Buss would love to get their hands on Josh Smith at the trade deadline this year and sign him long term. you have to have athletic defenders in the new NBA and they would have Smith and Howard going forward and target Rondo for 2015. Rondo/Howard/Smith is the foundation of a great defensive team that can get out and run. all they'll need is a few shooters/veterans to fill in next to them.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers


cron