ImageImageImageImageImage

Kobe: This Ain't Working; We Need to Get Back to Basics

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

PandGneverfold
Banned User
And1: 42

Re: Kobe: This Ain't Working; We Need to Get Back to Basics 

Post#61 » by PandGneverfold » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:06 am

Lol Kobe didn't throw Howard under the bus, he is telling the truth. He has gotten caught in the air plenty of times looking for Howard
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#62 » by BEazy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 am

PandGneverfold wrote:Lol Kobe didn't throw Howard under the bus, he is telling the truth. He has gotten caught in the air plenty of times looking for Howard

I remember Dwight had his back turned away from Kobe and Kobe was rising up to shoot a 3 pointer but straight bullet passed it to Dwight and while the ball was being sent to Dwight, Kobe was hollering real loud for Dwight to turn around but by the time he did the ball hit off his back and we turned it over. :nonono:

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,220

Re: Do the Lakers even have a system? 

Post#63 » by EArl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:00 am

I think the real question is do the Lakers have an identity.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Minime83
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#64 » by Minime83 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:40 am

I recon the lakers would be better off with Bernie? I loved how the guy just basically let the players do what ever on the offensive side. At least that's t he vibe I was getting from watching videos and reading what everyone was saying.

This team has enough offensive power it's crazy, just let them do what ever (street ball) and get a coach who can teach them to play Defense and rotate players. That's the only thing I didn't like about Brown is he didn't rotate our players - why you'd play guys who are 35+ year old 40+ min a game I don't know lmao @ Brown for that.
JustAwesome
Analyst
And1: 78

Post#65 » by JustAwesome » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:01 am

Minime83 wrote:I recon the lakers would be better off with Bernie? I loved how the guy just basically let the players do what ever on the offensive side. At least that's t he vibe I was getting from watching videos and reading what everyone was saying.

Interim head coaches don't generally implement their own offensive schemes, especially when they know that management is interviewing other candidates during your stint.
AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Post#66 » by AI » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 am

Whatever "system" MDA is trying to run with this old team won't work, he needs to realize this. If he wants to ensure his job for next season, he needs to ditch this stupid crappy system and actually be a damn coach.

I really hoped when MDA took this job that he learned from his prior mistakes as a coach, but I can still see he's still same ole' Pringles.

So to answer the question OP, no the Lakers don't currently have a "system" per se. We can classify it as a mess instead.
Hon-essim
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#67 » by Hon-essim » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:53 am

JustAwesome wrote:
Minime83 wrote:I recon the lakers would be better off with Bernie? I loved how the guy just basically let the players do what ever on the offensive side. At least that's t he vibe I was getting from watching videos and reading what everyone was saying.

Interim head coaches don't generally implement their own offensive schemes, especially when they know that management is interviewing other candidates during your stint.

This and it exposes you in the Finals.

moonpie wrote:I think we all envisioned an unstoppable Nash/Howard pick and roll, but there are a few issues here.

1. Dwight is clearly not 100% both mentally and physically
2. Lack of cohesiveness because of the coaching change, multiple injuries, etc...
3. Dwight slips most of his screens instead of setting a solid hard pick, making it harder for Nash to do what he wants to do off the PNR
4. Dwight seems to want to be a primary post option (ala Bynum) instead of being a PNR big even though the stats say that he is the best (or was the best) PNR big in the league. The problem with this is that Dwight is turnover prone in post isos as he doesn't really have great fundamentals (i.e. keeping the ball low instead of high) nor great touch around the rim. If he does get deep post position, opponents will just foul him and send him to the line where is a dreadful FT shooter.

Goes back to the point I keep harping about. We've got too many star (ME ME ME) mentalities on this team and not enough Jordan Hills and Earl Clarks. Just my .02 cents.

That's the one good thing Orlando did when they traded you Howard although I still would have wanted Bynum.

1. Dwight has never been 100% mentally. Zaza defending him cost us (Orlando) the 1st round against Atlanta.

2. That's good. Dwight does not like an imposing coach.

3 and 4: Dwight has always been sloppy at screens. Stan van Gundy hid both him and Jameer well by playing the screen and oop system. This fixes Jameer's court vision and Dwight's bad screens as it creates a different spacing. The problem is that Nash wants to think of Dwight as a more low post Amare/Shaq hybrid when you should all be looking at how Arenas played in the last game of the 1st round against Atlanta and how he set up Dwight. Instead, most of the fanbase, wants Nash to be a rich man's Kerr instead of demanding Dwight to be a rich man's Stromile Swift.

He's not really Tyson Chandler, Blake Griffin or Elton Brand even when healthy. Just because his athletic prime had him taking up oops does not mean that's his strength. Stan van Gundy turned him into that so that they could make the Finals and do well in the playoffs before he started being a headcase and demanding the ball on the post.

He's neither a great post-up big nor a PnR big. He was a great garbage collector big that over time SVG turned into a PNR player to take advantage of Hedo and Jameer and Rashard. He can be at mid-range and so long as no one is holding him he can just bum rush for the rebound. That was his primary strength when Orlando reached the Finals. Give him a small running head start and he can muscle his way into doing this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-GoR28LILo[/youtube]

Just don't expect him to muscle guys like Shaq when you're up in his face. The best he can do at that position is throw elbows like Malone but without any fundamental.
Gerhalt11 wrote:What? He produces better results than he should? Fire that guy!

No coach. No GM. Probably no star. I swear, in my 23 years of following this team, I can't name a stranger time than this moment to be a supporter of the Magic.
vmor
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#68 » by vmor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:45 am

PandGneverfold wrote:Lol Kobe didn't throw Howard under the bus, he is telling the truth. He has gotten caught in the air plenty of times looking for Howard

That's NOT how I was taught to pass! You don't jump to pass - it used to be a sign of desperation after realizing that you are up with nowhere to go - but can't or shouldn't shoot. It would have earned me an immediate benching in high school :(
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#69 » by kblo247 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:10 pm

vmor wrote:

That's NOT how I was taught to pass! You don't jump to pass - it used to be a sign of desperation after realizing that you are up with nowhere to go - but can't or shouldn't shoot. It would have earned me an immediate benching in high school :(

Is how Kobe and Shaq, as well as Kobe and Andrew connected. In fact Andrew got more scores off assists and alleys last year than Dwight, and he was way slower, less athletic, and the like. Dwight really has no synergy with anyone. Whethere its rolling off Nash, flashing off a Pau post up, or finishing a oop that is meant to fake out the d by looking like a shot which Shaq, Bynum, and even Mihm would finish
vmor
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#70 » by vmor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:59 pm

kblo247 wrote: Is how Kobe and Shaq, as well as Kobe and Andrew connected. In fact Andrew got more scores off assists and alleys last year than Dwight, and he was way slower, less athletic, and the like. Dwight really has no synergy with anyone. Whethere its rolling off Nash, flashing off a Pau post up, or finishing a oop that is meant to fake out the d by looking like a shot which Shaq, Bynum, and even Mihm would finish

I wasn't commenting on Howard's catching, but Kobe's passing. I still maintain that it's not a good way to pass. Especially NOT from Kobe, because everybody expects him to shoot once he's up (or any other time for that matter :) It's a bailout, not a proper pass - even Lakers' reporters (Stu?) used to say that...
Ask any college coach what they'd to you if you'd pass the ball like that!
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Feeling For Kobe Thread 

Post#71 » by myersia » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 pm

It is unfortunate that we have wasted Kobe's season. The ironic thing is that Kobe appears to have done things this year that he would had never done back when he was younger. Calling out Dwight directly, asking Dwight if he enjoys playing with him, admitting that he is not the easiest teammate to play with, changing his game to fit Dantoni's offense, choosing to guard the best player of every team every game, and plenty of more. I feel we all should show our appreciation for the maturity of mamba. He has tried his hardest to stay calm and be patient, two things he has had issues with in the past. Many posters like to say that Kobe is a ballhog, that he takes horrible shots, that his contract is the reason we don't have any flexibility. But let's be REAL. Had it been Kobe who was injured instead of Nash, Dwight, or even Gasol we would have won around 8-10 games right now. Kobe is the only reason we have 17 wins. Say what you want but Kobe and MWP have been our only consistent players this season. Nonetheless, this season has been horrible to watch, and to brighten our spirits up I felt like we needed to show our appreciation for Mamba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJUKn9IFdQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shx0iu-TC6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsq0FyWDuvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPGvxOuwKCI
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,294

Re: Feeling For Kobe Thread 

Post#72 » by NoStatsGuy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Knick fan here..

Well said, i love Kobe. I hope he gets another fair chance to get that 6th.. i appreciate the mambaaaa
im bout dat action boss
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#73 » by leeprettyp » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Metta, Kobe, and Gasol. The 3 players I feel bad for on this current roster. All three players have sacrificed and bent over backwards when asked to do ANYTHING this season. I'm off the trade Gasol bandwagon. I want these 3 to finish there careers in Laker jersey's. I just HATE that their going out at the end of their basketball careers like this. ITS JUST NOT RIGHT!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#74 » by Penberthy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:32 pm

I feel sorry for Kobe. Sorry that he feels the need to take 57 shots per game when he has 3 HOF's on his team. Sorry that he hasn't played defense in 3 years, and when he has managed to play D, his shooting % drops to 15%. Sorry that he hasn't figured out that he could average 10 dimes per game, but consciously chooses not to.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#75 » by semi-sentient » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:34 pm

^^^ Terrible post. How many players in the league average 10 assists? Exactly 2 players (Rondo and CP3). How many SG's have even averaged that in a season in the history of the league? Zero?

Anyway, the only ones that we should be feeling sorry for are the fans who are paying to watch this nonsense. I suppose it's hard to complain given how much success we've been able to enjoy over the past 15 years, but I still feel gypped.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#76 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:44 pm

I don't feel for kobe, the guy has five rings and hundreds of millions of dollars. I feel for Nash that came to LA hoping to compete for a title or two and instead finds himself in a much worse situation than he had back in Phoenix.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#77 » by leeprettyp » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Penberthy wrote:I feel sorry for Kobe. Sorry that he feels the need to take 57 shots per game when he has 3 HOF's on his team. Sorry that he hasn't played defense in 3 years, and when he has managed to play D, his shooting % drops to 15%. Sorry that he hasn't figured out that he could average 10 dimes per game, but consciously chooses not to.

WHY WHY WHY???? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Minge
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#78 » by Minge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Comment removed.
Kobean
Senior
And1: 27

Post#79 » by Kobean » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:08 pm

leeprettyp wrote:Metta, Kobe, and Gasol. The 3 players I feel bad for on this current roster. All three players have sacrificed and bent over backwards when asked to do ANYTHING this season. I'm off the trade Gasol bandwagon. I want these 3 to finish there careers in Laker jersey's. I just HATE that their going out at the end of their basketball careers like this. ITS JUST NOT RIGHT!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

couldn't agree more, I would also like to add Clark to that because he has been great! and Hill its not his fault hes injured and he was playing with so much energy.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#80 » by TruSkool » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:16 pm

i feel bad for nobody except the fans.

they make their millions, have a good time, win or lose. the fans look for leisure when they turn to sports and when your team isn't producing like it should, it translates to unnecessary frustration!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers