ImageImageImageImageImage

What if Lakers are an 11th seed at trade deadline next year?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

What if Lakers are an 11th seed at trade deadline next year? 

Post#1 » by aaron_gray » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:33 am

Some people forget that you need 50 wins to make the playoffs in the west. They also forget that with Mike D'Antoni as coach, you can't get in top 5 range, partly b/c the east sucks, partly because there's going to be games where the Lakers are hot. So what to do?
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Re: What if Lakers are an 11th seed at trade deadline next y 

Post#2 » by Dr Aki » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:17 pm

it would mean we need to tank harder
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#3 » by Mirjalovic » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:56 pm

we were in 41-41 pace before Kobe reinjured himself.

next year i believe our shape will be better. I believe in Mitch and FO.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#4 » by myersia » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:16 pm

You can forget about the whole tanking thing next year. I don't want to hear that word at all next year. I am certain that Mitch and Co. will not allow the Lakers to miss the playoffs next year. I fully expect us to make the playoffs next year. Way too much to lose in regards to season ticket holders and celebrities. We will be in the playoffs next year somewhere between 6-8. Then we will make the big spash in free agency.
denimourson
Rookie
And1: 615

Post#5 » by denimourson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:15 pm

We have not need to tank or stumble into tanking without any draft picks or tradeable assets atm. We should just focus on getting the into the playoffs then get a big time free agent in 2016.

Brady to LBJ: Psst...hey, man you want these deflated basketballs?
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#6 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Sounds about right, no matter who is coaching.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#7 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:04 am

Mirjalovic wrote:we were in 41-41 pace before Kobe reinjured himself.

If not higher. I think people forget we were also what 10-9 and on the verge of going 3 games above .500 b4 Kobe came back and we started getting injuries

Next year If we keep basically same team/coach and add Draft pick and stay pretty healthy 5th-7th seed < see sig.
Bring back Defense
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#8 » by Agnostifarian » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:09 pm

Dr Aki wrote:it would mean we need to tank harder

I thought you guys would tank harder this year after Kobe got hurt. You must have wanted to kill Swaggy P for making a few of your wins happen!
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#9 » by Dr Aki » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:31 pm

myersia wrote:You can forget about the whole tanking thing next year. I don't want to hear that word at all next year. I am certain that Mitch and Co. will not allow the Lakers to miss the playoffs next year. I fully expect us to make the playoffs next year. Way too much to lose in regards to season ticket holders and celebrities. We will be in the playoffs next year somewhere between 6-8. Then we will make the big spash in free agency.

you say that, but 11th in the west at the trade deadline means we're already out of playoff contention.

such is the strength of the west that if we were 11th, there would be no benefit winning and we would be best served trying not to lose our (top 5 protected) pick to phoenix
Big_Cat
Banned User
And1: 123

Post#10 » by Big_Cat » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:44 pm

skullz wrote:

If not higher. I think people forget we were also what 10-9 and on the verge of going 3 games above .500 b4 Kobe came back and we started getting injuries

Next year If we keep basically same team/coach and add Draft pick and stay pretty healthy 5th-7th seed < see sig.

So you think a this current roster (but healthy), can win between 50-55 games? Because that's what it will take. Playing .500 ball is going to land you around 10th-11th in the west. Exactly what the OP is saying.
myersia
Analyst

Post#11 » by myersia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
myersia wrote:You can forget about the whole tanking thing next year. I don't want to hear that word at all next year. I am certain that Mitch and Co. will not allow the Lakers to miss the playoffs next year. I fully expect us to make the playoffs next year. Way too much to lose in regards to season ticket holders and celebrities. We will be in the playoffs next year somewhere between 6-8. Then we will make the big spash in free agency.

you say that, but 11th in the west at the trade deadline means we're already out of playoff contention.

such is the strength of the west that if we were 11th, there would be no benefit winning and we would be best served trying not to lose our (top 5 protected) pick to phoenix

We won't be lower than 8th seed next season. Trust Mitch! We will be a lot better next year and even better the following year. Forget about last season!
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#12 » by Dr Aki » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:30 pm

myersia wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:

We won't be lower than 8th seed next season. Trust Mitch! We will be a lot better next year and even better the following year. Forget about last season!

then u are avoiding the question, which was What if Lakers are an 11th seed at trade deadline next year?
myersia
Analyst

Post#13 » by myersia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
myersia wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:

then u are avoiding the question, which was What if Lakers are an 11th seed at trade deadline next year?

If we are the 11th seed again then go ahead and tank :lol: :lol: . However, I hope threads like these are distinct come tip-off. We need to get back to our winning attitudes.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#14 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:01 pm

skullz wrote:

ugh, if everyone had stayed healthy we would have still fallen off the cliff. It's like everyone forgot that during the first 20 games, the team was shooting a ridiculous percentage from 3 that would have never held throughout the season.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#15 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:09 am

haha we all have our opinions and that's mine :)

Wait till next year :) this year is done n dusted
Bring back Defense
JSuri4
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#16 » by JSuri4 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:47 am

Mark my words if lakers land parker exum or wiggins and keep hill, henry, marshall, young , wes, sign manny harris at minimum and greg monroe for bout 13 mil a year, and if really lucky gasol will resign for 6-8 mil and the lakers will finish 50-32 with 5 seed. Btw that if kobe stays injury free and scores 20
TARIQ
Veteran
And1: 225

Post#17 » by TARIQ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:46 am

JSuri4 wrote:Mark my words if lakers land parker exum or wiggins and keep hill, henry, marshall, young , wes, sign manny harris at minimum and greg monroe for bout 13 mil a year, and if really lucky gasol will resign for 6-8 mil and the lakers will finish 50-32 with 5 seed. Btw that if kobe stays injury free and scores 20

What?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Wonderllama wrote:George/Hibbert = the next Kobe/Shaq?

PG seems like he could be even better than Kobe... IMO.
Big_Cat
Banned User
And1: 123

Post#18 » by Big_Cat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:03 pm

JSuri4 wrote:Mark my words if lakers land parker exum or wiggins and keep hill, henry, marshall, young , wes, sign manny harris at minimum and greg monroe for bout 13 mil a year, and if really lucky gasol will resign for 6-8 mil and the lakers will finish 50-32 with 5 seed. Btw that if kobe stays injury free and scores 20

This year 50-32 gets you 7th seed.
JSuri4
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#19 » by JSuri4 » Sun May 4, 2014 10:16 pm

Big_Cat wrote:

This year 50-32 gets you 7th seed.

Regardless if kobe can be close to anything like 2011, they will be dangerous in playoffs
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#20 » by TylersLakers » Mon May 5, 2014 12:45 am

If we're in 10th or 11th place... Tank. Get a Top 5 pick. Our 2015 1st round pick that was sent to Phoenix is Top 5 protected. And there's a few good ones next year, especially at the C position with Okafor or Towns.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers