ImageImageImageImageImage

Kobe: This Ain't Working; We Need to Get Back to Basics

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Re: Do the Lakers even have a system? 

Post#21 » by kobe808lak » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:05 pm

MDA is a terrible coach, I watched his time with the Knicks. He forces everyone to fit into a terrible system that has never won. I knew this would be a disaster.

They needed Phil to turn this around. No one can save this sinking ship.

They are not going to win a title with Pau and Dwight together. Pau has to go. We need help on the perimeter like right now. Kirk vampire Heinrich just went off for 22 POINTS!!. How bout a backup 1/2 or even 3??
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,221

Re: Kobe: This Ain't Working; We Need to Get Back to Basics 

Post#22 » by Kilroy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 pm

BVPN wrote:All of that is nice, but it's the defense that is the problem.

Not any more... We're broken on both ends of the floor at this point.

Kobe playing out of his head on offense for the first 30 or so games made us look better offensively than we were.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,078

Post#23 » by Dr Aki » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 pm

i'm sad.

but i'm going to figuratively "mail it in", this season is lost. the lakers were bound to miss the playoffs eventually, less than once a decade is a damn good achievement.

i'm happy in the thought that even if we don't make another single change to the roster and miss the POs, and lose our lottery pick to phoenix

that we're still the lakers, that we'll have 70 MILLION dollars in expiring contracts. if dwight re-signs, we'd still have space for 1-2 max FAs when kobe/pau/MWP/blake/hill/everyone else comes off contract

and then we can hit the hard reset button, and because we're the lakers, we'll get our guy(s), and we'll sooner rather than later, we'll be king of the mountain again.
hazy_01
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#24 » by hazy_01 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Yes, back to basic offense not this bull "unstoppable" pnr offensive tactic that D'antoni preaches.
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#25 » by CraZyPraiZ » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:26 pm

kblo247 wrote:
"We need to go back to basics," Bryant said. "We need to put guys in positions to do what they do best. We need to strip it down. Steve is best in pick-and-roll. Pau is best in the post. I'm best from the free-throw line extended down. Let's go back to basics.

"We've got to evaluate what's going on. Management is looking at it. The players are looking at it. I'm looking at myself. I'm a shooting a low percentage right now, and I've got to look at that. It's on me to make shots, but I'm having to make tough shots, getting the ball 30 feet from the basket and [expletive] like that.

"Listen, no one is more critical of their game, of how they're playing, than I am. And right now, I've got to shoot at a higher percentage, have to play better. "

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe- ... 30224.html

His point stands. We misuse Kobe and Pau to promote Nash and Dwight. We need balance and back to basics which win us games. Kobe with ball in the triple threat, Pau on low block ... Nash and Dwight playing off that, winning and championship basketball. We need some triangle like sets and floor balance, as well as defined roles.

As a matter of fact I really think we need defined roles, none of this big 4 bs, straight pecking order, lets keep it real, guys knew when and how they would eat on title teams and even Miami had to establish one last year with Bron, then Wade, and a bosh getting scraps

You got a team of post up players playing pick and roll because the system fits Nash who has never won anything or got the conference playing that way. Nash needs to be Kerr or Fisher, a spot up guy, which is what Phil would have made him over a wannabe Showtime revival artist. Kobe, Metta, and Pau should post up. Dwight should flash to the goal and clean up the trash ala Horace Grant and young Bynum on the title teams. Fact is Phil was a better fit as was the triangle and Princeton O for everyone but Nash, and it shows as we have no floor balance and don't play inside out not just with bigs but with Kobe either except for spurts to get us back in games. And for gods mercy when Nash and Pau are on the floor with Kobe, MWP, and Dwight play a zone over man D.

Dwight won't do this. That's the biggest problem. He wants to be the go to guy and complains if he doesn't get the ball. same as in Orlando.
EnigmaticProblem
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#26 » by EnigmaticProblem » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:28 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:I don't even understand the criticism of pick and roll because we rarely even do that. How many times has Dwight set a solid screen for Nash to work with? I can barely remember one instance of it. Pau atleast sets a screen and rolls to the rim.

The offense is just Metta post up, Nash dribble drive, Kobe posting up with one foot on the 3 point line and Kobe dribble drive. Howard post ups once in a while and gets fouled immediately to choke on the FTs.

There is absolutely no coherence to this team.

I've seen you complain about this a few times, so I'll explain it to you. D'Antoni, Howard, and Nash, all at some point, have talked about wanting to use the "pick" as more of a "touch and go"/"flash and go" type of thing, rather than an actual pick. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that this isn't completely on Howard.
EnigmaticProblem
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#27 » by EnigmaticProblem » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Contrary to what anyone thinks, the problem is defense. I mean, "good defense leads to good offence", right? It's really as simple as getting stops, and not allowing the other team to a) gain confidence, and b) set up. The worst part of this team NOT completing an offensive possession is the fact that we don't even make the other team work. The ball goes up far too early in the shot clock. . .

And then there's that issue with the three-pointers, but that's a whole different story.
lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#28 » by lake_show » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 pm

EnigmaticProblem wrote:Contrary to what anyone thinks, the problem is defense. I mean, "good defense leads to good offence", right? It's really as simple as getting stops, and not allowing the other team to a) gain confidence, and b) set up. The worst part of this team NOT completing an offensive possession is the fact that we don't even make the other team work. The ball goes up far too early in the shot clock. . .

And then there's that issue with the three-pointers, but that's a whole different story.

No, that's not accurate.

The reason these guys get a lot of confidence on us is because we're too easy to defend. We don't know what we want to do out there. Not taking advantage of matchups. Not taking advantage of our talent.

When you have role players locking us down, getting steals, and getting out in the open court of course they're going to have confidence, and we're going to look bad defensively cuz our transition D is horrible.
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,221

Post#29 » by Kilroy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 pm

The problem isn't just Offense or just Defense or both for that matter...

The problem is the "system" or "Game Plan" or whatever you want to call it... Its that these guys aren't on the same page, don't believe in their role on the team, don't communicate, and just plain aren't a "Team."

You can blame that on the coach, you can blame that on the players, you can blame that on Jim Buss, Mitch Kupchak, Dr. Buss... It doesn't matter... It just needs to be fixed.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#30 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:03 pm

It's the system that needs to go. secondly Dwight isn't what he used to be and i wouldn't be surprised if he never will be the same player he was in Orlando which is scary if we're going to give him a max contract. Now, D'Antoni puts Pau on the bench following his best game of the year? that just baffles me to no end. I'm more disappointed in Dwight than anyone when i tcomes to the players. Nash and Pau play the PnR to perfection the last two games when Pau was playing the 5, while Dwight can't seem to mesh with Nash at all.
lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#31 » by lake_show » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:19 pm

"I just want them to go have fun," the Lakers' interim coach said before their 101-77 rout of the Golden State Warriors. "These guys have been playing basketball for a long time. Call on it. Go play.

"Try to win the game and have a little fun."

This seemed to work.

Bernie Bickerstaff, 4-1 as Lakers head coach.

Just saying.
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#32 » by minifang » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Dwight Howard attempted just five shots in the Los Angeles Lakers' 95-83 loss to the Chicago Bulls on Monday.

Howard expressed his frustration with his lack of touches.

"Look at the stat sheet," Howard said. "Look at the stat sheet."

Howard also proposed a solution for the Lakers' offense.

"It's simple. Play inside-out."

Howard would not be venting his frustration if we were running the triangle. Every play is initiated in the post...

-____________-
The Purple and Gold
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#33 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Even if it was a short sample it does seem like the systems that have been forced on these guys is just making things extremely difficult on them. Bickerstaff just basically told them to play basketball and put themselves in positions that they are comfortable with. I mean our lone loss was to the spurs on a last second possession without Nash.
Yerstem
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#34 » by Yerstem » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:35 pm

We misuse Kobe and Pau to promote Nash and Dwight

Are you serious? How did that happen? Kobe has shot the ball 907 times until now. This is 131 more than Westbrook, 149 more than Durant which are second and third in the list.
(http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... aders.html)

MWP has the second most FGA on the team. This alone shows there's sth wrong, right?

Here's the full list:

Player FGA
Kobe Bryant 907
Dwight Howard 397
Metta World Peace 459
Pau Gasol 317
Jodie Meeks 249
Antawn Jamison 221
Jordan Hill 155
Steve Nash 143
Darius Morris 171
Chris Duhon 108
Earl Clark 85
Devin Ebanks 65
Steve Blake 34
Robert Sacre 39
Darius Johnson-Odom 4

(http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2013.html)
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#35 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:38 pm

It's always been like that with Kobe. The shot disparities weren't that much different when we won our last two titles. What makes no sense though is how much Artest is getting to shoot it. that just baffles me to no end.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,400

Post#36 » by Slava » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Yerstem wrote:
We misuse Kobe and Pau to promote Nash and Dwight

Are you serious? How did that happen? Kobe has shot the ball 907 times until now. This is 131 more than Westbrook, 149 more than Durant which are second and third in the list.
(http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... aders.html)

MWP has the second most FGA on the team. This alone shows there's sth wrong, right?

Here's the full list:

Player FGA
Kobe Bryant 907
Dwight Howard 397
Metta World Peace 459
Pau Gasol 317
Jodie Meeks 249
Antawn Jamison 221
Jordan Hill 155
Steve Nash 143
Darius Morris 171
Chris Duhon 108
Earl Clark 85
Devin Ebanks 65
Steve Blake 34
Robert Sacre 39
Darius Johnson-Odom 4

(http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2013.html)

Not saying this completely useless but MWP also played 7 more games than the next highest guy.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#37 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Dwight has only been out 3 games.
tenten
Junior
And1: 32

Post#38 » by tenten » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:37 pm

I think the problem is trying to have a system, this Lakers team would be much better without any system (on offense anyways)
tenten
Junior
And1: 32

Post#39 » by tenten » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:42 pm

minifang wrote:
Dwight Howard attempted just five shots in the Los Angeles Lakers' 95-83 loss to the Chicago Bulls on Monday.

Howard expressed his frustration with his lack of touches.

"Look at the stat sheet," Howard said. "Look at the stat sheet."

Howard also proposed a solution for the Lakers' offense.

"It's simple. Play inside-out."

Howard would not be venting his frustration if we were running the triangle. Every play is initiated in the post...

-____________-

Sorry Dwight,
I looked at the stat sheet, yes you only had 5 official shots, but you also have 4 turnovers and shot 4 for 8 on ft.
I wonder how much Lakers will be better if you have 10 to's and shoot 15 for 30 on ft's. I'm sorry, you're probably half as good as Shaq in his Lakers days, no where near Shaq's Orlando days.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#40 » by leeprettyp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:54 pm

Lol this team is broken on so many levels its unreal. Lets just admit it fellas. The Mike D hire was bad on SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many levels. People wonder why this team stinks on defense. Lets just look at who's the coach of the team. Do you guys ever wonder why every single Mike Dantoni coached team sucks on the defensive end????? Its because when your chucking quick 3's and running pick an roll 90% of the time players get tired. Then on top of that to play only a 8man rotation makes it even worse. It is what it is the rebuild just may come in 2 years just accept it. The kobe haters will get their way because he will be gone and also Gasol. Because Jim and Jerry will never admit it that the coaching hire was a MISTAKE FROM DAY 1. It should've been Brian Shaw from the beginning and like D33P has been saying alot of this is KARMA.. The way we did Lamar Odom right after his driver killed that kid in an car accident then to trade him for a box of pringles when he was an emotional wreck. it is what it is

Return to Los Angeles Lakers