Re: Randle / Smart 

Post#41 » by basketballRob » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks Mitchell for not taking Elfrid.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#42 » by basketballRob » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:12 am

Optms wrote:Be thrilled you nabbed him, OP. I had him just ahead of Randle on my list of preferential daft candidates. Smart is a stud prospect at the guard. I love his legitimate combo guard skills, scoring, passing, instinctive defensive prowess and natural scoring ability inside.

Smart is basically the prototype of today's successful NBA guard. I love him to death.

Mirjalovic wrote:If Lakers were 6th ? Try as hard as possible to move up and get Dante Exum.

If cant do that, get Randle.

I wouldnt touch Smart, better to move down and get Payton. Triple double threat and not fat

You're mistaking pure muscle for fat. Raymond Felton is fat. Deron Williams is fat.

Marcus Smart isn't fat. Rather a 6'4 bull who uses his strength to bully and out muscle defenders. Do you view every rookie who comes in with an NBA body as fat? Julius Randle should also be fat by your standards.

10.5% body fat. Smart was one of the fatter draft prospects. Didn't like his play in SL at all, doesn't seem like a team player.
Get17
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#43 » by Get17 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:36 pm

1. Randle is a PF not a PG.
2. Randle weighs 30 more lbs than Smart.
3. Randle body fat less than 10, Smart more than 10.

It's the horrific shot that bother me though. We all here saw it in the tryout video and summer league just confirmed it. Make Smart shoot from outside.
GOAT 5: Abdul-Jabbar, Chamberlain, Johnson, Jordan, Russell; Next 5: Bird, Bryant, Duncan, Oneal, Robertson; Third 5: Erving, James, Olajuwon, Pettit, West; Knocked-Out: Malone
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#44 » by ColdBlooded » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:15 am

basketballRob wrote:
Optms wrote:Be thrilled you nabbed him, OP. I had him just ahead of Randle on my list of preferential daft candidates. Smart is a stud prospect at the guard. I love his legitimate combo guard skills, scoring, passing, instinctive defensive prowess and natural scoring ability inside.

Smart is basically the prototype of today's successful NBA guard. I love him to death.

Mirjalovic wrote:If Lakers were 6th ? Try as hard as possible to move up and get Dante Exum.

If cant do that, get Randle.

I wouldnt touch Smart, better to move down and get Payton. Triple double threat and not fat

You're mistaking pure muscle for fat. Raymond Felton is fat. Deron Williams is fat.

Marcus Smart isn't fat. Rather a 6'4 bull who uses his strength to bully and out muscle defenders. Do you view every rookie who comes in with an NBA body as fat? Julius Randle should also be fat by your standards.

10.5% body fat. Smart was one of the fatter draft prospects. Didn't like his play in SL at all, doesn't seem like a
team player.

10% body fat isnt that high.

thats pretty good condition.
Sam Hinkie crew.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#45 » by Slava » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:27 am

Yeah Kobe sometime said he plays at around 12% bf during the season.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#46 » by basketballRob » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:37 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

10.5% body fat. Smart was one of the fatter draft prospects. Didn't like his play in SL at all, doesn't seem like a
team player.

10% body fat isnt that high.

thats pretty good condition.

Oh I thought it was one of the higher ones. 6'2" 10.5% body fat.
Tonyism
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#47 » by Tonyism » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Im of the minority, but I would have taken Smart. PG's that are as versatile as him are very hard to come by. I also look at position, and what is more important, a PG or a PF. With Smart, you have someone who can create their own shot, lockdown defender against opposing playmakers, great instincts, rebounder, length and strength.

On the other hand, I think Randle will be a solid player with as much upside. I truly believe he is better than Wiggins or Parker and is more ready than they are in the NBA.
Dear Moderators, can I get my previous account (Tonyism74) activated or have those credentials carry over to this one? Ballboy is embarassing. I forgot the previous credentials.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#48 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Smart got basically overhyped by the media because he decided to return. Ben Mclemore and Noel were the two prospects most talked about last year before Oladipo shot up the boards at the end of the year. All of a sudden Smart decided to come back and somehow that made him into a stud prospect, go figure.
tlifeset
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#49 » by tlifeset » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:11 pm

Regardless of what we thought about it... There were whispers that randle's workout where he dominated madsen was reminiscent of kobe's draft workout. I think the lakers were all in on randle from the get go and said he was 4th on their board.

Lets be honest here... Neither the lakers or celtics are drafting for "need"... They are looking for a superstar, it doesnt matter the position.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#50 » by LApwnd » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Chris4Vikes wrote:I am a Celtic fan and I come in peace. I am curious as to how Laker fans viewed the draft. What's done is done so it certainly does no harm in having an open and honest dialogue.....

When the Cs were on the clock at 6, I knew we were taking Smart or Randle (absent a trade). At the time, I was slightly favoring Randle, in part because we have Rondo and Smart is probably a PG. Now I am not so sure. I like them both a lot so I am torn, and Whoever the Cs chose I knew I would overthink it.

If Lakers had the 6th pick, would you have wanted Randle, Smart, or someone else? Thanks.

I would've taken Smart....I can see the Deron comparison but this dude seems way more stronger than Deron and his competitiveness would've bode well with Kobe presence. I'm liking Randle because he is our pick, I have my doubts though, if he doesn't develop a solid 15 footer he's going to struggle in the pros. He's still able to overpower these summer league players and brush them off with contacts, dont think that will work all the time when regular season starts. Smart seems to be struggling with his shots as well but that will come in time, guy is going to be a beast against opposing PG on D IMO.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#51 » by LApwnd » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Get17 wrote:1. Randle is a PF not a PG.

It's the horrific shot that bother me though. We all here saw it in the tryout video and summer league just confirmed it. Make Smart shoot from outside.

Randle doesn't even have shot right now though....
Tonyism
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#52 » by Tonyism » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Same here, I would have picked Smart, but im hoping that Randle turns out to be the better fit for us. I think its well stated that what he is getting away with in strength and size will be difficult in the regular season. As for Deron Williams, I think Smart is a much better defender and as you say, stronger.

LApwnd wrote:
Chris4Vikes wrote:I am a Celtic fan and I come in peace. I am curious as to how Laker fans viewed the draft. What's done is done so it certainly does no harm in having an open and honest dialogue.....

When the Cs were on the clock at 6, I knew we were taking Smart or Randle (absent a trade). At the time, I was slightly favoring Randle, in part because we have Rondo and Smart is probably a PG. Now I am not so sure. I like them both a lot so I am torn, and Whoever the Cs chose I knew I would overthink it.

If Lakers had the 6th pick, would you have wanted Randle, Smart, or someone else? Thanks.

I would've taken Smart....I can see the Deron comparison but this dude seems way more stronger than Deron and his competitiveness would've bode well with Kobe presence. I'm liking Randle because he is our pick, I have my doubts though, if he doesn't develop a solid 15 footer he's going to struggle in the pros. He's still able to overpower these summer league players and brush them off with contacts, dont think that will work all the time when regular season starts. Smart seems to be struggling with his shots as well but that will come in time, guy is going to be a beast against opposing PG on D IMO.
Dear Moderators, can I get my previous account (Tonyism74) activated or have those credentials carry over to this one? Ballboy is embarassing. I forgot the previous credentials.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#53 » by crazyeights » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:36 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Get17 wrote:1. Randle is a PF not a PG.

Randle doesn't even have shot right now though....

I'm not taking too much away from his SL play. If these guys can't guard you 1-on-1, why not be aggressive and take it to the hoop? There have been plenty of videos from practices/his workout where we see him hitting 15-18 footers. Randle will be fine.
Indy2LA
Junior
And1: 271

Post#54 » by Indy2LA » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:07 pm

I would have picked Smart over Randle but that's because I'm the biggest UK hater that you'll ever meet haha. Go Hoosiers! But seriously I wouldn't give Randle up for anything now that we have him. What a beast. Future Perennial All-Star. While Smart might be a future All-Star in Boston too, Julius has a much higher ceiling.
Magic24
Pro Prospect
And1: 109

Post#55 » by Magic24 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:36 pm

I've always wanted Julius. He was part of my top 5 to tank for. Same level as Parker and Exum(because of unknown). Never really liked Smart. But I sway towards the offensive side in my player rankings anyway. I just don't like Smart's offensive game.

His defense looked great in summer league, and he has good length. I don't like his ability to get into the lane without a screen. For a point guard, that is important to me, unless you play a methodical game like E. Payton. He seemed clutch in the summer league, so he has it in him to up his game, which is a nice trait.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#56 » by LApwnd » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:38 pm

basketballRob wrote:Thanks Mitchell for not taking Elfrid.

you guys reached on Gordon at 4th and Phi made you pay through the nose for Elfrid so dont be so happy and nobody in their right mind would take Elfrid in the top 10. Not everybody works out in their projections and if Elfrid lives up to the Rondo comparison I wouldn't really be all that excited, Rondo still cant' shoot after all these years in the league.
KobeKenobi
Senior
And1: 222

Post#57 » by KobeKenobi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 pm

I like both. Smart is like bigger bledsoe with a post game. Huge upside potential. Randle develops a shot he is golden.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers