ImageImageImageImageImage

How to build around Kobe/Exum?

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Re: How to build around Kobe/Exum? 

Post#21 » by slicedbread2 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 10:18 am

I'd wait till the draft to see where this team lands. Exum seems to have no qualms about Orlando despite many GM's worrying that he will force his way to LA. He's the new Penny Hardaway in some ways and I'd be worried.
I think that in spite of Kobe putting it bluntly that he's not waiting for a rebuild and wants a title now, I'd let Kupchak work his magic. The only worry is Jim Buss since he may pull a Jerry Jones and try to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

On draft night, if Exum is gone and say the Lakers get 6-7 and a team is willing to pay a little extra like to move from the 8-9 slot and is willing to throw in some second rounders(Detroit for instance) or an additional first rounder, it's something to consider. Otherwise keep the pick. I'd be intrigued in Noah Vonleh who has some Jamal Mashburn in his game although he'd probably be gone. I'd be worried if they take Randle since he has the highest bust potential out of all the top prospects in the draft.

As far as what the Lakers can do, it's pretty limited especially if D'Antoni is coming back. If he is, say bye to whatever chance you had of Melo coming which wouldn't be wise and Gasol as well. They need to find a coach say that guy from Wichita State or the college ranks, Europe(David Blatt) or anybody else. If you do this, you may have a better chance at getting FA's to come here, but with ownership in disarray it isn't likely.

As far as the FA market goes, I don't think it'd be wise for the Lakers to go for it. The FA's out there are not guys you build around or are complimentary pieces that do not fit the Lakers right now who need to get some young prospects through the draft. Not to mention that Nash+Kobe+draft pick+Sacre+Marshall will eat up at least 36-38 million in cap space before you fill out the rest of the roster.

I'd use whatever remaining cap space to bring back some of the guys from this year's roster assuming it's a reasonable deal and I'd try to poach picks from other teams looking to dump a bad contract or trying to get cap space. Then use the year on player development and strive for the worst record in the league since at worst, they could get the worst record and fall to 4th-5th and keep their pick. It can be done, but it's going to be difficult to do. Glad I'm not Kupchak trying to have to manage a bunch of egos.
politm
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#22 » by politm » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:30 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
I'd start with Kevin Love anchoring the paint

What ?
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#23 » by BEazy » Wed Apr 9, 2014 5:36 pm

politm wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
I'd start with Kevin Love anchoring the paint

What ?

He's a PF/C. His areas should be mid range/paint. He shows that he has range too so it's a big advantage for a guy like him. Why is that so confusing? Kevin Love can certainly hold the paint down defensively and offensively. If you think his main strength is his 3 point shooting then you are mistaken.

Now I'm not saying he plays C all the time but there are instances that he plays C when Pek is in foul trouble and he does pretty decent IMO.

A guy that can rebound both defensively and offensively that well isn't suppose to be on the 3 point line. I hate the misconception of people thinking he can't play defense. He can play defense just as well as any of these PF/C in the league. IMO.

You might think differently but how can he really show his talent in the paint with a big body like Pekovic? Just like Dwight and Gasol it's too crowded in there that's why he resorts to staying on the perimeter. It's working well for him but that shows how versatile he is.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
stunnar0b
Starter
And1: 121

Post#24 » by stunnar0b » Wed Apr 9, 2014 6:39 pm

I don't think someone that averages .5 blocks per game can effectively "anchor the paint" the way your describing.
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#25 » by lakersin4 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 7:25 pm

Great defensive rebounder, horrible at every other aspect of defense.. Often leaves his man to go after the rebound.. Can't protect the rim at all.. You either need a great rim protector next to Love or a team with really good perimeter defenders & a coach with great defensive schemes..
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 293

Post#26 » by eitanr » Wed Apr 9, 2014 9:03 pm

Totally unbiased fan here. Not trolling...just interested in the Lakers' situation.

I think their best scenario is as follows:

Draft: Julies Randle =- Why? I think he's the most NBA ready of anyone coming out and has potential to be very dangerous with Kobe over the next several years.

Sign: Kyle Lowry (3 35M) - Why? I think he's extremely underrated and teams may back off a bit due to attitude concerns. He has shown that the more touches he gets the more effective he is and I see him improving under MDA potentially, if not would be a great PG for the team in both the immediate and long term future.

Sign and Trade: Pau Gasol for Omer Asik - Why? LAL still needs to place itself in position to sign one max guy in 2015 in case James and co opt out. This allows that to happen and Asik's strong defensive presence would be a welcomed fit with this unit. No need to overpay for role players, the team should try sign a slew of vets on 1 year deals to keep that 2015 cap space alive.

1-year vet deals: -

One of: Nate Robinson, Jerryd Bayless, Aaron Brooks
One of: Beno Udrih, Jimmer Freddette, Toney Douglas
One of: Alan Anderson, Anthony Morrow, Shane Battier
One of: Danny Granger, Caron Butler, Richard Jefferson
One of: DeJaun Blair, Kris Humphries, Elton Brand
One of: Ekpe Udoh, Jason Smith,

Potential Lakers Lineup:
PF J. Randle/ D. Blair
SF K. Bryant/ D. Granger
C O. Asik/ J. Smith
SG A. Anderson/ J. Fredette
PG K. Lowry/ N. Robinson
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#27 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Apr 9, 2014 9:27 pm

Dr Aki wrote:dont count chickens before they hatch

Then we got nothing to count-
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#28 » by One Love » Wed Apr 9, 2014 11:44 pm

We start with Exum this year & Love next year... The real questions is how we buld around Love & Exum... Kobe will ride out to sunrise... I like Lowry allot but do believe we draft Exum... That being said with Kobe ($25m), Love ($18m) & a couple young players on low deals we need to find value cans defensive oriented team players... Love need a banger who protected the rim... Exum needs wings who cut, okay defense and get buckets... Let's to Lakeshow...
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#29 » by TyCobb » Wed Apr 9, 2014 11:50 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:dont count chickens before they hatch

Then we got nothing to count-

Good, because I hate math.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
KingLakers
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#30 » by KingLakers » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:16 am

For me number 1 is a new coach, #2 draft Exum, #3 resign Pau, Hill, Young, Xavier, Farmar, Bazemore, Kelly, #4 sign Ariza he doesn't have the mileage that Deng has, #5 if Boozer is amnestied put a claim on him.
Obviously since they have contracts Nash, Marshall, Kobe and Sacre return.
Final Lakers roster for 2014-2015
PG. Nash, Farmar, Exum, Marshall
SG. Kobe, Young, Bazemore
SF. Ariza, Xavier
PF. Boozer, Hill, Kelly
C. Pau, Sacre
Probably not a championship contender in west but they'll win more games and be a better on court product and be a bridge to 2015 summer where they'll have the space to go after Love.
GO LAKERS
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 293

Post#31 » by eitanr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:59 pm

KingLakers wrote:For me number 1 is a new coach, #2 draft Exum, #3 resign Pau, Hill, Young, Xavier, Farmar, Bazemore, Kelly, #4 sign Ariza he doesn't have the mileage that Deng has, #5 if Boozer is amnestied put a claim on him.
Obviously since they have contracts Nash, Marshall, Kobe and Sacre return.
Final Lakers roster for 2014-2015
PG. Nash, Farmar, Exum, Marshall
SG. Kobe, Young, Bazemore
SF. Ariza, Xavier
PF. Boozer, Hill, Kelly
C. Pau, Sacre
Probably not a championship contender in west but they'll win more games and be a better on court product and be a bridge to 2015 summer where they'll have the space to go after Love.

That team has a 100% chance of missing the playoffs.

The Lakers need to go in a slightly different direction. Take a shot at some under the radar guys who will only demand market or less value in free agency. I like the idea of starting with going after Lowry for that reason and pursuing Asik in a Gasol sign and trade. Asik expires at the end of next season and I can see Lowry absolutely exploding under MDA. That will give the Lakers a nice foundation for next season, especially if they draft one of Volneh or Randle on draft day. To me, that team could potentially resemble the successful Suns teams under MDA.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
KingLakers
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#32 » by KingLakers » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Seeing how Bad Gasol and Howard played with each other last season why would Houston want Gasol.
GO LAKERS
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#33 » by One Love » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:31 pm

I like the idea of grabbing Boozer on a one year rental & picking up Ariza... Both players have something to prove... Houston doesn't want Gasol so Asik play is done... Draft Exum and get some players that defense and let's go to work...

PG: Exum & Marshal
SG: Kobe & Meeks
SF: Ariza & Thabo
PF: Boozer & Kelly
C: Hill & Sacre
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,110

Post#34 » by Dr Aki » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:54 am

its the off season, we have capspace, we renounce gasol so we can take on lin/asik for picks and they can go after melo
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,093

Post#35 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:01 am

lakersin4 wrote:Great defensive rebounder, horrible at every other aspect of defense.. Often leaves his man to go after the rebound.. Can't protect the rim at all.. You either need a great rim protector next to Love or a team with really good perimeter defenders & a coach with great defensive schemes..

Use love for the Defensive rebounding

And then Hill for the Offensive rebounding = good combinations right their :)
I'M OFFICALLY ON HOLIDAYS! I JUST LOVE IT HOW PEOPLE GET BUTT HURT OVER SOMEONES OWN SIGNATURE LMAO!.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL I'LL BE BACK! AND BACK WITH MORE BUTT HURT SIGNATURS LMAO
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by AdonisDeMarion » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:05 pm

dockingsched wrote:lionel hollins is the LAST coach i would want leading the lakers. its already a tough pill to swallow that the lakers front office appears to be at the back of the advanced metrics / advanced scouting train, hiring a coach that is open about his disdain for advanced metrics would be such a disappointment. lionel hollins is a fossil that a cutting edge front office like memphis' quickly cut ties with, he's not the answer to any team going forward.

also, i think its a little late for "build around" and "kobe" at this point in his career.

I like Hollins he know how to use big men the right way, He's defensive guy above all and has done wonders with Gasol, Randolph and Conley Jr. He views the post play as a good play unlike MDA. He also improved the Grizzlies every season even getting them to the WCF only to lose to the Spurs.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#37 » by Wonderllama » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:57 am

I think you meant to say Kobe/Wiggins when we win the lottery
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by AdonisDeMarion » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:42 am

Wonderllama wrote:I think you meant to say Kobe/Wiggins when we win the lottery

I like this combo better, Bryant with a young wing play should be nice to watch.

SF:Wiggins or Parker/Young
PF:Hill/Johnson/Kelly
C:Gasol/Kaman
SG:Bryant/Bazemore/Henry
PG:Farmar/Marshall

Return to Los Angeles Lakers