Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Re: Mitch Kupchak extends contract as Lakers GM 

Post#41 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:14 pm

LApwnd wrote:
well while I give Mitch credit, I do think he's somewhat of a puppet GM and yes man now a days. Everytime bad stuff happens he's the one to take all the grunt of media by having to face them and answer questions while our mighty VP or whatever Jim title is, is nowhere to be heard from or seen.

What is different from that aspect from Dr Buss? He didn't do media often. Mitch has always been the one to talk to the media, that's his job.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#42 » by LApwnd » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Phil XI wrote:
LApwnd wrote:
well while I give Mitch credit, I do think he's somewhat of a puppet GM and yes man now a days. Everytime bad stuff happens he's the one to take all the grunt of media by having to face them and answer questions while our mighty VP or whatever Jim title is, is nowhere to be heard from or seen.

What is different from that aspect from Dr Buss? He didn't do media often. Mitch has always been the one to talk to the media, that's his job.

Dr. Buss was there front and center addressing the medai with interviews when Shaq fiasco/trade happened, He was there front and center for the Kobe trade tirade even reaching out to Kobe when he was in italy while Jim sat iddle by. Where was Jim after Howard bolted? Where is Jim after Brown got fired? Where is Jim now to defend decision on Antoni hiring? Jeannie and Mitch have been the face to do so.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:18 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Dr. Buss was there front and center addressing the medai with interviews when Shaq fiasco/trade happened, He was there front and center for the Kobe trade tirade even reaching out to Kobe when he was in italy while Jim sat iddle by. Where was Jim after Howard bolted? Where is Jim after Brown got fired? Where is Jim now to defend decision on Antoni hiring? Jeannie and Mitch have been the face to do so.

You are comparing the Shaq/Kobe drama to Dwight leaving? I am not even sure those are remotely comparable.

Jim Buss doesn't need to give me a hug every time things don't go well.

Mitch is more than enough for me. I am not sure what it is you are looking for? Most owners don't speak to the media about day to day operations, save a guy like Mark Cuban who has learned to back off in that regard too.

As for Dr Buss. He was someone who deliberately stayed behind the scenes. He never wanted credit in that regard nor did he seek praise. He addressed the media once a year and let the people he employed to do the work they were hired to do.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#44 » by LApwnd » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Phil XI wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

You are comparing the Shaq/Kobe drama to Dwight leaving? I am not even sure those are remotely comparable.

Jim Buss doesn't need to give me a hug every time things don't go well.

Mitch is more than enough for me. I am not sure what it is you are looking for? Most owners don't speak to the media about day to day operations, save a guy like Mark Cuban who has learned to back off in that regard too.

As for Dr Buss. He was someone who deliberately stayed behind the scenes. He never wanted credit in that regard nor did he seek praise. He addressed the media once a year and let the people he employed to do the work they were hired to do.

so in essence you're confident Jim can follow Dr. Buss footsteps?
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:17 pm

LApwnd wrote:
so in essence you're confident Jim can follow Dr. Buss footsteps?

Not at all. But that is not a knock on Jim. Dr Buss is comparable to no one.

My point is I don't need to be pacified by Jim and need to him to tell me everything is going to be ok. With keeping Mitch on board and having Mitch speak to Laker fans is enough for me.

I trust Mitch and believe him and Jim work well together. As a net result of that, I trust Dr Buss that he put the right people in charge.

Time will tell if he was right, but given how bad things have gone this year I am glad they are keeping Mitch around.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#46 » by myersia » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 pm

This is going to get me a lot of backlash.............................I wish Cuban would buy the lakers. As much of a moron that he has been in years past he has been the premier owner for the last 15 years. Have to give credit to him he took the Dallas Mavericks which were the equivalent of the Charlotte Bobcats (outside of the late 80's push) back in the day lol and made them relevant. Can we trade the Buss family (will miss staring at the Jeanie) and our entire roster minus Kobe for Marc Cuban and Ric Carlisle :lol: Keep Mitch though!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#47 » by Kilroy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 pm

You know how they say when a bell rings, an Angel gets his/her wings?...

^This post rips the wings off 100 Angels, makes them dig a trench, lines them up in front of it, and shoots them...

"Mark Cuban has been the premier owner for the last 15 years." There's just no arguing with that...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Post#48 » by AI » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:03 pm

myersia wrote:This is going to get me a lot of backlash.............................I wish Cuban would buy the lakers. As much of a moron that he has been in years past he has been the premier owner for the last 15 years. Have to give credit to him he took the Dallas Mavericks which were the equivalent of the Charlotte Bobcats (outside of the late 80's push) back in the day lol and made them relevant. Can we trade the Buss family (will miss staring at the Jeanie) and our entire roster minus Kobe for Marc Cuban and Ric Carlisle :lol: Keep Mitch though!

Mark Cuban seems to be a really cool guy, but I never want the Lakers to be owned by anyone other than the Buss family, regardless of Jimmy Buss' incompetence.

The moment the Lakers are sold by the Buss family is the moment this franchise's true downfall occurs. I can't even imagine how greedy the new potential owners would be, considering how much revenue this franchise accrues.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#49 » by MAMBAEMD » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:28 am

myersia wrote:This is going to get me a lot of backlash.............................I wish Cuban would buy the lakers. As much of a moron that he has been in years past he has been the premier owner for the last 15 years. Have to give credit to him he took the Dallas Mavericks which were the equivalent of the Charlotte Bobcats (outside of the late 80's push) back in the day lol and made them relevant. Can we trade the Buss family (will miss staring at the Jeanie) and our entire roster minus Kobe for Marc Cuban and Ric Carlisle :lol: Keep Mitch though!

Nothing personal my friend but I couldn't disagree more.
I would never want anyone other than the Buss family to own the Lakers. I hope one day one of the true greats in Laker history, like Kobe, to also be part of the ownership group.
One of the most admirable things about the Lakers has been that it is a family owned operation, and has been immensly popular in the world and successful in the NBA, while being owned and managed by Dr. Buss and his kids.
The thought of Cuban owning the Lakers makes me nauseated. I also think that he is over-rated as an owner.
As an example, he let Tyson Chandler go after their championship year because he didn't want to pay him the kind of money the Knicks were offering.
Despite what is said about Jim Buss, I still think the Lakers are in very good hands. The have an outstanding GM and owners that are willing to spend money to win.
Let's go Lakers!!!
Do it Mitch and Jim!!!
Formerly lakerRD
myersia
Analyst

Post#50 » by myersia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:58 am

Kilroy wrote:You know how they say when a bell rings, an Angel gets his/her wings?...

^This post rips the wings off 100 Angels, makes them dig a trench, lines them up in front of it, and shoots them...

"Mark Cuban has been the premier owner for the last 15 years." There's just no arguing with that...

:lol: :lol: I was waiting for a post like this. Hey admit he is kind of a beast though.
myersia
Analyst

Post#51 » by myersia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:00 am

lakerRD wrote:

I would never want anyone other than the Buss family to own the Lakers. I hope one day one of the true greats in Laker history, like Kobe, to also be part of the ownership group.
One of the most admirable things about the Lakers has been that it is a family owned operation, and has been immensly popular in the world and successful in the NBA, while being owned and managed by Dr. Buss and his kids.
The thought of Cuban owning the Lakers makes me nauseated. I also think that he is over-rated as an owner.
As an example, he let Tyson Chandler go after their championship year because he didn't want to pay him the kind of money the Knicks were offering.
Despite what is said about Jim Buss, I still think the Lakers are in very good hands. The have an outstanding GM and owners that are willing to spend money to win.
Let's go Lakers!!!
Do it Mitch and Jim!!!

Guys I wasn't serious :lol: . However, Cuban is a beast. Admit it. Wish Jimmy was more like Marc is all....waits for the thousands of responses Jimmy got x players Marc got y :lol: . Relax fellas.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by MAMBAEMD » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:30 am

myersia wrote:
lakerRD wrote:

Let's go Lakers!!!
Do it Mitch and Jim!!!

Guys I wasn't serious :lol: . However, Cuban is a beast. Admit it. Wish Jimmy was more like Marc is all....waits for the thousands of responses Jimmy got x players Marc got y :lol: . Relax fellas.

Okay. Sorry
Formerly lakerRD
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by LLcoleJ » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:50 am

myersia wrote:

I know you were joking. Kind of... hehe

But I will say this. I am not a big fan of Cuban overall. I respect his business sense and his enthusiasm and he certainly turned the Mavs around by purchasing them.
But he did this all with Donnie Nelson Jr. doing alot of the ' work". Cuban early on gave out crazy insane contracts to players that were just awful. ( Evan Eshemsier, Tariq Abdoul Whaid, Raef Lefrentz.. etc) all the while letting Nash walk pre MVP prime.
He threw money around and hoping it sticked. That is not the best approach. He did learn over the years and has been smarter about where he spends because he came back down to reality. The championship team was as result of just putting pieces together in the short term and they have really suffered in the FA market since then. Dirk and Rick are keeping them relevant but the franchise is is far from impressive if not boring. They don't seem to have a big future and Cubes seems more interested in the Shark Tank these days.

meh.... do not want.

/cubanrant
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#54 » by Kilroy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:50 am

lakerRD wrote:Okay. Sorry

Don't apologize to him!

Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by MAMBAEMD » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:31 am

Kilroy wrote:
lakerRD wrote:Okay. Sorry

Don't apologize to him!

:rofl:
Formerly lakerRD
myersia
Analyst

Post#56 » by myersia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Phil XI wrote:
myersia wrote:

I know you were joking. Kind of... hehe

But I will say this. I am not a big fan of Cuban overall. I respect his business sense and his enthusiasm and he certainly turned the Mavs around by purchasing them.
But he did this all with Donnie Nelson Jr. doing alot of the ' work". Cuban early on gave out crazy insane contracts to players that were just awful. ( Evan Eshemsier, Tariq Abdoul Whaid, Raef Lefrentz.. etc) all the while letting Nash walk pre MVP prime.
He threw money around and hoping it sticked. That is not the best approach. He did learn over the years and has been smarter about where he spends because he came back down to reality. The championship team was as result of just putting pieces together in the short term and they have really suffered in the FA market since then. Dirk and Rick are keeping them relevant but the franchise is is far from impressive if not boring. They don't seem to have a big future and Cubes seems more interested in the Shark Tank these days.

meh.... do not want.

/cubanrant

Great post. I forgot about these bad contracts! I take back my statement entirely minus wishing we had Rick as our coach. Donnie Nelson Jr. was a beast. I just remember the flux of talent they signed in a row during their early run in the early to mid 2000's. Donnie Nelson Jr. and probably his father to an extent likely deserve more credit than Marc as you stated. I stand corrected.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers