ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle: Expectations?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

EasternHeretic
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Re: Julius Randle: Expectations? 

Post#121 » by EasternHeretic » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:40 pm

crazyeights wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMwxOi4R9Pw[/youtube]

A little clarity for those who are skeptical of Randle's Summer League performance. He graded his performance a "D"...attributing this to being out of shape because of the previous uncertainty around his foot and whether it needed surgery.

I like his confidence and lack of hesitation when answering questions.
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#122 » by The Prodigy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Ryan Kelly getting punked in all these vines.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#123 » by LApwnd » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:48 pm

Randle should model his game after Barkely, I never saw to much of Barkleys game at his prime but for a guy who's 6'6" or shorter for that matter he pretty much beasted on bigger opponents all the time.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#124 » by Sofa King » Sat Oct 4, 2014 4:30 am

I was watching this again. Hearing Boozer and some tips to give to Randle here.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP_wHlGqfMY[/youtube]
Sofa King
RealGM

Post#125 » by Sofa King » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:32 am

"He's got to do a better job of setting screens," said Scott. "He's got to do a better job of getting up and down the floor. He does that in spurts.

"The biggest thing with him right now is that he has to get in better shape. He's in good shape but he has to get in great shape."

"When you're not in great shape and you get tired, you lose focus, it's that simple," said Scott. "It's just a matter of getting him in great shape."

FULL STORY - http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la ... story.html

Byron Scott's expects Randle to look like this after training camp...

Spoiler:
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,813

Post#126 » by TyCobb » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:33 am

Really happy with Scott.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Sofa King
RealGM

Post#127 » by Sofa King » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:35 am

The rookie power forward felt comfortable in his first game, which he said was a lot easier than the last week at Lakers training camp.

"Practice is way, way harder," Randle said.

link

:lol:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,442

Post#128 » by Slava » Wed Oct 8, 2014 5:08 am

Very impressed by how b scott is handling the media so far. Although I wanted someone else, I'd be very happy if this job works out for him and vice versa.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#129 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Oct 8, 2014 4:57 pm

I think we all want him to succeed even if we don't think he's the right guy for the job.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#130 » by crazyeights » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:06 pm

http://youtu.be/yv-vL47LOT0

Man...Randle looks so quick out there. His combo of size, speed, and strength makes him a really interesting talent. My impression of him from the bits I saw at Kentucky and now are so different.

He could be utilized in some really interesting ways if the coaches get creative enough.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,442

Post#131 » by Slava » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:18 pm

His ability to absorb contact and finish is amazing. I hope he improves his shooting over the next couple of seasons and then people would have to stick close to guard his jumper when he faces up.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,940

Post#132 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:32 pm

crazyeights wrote:http://youtu.be/yv-vL47LOT0

Man...Randle looks so quick out there. His combo of size, speed, and strength makes him a really interesting talent. My impression of him from the bits I saw at Kentucky and now are so different.

He could be utilized in some really interesting ways if the coaches get creative enough.

Yeah, I envisioned him as more of a pure banger, but he's got a tantalizing set of traits. If he puts in the work there shouldn't be any reason why he's not an outstanding player.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#133 » by crazyeights » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Slava wrote:His ability to absorb contact and finish is amazing. I hope he improves his shooting over the next couple of seasons and then people would have to stick close to guard his jumper when he faces up.

That's another great thing about Julius: he seems very self-aware of his game. He's worked on the jumper, but I get the strong impression he won't sit back and be satisfied until it's deadly.

His form's not bad, his touch around the basket is good...it's only a matter of time.

What's funny to me is they were daring him to shoot his jumper, sagging off, and he still drove it in, created contact, and made the layup. Right now he's such a tough cover, they can't force him to settle for jumpers haha.

It'll come, but I like his relentlessness.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#134 » by kblo247 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:25 pm

He has a quick step ...maybe even too quick to fully control at his age.

If he wasn't a mess, I'd say bring Lamar in to talk to him. He can and is trying to do things Lamar did all the time when Phil made him a full time PF after the SF experiment failed.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,940

Post#135 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:39 pm

Take the comparison with a grain of salt considering one if a Top 20 HOFer while I've seen the other play for about 20 mins. But he kind of reminds me a little bit of late-stage Karl Malone in that he has the potential to straddle that line between powerful and skillful. Now if only Julius can match Karl's work ethic, IQ and passing/shooting ability...
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#136 » by D Nice » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 pm

He doesn't have the length to be an elite back-to-the-basket type, so the fact his face-up game is translating this well in pre-season and summer league is really encouraging. Cal made him a low post type because he's a good passer out of double-teams for his age and finishing over the top isn't really the same in college as it is in the pros. There are no Ibakas, Davis's, Noahs, etc.

I like that he doesn't automatically settle when players back off of him but a better jumper would make his life much easier (just ask Blake). I'd say his checklist should be...

1. Jumpshot (tons and tons of practice here)
2. Conditioning
3. Right hand

But he absolutely has all-star/top-5 PF potential, and more importantly, a good shot at getting there. Love watching him grab a board and take it coast-to-coast, very much like Lamar with the strength of a Barkley (although without the hops/length). He looks a lot more fluid than Blake Griffin in many of the same situations, which is again very encouraging. His akward finishing ability is like what Hansborough did at UNC only his didn't translate to the pros. Already seems like he's got decent defensive IQ and awareness, which is very good because that was a huge question mark coming in.

And dat spin move do....

Sedale Threatt wrote:Take the comparison with a grain of salt considering one if a Top 20 HOFer while I've seen the other play for about 20 mins. But he kind of reminds me a little bit of late-stage Karl Malone in that he has the potential to straddle that line between powerful and skillful. Now if only Julius can match Karl's work ethic, IQ and passing/shooting ability...

That's interesting, I don't see much Karl at all. If going by 90s PFs I see way more Barkley/Mason/LJ than I do Malone.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#137 » by chefy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:43 am

he needs to develop his shooting.
ratra_1211
Sixth Man
And1: 271

Post#138 » by ratra_1211 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:55 am

D Nice wrote:He doesn't have the length to be an elite back-to-the-basket type, so the fact his face-up game is translating this well in pre-season and summer league is really encouraging. Cal made him a low post type because he's a good passer out of double-teams for his age and finishing over the top isn't really the same in college as it is in the pros. There are no Ibakas, Davis's, Noahs, etc.

I like that he doesn't automatically settle when players back off of him but a better jumper would make his life much easier (just ask Blake). I'd say his checklist should be...

2. Conditioning
3. Right hand

But he absolutely has all-star/top-5 PF potential, and more importantly, a good shot at getting there. Love watching him grab a board and take it coast-to-coast, very much like Lamar with the strength of a Barkley (although without the hops/length). He looks a lot more fluid than Blake Griffin in many of the same situations, which is again very encouraging. His akward finishing ability is like what Hansborough did at UNC only his didn't translate to the pros. Already seems like he's got decent defensive IQ and awareness, which is very good because that was a huge question mark coming in.

And dat spin move do....

blake griffin's finish is almost always in awkward motion that i dont understand how the rock could get in.. i mean, he often twist his body in the post to a half-spin move and just jump and create seperation with his big body and finish.. awkwardly.

and man, its nice to see your post written in english for once. my head would really explodes when i read your posts on GB and PC with those martian language.. cant understand a thing you said :lol:
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#139 » by D Nice » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:59 am

ratra_1211 wrote:
D Nice wrote:He doesn't have the length to be an elite back-to-the-basket type, so the fact his face-up game is translating this well in pre-season and summer league is really encouraging. Cal made him a low post type because he's a good passer out of double-teams for his age and finishing over the top isn't really the same in college as it is in the pros. There are no Ibakas, Davis's, Noahs, etc.

2. Conditioning
3. Right hand

And dat spin move do....

blake griffin's finish is almost always in awkward motion that i dont understand how the rock could get in.. i mean, he often twist his body in the post to a half-spin move and just jump and create seperation with his big body and finish.. awkwardly.

and man, its nice to see your post written in english for once. my head would really explodes when i read your posts on GB and PC with those martian language.. cant understand a thing you said :lol:

:lol: Just playing their game, but thanks. And yeah, Blake is crazy, it's surprising a guy that cut can contort his body in so many different ways all in the same forray to the basket. Part of what makes him special though.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#140 » by Zion Wembanyama » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:51 am

I think the Lakers dropped the ball on their latest first round pick. They should've capitalized on what could be a post-Kobe era sensation, aka, LaVine, Saric or Stauskas. Those guys will be exciting players, whereas Randle won't produce the "L.A. glamour" style of play, your fans are used to... Well at least there's Linsanity!
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano

Return to Los Angeles Lakers