ImageImageImageImageImage

Stephenson or Thomas

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Get17
Sophomore
And1: 22

Re: Stephenson or Thomas 

Post#81 » by Get17 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:29 am

If the Lakers stretch Nash right now, they'll still have 9mil to offer Lance. The Lakers need one last move to help this offseason. 4/42 is doable, with an opt out after Kobe expires to gain a bigger deal?

Lin/Marshall/Clarkson
Lance/(Kobe)/Xavier
Kobe/Young/Wes
Randle/Kelly
Hill/Sacre

still have the room exception to sign one more big... Okafor?
GOAT 5: Abdul-Jabbar, Chamberlain, Johnson, Jordan, Russell; Next 5: Bird, Bryant, Duncan, Oneal, Robertson; Third 5: Erving, James, Olajuwon, Pettit, West; Knocked-Out: Malone
TrippyNate
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#82 » by TrippyNate » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:34 am

I wish man but stretching Nash would hurt the cap space for 15 and 16 fa's
Live.Love.Lakers.
Get17
Sophomore

Post#83 » by Get17 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:36 am

3.2 mil. I'm not sweating it.
GOAT 5: Abdul-Jabbar, Chamberlain, Johnson, Jordan, Russell; Next 5: Bird, Bryant, Duncan, Oneal, Robertson; Third 5: Erving, James, Olajuwon, Pettit, West; Knocked-Out: Malone
TrippyNate
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#84 » by TrippyNate » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:48 am

Me either man but I guess FO wants every penny of cap space they can get
Live.Love.Lakers.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#85 » by john248 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:28 pm

I've been changing my tune about Lance. I wouldn't mind seeing him signed here. He's really a 1.5 way player since his offense isn't anything special, but I do like his defensive intensity at times. He's going to have to work on driving to the hoop better and learn how to draw fouls. Work on his shot a little and the recklessness will die down as he gets more on-court experience.

As for as his maturity, it's still a risk. If he signs that big contract, does he turn into a JR Smith type? He seems like the type to be better served on a team that is winning which the Lakers won't be in the immediate future.
The Last Word
Levity
Pro Prospect
And1: 103

Post#86 » by Levity » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:30 pm

If lakers want to commit to making lance a cornerstone of this team, i wouldnt be against (not anymore, at least). his talent fits this teams needs. I still feel he comes off as an idiot, not only from what ive seen in broadcasts, but also some of the junk he posts on instagram, but he seems good hearted and faithful to those who put faith in him. dont know if we have any money to spend on him, but if something can be worked out, hed cement our starting 5.
Get17
Sophomore

Post#87 » by Get17 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:47 pm

john248 wrote:I've been changing my tune about Lance. I wouldn't mind seeing him signed here. He's really a 1.5 way player since his offense isn't anything special, but I do like his defensive intensity at times. He's going to have to work on driving to the hoop better and learn how to draw fouls. Work on his shot a little and the recklessness will die down as he gets more on-court experience.

As for as his maturity, it's still a risk. If he signs that big contract, does he turn into a JR Smith type? He seems like the type to be better served on a team that is winning which the Lakers won't be in the immediate future.

Who better to learn offensive skills from than KBB? I wish we'd just go for it and stretch nashty to get Lance. Having a SG/SF rotation of Kobe, Lance, Nick would be firepower at all times.

After Kobe goes, only Randle, Lance and Nick would be under contract.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,629

Post#88 » by Pointgod » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:14 am

Get17 wrote:
john248 wrote:I've been changing my tune about Lance. I wouldn't mind seeing him signed here. He's really a 1.5 way player since his offense isn't anything special, but I do like his defensive intensity at times. He's going to have to work on driving to the hoop better and learn how to draw fouls. Work on his shot a little and the recklessness will die down as he gets more on-court experience.

Who better to learn offensive skills from than KBB? I wish we'd just go for it and stretch nashty to get Lance. Having a SG/SF rotation of Kobe, Lance, Nick would be firepower at all times.

After Kobe goes, only Randle, Lance and Nick would be under contract.

If management was truly forward thinking they would have talked to Chicago and absorbed Randolph along with 2 2nd picks. Then they could have used those picks to move Nash's contract and we could offer Lance a contract starting at 12 million.
kinein
Rookie
And1: 119

Post#89 » by kinein » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:36 pm

For those of you that missed it. Stephenson signed with Hornets 3yr 27million.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#90 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:05 pm

kinein wrote:For those of you that missed it. Stephenson signed with Hornets 3yr 27million.

Pretty great deal for the Hornets. Mindboggling how his salary is worth just as much as Hill's. All-around players like Stephenson are hard to find in the NBA--especially ones that player defense too. I would have taken him.

So this thread was asking if we'd rather have Lance OR IT when Lance went for $9 mill per year while IT went for almost $7 mill.

That's $16 mill between them. Mitch spent $22 mill on Lin, Hill, Young.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#91 » by tviper » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:
kinein wrote:For those of you that missed it. Stephenson signed with Hornets 3yr 27million.

Pretty great deal for the Hornets. Mindboggling how his salary is worth just as much as Hill's. All-around players like Stephenson are hard to find in the NBA--especially ones that player defense too. I would have taken him.

So this thread was asking if we'd rather have Lance OR IT when Lance went for $9 mill per year while IT went for almost $7 mill.

really hope they have something up their sleeve, otherwise it looks like Jim/Mitch are getting destroyed this summer. looking like rank amateurs at the moment, honestly.
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#92 » by The Skyhook » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Get17 wrote:If the Lakers stretch Nash right now, they'll still have 9mil to offer Lance. The Lakers need one last move to help this offseason. 4/42 is doable, with an opt out after Kobe expires to gain a bigger deal?

Lin/Marshall/Clarkson
Lance/(Kobe)/Xavier
Kobe/Young/Wes
Randle/Kelly
Hill/Sacre

still have the room exception to sign one more big... Okafor?

And what do you know. Lance signs with the Hornets for 3 years/27 million with a team option for the 3rd season. Compared to what some of these other guys have gotten this offseason, that is one hell of a steal for the Hornets. That type of a contract would have been perfect for the Lakers as the team option would give us flexibility in 2016. A deal like that would easily make me think twice about using the stretch provision on Nash.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#93 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:05 pm

For $16 million we could have had Lance and Isiah...giving us an extra $6 million to fill out the roster with a big such as Okafor.

G - Thomas/Nash/Marshall
G - Lance
F - Kobe
F - Randle
C - Okafor

That's a playoff team in the West.

Instead, we have:

G - Lin/Nash/Marshall
G - Kobe
F - Young
F - Randle
C - Hill

Still yet to be determined how this lineup will do, but I'd say we're closer to being a bottom feeder than making the playoffs. IMO, Lin is better than Isiah, but the difference between Young or Hill and Lance Stephenson is big. Lance gets 7 REBs as a SG and can D up against 3 positions.
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#94 » by desertlakerfan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:38 pm

tviper wrote:
Tiesto_Lakers wrote:

really hope they have something up their sleeve, otherwise it looks like Jim/Mitch are getting destroyed this summer. looking like rank amateurs at the moment, honestly.

It's hard to blame Mitch when our owner has made bonehead move after bonehead move. Mitch was doing pretty well before the new guy took over.
Get17
Sophomore

Post#95 » by Get17 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:17 pm

LA couldve beaten the CHA offer in year one and total money. Either Lance just rubbed them the wrong way in discussions or they are asleep at the wheel. Maybe they didn't want his antics here?

I don't understand why they've had Hill waiting to free up cash then not grabbing a strong player (23 yo I think) with it.

Agree with tviper, they BETTER have another move coming or this looks like a tank job waiting to happen.
sidestep
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#96 » by sidestep » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:25 am

Get17 wrote:LA couldve beaten the CHA offer in year one and total money. Either Lance just rubbed them the wrong way in discussions or they are asleep at the wheel. Maybe they didn't want his antics here?

I don't understand why they've had Hill waiting to free up cash then not grabbing a strong player (23 yo I think) with it.

Agree with tviper, they BETTER have another move coming or this looks like a tank job waiting to happen.

Maybe it wasn't the amount of the contract terms but the duration that the FO didn't like. Most of the Lakers contracts are timed to end in a year or two, while Lance wanted more than that. Under the circumstances, I think a good argument can be made for not committing that long to anyone unless he's surely a foundational player. And talent aside, that sureness is diminished by question marks about his attitude.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#97 » by dockingsched » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:40 am

desertlakerfan wrote:
tviper wrote:
Tiesto_Lakers wrote:

It's hard to blame Mitch when our owner has made bonehead move after bonehead move. Mitch was doing pretty well before the new guy took over.

jim buss has been vice president of bball ops since 2005

i think lance just f'ed up, he probably kept his demands high while everyone had money to spend, then when we was finally ready to cave teams had rightfully moved on.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#98 » by john248 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:54 pm

I'm neither pro- Lin or IT, but who cares if IT wasn't signed by the Lakers. Lin at least comes with a 1st round pick. This team has so little assets.

I agree with the above that the Lakers probably just moved on. After LeBron committed, everything just started settling in. We're just kidding ourselves if we feel that signing LS and IT would've pushed this team into playoff territory.
The Last Word

Return to Los Angeles Lakers