Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Lakers fan's civil war 

Post#21 » by Kilroy » Fri Apr 4, 2014 2:17 am

dockingsched wrote:
LApwnd wrote:I'm a Laker fan and not much of a Kobe fan but I dont feel he's wrong for saying the things he has in regards to winning. If he didn't cry to the media Pau trade doesn't happen and mgmt. cont. on course for that supposed Amare/Yao plan, imagine where we would be had that contiued.

i think its ridiculous that anyone thinks the only reason the lakers made the pau trade was to make kobe happy after his tantrum months earlier.

Agree, and here's an interesting thought... Kobe and Pau were rumored to have spent some time together in Spain in the summer prior to his melt down and trade demand...

What if he knew all along that Pau was coming and his tantrum was nothing more than a smoke screen and publicity stunt?

Kobe's contract isn't the most convenient, but I think the level to which it hinders our future is being vastly overblown.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#22 » by crazyeights » Fri Apr 4, 2014 2:21 am

IDK, that "ship his ass out" seemed pretty impromptu. Early camera phone days. That'd be some Machiavellian type stuff on Kobe's part.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#23 » by Kilroy » Fri Apr 4, 2014 2:24 am

crazyeights wrote:IDK, that "ship his ass out" seemed pretty impromptu. Early camera phone days. That'd be some Machiavellian type stuff on Kobe's part.

Funny, I get the impression Kobe is a huge student of Machiavelli... He may be the most Machiavellian figure in sports.

That said, I never thought he was that serious in the "ship his ass out" video... It always seemed like a goof to me.
I could see how it might dawn on everyone how they could use it once it went public.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#24 » by crazyeights » Fri Apr 4, 2014 2:38 am

Kilroy wrote:
crazyeights wrote:IDK, that "ship his ass out" seemed pretty impromptu. Early camera phone days. That'd be some Machiavellian type stuff on Kobe's part.

Funny, I get the impression Kobe is a huge student of Machiavelli... He may be the most Machiavellian figure in sports.

That said, I never thought he was that serious in the "ship his ass out" video... It always seemed like a goof to me.
I could see how it might dawn on everyone how they could use it once it went public.

I actually think Kobe is the type that's so passionate that he doesn't always think straight. Hence a lot of bad one-on-one possessions. He's an intelligent guy, but can sure be thick sometimes.

Indeed interesting to think about.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#25 » by iamworthy » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:35 am

Any REAL evidence that kobe's rant had nothing to do with the Pau Gasol trade? just curious.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#26 » by Edrees » Mon Apr 7, 2014 4:56 pm

The reason I wanted Kobe to take less money was for Kobe's sake. his best chance of getting another ring was to take less money so the Lakers organization can sign talented players to win Kobe a 6th ring. It's like taking candy away from your kids because you love them. I don't know why people don't understand this concept.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#27 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:30 am

The civil war is not between Kobe fans and Laker fans

The civil war is between Jim Buss: basketball decision maker and Laker fans.

We all KNEW Phil was the answer. D'Antonie let Kobe play 48 mins for weeks before the injury. If Phil was there the offense would have looked great, Kobe would have never played those kind of minutes. Nash would have shot lights out like an upgraded D-Fish in that role. But they chose Nash's coach instead of OUR coach, who won this city 5 championships and is a Buss family member.

Everything has been fallout for the biggest goof in franchise history. Jim said his Dad wanted D'A instead of Phil. Jeanie said Jim was lying so the fallout wasn't on his shoulders. Now that ship and 'chips have sailed. The civil war is wanting what is best for our franchise. Jim Buss isn't a basketball mind.

I know that Jerry wanted his son to make great basketball decisions but that is Mitch's job. I think Jerry would have reconsidered after the way things turned out. I love this franchise but hate what Jim Buss is doing. I love Kobe but hate what Jim Buss did giving him a ridiculous contract. I feel about Jim Buss the way NY fans feel about Dolan. I just want Jim to do what his Dad did, develop great personal relationship with the players, play poker, hook up with young girls and let the GM do his job.

Mitch would have picked Phil. With Phil Dwight would have resigned and if he didn't get his ish together we could have traded him for Blake & DA Jordan.

I'm a pro Laker fan that wants Jim Buss fired.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#28 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:40 am

Edrees wrote:The reason I wanted Kobe to take less money was for Kobe's sake. his best chance of getting another ring was to take less money so the Lakers organization can sign talented players to win Kobe a 6th ring. It's like taking candy away from your kids because you love them. I don't know why people don't understand this concept.

That was Jim Buss's 3rd mistake.
1) Picked D'Antonie over Phil
2) Didn't get Dwight to stay -he would have stayed w/ Phil
3) Gave injured Kobe a ridiculous contract. Of course Kobe is going to take it. He has to believe he is the best basketball player in the world. It is how he operates. But Kobe said he wasn't going anywhere so why pay him sooooo much. Kobe wants to win #6 above all else. Jim Buss said the Lakers could sign another FA w/ Kobe. I don't think it was even mentioned to Kobe the only way we can do that is we get rid of Gasol. I think Buss painted too rosey a picture to Kobe when he brought that contract to Kobe.

Enough is enough. Jim Buss can't have the same kind personal relationship with players that his dad did while he is VP of basketball. Jim Buss needs to build personal relationships with his players and just live it up w/ poker and women. Offer his job to Jerry West. West and Mitch together could fix this franchise.

D'Antonie is a punk for going after Gasol his first week here. I just hate D'Antonie as Lakers head coach and Jim Buss as VP of Laker basketball decisions. I want both fired. We can find better. Just demote D'Antonie to offense coordinator and let the second unit run and gun sometimes. Small ball can be effective in stretches but not all the time.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#29 » by spree8 » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:07 pm

I wouldn't really say it's a bad thing to be a "Kobe guy" because as a Laker fan, the guy has been here for almost 2 decades. That's a huge portion of many of our lives. I've been a fan since 1999-2000 and have admired Kobe since the start of his career. When the guy brings 5 titles to your team, and would practically play through anything short of 2 broken legs it's hard to not want what's best for him.

Frankly, I would question the loyalty of the fans who don't have that level of respect and love for the guy who has been the face of the franchise for 2 decades. It's almost like a boss not recognizing or rewarding their employee for their hard work, sacrifice and success they've brought to the company. I know it's not the same but that's the best analogy I can give.

I don't think it's that easy to say "I root for the name on the front not the back"...how could you turn your back on someone who's given you everything you could possibly ask for as a fan for almost 20 years?? He deserves more respect than that fellas. That's not right to say imo.

Yea he makes millions and asked for a trade (which was just a way of forcing them to get better and it worked)...he never wanted to leave. Yea he didn't take a pay cut, but not many players do. For the players like the Miami big 3 and Duncan who did, there are 10x the players who didn't. That's his right. Not to mention, unlike the Miami 3, Kobe doesn't have a guarantee that a pay cut would get top stars who are compatible with him. They still managed to get Dwight and Nash without a pay cut and look what happened. So I don't blame him.

In terms of what this franchise should do, I'm torn. On one hand I think the pick should be kept, but when I think of Kobe and everything he's done, I feel he's earned the right to go out swinging and I feel that the fans should stick by him the way he has stuck around here through the good and bad.

It's tough, if the pick is top 3 is even tougher. IMO if the pick stays 6th, since it's a 5 potential franchise player draft, then I'd probably trade it for KLove, but first I'd be getting together with agents of FA's to see who would be interested in coming for the money available...approx 16 mil.

At the end of the day, we are not talking about a regular player here folks. He's not a journeyman, or even a Lebron type who packed up and left his team, this guy bleeds purple and gold. I'd stick by him and let him go out on his shield...when he's gone, then a rebuild can be done the right way.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid

Return to Los Angeles Lakers