ImageImageImageImageImage

Mitch: Problem is the players' effort, not coach

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Re: LAT: who would you rather see return? Howard, Gasol or M 

Post#101 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Cashin out wrote:This is the reason why Dwight will leave. I see everybody in the media blaming him for our struggles. Kobe gets no blame at all. If I was Dwight and i'm not getting any shot attempts why not leave?

*The funny thing is with our luck we will trade Dwight, and he will go back to being the Dwight he was in Orlando.

Dwight gets the ball plenty. You dont equate his touches in a game with shot attempts. He gets the ball stripped alot, gets fouled alot and doesnt have a good back to the basket game. Anybody who knows basketball would realize that. Come on now if your gonna comment on something at least allow it to be a credible point.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#102 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Russillo ‏@ryenarussillo Just went through every LA off possession on Synergy. Dwight had 17 touches, 2 other attempts to get him ball were TO's. 11 touches..ended in something negative, not including missed FT possessions. He said "look at the stat sheet" I did. He's delusional.

He also had 5 fouls, couldn't set screens last night. It's not that he had a bad game, it's that he takes 0 responsibility for his poor play

Zach Harper wrote:Dwight has been regressing in the post the last two years. In the 2010-11 season, Dwight was scoring 0.93 points per post possession, making 50.6 percent of his shots in the post, and turning the ball over 14.5 percent of the time. Last season as Dwight battled injuries and trade rumors he initiated, those numbers slipped to 0.88 PPP and 49.9 percent, while his turnover rate of improved to 13.6 percent.

This season? Dwight is scoring just 0.78 points per possession in the post, making 48.2 percent of his shots, and turning the ball over an astounding 19.7 percent of the time. One out of every five times you throw the ball into the post with Dwight, he’s turning it over. That can’t be a heavy part of your offense. Kobe probably knows that but begrudgingly still attempts to feed him. This is why the quality of the post possessions you give Dwight is so important.

Like everyone is saying the guy is getting what he would like to call "touches"
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#103 » by Cashin out » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Yeah so Kobe must get 40+ shot attempts if we are going on touches.

See what I did there?
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#104 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 pm

lol I'm starting to catch on to your agenda there. Your right EVERYTHING is Kobe's fault :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,247

Re: Mitch: Problem is the players' effort, not coach 

Post#105 » by twix2500 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Its coaching!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJvNVg1bnoA[/youtube]
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#106 » by semi-sentient » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Cashin out wrote:Yeah so Kobe must get 40+ shot attempts if we are going on touches.

See what I did there?

You're not really getting it. Kobe, for the most part, has taken good shots. He's forced the issue here and there, and he's the guy that has to take our bail out shots, but the bottom line is that he puts himself in a position to take a quality shot. He moves off the ball, posts up, uses screens effectively, etc. Howard doesn't do any of those things well. It doesn't help that we have poor spacing either, and that's something that's been a problem for us for several seasons now. We don't have knock down shooters outside of Nash who hasn't shot the ball particularly well this year.

As was mentioned he just doesn't have a back to the basket game, so when he's unable to back his man down to get a good shot he has to pass it back out for you know who to take a bail out shot. He has absolutely no mid-range game either so there is just a very limited amount that we can do with him. The Lakers, for whatever reason, aren't really running PNR with Nash and Howard either, and that was supposed to be our bread and butter play. That's more of a reflection on the system that it is on Kobe. We don't have a single player that can really attack the basket and break down the defense either. Kobe's not really athletic enough to do it anymore, and Nash has never been that type of player.

Howard also needs to cut back on the turnovers. There's no excuse for him to be averaging over 3 a game when all he has to do is catch the ball, back his man down, and make a move to put the ball in the basket. I've never seen anyone get stripped as much as he does. He's Kwame Brown bad.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,247

Mike DAntoni Quiting?? 

Post#107 » by twix2500 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:16 pm

DAntoni quit on the Knicks last year when he couldnt figure out the problems with the Knicks. Now it seems he is on the exact same path and could likely quit the Lakers. Do you guys feel he will quit or be fired? And if he does quit would you be happy or disappointed?
Bandwagon1
Pro Prospect
And1: 518

Post#108 » by Bandwagon1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Stubborn FO
Stubborn Coach

Great outcome.
GG
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#109 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:18 pm

I don't like D'Anotoni at all, he needs to go. But to further what everyone is saying. Dwight just sucks. I can't stand when he gets the room, demands space dribbles into the lane and get's stripped. On top of that he misses too many FT's for his lack of ability to put the ball in the hoop. I just have not been impressed with "80%" Howard at all and don't care much for his future in LA.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
ballaholick
Rookie
And1: 93

Post#110 » by ballaholick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:19 pm

kobe808lak wrote:MDA is a cancer that is dividing the team rather than bringing them together.

really? thats what everyone said about Brown, coaching is not the problem, the problem is players cant and wont adjust and sacrafice for the benefit of the team.
gotokyo
Rookie
And1: 283

Post#111 » by gotokyo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:24 pm

ballaholick wrote:
kobe808lak wrote:MDA is a cancer that is dividing the team rather than bringing them together.

really? thats what everyone said about Brown, coaching is not the problem, the problem is players cant and wont adjust and sacrafice for the benefit of the team.

Having two different s*** coaches doesn't equal up to one decent coach that could justify that statement. Brown was terrible and D'antoni is close, if not just as bad.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#112 » by Kilroy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:25 pm

There's got to be more to it than that, right? I must be missing something, SAS and Rambis must be missing something, Magic must be missing something, JVG and SVG must be missing something... There has to be a hidden reason D'Antoni is the right coach for this team right?

Because if there isn't, and we are in fact committed to his system, we need to trade both Howard and Pau, and give him everything he needs to be successful. He clearly doesn't have it at this point.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#113 » by ardee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm

What I don't understand is why Howard needs to perform post moves at all...

I thought the idea was that he'd be the Stoudemire-esque roll man with Nash, meaning that he sets a screen a little inside from the three point line and then when the defenders overcommit either Nash pulls up for a J or a pass, or Howard receives the bounce pass and has a free lane for a dunk. This should be happening as often as possible because, you know, Steve is kinda good with pick and rolls.

Why hasn't D'Antoni implemented this? It'll get the best out of Steve AND Dwight.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#114 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:29 pm

ardee wrote:What I don't understand is why Howard needs to perform post moves at all...

I thought the idea was that he'd be the Stoudemire-esque roll man with Nash, meaning that he sets a screen a little inside from the three point line and then when the defenders overcommit either Nash pulls up for a J or a pass, or Howard receives the bounce pass and has a free lane for a dunk. This should be happening as often as possible because, you know, Steve is kinda good with pick and rolls.

Why hasn't D'Antoni implemented this? It'll get the best out of Steve AND Dwight

It's because he is terrible.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#115 » by desertlakerfan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Man, it's gotten so bad we're actually reading and commenting on a Simmers article?

C'mon guys, this "journalist" was a joke when we're champions, he's still a joke when we're struggling.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#116 » by Kilroy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Phil XI wrote:I don't like D'Anotoni at all, he needs to go. But to further what everyone is saying. Dwight just sucks. I can't stand when he gets the room, demands space dribbles into the lane and get's stripped. On top of that he misses too many FT's for his lack of ability to put the ball in the hoop. I just have not been impressed with "80%" Howard at all and don't care much for his future in LA.

I don't disagree...
And I think if this is as good as it gets for him after the surgery, he's going to have to develop his game.
I would love to see him play like a PF/C.
Maybe like a bigger/more athletic Karl Malone.
But he'd have to put in some serious work.
He just needs to develop some range. I think the spacing farther from the basket could help his game. Posting in the high posts and playing off of Pau in the Low post, might free him up to use his lateral quickness and explosiveness to get to the rim more.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: Mike DAntoni Quiting?? 

Post#117 » by Slava » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 pm

twix2500 wrote:DAntoni quit on the Knicks last year when he couldnt figure out the problems with the Knicks. Now it seems he is on the exact same path and could likely quit the Lakers. Do you guys feel he will quit or be fired? And if he does quit would you be happy or disappointed?

Get a hobby
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#118 » by desertlakerfan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 pm

contract wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. The problem is that D'Antoni is obsessed with "small ball". The Lakers may as well have hired Don Nelson. If the Lakers had Tim Duncan and David Robinson, D'Antoni would find a reason to bench or trade one of them ... and he'd secretly wish to rid himself of the other one too. :lol:

This is just a load of crap. No coach is going to turn Pau Gasol into a functional NBA PF at this stage in his career.

Tired of all this blame on the coach, it wasn't apt when Brown was the coach and it isn't now either. At some point in time you have to realize the players just don't fit regardless of the system.

We make a trade for Pau or we hit the lotto and give the Suns a great player to start their rebuilding. Those are the options and Mitch knows it, he just can't say it or he loses what little leverage he currently holds in discussions.
ShowTimeERA
Assistant Coach
And1: 208

Re: Mike DAntoni Quiting?? 

Post#119 » by ShowTimeERA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:40 pm

twix2500 wrote:DAntoni quit on the Knicks last year when he couldnt figure out the problems with the Knicks. Now it seems he is on the exact same path and could likely quit the Lakers. Do you guys feel he will quit or be fired? And if he does quit would you be happy or disappointed?

Mike will not quit under any circumstance. If he does, his coaching career is done seeing as he would have walked out on two teams.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,391

Post#120 » by Danny Darko » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:50 pm

sweet! the dreaded vote of confidence. Bernie here we come.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers