ImageImageImageImageImage

Mike D'Antoni, Marshall University have "mutual interest"

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Mike D'Antoni, Marshall University have "mutual interest" 

Post#1 » by AI » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:05 am

Marshall has reached out to Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike D'Antoni about its head coaching vacancy, a source close to D'Antoni confirmed to CBSSports.com on Thursday night.

ESPN.com first reported the interest from Marshall.

But D'Antoni is interested, too, a source said.

"I would think his days are numbered based on Kobe saying he had no interest in playing for him next year," a source told CBSSports.com. "If he isn't with the Lakers, I believe he will be at Marshall because there is mutual interest."

Read more at http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... um=twitter

----

I think this is a good next step for Mike D'Antoni. He clearly has no future with the Lakers, or the NBA for that matter (unless he willingly becomes an assistant coach -- which I doubt he would consider). His coaching and preferred style of play would fit a lot better in the NCAA. Though, the question is: if D'Antoni leaves for Marshall, who replaces him? Rambis, Scott?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Re: Mike D'Antoni, Marshall University have "mutual interest 

Post#2 » by Slava » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:08 am

I think he could have his pick of college jobs and frankly could go to a bigger program.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Post#3 » by AI » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:24 am

Slava wrote:I think he could have his pick of college jobs and frankly could go to a bigger program.

Probably, as he is a big name. However if he were to coach NCAA, I think he would ultimately go to Marshall because it is his alma mater, and like the article states, he has close ties with the people there.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#4 » by Slava » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:30 am

AI wrote:
Slava wrote:I think he could have his pick of college jobs and frankly could go to a bigger program.

Probably, as he is a big name. However if he were to coach NCAA, I think he would ultimately go to Marshall because it is his alma mater, and like the article states, he has close ties with the people there.

Yeah just read that. I always thought he was a WV guy.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
H00PDREAMS
Veteran
And1: 112

Post#5 » by H00PDREAMS » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:37 am

Oh thank you YEEZUS! Finally, an exit strategy!!!!
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#6 » by BEazy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:46 am

Dream come true if this guy leaves to a no name school. He can certainly play his no defense strategy in the NCAA.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#7 » by Mirjalovic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:57 am

What division Marshall University on ?
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

WCDYNASTY
Bench Warmer
And1: 95

Post#8 » by WCDYNASTY » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:12 am

Fire MDA and let him go to Marshall... then sign Byron Scott to replace him... boom!
denimourson
Rookie
And1: 615

Post#9 » by denimourson » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:18 am

AI wrote:
Marshall has reached out to Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike D'Antoni about its head coaching vacancy, a source close to D'Antoni confirmed to CBSSports.com on Thursday night.

"I would think his days are numbered based on Kobe saying he had no interest in playing for him next year," a source told CBSSports.com. "If he isn't with the Lakers, I believe he will be at Marshall because there is mutual interest."

----

I think this is a good next step for Mike D'Antoni. He clearly has no future with the Lakers, or the NBA for that matter (unless he willingly becomes an assistant coach -- which I doubt he would consider). His coaching and preferred style of play would fit a lot better in the NCAA. Though, the question is: if D'Antoni leaves for Marshall, who replaces him? Rambis, Scott?

RealGM WT says otherwise of D'Antoni not having any interest in the Marshall job. As for Dantoni's style fitting the NCAA isn't it that the opposite? You always hear ESPN guys from PTI, Around the Horn always bring up the issue of the college shot clock of 34 seconds being too long. So as a result you see lower scoring in games.

Brady to LBJ: Psst...hey, man you want these deflated basketballs?
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#10 » by ak7 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:26 am

denimourson wrote:
AI wrote:

----

RealGM WT says otherwise of D'Antoni not having any interest in the Marshall job. As for Dantoni's style fitting the NCAA isn't it that the opposite? You always hear ESPN guys from PTI, Around the Horn always bring up the issue of the college shot clock of 34 seconds being too long. So as a result you see lower scoring in games.

Despite the shot clock being longer, the college gameplay is getting so much more faster. I wonder what MDA will do when he has to actually coach defense and not use the "well they are professionals I shouldn't have to tell them to rotate" excuse.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#11 » by myersia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:39 am

MDA would be a perfect fit for a college team. His system would flourish. College athletes would listen to him. This is a win-win for MDA. I could easily see him being an extremely successful coach in the NCAA.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#12 » by MAMBAEMD » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:37 am

In college, specially important for the bigger programs, you have to be able to recruit well.
I can see him going to a smaller program, but doubt bigger programs would take him because of the recruiting factor.
Formerly lakerRD
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#13 » by leeprettyp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:15 am

This opportunity can work for Dantoni IMO. Less ego's in college hoop and he can recruit the type of players he wants to coach to play in his system
cashflo
Senior
And1: 130

Post#14 » by cashflo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Do it Mike!
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,465

Post#15 » by dockingsched » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:15 pm

i wouldn't make more of this than it is. sounds like just an alma mater that always asks MDA about the position anytime they have an opening.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Thundering Herd have pursued D'Antoni before and made this latest inquiry -- which coincides with his uncertain future in Los Angeles -- because they "always sound him out" any time Marshall has an opening in a bow to D'Antoni's stature in school history.

But sources stressed D'Antoni is highly unlikely to make such a switch even if the Lakers opt for a coaching change at season's end.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#16 » by Kilroy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:54 pm

The other thing that bothers me about this story is did Kobe actually say, "I have no interest in playing with MDA next season?" I've never seen a direct quote to that effect. Just that he was rumored to have not interest...

Whatever happens, I just want the minimum of drama possible... So if MDA finds another job, that'd be fine by me. I just don't think I put a whole lot of stock in this article...

I think we need to go in another direction at this point, but it's hard to know until we get a roster for next season.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#17 » by Dr Aki » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:11 pm

the lakers need a coach that inspires confidence.

they need one that actually makes the lakers overachieve, if only to attract premier free agents.

MDA is not that coach, even if the lakers turning in their worst season in history isn't his fault.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#18 » by Wavy Q » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:11 pm

opened the thread assuming it was gonna be another dumb kendall marshall nickname, and a suspect title, left happy.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#19 » by Danny Darko » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Do it Mike!
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#20 » by TonyMontana » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Ill help him pack!! Any openings for Nash too? This got me so excited Im going to AND 1 every bodies post even DOCs!! :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers