ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle: Expectations?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Re: Julius Randle: Expectations? 

Post#141 » by EArl » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:18 am

birdsEAThornets wrote:I think the Lakers dropped the ball on their latest first round pick. They should've capitalized on what could be a post-Kobe era sensation, aka, LaVine, Saric or Stauskas. Those guys will be exciting players, whereas Randle won't produce the "L.A. glamour" style of play, your fans are used to... Well at least there's Linsanity!

all the guys you mentioned have sucked ass so far while Randle is already showing promise.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#142 » by ROballer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:57 am

birdsEAThornets wrote:I think the Lakers dropped the ball on their latest first round pick. They should've capitalized on what could be a post-Kobe era sensation, aka, LaVine, Saric or Stauskas. Those guys will be exciting players, whereas Randle won't produce the "L.A. glamour" style of play, your fans are used to... Well at least there's Linsanity!

I like Stauskas,but Randle is by far the best choice out of the players you just mentioned...now and in the future
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#143 » by Sofa King » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:42 am

I'm the 3rd one to disagree with you.

LaVine could be an All Star but that's a few years down the road. He's more likely to be another Gerald Green. Will take time to get better. :wizard:

Saric, yeah good luck with that Philly since they'll wait 2 years to see. You can get back to me by then too. Just remember to reply back to this quote when Saric comes to the NBA. :wink:

Stauskas is just another white boy rookie. :lol:

Enjoy Julius Randle now as most of us are seeing how he develops. :wave:
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#144 » by Optms » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:51 am

Will laugh to the moon when all those three never develop past fringe role players.

"LA Glamour style of play"

Haha. WTF. How is no one else even offended by this? I guess we should inquire about JaVale McGee, JR Smith, Josh Smith and the like since they're all about style over substance. :crazy:
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,491

Post#145 » by The Laker Kid » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:03 pm

VERY impressed with Randle so far.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#146 » by Tee212 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:52 pm

ok one thing that stands out on randle. he passes up a wide open shot to go into his triple threat postion wtf? he waits for the defense to get back into position so he can jab step and run left by his defender. just sayin.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#147 » by Mirjalovic » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:07 pm

Why the hell Randle so underrated ?

He led Kentucky into championship final.. put up solid stats as a freshman, in a stacked team, but his stock still fall from big 3 to 7-8. They said Randle slow, has short wingspan, but draft combine say otherwise. Then all of sudden they say Randle wont be good against nba length, but he plays really well against long NBA player in this pre-season. Now someone come to Lakers board and said we should drafted inferior players compared to Randle. This is funny.

Why people tend to make wrong impression about Julius Randle ? Even people thought he cant shoot despite has decent ft% for a big, and good shooter in HS.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#148 » by D Nice » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:23 pm

You forgot the green font. :-?
GoLakers1990
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#149 » by GoLakers1990 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:24 pm

So I'll go ahead and admit it.. I'm a bandwagon Kentucky Wildcats basketball fan... So I watched every single UK game last year. I think RANDLE will put up 12 and 8 this year if healthy and getting minutes. Byron seems set on starting Boozer over him so it looks like he'll be coming off the bench.

Pros for Randle- man child, can STILL bully people at the NBA level at 250 lbs if he's aggressive. When aggressive and utilizing his power, quickness, and strength at 250 lbs to push/bully defenders his height and wingspan become WAY less of a negative factor in my opinion. At the same time, a con is he has no right hand or proven jumper so the scouting report so obviously be watch the face-up drive to the left. Keyword about his jumper is UNPROVEN. He hardly ever took jumpers at UK and his shot doesn't look horrible in my opinion, he's just always relied on driving and bullying(as he should and should continue to do) to score. However, I can definitely tell he's worked on his right hand from watching the first couple preseason games. Also, he was virtually double/triple teamed EVERY TIME he touched the ball inside the 3 line at UK. This won't happen in the NBA so he should fare even better. Can draw a lot of fouls if aggressive which is why I think he can average 12 his rookie season. Decent free throw shooter at 70% and hoping he doesn't suffer the typical NBA FT drop off. Great rebounder on both offense and defense. Exceptional speed in the open court and ball handling ability for his size and position. Last but most importantly, has a "Kobe" mindset where he always want to work, get better and go 110% in practice and in games!

Cons- DEFENSE. Definitely has the potential to be a good defender but at this time, he's a relatively weak man to man defender. Can't protect the rim at all. Fouls a lot as shown in the preseason games. Unfortunately, I think he will always be somewhat limited defensively due to his height and wingspan at the 4. Ball watches WAY too much when defending off ball and loses his man easily. Somewhat of a basic and predictable move/skill set with the ball in the post whether back is to the basket or facing up. Not a huge issue as post game is usually undeveloped when entering the pros for most. I also have concerns about his conditioning at times.

The pros of RANDLE definitely outweigh the cons. The big question is whether he can have a positive impact offensively due to the mismatch he presents with his power, strength, speed, quickness (overall athleticism) and ball handling ability and whether or not it trumps his inefficiencies defensively. I definitely love Randle when he becomes a finished product and think he's a great draft pick!
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#150 » by D Nice » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:52 pm

GoLakers1990 wrote:]
Cons- DEFENSE. Definitely has the potential to be a good defender but at this time, he's a relatively weak man to man defender. Can't protect the rim at all. Fouls a lot as shown in the preseason games. Unfortunately, I think he will always be somewhat limited defensively due to his height and wingspan at the 4. Ball watches WAY too much when defending off ball and loses his man easily. Somewhat of a basic and predictable move/skill set with the ball in the post whether back is to the basket or facing up. Not a huge issue as post game is usually undeveloped when entering the pros for most. I also have concerns about his conditioning at times.

The pros of RANDLE definitely outweigh the cons. The big question is whether he can have a positive impact offensively due to the mismatch he presents with his power, strength, speed, quickness (overall athleticism) and ball handling ability and whether or not it trumps his inefficiencies defensively. I definitely love Randle when he becomes a finished product and think he's a great draft pick!

Good scouting report overall. I feel pretty similarly in a lot of areas. I think Cal dictated a certain offensive schema that overused Randle in the low/deep post and didn't show off his face-up skill-set, which I think will be his bread and butter in the league. I see him as a high-post guy 80% of the time. And the areas he's weaker in on offense he's shown steady improvement and/or a willingness to work on them (as well as awareness of what needs to be done). Not worried about him on that end.

I'm concerned about his defense for exactly the same reasons you are. You can't teach defensive IQ. By and large you have it or you don't. He gets caught ball-watching, doesn't take the best angles, and he's got a very limited wingspan. You can be creative and find ways around this on offense (like he has) but there's almost no way to be a serious impact defender with those arms. He can be solid though, which is all I really ask. Still, if Blake is the template we're using, he showed better defensive instincts at Oklahoma and in his rookie year so he had a less of a climb from sub-par defender to the solid one he is now.
miggs
Lead Assistant
And1: 446

Post#151 » by miggs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Reviving this thread to talk Randle, I've been wondering what the rook has been up to since going down with his injury. He seems like the type who can't be away from the game for very long. He came out on the Lakers TWC episodes, specifically one in Kentucky for a meet and greet he had, but haven't heard of his progress at this point. I know sometimes guys work on other points of their game while rehabbing their leg injuries but I'd love to hear input from the rest of the laker fam.

Let's talk Randle
2014: Randle / Clarkson
2015: Russell / Nance
2016: Ingram / Zubac
2017: Top 3 Pick? :nod: Fultz, Ball or Bust
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#152 » by LApwnd » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:46 pm

D Nice wrote:

You forgot the green font. :-?

he was right bout lavine, he did win dunk contest albeit the rest of his actually nba play is terrible :lol:
Bobbyydee
Banned User
And1: 27

Post#153 » by Bobbyydee » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:28 pm

hmm Jim Buss t =o make headlines this summer Lakers pick, Randle Swagger p for Boogie Cousins. George Karl will do it in a heartbeat. :D
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#154 » by Laker_Kid » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:07 pm

ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#155 » by ArC_man » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Article on Randle by Ding. Apparently Mitch has been making Randle write up reports on our games :lol:. Sounds like he's really a student of the game and has been studying a lot of film while rehabbing.
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — The body failed him in dramatic fashion for all the world to see.

It has led to the mind, under no spotlight and with no celebrity, becoming stronger.

Julius Randle's inability to play basketball drags on at a time when the Los Angeles Lakers' season would be about almost nothing but his personal development if he was healthy.

In spite of that, there is an undeniable optimism to Randle these days. It's a spirit, more like an assuredness, that this detour has been and will be completely worthwhile for him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2378 ... from-abyss
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#156 » by Slava » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:00 pm

That's a really good interview and good to see the franchise rounding Randle off into a balanced person.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#157 » by crazyeights » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:42 pm

Randle no longer has to email his papers in to Professor Kupchak, but Randle has taken the work to his own higher level. He now keeps a personal notebook of observations, primarily scouting points he notices about other power forwards, while he watches more NBA games than probably any player on any roster in the league.

Randle said he still talks to Kupchak "all the time" about things, but Randle's enthusiasm for independent study is irrepressible. He said his idle time while injured "has flown by." You can see the light in his eyes as he goes on about it—and as he implies he can already take most of these NBA guys he's now watching.

"Taking notes on those guys, taking notes on how I would attack those guys next year, or what they do, what do they like," he said. "Just try to become an extreme student of the game. That's for me, personally. To make sure when we're playing five games in seven nights, and it's tough to keep up next season, I'll have my own scouting report as well as the coaches'."

I really like Handles Randle's personality. I can't wait to see him play this summer:

"With how my body is reacting and how I feel," he said, "I definitely feel like I should be ready for summer league."

That would be huge to have a full summer of basketball.

Another interesting tidbit, this may have been a blessing in disguise:

(and taking advantage of the downtime to replace the screw in his right foot, which Randle now admits was estimated as "a 50-50 chance I may need surgery in the middle of a season if it breaks some more").

Seems like JR fell to us. I never even considered we had a shot at him before the foot rumors surfaced. Now if we keep this year's pick we'll be set.
miggs
Lead Assistant

Post#158 » by miggs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:41 pm

I love hearing this kid talk, I'm glad this interview was posted. Thanks crazyeights! MOD POWER!!!

I don't mind if he misses summer league, but man he'll back properly healed, mentally stronger, ready to put in more work and with his eyes set on being the cornerstone of our franchise, I can't really ask more of Randle. I'm very excited about this news, shows me he may come in better suited for his development as it seems he's picking apart every angle of games and his own game, very Kobe like work ethic. Damn news is making me all giddy cuh
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#159 » by crazyeights » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:48 pm

:laugh: Arc_man posted it first. I just added my favorite quotes.
miggs
Lead Assistant

Post#160 » by miggs » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:15 am

RealGM isn't a democracy, no need to be diplomatic loco ocho

Return to Los Angeles Lakers