ImageImageImageImageImage

Jordan Hill - 2 years, 18M

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Re: Jordan Hill - 2 years, 18M 

Post#101 » by Mamba Venom » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:42 am

The Regime wrote:I love Jordan Hill but there's no way Buss can justify spending 15% of the cap on a average role player. We're getting desperate.

Awful. Hill is 5 to 6 mil. He has had a lot of injuries over the years and has not warranted near 10 mil money.

Mitch better have a plan for all the money he spent today. Lin + Hill 17 mil expiring.

I will be so pissed if Kobe's last 2 years are wasted while overpaying for role players that would be reserves on a contender.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#102 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:19 am

Yeah good luck signing Deng when you can only offer the vet min.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#103 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:20 am

Mamba Venom wrote:
The Regime wrote:I love Jordan Hill but there's no way Buss can justify spending 15% of the cap on a average role player. We're getting desperate.

Awful. Hill is 5 to 6 mil. He has had a lot of injuries over the years and has not warranted near 10 mil money.

Mitch better have a plan for all the money he spent today. Lin + Hill 17 mil expiring.

I will be so pissed if Kobe's last 2 years are wasted while overpaying for role players that would be reserves on a contender.

You should be pissed at Kobe by wasting his remaining two years by taking 24 million per.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#104 » by Doormatt » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:48 am

Mamba Venom wrote:

how exactly did you think these last 2 years would play out? cuz this is pretty much always what was going to happen. melo was a longshot and lebron was never going to happen.

love is still the best possibility, but he aint gonna change things in 1 season.
#doorgek
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#105 » by myersia » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:29 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
Mamba Venom wrote:

You should be pissed at Kobe and the front office for wasting his remaining two years by taking 24 million per.

edited. Both parties are responsible.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,675

Post#106 » by dockingsched » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:40 am

Mamba Venom wrote:

You had to have known this was the overwhelmingly most likely scenario with Kobe's contract taking up so much cap and a lack of assets to make trades. Fastest way for the lakers to get back into contention is to hang tight and be ready to strike once the deck is cleared of Kobe's deal.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#107 » by Pointgod » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:59 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
Mamba Venom wrote:

You should be pissed at Kobe by wasting his remaining two years by taking 24 million per.

Actually Kobe was smart to take the money. Imagine if he had given the Lakers the Dirk discount they'd just use the money offer Gasol a 3 year 50 million dollar contract. Beyond get Melo the front office there was no plan. Now it's just pie in the sky ideas. This is the 2007 capspace plan all over again.
Mindflayer
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#108 » by Mindflayer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:56 am

Ridiculus offer and signing. Why not just sign Lance Stevenson for $10-11 million a year? Get a quality starter for less then true value for 4-5 years or overpay for Hill for 1-2 years? Just 1-3 million a year for quality starter vs. a role player. I'd rather have Stevenson than Hill and Swaggy P.
MaryvalesFinest wrote:
"J-Rich is a better dunker than Kobe and can put up the same stats if he was "the man" of the Lakers, advantage = J-Rich"
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#109 » by milesfides » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:44 am

Good deal.

Have to overpay for the first year if the Lakers want to keep 2015 flexibility open.

Hill is one of the best big men on the market - they're inherently inflated due to the dearth of talented big men anyways.

Hill's biggest concern is his durability, but aside from that, he does everything you want a young big man to do. An excellent rebounder, has better post moves than Dwight Howard, has a face up game, a decent jumper, not a free throw line liability, not an incredible defender or rim protector, but decent and earnest.

If he can play close to 30 mpg and stay healthy, this is more than fair.

I'm actually surprised he agreed to 2-years with a team option on the 2nd year.

Good deal, I'm happy we're not headed into next season with Sacre as our starting center.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#110 » by milesfides » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:44 am

And aside from Anthony Davis, almost every legit big man in the league has some major caveat to his game.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#111 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:35 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/492074753461477378[/tweet]

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/140723jordanhill?cid=TW

“Jordan has been a consistent contributor for us over the last three seasons and we are pleased to keep him in the Laker family,” said Kupchak. “Jordan’s frontcourt versatility is a benefit to our roster and his on-court work ethic is something we value on our team. We hope he’ll continue to work hard and develop as an NBA player”
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#112 » by Tee212 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 am

hope he can hit the open jumper ...then hes our new horace grant
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#113 » by Kilroy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:06 pm

So with Hill, Swaggy, Kelly, Davis, and Randle all officially signed now, I think we're out of the Sign and Trade market for a while.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#114 » by AcecardZ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:04 am

I'd be thrilled with this Hill signing if he were capable of staying on the court but he's proven to be too fragile to warrant this sort of pay.

With that said this contract isn't keeping anybody we can use off of our roster so it's not really hurting us for the short term. Perhaps just making us look foolish or desperate for overpaying a little but whatever.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D

Return to Los Angeles Lakers