ImageImageImageImageImage

Questions on the Small Forward Position

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Questions on the Small Forward Position 

Post#41 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Aug 2, 2014 7:13 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Johnson can be decent if he's ever told what's really expected of him. For one all of his coaches and previous teams expected heavy points from him, he's not that type of player. Wes is the type that has to be on the floor with shot creators for him to see decent shots and have easier looks at the basket.

The first thing Byron needs to do is get it through his head that's he's a defender first and scorer second. Wes should be defending only 2's and 3's. His offense will just be gravy for us. Hopefully now with Kobe back and Lin on the point, Wes can just worry about getting open instead of having to trying to create.

So I guess he's more like Danny Green than Kawai?

NBAWestFan wrote:Xavier is more of a PF

Some say Henry is like a PG? He's only 6'6"?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
LouMamba
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#42 » by LouMamba » Sat Aug 2, 2014 8:50 am

NBAWestFan wrote: Xavier is more of a PF

what are you smoking?
WCDYNASTY
Bench Warmer
And1: 95

Post#43 » by WCDYNASTY » Sat Aug 2, 2014 4:40 pm

Beasley is the guy to play starting SF, he brings more offense and I think would play well with players such as Kobe, Nash, and Lin. I know the focus is defense but there's barely any offense, reliable offense that is.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#44 » by Dr Aki » Sat Aug 2, 2014 5:59 pm

LouMamba wrote:
NBAWestFan wrote: Xavier is more of a PF

what are you smoking?

methinks he meant PF as in point forward
Levity
Pro Prospect
And1: 103

Post#45 » by Levity » Sat Aug 2, 2014 9:40 pm

WCDYNASTY wrote:Beasley is the guy to play starting SF, he brings more offense and I think would play well with players such as Kobe, Nash, and Lin. I know the focus is defense but there's barely any offense, reliable offense that is.

barely any offense in the starting 5?

you have Kobe, Boozer, and Lin who pretty much dominate the shots in the starting line up with Wes getting open looks on the perimeter and Hill being a big component in the Lin pick and roll. Defense is needed from our starting SF spot.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#46 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Aug 2, 2014 11:47 pm

Levity wrote:
WCDYNASTY wrote:Beasley is the guy to play starting SF, he brings more offense and I think would play well with players such as Kobe, Nash, and Lin. I know the focus is defense but there's barely any offense, reliable offense that is.

barely any offense in the starting 5?

you have Kobe, Boozer, and Lin who pretty much dominate the shots in the starting line up with Wes getting open looks on the perimeter and Hill being a big component in the Lin pick and roll. Defense is needed from our starting SF spot.

Wasn't Boozer the main pick guy in PnR with DWill in Utah? He is not the same but I think he can still do something offensively.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#47 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Aug 3, 2014 2:36 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:Johnson can be decent if he's ever told what's really expected of him. For one all of his coaches and previous teams expected heavy points from him, he's not that type of player. Wes is the type that has to be on the floor with shot creators for him to see decent shots and have easier looks at the basket.

The first thing Byron needs to do is get it through his head that's he's a defender first and scorer second. Wes should be defending only 2's and 3's. His offense will just be gravy for us. Hopefully now with Kobe back and Lin on the point, Wes can just worry about getting open instead of having to trying to create.

Some say Henry is like a PG? He's only 6'6"?
I don't know how you got Danny Green or Khawai Leonard out of what I posted. Although Wes has the capability to defend like Leonard if he wanted to apply himself, and Green isn't any type of defender. And offensively all three of those guys can't create off the dribble, they all need to be on the floor with creators who can get shots for them.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#48 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Aug 3, 2014 8:16 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

I don't know how you got Danny Green or Khawai Leonard out of what I posted.

I was just thinking, Leonard has much better handle and is going to be groomed to be a go to guy offensively whereas Green is basically just 3 and D with occasional dunks.
Although Wes has the capability to defend like Leonard if he wanted to apply himself,

Wow, if true, that's no kidding, Leonard is becoming a great defender!
and Green isn't any type of defender.

I thought he did an excellent job on Wade in the Finals and he's elite in transition D?
And offensively all three of those guys can't create off the dribble, they all need to be on the floor with creators who can get shots for them.

IMO Leonard is quite a bit more advanced than Green in creating off the dribble and he's only going to get better.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#49 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Aug 9, 2014 2:15 am

TyCobb wrote:Still like James Southerland as a guy who can space the floor and knock down the three + plus drive to the basket and finish.

Oh, he's gone:
James Southerland Signs One-Year, Non-Guaranteed Deal With Blazers
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... th-Blazers
Thanks for the honesty.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,813

Post#50 » by TyCobb » Sat Aug 9, 2014 2:19 am

Yeah, I saw that. Disappointed we didn't go after him.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#51 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:59 am

Seems like Johnson (and Lin also) can learn something from this guy:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2145 ... onio-spurs
What Is Kawhi Leonard's Actual Ceiling with the San Antonio Spurs?

Snippets:
Part of Leonard's effectiveness within the offense comes from his ability to realize his role, one as a spot-up shooter, cutter and ball-mover on the perimeter. Even after Pop mentioned that Kawhi could be the future "face of the Spurs," Leonard maintained his quiet modesty.

"Yeah, I heard it," he told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne during the Finals. "But it doesn't mean anything to me right now. I'm a role player, and we're competing for a championship this year. Whatever unfolds in the years to come is what happens."

Shooting:

He's probably not going to pull up on you or cross you over and then chuck up a fadeaway. No, Kawhi kills you off the ball, finds space, lets others create and sinks three ball after three ball, hitting 38.2 percent of his catch-and-shoot threes this past season.

Leonard couldn't always shoot. Quite the opposite, actually. In college, he was relatively incapable of scoring away from the hoop.

Chip Engelland is just another hot name stemming from Pop's bench after his work with Leonard, Danny Green and Parker thrust him into the public eye. Now, new coaches like Steve Kerr and Quin Snyder are going after him. And Leonard is the main trophy in Engelland's case.

At San Diego State, Leonard used to bring the ball back over his head when he shot. Any coach will tell you that's the wrong way to go about it, considering it can make your release slower while also killing accuracy. Now, Engelland has taught him to keep it more in front of his forehead, and the accuracy has paid off majorly.

In a way, Leonard's shooting has to do with confidence as much as anything else. I know, seems too simple, doesn't it?

Defense

The defensive end is where Leonard makes his money. Guarding larger wings on a nightly basis allows the Spurs to operate exactly how they prefer.

A common misconception about Leonard is that he is an elite athlete, which isn't completely true. He's a solid athlete, someone who can hold his own when he guards the Kevin Durants and LeBron Jameses of the world, but he's not a top-tier guy, as partly evidenced by his mediocre 32-inch vertical at the NBA combine.

He's not someone who's always going to dunk on guys in traffic—though he'll certainly try. And he's not someone who is going to come skying in help defense to block shots. Instead, Leonard uses the athleticism he has to stick with guys on the ball and lets his smarts take care of the rest.

The Spurs' bigs sag back on the pick-and-roll often, especially when Duncan's man is setting a pick. (When Tiago Splitter's man lays a screen, they're a little more aggressive.) Leonard's intelligence on the pick-and-roll allows the Spurs to play that more conservative style, sagging off the ball-handler and forcing him into uncomfortable, mid-range shots off the dribble.

Leonard has this uncanny ability to beat a ball-handler to a spot and then body check the offensive player to cut off his driving lane. Part of why he's so capable in that sense is because of his ability to fight over screens and stay within an arm's length of the dribbler.

It's a learned skill, but Leonard is already elite against the pick-and-roll. Considering offensive players shot just 34.1 percent from the field when they isolated against him this past season, per Synergy, it's not just Leonard's smarts that make him a deserving All-Defense Team member, though he's never actually been named to one of those squads.

He may only be 6'7", but a 7'3" wingspan makes him a beast on the ball. Plus, those hands. Yes, those ginormous hands.

The always insightful Zach Lowe of Grantland brands Leonard a "Mirror Guy":

A Mirror Guy reacts to the moves of his mark, both on and off the ball, with such perfect timing and balance that it almost appears as if the offensive player is working against his own reflection. Kawhi Leonard might be emerging as the league’s best perimeter Mirror Guy.

Kawhi's massive paws make that style much easier to execute. Still, it's more about carrying out what they call "scouting report defense." He simply knows the opposition's tendencies, and because of that along with his physical tools, the 23-year-old is well on his way to becoming the NBA's best perimeter defender (if he isn't already there).

Conclusion:

That's the difference between Kawhi and your average superstar: We usually evaluate superstars on how they take over with the rock in their hands: James, Carmelo Anthony, Durant, Chris Paul, etc.

All those guys are ball-dominant players. Leonard has a chance to reach some of those guys in quality, but he may have a superstar ceiling—at least in reputation—lower than any of them because of his style.

Kawhi is basically the NBA's premiere 3-and-D player.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#52 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:10 pm

NBA Rumors: Lakers Seeking Michael Beasley? Pacers, Cavs Interested In Free Agent Shawn Marion?

http://www.ibtimes.com/nba-rumors-laker ... on-1656782

Seems like Marion is gone, Cavs or Pacers.

Beasley remains a possibility at the SF spot.

Another good article about him:

Michael Beasley's Best Shot at Redemption Is with the Los Angeles Lakers
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2162 ... les-lakers

Perhaps he is worried about playing defense? Maybe he wants guarantee to start? Is he looking for more money?

Kobe, Nash, Lin and Boozer, it should be a good environment for him.
Thanks for the honesty.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,227

Post#53 » by EArl » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Beasley as a backup would be interesting. I don't see him getting much playing time though unless he earns it. I don't mind him on the team. Having a guy like Kobe to bust your chops is always good.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#54 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:22 am

Marion officially gone, joining LeBron, wasn't considering the Lakers:

Shawn Marion to sign contract with Cleveland Cavaliers

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /14195669/

With King James back in the fold, the rich keep getting richer in Cleveland.

Shawn Marion became the latest player to join the Cleveland Cavaliers, as the free agent small forward committed Sunday to join the championship pursuit that began anew when LeBron James decided to return to his home state last month.

A person with knowledge of his decision confirmed he will join the Cavs but spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because an announcement had not yet been made.

Marion was considering the Indiana Pacers, Miami Heat and the Los Angeles Clippers but will instead add his experience and versatility to this Cavaliers team that — talented as it is — was still short on playoff experience..

Nothing on Beasley:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/500991580803964929[/tweet]
Thanks for the honesty.
Tim Horton
Analyst
And1: 1,233

Post#55 » by Tim Horton » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:28 pm

I think Beasley will be a nice addition to the somewhat thin SF position. though we can still trade u Landry Fields ;)
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#56 » by Dr Aki » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:52 pm

Tim Horton wrote:I think Beasley will be a nice addition to the somewhat thin SF position. though we can still trade u Landry Fields ;)

is he coming with a 1st?
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#57 » by Danny Darko » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:34 pm

I would assume we'd get another wing by training camp. regarding Beas, though seems like a good strategy to wait so he doesn't party it up and make you look like an ass for having just signed him.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#58 » by crazyeights » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:29 pm

http://www.twcsportsnet.com/videos/2014/09/18/wesley-johnson-says-he-expects-this-years-camp-to-have-a-more-serious-tone-september-18-2014

TWC interview with Wes, my pick to start at SF. He's coming in with defense on his mind.

He won't be playing out of position at PF this season, I think he's gonna earn a lot more fans around here with his unselfish and athletic play.

Let's hope he can take the leap as a great role player.

He's got the tools to be our poor man's Batum. He shot a higher percentage from the 3 last year, and blocked/stole at higher rates. Not quite the rebounder and distributor of Batum, nor the scorer, but he's not slouch either.

With the same wingspans and similar heights, that's who I look for Wes to model his game after.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#59 » by chefy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:24 am

I expect Kobe to play a lot of sf minutes this season.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#60 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:03 pm

kblo247 wrote:Wes is by far the weakest staring three of the millennium we've had. Rice, Fox, George, Luke, Vlad, Ariza, and MWP were more consistent. If Wes kept his head in the game, I'd like him to start. If he can't, I'd go big with Randle or Kelly having a shot to start at 3/4. X to me is. Lins backup, Scott was the guy in TWC saying play him at pg when Nash and Blake went down for heaven sake. Besides Lin and. Kobe are eating the most wing minutes anyhow.

W/ ticket prices high as they are we deserve a better starting 3. I can't believe the Lakers didn't gamble on Beasley for the min. He did good with the Suns. LO was a stoner 2. A 2 time champion 6th man of the year stoner.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers