ImageImageImageImageImage

The best conference to draft from is

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

The best conference to draft from is 

Post#1 » by aaron_gray » Fri Apr 4, 2014 12:32 pm

The ACC. The SEC is second, but this exercise was to see which conference was more competitive and thus develop better players through this competition, not which school can recruit the best players. If you took away UNC and Duke from the ACC, it would still be third. If you took away Kentucky from the SEC, it would be last (by a mile). .

I know CBS did something similar a while ago, and 82games.com did one in 2008. This is for the past five drafts, starting from the 09 one.

For each anchor, as in a superstar who can either anchor the offense or defense, or an elite 2 way player like Paul George, I gave 5 points. For someone who might make an all-star game every other year (see Johnson, Joe) I gave 3, 2 for someone who is an all-star in their peak (Aaron Afflalo) and for role players 1. I based a lot of this on potential, since I can't exactly know for sure what MCW is going to turn out 5 years from now. For all I know, he could end up like Tyreke Evans. Speaking of Tyreke Evans, I didn't include mid-major schools because that wouldn't be fair. You can't pit a conference against 20 other ones combined. Then mid-majors, like Memphis, were not included. Neither were second rounders, b/c I want to eat dinner.

The Big Ten
Indiana-7
Total: 18

SEC
Kentucky-30
Total: 38

Big 12
Kansas-5
Total: 15

ACC
UNC-16
Total: 45

Big East
UConn-9
Total: 23

Pac 12
USC-7
Total: 28

I'm going to do the same thing for schools later, and this time I'm going to include second rounders. I'm also going to come up with a better point system. The goal of this is to later cross-reference it with different rankings to determine where the success of an NBA player originates, and which factors are of the most value. Does the school matter more, or the conference matter more, or do all top HS players make it to the nba, so on and so forth.
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Re: The best conference to draft from is 

Post#2 » by Slava » Fri Apr 4, 2014 4:06 pm

Surely UCLA has to be higher up in the PAC 12 by your scoring. Kevin Love, Westbrook etc
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#3 » by ArC_man » Fri Apr 4, 2014 11:33 pm

It's from the 2009 draft onwards, Westbrook/Love were 2008.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,651

Post#4 » by dockingsched » Sat Apr 5, 2014 1:07 am

I think to answer the "best conference to draft from" question a better approach would be to see how often players from a specific conference outperform or underperform their draft position.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore

Return to Los Angeles Lakers