ImageImageImageImageImage

Ramona Shelburne: Don't Sell Lakers Short

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Ramona Shelburne: Don't Sell Lakers Short 

Post#1 » by leeprettyp » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:45 pm

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11123592/los-angeles-lakers-know-how-sell-free-agent-revival?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F27nF57VhlT%22%7D

Let's say you package the No. 7 pick with Nash, who is owed $9.7 million in the final year of his contract, in a trade for: a good young player like Klay Thompson, who is eligible for a lucrative extension on a team that isn't sure it wants to pay him yet. Let's say you hold on to Nash until closer to the trade deadline when everyone else is clearing out salary to position for what could be an epic free agent summer of 2015.

It's not a catbird seat like Miami will be in for as long as LeBron James is there, and it's not as strong of a foundation as teams that already have two young stars like Houston, Portland or Chicago are working with. But it's a something. And things could really get interesting if the Lakers can find a way to package Nash with the No. 7 pick in a deal -- likely after July 1 -- that doesn't return any salary (say for a future draft pick or a veteran on a non-guaranteed deal) so they clear between $11 and $12 million in salary for this free-agent summer, giving them over $30 million in cap space to work with

That's enough so that if two of this year's superstar free agents -- LeBron, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, etc. -- each took a little less ($15-16 million each) and wanted to play together and alongside Kobe Bryant, they could form a pretty hellacious threesome. It's also plenty of money with which to woo one superstar on a max deal and player in the $10-12 million range, like Luol Deng, or re-sign Pau Gasol.

That's a heck of a lot of ifs, of course. One of the biggest being whether younger generation stars want to play alongside Bryant during his golden years after the experiment with Dwight Howard failed.

It's also part of the image the Lakers have been projecting since giving Bryant that thank-you-for-your-service, parting gift of a two-year, $48.5-million contract last fall.

They were built by superstars and they know how to treat them. That's the mission statement. This is Hollywood, come get the star treatment.

Regardless of what path Mitch and Jim decide to go. The slow rebuild route, the make a big splash with a free agent signing or even the trading the draft pick for a seasoned vet if it becomes available. No matter what they choose we just have to understand they have the singular goal of getting us back on top. I thought this was a pretty solid article as usual from Ramona. She always has the thought process of the Lakers Front office in her write ups.

Thoughts?
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: Ramona Shelburne: Don't Sell Lakers Short 

Post#2 » by LApwnd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:50 pm

I dont the know the saying about dont go chasing your tail, but I want to use something like that in regards to offering nash/7th to dump salary or for future pick. I'm only doing that IF I know for certain the 2 guys have agreed in ADVANCE to sign here if we get it done. Otherwise if we dont get either of those max guys we would've send away an expiring contract and 7th pick for nothing, it would take us YEARS to recover from this type of blunder. We dont have 2015 pick unless we're truly terrible or extremely lucky like Clev and we're gong waste that money on players just to waste money so mgmt. doesn't look stupid IMO.
stunnar0b
Starter
And1: 121

Post#3 » by stunnar0b » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:22 pm

don't kno why you would package the pick with Nash to create space for 2015 when Nash comes off the books in 2015. As usual Ramona doesn't know what she's talking about and is merely spewing out speculation.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#4 » by Slava » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:23 pm

There is no rush to play the free agency game this season by trading away Nash using the 7th pick as a bait. We can wait out a year, develop our rookie, see where Kobe is at and make a much stronger pitch next season with all these in mind.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,661

Post#5 » by dockingsched » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:37 pm

I'd be shocked to see the pick used to dump Nash even if the team has players lined up to sign. Nash can be stretched so in essence you'd be using the pick to clear 3 mil in cap.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#6 » by LApwnd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:50 pm

dockingsched wrote:I'd be shocked to see the pick used to dump Nash even if the team has players lined up to sign. Nash can be stretched so in essence you'd be using the pick to clear 3 mil in cap.

but what if the 3mill matters in grand scheme for this year and why stretch, we'd be wasting 3mill a year for 2 more years for nothing.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by dockingsched » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:04 pm

LApwnd wrote:
dockingsched wrote:I'd be shocked to see the pick used to dump Nash even if the team has players lined up to sign. Nash can be stretched so in essence you'd be using the pick to clear 3 mil in cap.

but what if the 3mill matters in grand scheme for this year and why stretch, we'd be wasting 3mill a year for 2 more years for nothing.

If the lakers end up needing to get rid of nash cause they're going to use all their cap, it really doesn't matter if Nash's stretched deal goes on for two yrs after this summer, they'll be over the cap going forward anyway with the annual raises players get.

Also, assuming the lakers are getting superstars which is the only reason they should want to clear Nash, id be very concerned and disappointed if the incoming free agents demanded an extra mil at the expense of playing alongside a young talented player that the pick would be. Id expect them to realize that once the cap is used up and if the lakers are forced to use the pick to dump Nash for that extra 3 mil....that's it, no more ability to noticeably improve the roster.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#8 » by LApwnd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:14 pm

dockingsched wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

If the lakers end up needing to get rid of nash cause they're going to use all their cap, it really doesn't matter if Nash's stretched deal goes on for two yrs after this summer, they'll be over the cap going forward anyway with the annual raises players get.

Also, assuming the lakers are getting superstars which is the only reason they should want to clear Nash, id be very concerned and disappointed if the incoming free agents demanded an extra mil at the expense of playing alongside a young talented player that the pick would be. Id expect them to realize that once the cap is used up and if the lakers are forced to use the pick to dump Nash for that extra 3 mil....that's it, no more ability to noticeably improve the roster.

Dock, we're talking bout Athletes here, they get paid to play a game they otherwise play for free. They would nickle and dime us as need be and it wouldn't be just the 3mill the pick also would reduce their share by another 2.5 mill I think for that spot. As shown by Mia, players who are on their last run will and have shown ability to take cheap contracts for the ride along, those guys should be the one taking the paycut not the stars. However if we can get future pick with nash/7th or lowered picks to reduce salary, I dont see an issue there.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by dockingsched » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Yeah, all valid points but never the less id be disappointed.
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#10 » by lakersin4 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:45 pm

dockingsched wrote:Yeah, all valid points but never the less id be disappointed.

You'd be disappointed if we used the 7 to dump Nash & got Melo & Bron to take 16M each to come here?

That's 5.4M less for those 2 to split in their first year if we used the amnesty on Nash & kept the pick

edit: didn't see LAPWND already made my point.. oops.
NOpinion
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#11 » by NOpinion » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Ramona Shelburne probably irritates me more than all Lakers 'beat writers' because how much she insults the general Lakers fan to believe that basically giving the draft pick for more cap space is a good thing and moreover something that could have been completely avoided if the Lakers ran their team like how the despised Spurs do.

She is also on record for lauding the horrendous Kobe extension, which in hindsight may have been the worse move the Lakers could have done in free agency---since that extra cap space she is suggesting the Lakers get could have been easily had if the Lakers would have polled these free agents in question prior to giving Kobe the cap crippling deal.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10037429/los-angeles-lakers-crazy-giving-kobe-bryant-two-year-extension-just-faced-reality

It's funny how in the same article she dismisses the idea of Lebron and Carmelo willing to play with each other when recent rumors would suggest that it's not that far of a fantasy for those guys to join up somewhere.

It's ironic how she dismisses the likelihood that Lebron and Carmelo would play in LA together yet in this "Don't Sell the Lakers Short" article, she is optimistic that Free Agents would come to the Lakers because they "are the Lakers". Wouldn't that logic coupled with Max free agent dollars be more alluring rather than having to split one and a half max free agent slots?

I'm at least pleased the Lakers will give Lebron (if they do go after him) input on what coach he would like if he were to come to LA....instead of pulling a Kobe-contract move and hire someone when they don't need to yet.

Although I'm trying to be as optimistic as the rest, it's tough not to envision a team next year with Kobe, an injured 9m Nash cap slot, someone they overpaid to "get help Kobe get to number 6" (when Kobe did nothing to help Kobe get to number 6), some vet minimum level players while being lead by the very mediocre Byron Scott. Maybe then, we can avoid getting Nick Young'd and get a Top 5 pick in 2015, therefore having a 1st rounder next year?!

Can someone from here elevate themselves to supplant Shelburne from her position at ESPN? Please.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#12 » by LApwnd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:21 pm

NOpinion wrote:Ramona Shelburne probably irritates me more than all Lakers 'beat writers' because how much she insults the general Lakers fan to believe that basically giving the draft pick for more cap space is a good thing and moreover something that could have been completely avoided if the Lakers ran their team like how the despised Spurs do.

She is also on record for lauding the horrendous Kobe extension, which in hindsight may have been the worse move the Lakers could have done in free agency---since that extra cap space she is suggesting the Lakers get could have been easily had if the Lakers would have polled these free agents in question prior to giving Kobe the cap crippling deal.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10037429/los-angeles-lakers-crazy-giving-kobe-bryant-two-year-extension-just-faced-reality

It's funny how in the same article she dismisses the idea of Lebron and Carmelo willing to play with each other when recent rumors would suggest that it's not that far of a fantasy for those guys to join up somewhere.

It's ironic how she dismisses the likelihood that Lebron and Carmelo would play in LA together yet in this "Don't Sell the Lakers Short" article, she is optimistic that Free Agents would come to the Lakers because they "are the Lakers". Wouldn't that logic coupled with Max free agent dollars be more alluring rather than having to split one and a half max free agent slots?

I'm at least pleased the Lakers will give Lebron (if they do go after him) input on what coach he would like if he were to come to LA....instead of pulling a Kobe-contract move and hire someone when they don't need to yet.

Although I'm trying to be as optimistic as the rest, it's tough not to envision a team next year with Kobe, an injured 9m Nash cap slot, someone they overpaid to "get help Kobe get to number 6" (when Kobe did nothing to help Kobe get to number 6), some vet minimum level players while being lead by the very mediocre Byron Scott. Maybe then, we can avoid getting Nick Young'd and get a Top 5 pick in 2015, therefore having a 1st rounder next year?!

Can someone from here elevate themselves to supplant Shelburne from her position at ESPN? Please.

GREAT 1st post and GREAT persepctive. I love how T&T forum are basing us fans for thinking we coudl target both James and Melo because our franchise is "a mess" but yet now they're suggesting they help themselves to our 7th pick for nothing so we can go after the 2 guys :lol: :banghead:
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#13 » by aaron_gray » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:03 am

Next year is going to be a rebuilding year. I think it's time to embrace this. Besides, Love 2016 >>>>>>>> Rupaul 2015.
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#14 » by The Prodigy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:16 am

LApwnd wrote:
NOpinion wrote:Ramona Shelburne probably irritates me more than all Lakers 'beat writers' because how much she insults the general Lakers fan to believe that basically giving the draft pick for more cap space is a good thing and moreover something that could have been completely avoided if the Lakers ran their team like how the despised Spurs do.

GREAT 1st post and GREAT persepctive. I love how T&T forum are basing us fans for thinking we coudl target both James and Melo because our franchise is "a mess" but yet now they're suggesting they help themselves to our 7th pick for nothing so we can go after the 2 guys :lol: :banghead:

Seriously! I have to second this. Great post. Stick around bro!
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#15 » by ArC_man » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:27 am

Byron Scott got interviewed for the 3rd time? Me thinks that's probably a done deal.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Post#16 » by TyCobb » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:17 am

Yup, she definitely sounds in tune with our Front Office.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#17 » by crazyeights » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:02 am

Yeah that wasn't Ramona's best work. Wasn't very cohesive or well-written, but I get the idea articles like this are what keep her close with Jimmy (I assume it's Jimmy she gets all this from).

I tend to take Ramona with a grain of salt, but when it's about the Lakers FO's thinking, I take it either to be pre-approved smokescreen or straight from the horse's mouth.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#18 » by Sofa King » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:30 am

I wondered what Ramona (insert crude comment here) to Jimmy to get him to share his thoughts
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#19 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:21 am

Slava wrote:There is no rush to play the free agency game this season by trading away Nash using the 7th pick as a bait. We can wait out a year, develop our rookie, see where Kobe is at and make a much stronger pitch next season with all these in mind.
Damn.....Slava I actually agree with this because I think this has been our plan all alone.

Man you gotta stop being so Jekyll and Hyde on me.....I agree with this but not that "Klay is mediocre" stuff.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#20 » by Slava » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:40 am

crazyeights wrote:Yeah that wasn't Ramona's best work. Wasn't very cohesive or well-written, but I get the idea articles like this are what keep her close with Jimmy (I assume it's Jimmy she gets all this from).

I tend to take Ramona with a grain of salt, but when it's about the Lakers FO's thinking, I take it either to be pre-approved smokescreen or straight from the horse's mouth.

Her work on Sterling has been legendary. Some of the best I've read from ESPN in a while. I think she's second only to Marc Stein in the ESPN hierarchy right now. Highly accurate insider.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers