Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Re: Lakers Hire Byron Scott for 4 years, $17million 

Post#1561 » by myersia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:39 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
myersia wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:to be fair this is the only hire coaching wise I haven't been fine with, but then again i can excuse the organization for not having many options open for it, so whomever we're going to get wasn't likely going to be a great hire.

. He was always seen as the guy that stole Phil's job so from the start a large part of the fanbase was unhappy with him. Tbh i actually think he did too good of a job last year when we would have been best serve to tank since he's the type of coach that can make role players play much better than they are. Meeks, Young, Hill, Marshall all had career years. Henry probably would have as well if it wasn't for injuries.

And your giving Scott a fair shake? Even if we somehow make the playoffs you will likely be pissed. We get it. You hate Byron. But he's our coach. Give him a chance. End of story. Complaining about it is useless at this point.

Also I find it funny that you say that being disgruntled means how much you care about a team yet you have blasted Kobe in the past for being disgruntled as well as fans who disapproved of MDA.

Ok if he does well and manages a winning record (doesn't need to make the playoffs) this year i'll eat up my words and even make a thread saying I was wrong, fair?

deal :D
myersia
Analyst

Post#1562 » by myersia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:43 am

Doormatt wrote:
myersia wrote:And your giving Scott a fair shake? Even if we somehow make the playoffs you will likely be pissed. We get it. You hate Byron. But he's our coach. Give him a chance. End of story. Complaining about it is useless at this point.

Also I find it funny that you say that being disgruntled means how much you care about a team yet you have blasted Kobe in the past for being disgruntled as well as fans who disapproved of MDA.

lmao now youre the one making assumptions. the seem you thing to be missing is that all of us want to see the lakers be great again, just not all of us agree with how it should be done. like honestly its more annoying seeing people talk about people being negative when the reality is that they just dont agree with you.

and whats really annoying is that the same people that hated MDA are now happy about Scott, when the reality is they are the same coach pretty much. but like ive said before because Scott was a laker and is more likable, and fans want something to be happy about.

ultimately we all want to see the lakers win again, thats all that really matters.

....what assumptions am I making? We don't have to agree. That is fine. But being negative is being negative. I am fine with people disagreeing with me. Never said I was right. I just said give the man a chance as we are all Lakers fans. I'm not saying Scott will be any better than MDA or Brown. All I can do is hope that he will be. I like what he is saying but he has a lot to prove. I just personally want to be happy about something. That's just me. I'm trying to stay positive about the Lakers because as fans that's all we can do.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,621

Post#1563 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:09 am

Lakers are going to be mediocre cause they have mediocre talent. Same reason they were terrible last yr. scott will have very little to do with the teams win loss record.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#1564 » by Tee212 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:40 am

i can already see scott doing swaggyp impersonations in the locker room lol
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#1565 » by john248 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:14 am

I'm neither pro MDA or Scott.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
The Last Word
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,145

Post#1566 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:18 am

Can't they just start the NBA season already < it's too long await I'm so excited to see what happens.

Win or lose there should never be a break in the NBA they should just play all year round non stop :) haha.
Bring back Defense
myersia
Analyst

Post#1567 » by myersia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Interesting interview with Kevin Ollie. It appears that he is really interested in coaching the lakers in the future.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=112826 ... id=2378529
dub81
Sixth Man
And1: 182

Post#1568 » by dub81 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Honestly i would of went after Kevin Ollie rather than Byron Scott. I just don't like recycled coaches and Scott hasn't been succesful recently.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#1569 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:00 pm

Ollie needed to ensure his first big money contract. Could have rubbed UConn the wrong way if he had actively tried to get the Lakers job and failed to do so.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,825

Post#1570 » by Beethoven » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:17 pm

dockingsched wrote:
briansaddleback wrote:That's fine we got Byron Scott.

But why does the management always put themselves into a potential hole/predicament by offering a multi-year deal like 4 years ??

This was the case w Brown and Dantoni. Cant we just give him a one season contract? That way we can let him go if he doesnt do well and also this will motivate the coach to try his best?

doesnt make sense.

Why would you intentional make it harder for your coach to succeed by making him a lame duck? All you're gaining from it is money it your pocket. From a fans point of view makes no sense to gripe about a coach's long contract. Also it's only 3 guaranteed yrs.

Lame duck means he won't be receiving a new contract and is playing out the season.

Im saying the first year will be a one year sort of probation type of contract. Kind of like at the job, you're on probation the first 6 months or so., doesnt mean youre a lame duck. Just means you got to prove yourself.

After the mistakes we made giving multiple year contracts to brown and Dantoni, better to give a one year contract, and see if we can offer him another one or extension once the coach proves himself.

You see this with contract year players. They usually play their best that year.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Yunsta
Ballboy
And1: 29

Post#1571 » by Yunsta » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:29 am

^^^
I don't think a player on a contract year is comparable to a lame duck coach, too many variables it's not that cut and dry
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#1572 » by Speedlot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:55 am

Lakers' front office really don't care about throwing out money to the coaches. It doesn't count against their cap.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#1573 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:57 am

briansaddleback wrote:
Lame duck means he won't be receiving a new contract and is playing out the season.

Im saying the first year will be a one year sort of probation type of contract. Kind of like at the job, you're on probation the first 6 months or so., doesnt mean youre a lame duck. Just means you got to prove yourself.

After the mistakes we made giving multiple year contracts to brown and Dantoni, better to give a one year contract, and see if we can offer him another one or extension once the coach proves himself.

You see this with contract year players. They usually play their best that year.
You could never hire a coach with him knowing he has only one year.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,269

Post#1574 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:11 am

myersia wrote:Interesting interview with Kevin Ollie. It appears that he is really interested in coaching the lakers in the future.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=112826 ... id=2378529

in 2 years time, we getting ollie just to lure durant

book it
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,269

Post#1575 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:05 am

a replay of byron's presser

http://www.nba.com/lakers/live_stream

byron's presser

nothing happens until 1:12:00 (that's hours and minutes)

so just fast forward through it all
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#1576 » by Sofa King » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:03 am

Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#1577 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:55 am

pretty good opening pitch
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#1578 » by Kilroy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:24 pm

He went full-mound too... I think it was over the plate an no bounce... Not too shabby.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#1579 » by crazyeights » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:02 pm

I always find it funny how rare it is for a grown man to have a normal throwing form...so many actors and non-MLB athletes push and fling the ball. I came to resent baseball because of how crazy intense the culture was in OC, but when I have a kid, I'm teaching them how to play catch...no robo-arming it.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,808

Post#1580 » by TyCobb » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Well the thing about that is... that the overhand throw isn't a normal throwing motion. Unless you've been throwing since you were 5 years old, chances are you won't have that 'loose' overhand throw motion. It only gets tougher when you add grown man muscle.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers