ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Targeting Teen Dante Exum

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Lakers Targeting Teen Dante Exum 

Post#1 » by leeprettyp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:27 pm

http://www.nba.com/news/features/david_aldridge/morning-tip-david-aldridge-big-board-point-guards-2014-draft/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt6d

Exum, who won't turn 19 until July, excelled both at the Nike Hoop Summit and the Under-19 World Championships in the Czech Republic in 2013. He scored 33 points for Australia against Spain in the world quarterfinals, and more than held his own in Portland. He played in Canberra for a post-secondary school this season and decided last January to apply for the Draft rather than enroll at a U.S. college this year. He's already hired an agent and has been encamped in Los Angeles for the last few weeks -- and, given that his agent is also Kobe Bryant's agent, there's been more than a little speculation that the Lakers have targeted the talented teen.

"I bet you it's going to be a Dion Waiters situation where he's not going to work out for everybody; he's only going to work out for one or two teams," an Atlantic Division executive said. "He's not going to work out for Milwaukee. He's pretty good. All that stuff, for me, I like those kind of talented kids. But when you pick high up there, that's when you've got to know."

He is skinny, but he is explosive, possessing a dynamic first step that will allow him to get into the lane. He's already an extremely creative passer. His shot is a work in progress, but scouts said it has improved in the last year, to the point where he could be a combo guard in the pros.

Seems some executives believe Exum may end up more of a combo guard rather than a PG. If we miss out on Wiggins and Parker then I'd be ok with Exum being the pick. If by chance those guys are off the board I may then consider moving the pick if the right option and impact player becomes available.

My personal draft order for Lakers in this Draft if available

1)Wiggins (Ceiling is too high to pass up)
2)Parker (Will be an offensive gem)
3)Exum

I'd personally stay away from Embiid. I just believe he's going to be injury prone in his NBA career. He's having some of the same back issues that Okafor was having when he was at UCONN in college. After those 3 guys I'd seriously consider moving this lottery pick. Just my opinion, I know most of you would disagree with that and rather draft a guy like Randall.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Re: Lakers Targeting Teen Dante Exum 

Post#2 » by ROballer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:37 pm

One 3 week recovery injury doesn't mean he'll have a injury prone career,c'mon now.....you can't say about anybody that he'll have a injury prone career for sure,but if you want to so badly, I guess Bynum,Oden and Noel come to mind as better examples,since they had way worse injuries as youngsters

Parker over Embiid.....never..You're just being a little paranoid on Embiid's injury.If it was a herniated disk I'd probably be on your side but it's not

1.Wiggins
2.Embiid
3.Parker
4.Exum(uncertainty for the most part,I could take him over Parker,not the first 2 eventually)
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#3 » by ROballer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:41 pm

And the Lakers are targeting Exum under the hypothetis that we end up like our record shows in the draft....4-5th worst

That's the worse case scenario(and probable)....there is also a best case scenario(improbable but can very much happen)..we advance in the lottery

And if we do advance I can pretty much guarantee you we don't pick Exum, say we have a top 2 pick

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#4 » by Slava » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:07 pm

So Dion Waiters refused to work out for teams and ended up in Cleveland?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#5 » by leeprettyp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:12 pm

ROballer wrote:One 3 week recovery injury doesn't mean he'll have a injury prone career,c'mon now.....you can't say about anybody that he'll have a injury prone career for sure,but if you want to so badly, I guess Bynum,Oden and Noel come to mind as better examples,since they had way worse injuries as youngsters

Parker over Embiid.....never..You're just being a little paranoid on Embiid's injury.If it was a herniated disk I'd probably be on your side but it's not

1.Wiggins
2.Embiid
3.Parker
4.Exum(uncertainty for the most part,I could take him over Parker,not the first 2 eventually)

I think your a little too hard on Parker bro. Duke was undersized this year. Parker really is a SG/SF in the NBA. He's also a little chunky and hasn't fully grown into his body yet either. I think he resembles a college Melo (not as good though). I just wouldn't take either Exum or Embiid before Parker. But I hear your side of the argument. I just wouldn't suggest we go that route assuming we get a top 3-5 pick and their still on the board
ROballer
General Manager

Post#6 » by ROballer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Slava wrote:So Dion Waiters refused to work out for teams and ended up in Cleveland?

:rofl: :rofl:

ROballer
General Manager

Post#7 » by ROballer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:18 pm

leeprettyp wrote:
ROballer wrote:One 3 week recovery injury doesn't mean he'll have a injury prone career,c'mon now.....you can't say about anybody that he'll have a injury prone career for sure,but if you want to so badly, I guess Bynum,Oden and Noel come to mind as better examples,since they had way worse injuries as youngsters

1.Wiggins
2.Embiid
3.Parker

I think your a little too hard on Parker bro. Duke was undersized this year. Parker really is a SG/SF in the NBA. He's also a little chunky and hasn't fully grown into his body yet either. I think he resembles a college Melo (not as good though). I just wouldn't take either Exum or Embiid before Parker. But I hear your side of the argument. I just wouldn't suggest we go that route assuming we get a top 3-5 pick and their still on the board

How am I being hard...I still view Parker as 3rd on my board and considering the range of our pick,he's probably more likely to fall to us eventually than Embiid and Wiggins

I know exactly what Parker can and will do....I don't know for sure what Wiggins and Embiid WILL do,but I believe I know what they CAN......and Wiggins/Embiid's "can" >> Parker's "can"

I'm gonna risk it at this point...will take ceiling over floor

Will take and support any of the 4 though,that's for sure....I won't have anything against them,which one will fall to us,won't bash him because he was chosen over another one or stuff like that..I'm just stating my preferences

BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#8 » by BEazy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:57 pm

I think i would go with 1. Wiggins 2. Exum 3. Embiid 4. Parker 5. Randle.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#9 » by TonyMontana » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:32 pm

I have a feeling Exum will go first!! Just saying.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#10 » by Kilroy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Not sure I can see first... Still think size will win out and Embiid will go first.
But I could see him 3rd after Parker... And I could see us with the 3rd pick.

I think Exum is benefiting a bit from not having to drop his shorts on the big March Madness stage, but I also think of all the hyped players, he might have the best motor.... And the fact that he seems to want to be a Laker pretty bad is all the better because he'll work harder for it.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
frozt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#11 » by frozt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Honestly, I would take a shot with him over Parker/Wiggins. I mean you have to take Embiid, but damn, I wish he was already side lined at such a young age with an injury. Just another 7 footer that may or may not have injury concerns...I really, really want Exum.
Resident band wagon vigilante.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#12 » by Fresh360Waves » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:29 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:I think i would go with 1. Wiggins 2. Exum 3. Embiid 4. Parker 5. Randle.

I agree w/ this. Yeah there's a lot of uncertainty with Exum but I think he is worth the gamble. People said the same about Giannis Antetokounmpo and he's been doing good with MIL.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#13 » by spree8 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:30 pm

I wouldn't mind him. He looks like a cross between Manu and Batum. I would take him over the big guy. Something about an injury regardless if it's only his first, that makes me run for the hills. Especially with this team that simply doesn't get many opportunities to draft this high. Any red flag like that makes me look elsewhere. I get it's not that bad, but still.

The fact that Ex hasn't played in college does make me question if I'd take him over one of the big names like Wiggins or Parker. Then again, Wiggins didn't do great in the tourney himself. Tough decision. I just pray the lotto gods give this team a top 3 pick.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#14 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:35 pm

After the Top 3 obvious choices, Exum would be my next choice.

I think Embiid's draft stock actually helped by not playing at all and letting Parker/Wiggins stink it up and fail against inferior opponents. Depends on who picks 1st and what position they need help at but the top 3 are set in stone IMO.

Lakers will likely pick from 5-7 so Exum, Smart, or Randle are the likely choices. Kyle Anderson has also skyrocketed in mock drafts recently and he's #5 overall on NBADraft.net. He seems legit IMO, dude is 6'9'' and can control the game from everywhere on the floor.
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#15 » by The Skyhook » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:51 pm

I like this little bit here from that article.

"He's a stud," a Southwest Division executive said. "He's a real one. He's not one of those maybes. He's like [Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins]. In the summer tournament, nobody could stop him. He was the best player in the world in the World Championships. He's got to gain weight, but that'll come. He's talented. You keep him as a combo, because you want him to learn both spots. I would just put him at the point and let him run it."

I wonder which Southwest division executive said this. Perhaps the Spurs scouted him before he blew up. They're always great at scouting international talent.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#16 » by spree8 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:30 pm

Would anybody actually be in favor of trading the pick for immediate help?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#17 » by Slava » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:36 pm

spree8 wrote:Would anybody actually be in favor of trading the pick for immediate help?

No Fking Way!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#18 » by The Skyhook » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:36 pm

spree8 wrote:Would anybody actually be in favor of trading the pick for immediate help?

Three names seem to be thrown around when people talk about the Lakers and immediate help. Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Love, and Kyrie Irving. Seeing how Carmelo is going to be a free agent and Kevin Love is only one year from free agency I would not entertain any moves. However Kyrie Irving is an interesting case but I'm not sure the Cavs would be willing to part ways with Irving if Embiid, Wiggins, Parker, and Exum are off the board. I also don't see how the Lakers entertain any moves if those 4 on the board when we pick.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#19 » by dockingsched » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:51 pm

The more of these reports that come out the more i doubt the lakers are targeting him.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#20 » by chefy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:24 am

i dont see him being better than parker or wiggins. he looks like hes one of those players that needs his team's system to revolve around him, in order for him to really maximize his strengths, kinda like nash or rondo. his athleticism is just slightly above average, but its his length and good bball iq that makes him a good slasher, kinda like ginobili, but he really has a weak left side, watch a couple of videos of him and you'll notice this too. i can see him being a shooting guard and better version of prime teyshaun prince. if he can find a team that is willing to run their entire system through him then he might exceed this.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers