ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Hire Byron Scott for 4 years, $17million

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Re: Lakers Hire Byron Scott for 4 years, $17million 

Post#1521 » by kblo247 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:29 pm

Best thing Scott said today unlike his past stops is "i need to improve as a coach too"

Will give his ass more rope now than I originally was as he admitted that
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#1522 » by myersia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:32 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
myersia wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/494188018148708352[/tweet]

Amen! :D

Scott didn't exactly inherit Dwight Howard and Steve Nash (pre injury) did he now? dumb twitter point is dumb.

The day you are happy..........with anything :lol:. Your new name should be Melodramatic Michael. Enjoy the lakers..if that is your team.....unfortunately one day we all will lose that privilege. Smile bud.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,318

Post#1523 » by Ckay » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:46 pm

how come some of you Laker fans don't have that Laker logo?

PUT THAT BAD BOY ON!
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#1524 » by myersia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 pm

Ckay wrote:how come some of you Laker fans don't have that Laker logo?

PUT THAT BAD BOY ON!

At your request. Look better now?
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,318

Post#1525 » by Ckay » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:59 pm

myersia wrote:
At your request. Look better now?

way better!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#1526 » by Kilroy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:02 pm

kblo247 wrote:Best thing Scott said today unlike his past stops is "i need to improve as a coach too"

Will give his ass more rope now than I originally was as he admitted that

Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TrippyNate
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#1527 » by TrippyNate » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters on here are really lakers fans lol some of Michaels Lucky posts makes me think otherwise. I mean we got a damn good coach who has something to prove and has a true understanding of that Laker pride. We coulda got Karl instead so just let that sink in for a second.
Live.Love.Lakers.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Post#1528 » by dockingsched » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:53 pm

The more he talks the more he annoys me.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
kblo247
RealGM

Post#1529 » by kblo247 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 pm

TrippyNate wrote:Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters on here are really lakers fans lol some of Michaels Lucky posts makes me think otherwise. I mean we got a damn good coach who has something to prove and has a true understanding of that Laker pride. We coulda got Karl instead so just let that sink in for a second.

Karl has many faults, I wouldn't call him worse, certainly not rs worse, it just that he can't play chess in the playoffs. He does dumb **** like not putting GP on MJ or putting Kenyon on Kobe then for some reason.

The only old timers I wanted to go after were JVG and Sloan tbh anyhow.

Least Scott knows what it is to be a laker but it's easy to see why he wouldn't be called damn good by many. Him admitting he needs to improve as a coach was huge because he was too stubborn to admit his faults on nj, Nola, and in Cleveland especially during those 26 games. He at learnt said I have room to get better too over just putting it on the players which is hard for him since he's not known as a people guy in past stops
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#1530 » by ALL HAIL » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Did Scott play with Wilkes?
notinbtnet
Junior
And1: 14

Post#1531 » by notinbtnet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:17 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:Did Scott play with Wilkes?

Magic, Kareem, Byron, Silk and Mitch were all teammates on the 1985 Championship winning team. Along with Coop and Big Game who's names were also dropped during the press conference.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,135

Post#1532 » by Edrees » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Not sure why anyone cares about the money either. it doesnt count against the cap. I wouldnt care if the deal was for 20 yrs at 3 billion, its not my money!
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#1533 » by crazyeights » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:35 pm

I think it's huge that we finally have Magic praising the organization, Kareem saying things like the Lakers "take care of their own," etc. The past few years, it's felt like the greats were turning their back on the franchise, that they felt disrespected.

I'm happy to see that they'll be around more, because we're gonna need to stop the in-fighting before we turn around our image. Let's face it, Jimmy and Mitch were being killed from all sides, and it starts at the top.

Now that we have a solidified front, we'll see less casual Laker dumping by the media, we can build up that mystique again. If Scott can get these players to believe in their one mission, and we stay healthy, I believe we can start that long climb back to the top.

He's got to get results, though. He and Kobe are going to work these kids hard, and if things don't go well, they might wear them to the bone, so we need patience, but I think it's good to be getting back to something tried and true. If nothing else than to settle the base, and get some confidence back in the Laker fundamentals.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,830

Post#1534 » by Beethoven » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:44 pm

That's fine we got Byron Scott.

But why does the management always put themselves into a potential hole/predicament by offering a multi-year deal like 4 years ??

This was the case w Brown and Dantoni. Cant we just give him a one season contract? That way we can let him go if he doesnt do well and also this will motivate the coach to try his best?

doesnt make sense.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#1535 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:45 pm

TrippyNate wrote:Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters on here are really lakers fans lol some of Michaels Lucky posts makes me think otherwise. I mean we got a damn good coach who has something to prove and has a true understanding of that Laker pride. We coulda got Karl instead so just let that sink in for a second.

Wasn't aware that being a Laker fan means blindly feeling happy over a coaching hire that has connections to the franchise. That's literally the worst reason to hire a coach since it has zero bearing on their ability to actually coach a team. Especially not after that specific coach had a run where he had a single win in a 37 game period with his former team breaking all kinds of records for losing at the NBA level. Also that team was one OT away from losing 37 straight a record that would have likely stood forever. Instead when people try to point to Scott being a good coach they try to show his finals runs when the first seed in the East only had to manage a 50-32 record to get the first seed. Something that would have gotten you the 8th seed in the west last year if they had played in the west and attained that record in it, which wouldn't have been a case for those Nets teams. Instead Scott's coaching has gotten progressively worse basically overseeing teams that are some of the worst defensive teams in the leagues despite preaching that side of the ball. Yet i'm suppose to be all lovey and dovey with the hire because he's a former Laker that won championships with them as a player? :lol: Shoot then, let's just hire Shaq, Kobe (as a player coach), Horry, Fox, Cooper, Thompson, Madsen, Rambis if that's all it takes. lol

Also the fact management took so long to hire him and re interviewed him an unusual amount of times should be a serious red flag as to them not being secure whatsoever with the hire and feeling cornered into making it because no other good alternatives were available to them. Which again isn't a surprise since no good coach is going to get a job with a bad roster in a year where that team doesn't even own their lottery pick.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#1536 » by kblo247 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:56 pm

TrippyNate wrote:you guys think this Lakers team has more talent than those nets/hornets teams he's coached?

Nets? **** no.
Hornets? A wash
Cleveland? Undoubtedly

People really don't get what he had in NJ with prime Kidd, healthy Martin, Kittles who in this age would be a top 5 SG probably, RJ, Van Hirn, Mutumbo, and the like.

With. Kobe back, and if he's close to what he was in Phil's last season or under Brown, sure I can see them being better than NOLA
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#1537 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:01 am

kblo247 wrote:
TrippyNate wrote:you guys think this Lakers team has more talent than those nets/hornets teams he's coached?

Nets? **** no.
Hornets? A wash
Cleveland? Undoubtedly

People really don't get what he had in NJ with prime Kidd, healthy Martin, Kittles who in this age would be a top 5 SG probably, RJ, Van Hirn, Mutumbo, and the like.

With. Kobe back, and if he's close to what he was in Phil's last season or under Brown, sure I can see them being better than NOLA

prime CP3 (best version of CP3) and best version of David West is far better than anything this team has right now put together.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Post#1538 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:04 am

briansaddleback wrote:That's fine we got Byron Scott.

But why does the management always put themselves into a potential hole/predicament by offering a multi-year deal like 4 years ??

This was the case w Brown and Dantoni. Cant we just give him a one season contract? That way we can let him go if he doesnt do well and also this will motivate the coach to try his best?

doesnt make sense.

Why would you intentional make it harder for your coach to succeed by making him a lame duck? All you're gaining from it is money it your pocket. From a fans point of view makes no sense to gripe about a coach's long contract. Also it's only 3 guaranteed yrs.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
kblo247
RealGM

Post#1539 » by kblo247 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:13 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
kblo247 wrote:

Nets? **** no.
Hornets? A wash
Cleveland? Undoubtedly

prime CP3 (best version of CP3) and best version of David West is far better than anything this team has right now put together.

That team peaked as a second round exit who lost with hca, they floored at losing by 50 in the playoffs. Paul was a great RS player, but he ain't about that playoff life even at his peak. The lakers can probably shoot for the second round themselves and that's where Paul's Hornets climaxed.
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#1540 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:18 am

we're a second round team? lol

Return to Los Angeles Lakers