ImageImageImageImageImage

Mitch: Problem is the players' effort, not coach

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

TheKiteDesigner
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Fire Pringles, hire Kurt Rambis 

Post#21 » by TheKiteDesigner » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:28 am

The problem with the current Laker team goes beyond the coach. The best way to become a contender is not to sign a bunch of aging guys. You have to have very good ascending players. Players age quickly in basketball, one minute you're at the top and if you stay with a constant roster the rest of the league will catch up to you. The Lakers still have yet to solve their bench, energy, and athleticism issue and its cost them 2 early exits the past 2 seasons in the playoffs and that's not going to change this season. It's not an offense problem, it's defense. They are too slow and too poor at rotating and help defense.
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#22 » by minifang » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:32 am

I'm not calling for it and I don't like Mike Brown, but I honestly preferred his system and brand of basketball over MDA's. The main issue was turnovers and had we stuck with him, it probably wouldn't be an issue at this point of the season. Sure, rotations were questionable but so are some of MDA.
The Purple and Gold
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#23 » by minifang » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:35 am

TheKiteDesigner wrote:The problem with the current Laker team goes beyond the coach. The best way to become a contender is not to sign a bunch of aging guys. You have to have very good ascending players. Players age quickly in basketball, one minute you're at the top and if you stay with a constant roster the rest of the league will catch up to you. The Lakers still have yet to solve their bench, energy, and athleticism issue and its cost them 2 early exits the past 2 seasons in the playoffs and that's not going to change this season. It's not an offense problem, it's defense. They are too slow and too poor at rotating and help defense.

That's the reason why I thought we should have never disassembled the bench mob (Farmar, Brown, Ariza, Sasha, etc.). Our starters play slow so we need a bench that can play at a faster pace.
The Purple and Gold
TheKiteDesigner
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#24 » by TheKiteDesigner » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:55 am

minifang wrote:
TheKiteDesigner wrote:The problem with the current Laker team goes beyond the coach. The best way to become a contender is not to sign a bunch of aging guys. You have to have very good ascending players. Players age quickly in basketball, one minute you're at the top and if you stay with a constant roster the rest of the league will catch up to you. The Lakers still have yet to solve their bench, energy, and athleticism issue and its cost them 2 early exits the past 2 seasons in the playoffs and that's not going to change this season. It's not an offense problem, it's defense. They are too slow and too poor at rotating and help defense.

That's the reason why I thought we should have never disassembled the bench mob (Farmar, Brown, Ariza, Sasha, etc.). Our starters play slow so we need a bench that can play at a faster pace.

The fact that Kobe and Nash are the only guys who can make 3s at an efficient rate. The fact that they make opposing avg guards look like all stars. They are too slow on the perimeter defensively. They hired DAntoni but I'm not seeing the DAntoni system out there. The bench is atrocious. They are playing their stats way too many minutes. The roster overall is poorly constructed. Teams over .500 are killing the Lakers and it doesn't help that they lose from time to time to teams under .500. There's really too many issues with this current team. They were scoring at a high rate with Mike Brown as well. Their biggest downfall will always be defense.
Last season in the playoffs they couldn't get a stop to save their life's vs OKC at the end of games. They were coughing up games at will. That's not going to change, Father Time has caught up to their championship core.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#25 » by NOODLESTYLE » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:26 am

minifang wrote:That's the reason why I thought we should have never disassembled the bench mob (Farmar, Brown, Ariza, Sasha, etc.). Our starters play slow so we need a bench that can play at a faster pace.

In hindsight, Lakers could have brought back Ariza and still sign Artest, as long as the Lakers were willing pay the luxury tax money and his agent wasn't playing hard ball but it didn't happen. Farmar wanted out because he was tired of playing under Phil Jackson's system, which he gave hints during his exit interview. Phil was there for one more season, which is why the Lakers ended up signing Steve Blake and let Farmar sign with NJ. Sasha became expendable because of Shannon Brown's emergence with Sasha also barely getting any PT his last season with the Lakers. Matt Barnes doesn't come back either because of Mike Brown and Lamar was already gone. They had a nice run but it's over.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#26 » by thinktank » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:28 pm

This thread makes me happy.
What would you pay a guy putting up 18 and 11 in the playoffs?
Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Post#27 » by Run-MKE 311 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:34 pm

NOODLESTYLE wrote:Although a lot of people would probably agree with you, I think Mike D'Antoni probably quits like he did in NY before he gets fired. Kurt would bring back the triangle, along with Brian Shaw, but if the Lakers orginization wanted that they would have hired Phil Jackson from the get-go.

This hits the nail right on the head, Baby Jimmy Buss has really put this organization in a jam with his coaching/system ideals.
Ball so hard.
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#28 » by Jetset » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:18 pm

Run-MKE 311 wrote:
NOODLESTYLE wrote:Although a lot of people would probably agree with you, I think Mike D'Antoni probably quits like he did in NY before he gets fired. Kurt would bring back the triangle, along with Brian Shaw, but if the Lakers orginization wanted that they would have hired Phil Jackson from the get-go.

This hits the nail right on the head, Baby Jimmy Buss has really put this organization in a jam with his coaching/system ideals.

oh here we go it was only a matter of time, let's start pointing the finger at jim buss for all of this. this falls on buss if phil didn't want complete control to go along with head coaching duties, which is contrary to what was said. if that's not true and phil would've just settled on the hc spot then this is on jim, but if it's true like i think it is seeing as phil was rumored to be somewhat interested in front office positions in orlando and portland, then no i don't want him. you don't tell mitch to step aside and go to the back burner after he just hand delivered howard and nash for someone who has no idea how to build a team and play the games that gm's play. sorry but in the position of a gm, i value mitch over phil and all 11 of his rings.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#29 » by Danny Darko » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:23 am

how long until the next Magic Johnson outburst on this subject?
Jetset
RealGM

Post#30 » by Jetset » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:41 am

whenever the next nba night is for espn.
Jetset
RealGM

Post#31 » by Jetset » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:43 am

nevermind, it was 3 hrs ago

Despite his job as an ESPN analyst, Magic Johnson never hides his love for the Lakers.

After all, he's a vice president for the team even though he doesn't get paid for it.

So just as the Lakers were arriving for their Monday morning practice, Johnson sounded off on Twitter. Nobody was spared. Maybe Robert Sacre.

Johnson started his lengthy rant (by Twitter standards) by complimenting Times columnist T.J. Simers for a Sunday column that panned the job Coach Mike D'Antoni had done this season.

Then Johnson went another direction.

"I'm tired of blaming the coach, the responsibility is on the Lakers players," he wrote.

He was only just beginning.

He said Dwight Howard needed to "stop complaining and start dominating on offense." Howard received plenty of attention for noting the Clippers' on-court chemistry was better and eminently more fun than the Lakers.

Johnson then added that Pau Gasol needed to "stop playing soft" and start getting 18 points and 10 rebounds a game.

Then he said that Kobe Bryant was "having an MVP season but the team needs him to be a better leader."

Also, Metta World Peace has to "stop making great quotes and start playing great defense" and Jodie Meeks has to "start making better shot selections."

The Lakers' big men should stop giving up easy offensive rebounds and their perimeter players should get back more quickly on defense, Johnson added.

Johnson couldn't quite keep his word, however. He ended up blaming the coach as well.

"Coach D'Antoni has to start teaching better pick & roll defense and better defensive rotations," Johnson wrote. "He also has to make sure that every Lakers players role is defined."

Johnson has often criticized the Lakers on Twitter, including their decision to hire D'Antoni instead of Phil Jackson after firing Mike Brown two months ago.

Finally, there was a parting request.

"Above everything else the Lakers players need to start having fun on the court!"
Train
Senior
And1: 9

Post#32 » by Train » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:31 am

I would be so gutted if the Lakers got Rambis.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#33 » by Danny Darko » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:21 am

well that was predictable
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,429

Post#34 » by aguifs » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:11 am

I told you... a few months ago... Do you remember the "Fire Coach Pringles Campaign"?...
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,298

Post#35 » by Ckay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:29 am

DO IT!!!! lol
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Dwight Howard's camp requested the Lakers reach out to Phil 

Post#36 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 am

http://lakerholicz.com/the-lakers-reached-out-to-phil-jackson-last-year-at-the-request-of-howards-camp/2013/01/22

Sam Smith (Bulls Beat Writer)
It’s not that acknowledged, but the Lakers went to Jackson on the suggestion of Howard’s “people,” whomever they may be. The Lakers had distanced themselves from Jackson because they didn’t believe he wanted to coach, and probably wouldn’t have had a change of heart to try if not for Howard’s suggestion. Though there are conflicting reports of what exactly happened, it is clear patriarch Jerry Buss overruled his management and rejected Jackson’s third return.

And the plot thickens. I guess more and more of this story is gonna start leaking now. Interesting read, alot of finger pointing has started it seems

Thoughts fellas.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Re: Dwight Howard's camp requested the Lakers reach out to P 

Post#37 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 am

So it wasnt just Jim but Jerry also. So can the Mike D. coaching hire not just be blamed on Jim but Jerry Buss also. Like I've been saying the FO as a whole made the mistake
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#38 » by semi-sentient » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 am

I guess it'll be interesting to see what happens. D'Antoni was clearly a mistake from the start but I wonder if they'll bite the bullet and actually fire him. Has a team ever had 4 coaches in 1 season? What a fiasco.

Mitch did such a wonderful job of putting pieces together only for ownership to completely screw it all up.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Jetset
RealGM

Post#39 » by Jetset » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 am

leeprettyp wrote:So it wasnt just Jim but Jerry also. So can the Mike D. coaching hire not just be blamed on Jim but Jerry Buss also. Like I've been saying the FO as a whole made the mistake

it's been known for quite some time that jerry buss still has the final say in operations. the only people who've continued to ignore this have agendas against jim that won't change.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 am

I say do it because the Laker fans (us) understand the current situation and that TV deal may not be as profitable as it would've been as planned. The Lakers contending and winning championships means the Buss family is practically printing money. If we dont even make the playoffs u cant even look at spending this amount of money on the roster and come up with any fair reason and excuse

Return to Los Angeles Lakers