Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Re: Pau not open to coming off the bench 

Post#241 » by AdonisDeMarion » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 pm

AcecardZ wrote:
AdonisDeMarion wrote:needs
-3 point Shooting from SG and SF (bench)

If we could get any sort of athletic combo guard with any sort of shot at all and decent speed/perimeter defensive skills we'd be a very tough team to beat. I'm not saying we need prime Ray Allen just a smart player that knows his role and willing to play within the system that's in place.

Heck I almost wish we had Sacha Vujacic at this point the pesky lil ****! Ideally though a Trevor Ariza or somebody like that would become available. I know I'm stretching a bit here but we get tons of wide open perimeter looks and we're just not knocking them down. I'd suggest Kobe keep force feeding our perimeter guys until they find some sort of rhythm but we don't have that luxury now. We have no games to waste at this point.

I'm so damn frustrated. I didn't expect us to come right out and roll the rest of the league but at the same time I never for a minute thought we'd be in serious jeopardy of missing the playoffs...

The bold is how I feel word for damn word. To be honest had Gasol went down instead of Nash we would be fine

Can we trade Gasol and a filler for Young, Wright and Hawes

SF:Wright/MWP
PF:Clark/Jamison
C:Howard/Hawes
SG:Bryant/Young
PG:Nash/Blake

I love it get it done Mitch and damnit do it now
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#242 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 pm

gasol is garbage, especially defensively. clark looks like lamar from a couple yrs ago when he won 6th man. obviously he's not at that level yet, but he's showing that he's got the potential to be that and maybe more imo. he's 6'9", athletic, can shoot, has great handles, great ability to run the floor, and just as good court vision as gasol. oh, did i mention his defense is awesome and that he hustles and is mentally tough unlike gasol? i used to blame mda for gasol and while i still feel he's being badly misused by being asked to take 3s etc, gasol hasn't done much when he has been in the right spots to justify his requests to get the ball there. he misses low post shots all the time, even against much much shorter defenders and plays 0 defense. if he can prove he has any game left from the last couple years maybe starting could come up in the discussion later, but at this point he's just too much of suck to get big minutes. clark deserves 30 mpg and gasol around 20.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#243 » by AcecardZ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Pau's biggest problem is the fact he's become obsolete. His offense is nowhere near as good as it once was and he can't rebound or defend. He'll get a few points and rebounds each game due to his length. He makes the occasional 18 footer but outside of that he brings nothing. Pau is so bad other teams target him, they go at him and Pau's powerless to do anything about it.

I wouldn't be nearly as bothered by his lack of speed and lack of hops if he showed any sort of toughness at all but he shies away from contact at all costs.

Ok I've gone on way to long about Pau. I won't keep harping on how badly he's hurting our team right now. We have no choice but to feature him because we're paying him ungodly sums of money to suck! Smh!
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#244 » by Jetset » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:27 pm

The Skyhook wrote:Simply
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3-lpFToU9k[/youtube]
I think its going to happen.

who was this in regards to? he said it a long time ago but i don't remember about what.
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#245 » by Jetset » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:01 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:So lets get this straight, Metta goes to the bench for X amount of games and he doesn't think nothing of it because he's a team player and does it if it helps the team. But Pau practically says F that, because basically in a nutshell he's a selfish dick.

But what gets me is when you read other boards here, all you see is idiots saying "Laker fans don't appreciate Gasol". What these numb brainless turds don't understand is that all we did was defend him from 08 up until his two putrid playoffs in 11 and 12.

We've grown tired of seeing his frail ass falling down, getting stripped of the ball, not being aggressive offensively or defensively, always going to the media about shots ( even under Phil ), complaining about his role and other issues he had.

So to say we "don't appreciate" him is about the dumbest piece of bull crap I see floating around here. Pau has uses all his equity......spare us of that bull crap lurkers, what y'all think we dumb and don't know winning basketball ?

Pfffft miss me with that, if we trade him tomorrow it's just business. We about winning, Pau is about something else now and we don't know what the hell that is anymore.

i don't think many people are going to disagree with you now, as it was always the assumption that pau's the ultimate team player.
StarneyBinston
Junior
And1: 40

Post#246 » by StarneyBinston » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:20 pm

destro wrote:
The Skyhook wrote:Simply
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3-lpFToU9k[/youtube]
I think its going to happen.

who was this in regards to? he said it a long time ago but i don't remember about what.

Andrew Bynum.
vmor
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#247 » by vmor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Pau Gasol at the 2012 London Olympics, a half a year ago:
4th in points - 19.1 ppg
6th in rebounds - 7.6 rpg
7th in blocks - 1.1 bpg
All-Olympics First Team:
G – Manu Ginobili F – Kevin Durant F – LeBron James F – Andrei Kirilenko C – Pau Gasol

In the finals, Pau helped enormously to keep Spain close all game (final score USA 107 : 100), with 24 points + 7 assists. Is that a guy that is unable to play basketball, or just isn't used by MDA's system to his best ability?

Pau Gasol will never be a banger, but he's one of the smartest players. His suggestions on better use of him are being ignored for 2 years. Magic and Kobe, among others, say that they agree with Pau about creating offense through his undoubtedly exceptional passing in/near the post. Read what he said - sounds to me like a guy that wants to help the team to win, not to pad his individual stats like... ehm, never mind...

No wonder if he's getting frustrated and unmotivated by now, after several attempts to trade him, and a chain of offensive snubs from a coach unable to figure out how to use 2 of the best front players together, coach that has never won anything (and never will, if he remains so stubbornly rigid) - MDA.

Makes one wonder if MDA misuses PG on purpose, so he can force his trade for a couple of his favorite young guns?

But yes, perhaps it is best -for Pau- to let him go to a team that will use and appreciate his talents. It would free him to enjoy playing great basketball again, unfortunately to Lakers' detriment - unless he decides to play back home in Barcelona? I sure would miss his smart play...
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#248 » by desertlakerfan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:30 pm

vmor wrote:
But yes, perhaps it is best -for Pau- to let him go to a team that will use and appreciate his talents. It would free him to enjoy playing great basketball again, unfortunately to Lakers' detriment - unless he decides to play back home in Barcelona? I sure would miss his smart play...

It's best for both for him to be gone. He cannot compete at PF in the NBA at this stage in his career, and the only minutes available for him on this team are backing up Howard which is a waste of the talent he still has.

Silly to blame this on MDA, no coach is going to turn back the clock on Gasol's knees and get him to defend/box out and do all the little things required to win at the PF spot. I even have doubts if anyone can get him to do it at the 5 either but I'll let another team find that out. Sure Pau can play "smart" on the offensive end, but we've got plenty of firepower on this starting unit and not enough defense which Pau no longer brings to the table.
miggs
Lead Assistant
And1: 446

Post#249 » by miggs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:34 pm

Realgm Wiretap Via Dave McMenamin/ESPNLosAngeles wrote:Mike D’Antoni is wrestling with the idea of making Pau Gasol a permanent fixture off the bench.

"My job is to put the best team on the floor," D'Antoni said. "If I feel like (starting Gasol is) the best way to go, then we'll go that way. If I don't, it's nothing personal. It's just that I got to do what I think is right. I think every player has to accept what is right, whether they like it or not. So, that's the bottom line.

"Now, does he deserve to start? Yeah, he does. He's been here a long time and probably that will happen, but if it doesn't, then you know what? You got to go on. You got to contribute. You got teammates to think about. You got the Lakers to think about. You got to do whatever is best for the Lakers. Whether we agree or not, then that's something else, we can agree to disagree. My job is to try to get the best team on the floor all the time and make it work. That doesn't mean I'm not including him. I just mean, that's my job."

Gasol wants to remain with the Lakers’ first unit.

"I've never come off the bench in my career," Gasol said. "(Thursday) was my first game off the bench with the Lakers, maybe a couple other games due to injuries, but that's it. I've been a starter my entire career. I've been a star starter my entire career, so I want to continue to be a star starter."
2014: Randle / Clarkson
2015: Russell / Nance
2016: Ingram / Zubac
2017: Top 3 Pick? :nod: Fultz, Ball or Bust
KB24TBOTB
RealGM
And1: 329

Post#250 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm

miggs wrote:
Realgm Wiretap Via Dave McMenamin/ESPNLosAngeles wrote:Mike D’Antoni is wrestling with the idea of making Pau Gasol a permanent fixture off the bench.

"My job is to put the best team on the floor," D'Antoni said. "If I feel like (starting Gasol is) the best way to go, then we'll go that way. If I don't, it's nothing personal. It's just that I got to do what I think is right. I think every player has to accept what is right, whether they like it or not. So, that's the bottom line.

"Now, does he deserve to start? Yeah, he does. He's been here a long time and probably that will happen, but if it doesn't, then you know what? You got to go on. You got to contribute. You got teammates to think about. You got the Lakers to think about. You got to do whatever is best for the Lakers. Whether we agree or not, then that's something else, we can agree to disagree. My job is to try to get the best team on the floor all the time and make it work. That doesn't mean I'm not including him. I just mean, that's my job."

"I've never come off the bench in my career," Gasol said. "(Thursday) was my first game off the bench with the Lakers, maybe a couple other games due to injuries, but that's it. I've been a starter my entire career. I've been a star starter my entire career, so I want to continue to be a star starter."

Didn't think Gasol's ego was this big. If the coach feels bringing him off the bench ( like many of us do) will improve the team, then he should agree
gotokyo
Rookie
And1: 283

Post#251 » by gotokyo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:28 pm

If coming off the bench is indeed what's best for the team (and it clearly is) then shut your mouth and accept it. Your not better then Dwight to be the starting center and your not quick enough to be our starting PF.
gotokyo
Rookie
And1: 283

Post#252 » by gotokyo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:31 pm

I really feel like these recent comments by pau are just icing on the cake that his time here in LA is over.
vmor
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#253 » by vmor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:14 pm

desertlakerfan wrote:...Sure Pau can play "smart" on the offensive end, but we've got plenty of firepower on this starting unit...

All that firepower without effective coordination does miracles for Lakers right now, right? Pau's passing / creation from the post will be sorely missed if he's gone.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#254 » by BEazy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:48 pm

vmor wrote:
desertlakerfan wrote:...Sure Pau can play "smart" on the offensive end, but we've got plenty of firepower on this starting unit...

All that firepower without effective coordination does miracles for Lakers right now, right? Pau's passing / creation from the post will be sorely missed if he's gone.

What kind of creation has he done lately? I'm sure his 3.8 assist per game can be easily replaced...His passing and scoring wasn't missed when he had knee tendonitis or the the concussion injury. I mean Nash provides the passing we don't need another glorified Luke Walton on our team doing absolutely nothing but passing.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#255 » by Gek » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Tell pau to bend over and take it like the lady he is.
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
Father Time
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#256 » by Father Time » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:13 pm

KB24TBOTB wrote:
miggs wrote:

Didn't think Gasol's ego was this big. If the coach feels bringing him off the bench ( like many of us do) will improve the team, then he should agree

This. Pau seems to think he deserves to be treated like a star without having to play like one.

Also, can this bring an end to the idea that Dantoni can't adjust? He's made a lot of tweaks to the rotation since he took over, a lot of them for the better. Now he's considering bringing Pau off the bench which a lot of us here have been pushing for.
"There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them." - Popovich

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone.
aroba
Senior
And1: 43

Post#257 » by aroba » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:35 pm

vmor wrote:Pau Gasol at the 2012 London Olympics, a half a year ago:
4th in points - 19.1 ppg
6th in rebounds - 7.6 rpg
7th in blocks - 1.1 bpg
All-Olympics First Team:
G – Manu Ginobili F – Kevin Durant F – LeBron James F – Andrei Kirilenko C – Pau Gasol

In the finals, Pau helped enormously to keep Spain close all game (final score USA 107 : 100), with 24 points + 7 assists. Is that a guy that is unable to play basketball, or just isn't used by MDA's system to his best ability?

Pau Gasol will never be a banger, but he's one of the smartest players. His suggestions on better use of him are being ignored for 2 years. Magic and Kobe, among others, say that they agree with Pau about creating offense through his undoubtedly exceptional passing in/near the post. Read what he said - sounds to me like a guy that wants to help the team to win, not to pad his individual stats like... ehm, never mind...

No wonder if he's getting frustrated and unmotivated by now, after several attempts to trade him, and a chain of offensive snubs from a coach unable to figure out how to use 2 of the best front players together, coach that has never won anything (and never will, if he remains so stubbornly rigid) - MDA.

Makes one wonder if MDA misuses PG on purpose, so he can force his trade for a couple of his favorite young guns?

I agree 100%
Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Post#258 » by Anklebreaker702 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Gek wrote:Tell pau to bend over and take it like the lady he is.

:rofl:
VETERAN LAKER FAN
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#259 » by The Skyhook » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:53 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:So lets get this straight, Metta goes to the bench for X amount of games and he doesn't think nothing of it because he's a team player and does it if it helps the team. But Pau practically says F that, because basically in a nutshell he's a selfish dick.

But what gets me is when you read other boards here, all you see is idiots saying "Laker fans don't appreciate Gasol". What these numb brainless turds don't understand is that all we did was defend him from 08 up until his two putrid playoffs in 11 and 12.

We've grown tired of seeing his frail ass falling down, getting stripped of the ball, not being aggressive offensively or defensively, always going to the media about shots ( even under Phil ), complaining about his role and other issues he had.

So to say we "don't appreciate" him is about the dumbest piece of bull crap I see floating around here. Pau has uses all his equity......spare us of that bull crap lurkers, what y'all think we dumb and don't know winning basketball ?

Pfffft miss me with that, if we trade him tomorrow it's just business. We about winning, Pau is about something else now and we don't know what the hell that is anymore.

:bowdown: :bowdown:
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Post#260 » by Jakay » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 pm

MDA from wiretap wrote:"My job is to put the best team on the floor," D'Antoni said. "If I feel like (starting Gasol is) the best way to go, then we'll go that way. If I don't, it's nothing personal. It's just that I got to do what I think is right. I think every player has to accept what is right, whether they like it or not. So, that's the bottom line.

This should be interesting.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers