2014 NBA Draft Discussion Thread | Draft - June 26

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Re: 2014 NBA Draft Discussion Thread | Draft - June 26 

Post#2521 » by Mirjalovic » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:08 pm

spree8 wrote:
Mirjalovic wrote:meh, i dont like Smart, and i dont think someone who beat Smart will impress me.

I don't understand what's not to like about him

he's "fat" pg. his bodytype could lead him to be overweight, and he's too short to play as 2 when that happen. Never trust fat PG. Can't shot. Yeah he's a good finisher in the paint, and from what i've read it will translate well in NBA, but we'll see.

he had accident with fans and never win a match in NCAA tourney. Dont sound like a winner in my book despite everyone said otherwise.

Dark Faze wrote:Smart has superstar potential. I'm shocked that we haven't heard anything out of the Lakers camp about eyeing him.

what ? I believe Oladipo was better prospect than Smart (and better players in my eyes), and i dont believe Oladipo will be a superstar.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#2522 » by NBAWestFan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:13 pm

Legler is High on Aaron Gordon.

Very good team defender. could be a defensive player of the year type of player.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#2523 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:15 pm

got to wonder if the Orlando trade means Olando is planning to draft a guard to replace Afflalo (which would mean likely drafting Smart).
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,778

Post#2524 » by spree8 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:18 pm

ROballer wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/482176769303515136[/tweet]

Haaa...that's all ? People were acting like Afflalo had sooo much trade value and now look.
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#2525 » by ArC_man » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm hoping for Embiid, Randle, Payton/Smart, Gordon in that order. Don't like Vonleh. I like Smart but I think Payton will end up the better player in a couple of years.
spree8
RealGM

Post#2526 » by spree8 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Mirjalovic wrote:meh, i dont like Smart, and i dont think someone who beat Smart will impress me.

I don't understand what's not to like about him

he's "fat" pg. his bodytype could lead him to be overweight, and he's too short to play as 2 when that happen. Never trust fat PG. Can't shot. Yeah he's a good finisher in the paint, and from what i've read it will translate well in NBA, but we'll see.

he had accident with fans and never win a match in NCAA tourney. Dont sound like a winner in my book despite everyone said otherwise.

Dark Faze wrote:Smart has superstar potential. I'm shocked that we haven't heard anything out of the Lakers camp about eyeing him.

what ? I believe Oladipo was better prospect than Smart (and better players in my eyes), and i dont believe Oladipo will be a superstar.

Whaaaaaat??!! Fat??? He's 6'4" too...he's not short. Plus the NBA today doesn't have many true pg's. The pg's today are similar to him in that they score more often than traditional pg's used to like DRose, Westbrook, Curry, Wall, etc...this kid has "it", and Vonleh didn't do squat either in Indiana...doesn't mean all that much as far as his potential. NCAA is a different game brotha...you'll see once he gets to the NBA.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#2527 » by LApwnd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:41 pm

^^^I see what he means when he looks fat, Deron Williams looked fat too when he was drafted....but I dont think they're fat, both guys are more on thicker side but yes I see what he means by they could easily get fat if they dont work out during off-seasons.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#2528 » by Mirjalovic » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:44 pm

spree8 wrote:
Whaaaaaat??!! Fat??? He's 6'4" too...he's not short. Plus the NBA today doesn't have many true pg's. The pg's today are similar to him in that they score more often than traditional pg's used to like DRose, Westbrook, Curry, Wall, etc...this kid has "it", and Vonleh didn't do squat either in Indiana...doesn't mean all that much as far as his potential. NCAA is a different game brotha...you'll see once he gets to the NBA.

actually he is 6'3 with shoes on. 6'3 at 227 pounds scares me a lot.

i dont know, we will wait and see.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

spree8
RealGM

Post#2529 » by spree8 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:
spree8 wrote:

actually he is 6'3 with shoes on. 6'3 at 227 pounds scares me a lot.

i dont know, we will wait and see.

USA Team had him at 6'4" last year...combine has him at 6'3" 1/4 this year...whatever tho, it's not that big a deal as you make it. He's playing the pg position (stayed an extra year in college to improve his pg abilities) and is a perfect size for it...Westbrook and DRose are the same height if not a little shorter...neither is as strong as him. He's also got 10% body fat, so I'm not getting where your "fat" statement is coming from. But yea, we'll see..
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#2530 » by Danny Darko » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:08 pm

According to a source familiar with the Lakers' thinking, L.A. is not too keen on taking the risk on Embiid should he be on the board when it's decision time. It's simply too risky of a gamble, especially considering the Lakers already have $48.5 million invested in Kobe Bryant over the next two seasons, putting the team firmly in a win-now mindset.
Lakers front court draft options
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#2531 » by LApwnd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Danny Darko wrote:
According to a source familiar with the Lakers' thinking, L.A. is not too keen on taking the risk on Embiid should he be on the board when it's decision time. It's simply too risky of a gamble, especially considering the Lakers already have $48.5 million invested in Kobe Bryant over the next two seasons, putting the team firmly in a win-now mindset.
Lakers front court draft options

good...but if things worked out like DA mock, then I would offer just about anything to Orl. for 12th as thats where Smart got picked :lol: or even draft Payton at 12th or whereever he lands, with us getting Embiid at 7th.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#2532 » by Danny Darko » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:14 pm

it's occurred to me that most of the elite FA's will be front court guys 3's and 4's. Drafting Smart allows to grab any of those guys, where as drafting Randle means passing on the 4's. That being said, I'd take him if you think he'll be really good and is the bpa
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#2533 » by One Love » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Elfrid Payton has more upside than Randle or Smart (most viable option for us)... Dude dropped 18, 6 & 6 last year & guarded their best player... Than he has lit up everyone, dominated Smart in Sacramento, he has gone against in workouts... Dude is 6'4", plays defense, creates, rebounds & has a solid floater... Don't sleep on this dude... He is MCW with ATTITUDE... My draft is simple:

1. Embid
2. Payton
3. See #2

Hopefully Mitch remembers the last kid who was drafted #16 & NEVER lost a workout before a certain draft... Dude from Philly... You may know him... #24...

For the record, I have dropped some insight in the past & will continue to shed light from time to time... Go get your Ragin Cajun shirts ladies... Rondo's big brother is coming to LA...
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#2534 » by The Skyhook » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:28 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/482197086285598720[/tweet]
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#2535 » by MAMBAEMD » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Danny Darko wrote:it's occurred to me that most of the elite FA's will be front court guys 3's and 4's. Drafting Smart allows to grab any of those guys, where as drafting Randle means passing on the 4's. That being said, I'd take him if you think he'll be really good and is the bpa

That's a really good point.
On the other hand, Lowry is a FA that would solidify our PG and we could sign Farmar as back up.
Smart may not be NBA ready for a while, in terms of carrying the bulk of the load at PG from the get-go.
Formerly lakerRD
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#2536 » by ArC_man » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Danny Darko wrote:it's occurred to me that most of the elite FA's will be front court guys 3's and 4's. Drafting Smart allows to grab any of those guys, where as drafting Randle means passing on the 4's. That being said, I'd take him if you think he'll be really good and is the bpa

Just play Lebron at the 5, he can guard all 5 positions right? :D
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#2537 » by Kilroy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:48 pm

As we go into the draft, I'm excited to see what happens, but not really too worried about which player we get...
Primarily because we aren't really going to know if they were a good pick probably until this time next season.

I also think it's unfair to say that the pick tonight is going to turn around the Lakers. It's the first piece of the puzzle for sure, but it's likely not the biggest piece, and as optimistic as I am about our chances for a quick turn around, I feel like we have so many spots to fill from the coach on down, that we are going to at least need until next off season to get where we need to be to realistically contend. That's even if we get both Melo and LeBron...

So let's get hyped, let's stop listening to everyone saying **** can't go down to make us a championship threat this season... But let's not put all that on our new rook(s)...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#2538 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:56 pm

One Love wrote:Elfrid Payton has more upside than Randle or Smart (most viable option for us)... Dude dropped 18, 6 & 6 last year & guarded their best player... Than he has lit up everyone, dominated Smart in Sacramento, he has gone against in workouts... Dude is 6'4", plays defense, creates, rebounds & has a solid floater... Don't sleep on this dude... He is MCW with ATTITUDE... My draft is simple:

1. Embid
2. Payton
3. See #2

Hopefully Mitch remembers the last kid who was drafted #16 & NEVER lost a workout before a certain draft... Dude from Philly... You may know him... #24...

For the record, I have dropped some insight in the past & will continue to shed light from time to time... Go get your Ragin Cajun shirts ladies... Rondo's big brother is coming to LA...

ugh the guy was a JR of course his stats would be beefed up having two more years of experience. Also the fact that he's had to stay three years to get to the draft indicates that his upside isn't all that high.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#2539 » by TruSkool » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:59 pm

ROballer wrote:
LApwnd wrote:
TruSkool wrote:its gona be smart or randle. if embiid falls to 7 lakers take him. all 3 players will help the lakers, especially smart

wonder how do we even make up for Embiid absence for half the season if we do get him? Its not like we're very "deep" at the moment :lol:

I'm not sure if it's half the season......does anybody know for sure?

I've heard a 4-6 months timetable ,so even if it's 6 months he'll miss like a month of the season

*if the reports are true and not BS to make him drop

even though it may be 4-6 months, lakers will still take it easy on him and probably keep him out for the whole season and deal with him in practices and 1 on 1 drills. he should just pay hakeem olajuwon the 50grand for his private lessons while he recovers.
Levity
Pro Prospect
And1: 103

Post#2540 » by Levity » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:01 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:ugh the guy was a JR of course his stats would be beefed up having two more years of experience. Also the fact that he's had to stay three years to get to the draft indicates that his upside isn't all that high.

I dont know too much about the guy, but from the reports i read, im intrigued. its being said he has tremendous upside. he played a lot of his freshmen year in college at 17 years old, which makes him coming into the draft as a junior somewhat understandable. The boy desperately needs a jumpshot. but defensively, hes great. add that to his great court vision/passing, he has the potential to be a quality starter in the NBA.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers