ImageImageImageImageImage

Get a new coach during rebuild or before contending?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Who would be the most suitable replacement for Mike D'Antoni?

Lionel Hollins
20%
George Karl
27%
Nate McMillan
7%
Ewing
7%
Nate Tibbetts
No votes
Mario Elie
No votes
Vangundy
40%

Total votes: 15

aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Get a new coach during rebuild or before contending? 

Post#1 » by aaron_gray » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:22 pm

First off, just some things that Mike D has put on the table. We all need to appreciate him more.
1. Genius on O, plays up tempo 3 point shooting style which is fun to watch
2. Saved 758 careers this season (while killing Jordan Hill's)
3. The losses this year are obviously not his fault, take a look at the roster
4. Will help us get Embiid

Now with that said, if the organization does choose to part with him, when would be the best time to do it? Before his contract ends or after? Other coaches are going to get axed before the season ends and valuable replacements could be taken. Of course, there would be the financial burden and so on, but if the new coach started next year, he would not have the pressure to win immediately and could focus on creating a system that suits his players strengths while developing them. This would also speed up rebuilding, which would probably make a certain Mamba happy. Conversely, D'Antoni would be put in that position if the franchise chose to keep him until his contract is up. This way, the franchise could save some money and could then do the exact same thing, only a year later. However, thinking about the future, would you really want D'Antoni coaching a team that might be built around a Joel Embiid?
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Re: Get a new coach during rebuild or before contending? 

Post#2 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:55 pm

First of all MDA is on the hook for only 1 more year. His 4th year is a team option. His fate will be determined by the opening start of next season. If the team is fully healthy and we look like crap after say 25 games then he's done.

Secondly I hate his style it's not championship winning ball. I could care less if it's fun to watch, it's not winning anything. Championship ball is controlling tempo by dominating the glass on both sides, getting stops on D, playing and inside out.

That's championship basketball, and I dare anyone here to refute that.

Now I fully understand MDA hasn't been able to do this because this roster has been decimated by injury, but his style hasn't proven that it can win a championship and I doubt it will.

As far as that list I like 3 of the coaches. Our next coach has to have a defensive mind set. That's all I care about.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#3 » by myersia » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:09 pm

If the bulls don't extend thibbs I'd do anything to get him on this team.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#4 » by ROballer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:09 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
Secondly I hate his style it's not championship winning ball. I could care less if it's fun to watch, it's not winning anything. Championship ball is controlling tempo by dominating the glass on both sides, getting stops on D, playing and inside out.

I fully agree with this but you just know the small ball/3's fans will come in and refute this part of your post
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#5 » by Dr Aki » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:28 pm

i truly think we need a pragmatist, not a purist like dantoni, but im willing to give him one final chance

we need to discuss his body of work under the terms of what is/was under his control and what is not/wasnt under his control.

while he cant be held responsible for how badly we are currently, his style of play is an object of derision from almost all angles, he tried to enforce it in the nash/kobe/pau/dwight era with almost no success, the lakers stumbling to a 25-29 record at the allstar break

to dantoni's credit, he swallowed his pride and played a far more pragmatic style of emphasing the post, the 2012/13 lakers ended on a very respectable 20-8 after the break to crack the playoffs. which if they had played with this much cohesion from the outset of the dantoni era, wouldve been good enough for a .700 record or a 56-57 win season, which wouldnt have been too shabby

now, of course, we all remember what happened 2 games from the end of the season, kobe tore his achilles through an assumed overworking of a 35 yo body, something that dantoni teams seem to suffer from. in the end, the team won their final 2 season games but never recovered from the loss of kobe and got swept by the spurs.

this season, he again tried to implement his preferred style, management brought in younger players that had legs to run and the lakers started the season above expectations, going 13-13, 22 of those games without kobe bryant.

to that point, at varying stages, nash, blake, farmar, kobe, henry went down and the lakers were forced to draft from the dleague. the lakers havent looked competitive since.

overall, i think dantoni's shown a willingness to change and adapt, hes shown to be pragmatic when he thinks itll win the lakers games and generally done well with what hes had to deal with. in addition, he's consistently emphasised defense (both seasons) as a limiting factor to how far the lakers can go.

however, his effectiveness at improving the lakers' defensive woes have to be questioned as there hasnt been any real improvement in defense, individual or team. important because a lot of us seemingly are able to identify why (playing kelly over hill cough cough)

id be in favour of retaining dantoni, provided he's given a defensive assistant, one that has is able to instill solid defensive principles (ala thibodeau). of course, the players need to buy into defense as a limiting factor, but in the end, i think that depends on whether the 2014/15 lakers think they have a shot at the playoffs and are willing to work their asses off to improve on that end.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#6 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Which Van Gundy are you talking about? Jeff is one of the best basketball minds out there IMO, he'd be a great coach for this team.
cashflo
Senior
And1: 130

Post#7 » by cashflo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Jeff Van Gundy is really interesting but he's been out for a while and has a good gig. I would take a look at Rambis or Scott to be honest. I would like Pau back with a hometown discount so MDA would have to be gone. I would keep him for the rest of the tank.
cashflo
Senior
And1: 130

Post#8 » by cashflo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:43 pm

I have the Lakers going 4 and 22 the rest of the way. We will finish at 23 and 59 which would net us the third worst record in the NBA. We will not catch "The Walking Dead" Bucks or Sixers.

No reason to let go of MDA
Father Time
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#9 » by Father Time » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:54 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:First of all MDA is on the hook for only 1 more year. His 4th year is a team option. His fate will be determined by the opening start of next season. If the team is fully healthy and we look like crap after say 25 games then he's done.

Now I fully understand MDA hasn't been able to do this because this roster has been decimated by injury, but his style hasn't proven that it can win a championship and I doubt it will.

As far as that list I like 3 of the coaches. Our next coach has to have a defensive mind set. That's all I care about.

No offense but I have to say that sounds like a pretty rigid definition of winning basketball. It's perhaps a very accurate formula in the past, but imo the league's style has been evolving over the last 5 years and I think the championship formula should be reevaluated. More teams are utilizing the 3 point shot than ever, use more spacing than ever, that's a very MDA-like system. Championship teams like Miami have won not by controlling the boards and playing inside out, but by playing a free flowing, near positionless style. Speed and athleticism on the wings as well as 3pt shooting is how Miami has built their team. Look at other contenders like OKC, HOU, PHX, and LAC. They've also adopted this run and gun style. The more teams play like this the more this style will win championships as it's just the direction the league seems to be heading in.
"There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them." - Popovich

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#10 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Father Time wrote:No offense but I have to say that sounds like a pretty rigid definition of winning basketball. It's perhaps a very accurate formula in the past, but imo the league's style has been evolving over the last 5 years and I think the championship formula should be reevaluated. More teams are utilizing the 3 point shot than ever, use more spacing than ever, that's a very MDA-like system. Championship teams like Miami have won not by controlling the boards and playing inside out, but by playing a free flowing, near positionless style. Speed and athleticism on the wings as well as 3pt shooting is how Miami has built their team. Look at other contenders like OKC, HOU, PHX, and LAC. They've also adopted this run and gun style. The more teams play like this the more this style will win championships as it's just the direction the league seems to be heading in.

I have way too much to say to you, but very little time.

Lebron and Jordan-led teams are the exception, not the rule.

Run and gun is not new my friend. It has been en vogue for 40 years.

Some of the best teams EVER have had great, fast break style offenses. That's not really the point though.

The point is: To win rings, you must have a semblance of balance.

For all their offensive pageantry and seemingly free flowing execution, Jordan's Bulls and Lebron's Heat were/are defensively dominant.

And Dallas doesn't win their ring without the presence of a stifling defense led by Chandler.

I could go on and on.

I here your points, but the wheel has not been reinvented at all.

This year's Super Bowl is a metaphor for all other championship formulas, in all sports.

In basketball, defense, rebounding, half court offensive execution (usually through the post), and chemistry/trust is and always will be the championship formula.

The Lakers will NEVER win a ring, EVER, if their starting PF (Ryan Kelly) is only grabbing 4 rebounds a game, I don't care how many threes he's making. Just won't happen.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#11 » by Kilroy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:03 pm

I think it's interesting that they brought Rambis in to be MDA's assistant. He could be a good coach for the rebuild years... Low expectations and big potential rewards... Especially if he's learned a thing or 2 in his time in Minni and under MDA.

Not sure why Scott hasn't been too successful as a coach... It'd be worth giving him a shot too...

But if Thibs leaves Chicago you have to make a hard run at him too.

I think right now and for the next few years, the coach is mostly irrelevant, but there does seem to be some logic in going away from a seemingly divisive figure like MDA in favor of a more neutral presence.

Personally, I think how Nash goes, so does MDA... If Nash goes, MDA will be right behind. Regardless of what the FO has said to this point.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#12 » by TonyMontana » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:03 am

Kilroy wrote:
But if Thibs leaves Chicago you have to make a hard run at him too.

He is my number one choice! Sloan next!!

Then Magic!! :lol:

Kilroy wrote: Personally, I think how Nash goes, so does MDA... If Nash goes, MDA will be right behind. .

Hope your right!
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#13 » by ALL HAIL » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 am

D'Antoni is perfect for the Lakers this season for obvious reasons, but next year the Lakers MUST be better or else they'll lose a high pick.

For that reason, D'Antoni should be fired.

A philosophical change must occur immediately after the season in order to insure the Lakers don't give away a "great" pick in next year's draft.

In no way are my comments an indictment of D'Antoni as the sole reason for this disastrous season. The Laker's record is not entirely, or evenly mainly, his fault.

Going forward, this team just needs a new "vibe", a cleansing, to be successful next year.

And that is the goal next year ... to be a winning team.
Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 644

Post#14 » by Desiderium » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:52 am

I think our next coach will be Byron Scott. Already with the organization.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,134

Post#15 » by Edrees » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:08 am

DEEP3CL wrote:First of all MDA is on the hook for only 1 more year. His 4th year is a team option. His fate will be determined by the opening start of next season. If the team is fully healthy and we look like crap after say 25 games then he's done.

While I Agree that what you described is championship winning basketball, and that MDA's style IS NOT, it's not the only way to win in today's NBA. Does Miami really slow down the pace? They are a fast break team. Slowing down and playing in to out is how you beat Miami, but nobody has been able to do that to them in 3 years.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#16 » by Danny Darko » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:10 am

I'd cut him this offseason and pursue either Thibs or Scott, or... Rambis if and only if Phil would advice in a Tex Winters role.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,317

Post#17 » by Ckay » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:13 am

Jim Buss..... :lol:
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#18 » by ArC_man » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:17 am

I've seen writing on the wall from a mile away, our new head coach is going to be the Mad Dog. He's been groomed by D'Antoni on everything not to do as a head coach, there's no possible way he could fail. Who wouldn't want to play hard for this guy?

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,651

Post#19 » by dockingsched » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:41 am

if its to replace him with one of these recycled out of touch coaches like byron scott, george karl, lionel hollins, i pass easily. at least MDA can create value out of players who've been busts.

if its to replace him with a young upstart in the mold of stevens, vogel, or hornacek, im all for it.

if its to get thibs, i do anything possible to make it happen.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#20 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:46 am

Didn't and couldn't be bothered to start a new thread, I have a question for you all

If we didn't get any Injuries and Kobe came back with out a 2nd where do you all think we would be with the team we have??

Remember we were 10-9 b4 Kobe came back I think ?? and on the verge of going 2-4 games above .500, but that was until Kobe came back and the team was nerves then follow the Injuries

so if we stayed healthy where do you all t hink we would be? I recon around 5th, 6th seed, but I have a lot of faith in the Lakers.
Bring back Defense

Return to Los Angeles Lakers