Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Questions on the Small Forward Position 

Post#1 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Who is going to be the starter?
Xavier Henry or Wesley Johnson?

With Nick Young, what are their strengths and weaknesses?

How did they mesh with Kobe and Nash and how will they mesh with Lin?

I think the rumor that Boozer will start at SF is false?
Who would fit better next to him?

Is it really necessary to add a vet like Marion or Butler?

Would a slasher like Richard Jefferson or a shooter like Peja fit better with this roster and coach?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Re: Questions on the Small Forward Position 

Post#2 » by leeprettyp » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:20 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Who is going to be the starter?
Xavier Henry or Wesley Johnson?

With Nick Young, what are their strengths and weaknesses?

How did they mesh with Kobe and Nash and how will they mesh with Lin?

I think the rumor that Boozer will start at SF is false?
Who would fit better next to him?

Is it really necessary to add a vet like Marion or Butler?

Would a slasher like Richard Jefferson or a shooter like Peja fit better with this roster and coach?

If this is pretty much are roster then I'd hope we start Wes Johnson at that SF position.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#3 » by TylersLakers » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Henry's more of an impact player, and a better player, but Wes Johnson is just a better fit next to two guards that are ball dominant like Lin and Bryant. Johnson will play D, take open shots, know his defined role.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Post#4 » by TyCobb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Still like James Southerland as a guy who can space the floor and knock down the three + plus drive to the basket and finish.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#5 » by jackwindham » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:52 pm

A defensive forward would be great for Nash, Lin and Bryant.
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#6 » by Penberthy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:54 pm

Is Marion's D still there?
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#7 » by jackwindham » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:58 pm

I think Marion is still an above average defender. Good for a quick fix, but not a long term solution obviously. Then again, I don't think the current roster was designed as a long term thing, so Marion works.
politm
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#8 » by politm » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Whoever will start, please let it be someone who can shoot the goddamn ball, because with our non-shooting frontcourt (well, except for Kelly) we'll need to space to floor...
WCDYNASTY
Bench Warmer
And1: 95

Post#9 » by WCDYNASTY » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 pm

tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#10 » by tviper » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:20 pm

I remember reading Thad Young trying to get out of PHI. He has a ETO next year but by my calculations it is just low enough to keep open a max slot should Love/Gasol/LMA become available. Would PHI take the HOU second rounder for him or will it take something more than that. Is he a fit with this roster?
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#11 » by lakersin4 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:36 pm

tviper wrote:I remember reading Thad Young trying to get out of PHI. He has a ETO next year but by my calculations it is just low enough to keep open a max slot should Love/Gasol/LMA become available. Would PHI take the HOU second rounder for him or will it take something more than that. Is he a fit with this roster?

I'd love to swap Nash + Hou 2nd for Young & 1 of their 3 prospects at PG. They have 3 rookie or sophmore PG's on their 22 man roster.. They need to get rid of a few anyway.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#12 » by tviper » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:26 am

lakersin4 wrote:
tviper wrote:I remember reading Thad Young trying to get out of PHI. He has a ETO next year but by my calculations it is just low enough to keep open a max slot should Love/Gasol/LMA become available. Would PHI take the HOU second rounder for him or will it take something more than that. Is he a fit with this roster?

I'd love to swap Nash + Hou 2nd for Young & 1 of their 3 prospects at PG. They have 3 rookie or sophmore PG's on their 22 man roster.. They need to get rid of a few anyway.

I read a thread on the PHI page and it seems that they aren't too high on him and a second rounder may be enough. thought is that he is out of there after the year anyway, so may as well get an asset. this is the type of deal that may be available to make the team better in the short term without compromising long term flexibility.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#13 » by Fresh360Waves » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:29 am

TyCobb wrote:Still like James Southerland as a guy who can space the floor and knock down the three + plus drive to the basket and finish.

Camp invite maybe?
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#14 » by Fresh360Waves » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:35 am

jackwindham wrote:I think Marion is still an above average defender. Good for a quick fix, but not a long term solution obviously. Then again, I don't think the current roster was designed as a long term thing, so Marion works.

Wouldn't mind Marion. His game hasn't seemed to decline really and like you said he still can play pretty good defense. Move Wes to the backup 3 and Swaggy P can serve as the backup 2 w/ Henry filling in at both the 2 and 3 if needed.
Tonyism
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#15 » by Tonyism » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 am

Things could change once Scott gets active...however, I would prefer Boozer to start as well. We want to start strong and set the pace early on. I've also mentioned that Randle might be best suited in sharing time with Boozer. He is the rookie, he has to prove himself when he does get to play...he also has to be mentally and physically prepared to play an entire NBA season against elite NBA players. Besides, Boozer has to be rested quite often also so the time split I believe wont be a problem.

Keep in mind also that many great college players dont live up the hype because these are kids here. Money, fame, 82+ games, back to backs, etc. impact people in different ways. I believe this is the best on-boarding process for Randle as long as he isnt just used for garbage minutes. As an NBA team, you have to plan on scaling minutes...Kobe wouldnt be Kobe if he didint play behind Van Exel and Edy Jones.

Dear Moderators, can I get my previous account (Tonyism74) activated or have those credentials carry over to this one? Ballboy is embarassing. I forgot the previous credentials.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#16 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:49 am

jackwindham wrote:A defensive forward would be great for Nash, Lin and Bryant.

The question is, is Wes Johnson good enough defensively?

politm wrote:Whoever will start, please let it be someone who can shoot the goddamn ball, because with our non-shooting frontcourt (well, except for Kelly) we'll need to space to floor...

I think Henry is the better shooter?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Tim Horton
Analyst
And1: 1,233

Post#17 » by Tim Horton » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Marion will be a great fit. his D and synergy with Nash will be valuable.

Lin/Nash
Kobe
Marion
Boozer
Jordan
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#18 » by One Love » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Matrix wants $$$ and wins & we can't guarantee either... Clarkeson & Wesley will be our last pickups & brings the roster to 13 (room for mid season trade or 10 day contracts)... Wesley should start as he compliments Kobe, Lin & Boozer...
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#19 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:06 pm

Tonyism wrote:I would prefer Boozer to start as well.

The question is, is he good enough on D and O at the SF position?
Thanks for the honesty.
Levity
Pro Prospect
And1: 103

Post#20 » by Levity » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Boozer starting at the SF is non-sense. Randle would be better suited as a 3 than boozer, but that wont happen either. It'll be johnson. Lin will guard the opposing teams PG's while johson will guard the opposing teams best perimeter (non-pg) player, leaving kobe with the left overs. Boozer will start at PF with hill at C (but long shot, randle starting at PF next to Boozer at C)

Scott will have his work cut out for him. hes going to need this team to find a defensive identity, and without a "defensive" anchor, help defense and proper defensive rotations will be mandatory. And that starts and ends with the players acceptance of their defensive roles.

and the reason you start wes over X is that X is a ball dominant scorer, where as Wes does not require the ball in his hands to be effective. Hes the epitome of a 3&D player, which every team needs.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers