ImageImageImageImageImage

POLL: Should the Lakers fire Mike D'antoni?

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Should the Lakers fire Mike D'antoni?

Poll ended at Sun May 11, 2014 6:04 am

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 62

LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: POLL: Should the Lakers fire Mike D'antoni? 

Post#41 » by LApwnd » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:53 pm

Jim better not pull another Mike Brown type hiring.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Post#42 » by ROballer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:02 pm

I handled 2 WTF's ,can't sure I can handle a 3rd
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#43 » by TonyMontana » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Doormatt wrote:i dont vote in polls so i hope youre not referring to me. decisions like this arent black and white, yes or no.

plus internet polls are just hella stupid.

If this was directed to me which Im assuming it is then let me be clear. I wasn't referring to you AT ALL. Trust me.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#44 » by Kilroy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:13 pm

It's not that black and white... They won't fire him, but he won't be the coach next season either...

They'll talk about it, and come to a mutual understanding... If it feels better to call it fired, OK... It's like life... Neither side is going to walk away 100% happy, but in the end, they'll both walk away, unless I'm completely misreading the situation.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#45 » by crazyeights » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:31 pm

H00PDREAMS wrote:Word was said on ESPN radio in LA around noon that Dantoni will be relieved of his duties sometime next week. It's believed that the Lakers won't hire until after the draft but will begin a coaching search ASAP.
I don't know but the scenario seems believable.

Just whose word was this? I know Max isn't on until rush hour, but a lot of ESPN 710's programming is just wild speculation.
GeorgeDillion
Senior
And1: 243

Post#46 » by GeorgeDillion » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:37 pm

It was on Mason and Ireland I believe around the same time Mason was making his "I want the Spurs to win so Duncan can retire" in order to sign Pop nonsense. I'm pretty sure that Ireland made the comment about a quick resolution.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by crazyeights » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:45 pm

GeorgeDillion wrote:It was on Mason and Ireland I believe around the same time Mason was making his "I want the Spurs to win so Duncan can retire" in order to sign Pop nonsense. I'm pretty sure that Ireland made the comment about a quick resolution.

Interesting...I feel like Ireland wouldn't make that sort of claim lightly. Good to know.
GeorgeDillion
Senior
And1: 243

Post#48 » by GeorgeDillion » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:35 pm

crazyeights wrote:
GeorgeDillion wrote:It was on Mason and Ireland I believe around the same time Mason was making his "I want the Spurs to win so Duncan can retire" in order to sign Pop nonsense. I'm pretty sure that Ireland made the comment about a quick resolution.

Interesting...I feel like Ireland wouldn't make that sort of claim lightly. Good to know.

I just listened to again it was during cross talk at the end of ESPNLA Now:

Willard: Phil Jackson comes out today and makes his cut quickly, he didn’t leave Mike Woodson twisting in the wind. You might suggest that the Lakers if they know what they’re doing with Mike D’Antoni might be doing that. Is it possible, and I don’t think it’s A to B like the Lakers are waiting on this but let’s say the Lakers make a change would they interested in Mark Jackson?

Ireland: I don’t know but to follow up on your first point, that the Knicks did it quickly I think but I don’t know anything I haven’t been told anything but I think there’s going to be resolution on the Lakers coaching situation by the end of this week.

Thompson: End of this week, really? I think he will be back.

Ireland: I do not

Mason: I don’t think that he will be back, but I don’t think it will be the end of this week.

Ireland: But here’s the other thing, I think the Lakers are going to go thru a process were they offer this to the biggest names that you can possibly think of. I think the majority of them will turn it down but they are going to shoot for the moon.

Ireland: When I say resolution to the coaching situation, were going to have an answer on D’Antoni by the end of this week. But we won’t know who the new coach is yet.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by crazyeights » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:37 pm

Well that's potentially very encouraging....

I wonder who "shooting for the moon" would entail....

To me the moon consists of PJ/Pop/Doc/Coach K, none of which will happen.
EldenMVP41
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#50 » by EldenMVP41 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Some people say they wouldnt want MDA fired if it leads to the Lakers hiring someone like Shaw, Rambis or Hollins.

Hell, I would be more interested in watching the Lakers play if they let Bertka or Bernie Bickerstaff coach the team for this coming season. Anything to get away from Antoni's lame "system"...
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#51 » by Danny Darko » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Actually I'd be way down with Bickerstaff on a short deal.

edit: assuming we whiff on a big name.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#52 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:28 am

Paying two coaches for a dead season next year would be pointless. I've said this before, but you have a better chance of attracting FAs in 2015 just after hiring a new coach than you would have after giving a new coach a whole season to be criticized in what we know is going to be another hard season.
H00PDREAMS
Veteran
And1: 112

Post#53 » by H00PDREAMS » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:12 am

Yep, thats was lunch time listening for me. :wink:

I read elsewhere, later that night on I believe Bleacher Report; something to the same effect. 'Lakers will be searching soon but will not have a coach till after the draft'. I will track that link down.

In the meantime seems like we aren't the only ones waiting on the Dantoni departure.
The search for Marshall’s new men’s basketball coach remained in a holding pattern over the Easter weekend while the Los Angeles Lakers put off their decision on coach Mike D’Antoni’s future until this week. All the while, Thundering Herd fans who branded D’Antoni a candidate before Tom Herrion had time to finish cleaning out his desk are in a tizzy, all with their theories on what athletic director Mike Hamrick’s next move should be.

Going this late without a coach being named has some fans freaking out. It apparently was even suggested that Marshall name an interim head coach for the 2014-15 season to give D’Antoni time to take over in 2015.
D’Antoni leaving the bright lights of Hollywood for the slower pace of Huntington in a matter of days seemed like a dream, at best, on March 15. But the fact there is still not a coach suggests to me that the Mullens native has indicated that he has sincere interest in the job if he is indeed fired by the Lakers this week (which has been rumored to be a mere formality).

Stay patient, Herd fans. Your wish may still come true.

http://www.register-herald.com/latestsp ... -injustice
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#54 » by myersia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:32 pm

If the Pacers fire Frank Vogel..... then he is certainly allowed to come to LA!

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/st ... aching-job
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#55 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:01 pm

Would be really dumb of the Pacers to fire him. The guy has outdone what he has for talent on that team imo.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#56 » by Danny Darko » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:13 pm

damn Mike refuting the Marshall job... c'mon man there are very few bigs in college, you will love it.
H00PDREAMS
Veteran
And1: 112

Post#57 » by H00PDREAMS » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:46 pm

Danny Darko wrote:damn Mike refuting the Marshall job... c'mon man there are very few bigs in college, you will love it.

I know, right?!

HAHAHA :lol:
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by crazyeights » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:54 pm

Dan D'Antoni took the Marshall job:

D'Antoni, the older brother of Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni, served on his brother's coaching staffs with the Lakers, New York Knicks and the Phoenix Suns.

Both D'Antonis played at Marshall, with Dan averaging a team-high 17.5 points as a junior during the 1968-69 season.

Dan D'Antoni, 66, will replace Tom Herrion, whose contract was bought out by Marshall on March 14 with two years remaining. Herrion had coached the Thundering Herd for the past four seasons.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10833379/dan-dantoni-coach-marshall-thundering-herd

Wonder what this all means....
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by crazyeights » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Paying two coaches for a dead season next year would be pointless. I've said this before, but you have a better chance of attracting FAs in 2015 just after hiring a new coach than you would have after giving a new coach a whole season to be criticized in what we know is going to be another hard season.

That's my thinking as well...but if we do fire MDA and we are somewhat competitive, look at a team like the Suns. They didn't make the playoffs, but were markedly better than people assumed they would be, enough for Hornacek to finish 2nd in coach of the year...I'm sure they didn't hurt their recruiting abilities for FAs (and Bledsoe).

Regardless, it's a tough call, but with us having our worst season ever, I wouldn't be surprised if we are easily better if we have a coaching change/much fewer injuries.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#60 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 pm

It's hard to imagine the Lakers having a lame duck head coach for an entire season (more if you count the last half of this one), because they don't want to pay another coach. That would be a Donald Sterling move, adding further insult to injury. Maybe we can keep MDA as head coach, while simultaneously refusing to pay him?

Worst case scenario if they don't find a top shelf new HC- go out and sign an up-and-comer type, who they can sign for reasonably cheap. If the coach turns out to be real NBA HC material, then you can let him finish the turnaround. If not, cutting ties won't cost a lot and at least you took a shot.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers