Mitch: Problem is the players' effort, not coach

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Re: Mitch: Problem is the players' effort, not coach 

Post#141 » by HurricaneKid » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Ummm... Mitch, its a coach's job to get maximum effort out of his players. In the NBA thats essentially all they are charged with doing...

Considering the massive turnaround the Knicks had when they dumped D'A, the embarrassing level Portland and Houston are playing at, I still think there is time for LA to get into the playoffs if they bring in a high energy players coach.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#142 » by theFRANCHISE » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 pm

not sure why you guys would want Rambis, I remember when he took over at the end of the 98-99 season

Shaq, Kobe, Rice & Rodman

He didn't do much with that group 2 round knockout
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#143 » by Kilroy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 pm

theFRANCHISE wrote:not sure why you guys would want Rambis, I remember when he took over at the end of the 98-99 season

Shaq, Kobe, Rice & Rodman

He didn't do much with that group 2 round knockout

I think that one might have been squarely on Shaq. He never liked Rambis. Even before he took over Shaq was sniping on him about practice.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,190

Post#144 » by Sunsdeuce » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Just want to throw an outsider prospective in. I don't think any coach is gonna make this team better. The lakers have gone through two coaches already in one season. Clearly your laker team is dysfunctional. Didn't want to come off mean, it is what I see.

I honestly don't think even Phil can fix the internal issues this team has. Reasons I see.
1). Dwight is not a post player or scorer. He is (should say was) a great defender/rebounder/shot blocker.
2). Nash looks old. Not the same player
3). Kobe and Dwight just don't like each other and it shows on the court.
4). Absolutely no depth on the lakers.
5). Two coaches haved tried in one season and neither could make this team click. Honestly don't think any other coach is gonna fix the current team. Actually 3 but he only coach a handful of games.
6). Age is simply catching up with the lakers.
7). Kobe at his age is simply an average defender at his current age. Was really good a time ago.
8). At no time during the season has lakers had a full strength team for a game to built chemistry. Someone always seems to be hurt.

On paper the team looks scary good. But factor all this stuff in, it adds up to what you currently have. My point firing mike d now and bringing in a 4th coach spells major disaster. Just my opinion. Not trying to troll, just an outsider opinion.
“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#145 » by crazyeights » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:19 pm

Sadly we have many more problems than that.

Highlights including: the mishandling of Pau Gasol by management (two years in a row). First we brought in a new offense that was supposed to highlight him, then we fire Mike Brown in 5 games, immediately put Pau back on the trading block (at least in terms of public perception), and then MDA comes in and throws Pau under the bus (not to say his play didn't warrant a benching).

The point is this team severely lacks glue guys, being that Dwight isn't secured long-term (and TBH, after everything his image has gone through in the past two years...do you think he really gives a **** anymore? If I were Dwight and I had wanted to get out of Orlando to play in a city, and then I get involved with the dysfunction here...that's like jumping from bad relationship to an equally bad, but way more public one)...so then you have Kobe, who can't go anywhere, because it'd tarnish his reputation (just a little) and his plan to retire as a Laker--so instead of trying to conform, he merely just says of course this is my team. So Mamba, goes and does what he does, putting up essentially the same old 25-5-5 he's put up his entire career, proving he's a badass, but also solidifying his inability to change. Combine that with Nash's decline (who is perhaps the key to this entire sinking ship, considering we obviously passed on PJ to reincorporate Nash) and all we're left with is MWP who has been our one shining beacon of hope and heart.

Anyway, this team has problems on every level: management, coaches, players. Yes, the gameplan does not mesh with our players, but management probably should have done their due diligence and, you know, consulted their potential future franchise player on whether or not he wanted to run the PnR....I get that hey we're paying him, we run the team, he runs what we tell him...but the guy is just a hired gun at this point, a one year rental...if we wanted to give up the farm for him we should've at least ran it by him. That's like the equivalent of arranging a marriage for a guy who is suicidal--and knowing it...lol, I don't know how else to describe it.

I'm not one of those Jim Buss is the devil type fans, but man, they were doing so well--obviously Nash is just done, so in hindsight that move wasn't as good as it looked in the summer--but Jim really just threw everything away, all the positive momentum and trust he had built with the fans.

To me that's what this is really about. If the perception the past two years wasn't all about how Jim is the boss's dumbass son, then maybe people wouldn't be so despondent right now, but as a fanbase....IDK, the whole PJ thing, the fact that they own that damn TV channel and they're talking about how Phil's gonna come back the night before they hire some guy that nobody was asking for....they need to fire their PR guys.

This all could have been handled so much better. They LET people believe that Phil was coming back. The band was getting back together. Even Dwight was talking about it through his people. I mean, come on now, watch some Mad Men or something--you gotta control the message.

The ma and pop way the Lakers are run is getting a little out-dated. If Jeanie were such a genius, she'd see that too.

/rant

Return to Los Angeles Lakers