If You Could Go Back In Time..

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Re: If You Could Go Back In Time.. 

Post#41 » by D Nice » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Painful thread.

Re-upping Gump over signing Chauncey Billups is easily #1 for me.

I mean... X_X
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#42 » by KobeBryant24 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:22 am

If i could go back in time , i would start watching NBA at an earlier age! I love this game !!
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#43 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 pm

First off this is a great thread, for me being a fan of the team as long as I have I can think of a plethora of moves I wish I could've done over back in time. Too many to list in one post so I'll give them up in bits and pieces.

For starters lets go back to 1979.....never would've traded Adrian Dantley to the Jazz for Spencer Haywood.

Dantley had a better career, Haywood started okay with LA but end up not being on the playoff roster after pissing off Kareem.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Kalidogg24
Head Coach
And1: 827

Post#44 » by Kalidogg24 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:03 am

Not even remotely close to born when Dantley was a Laker but DEEP's post reminded me of a trade that should of never happened during my time.

Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell for Glen Rice and JR "WTF" REID!!!

I still think we would of beaten that 1999 Spurs team that swept us into the sea. Tim Duncan annhilated JR Reid which pretty much ended his career.
Campbell and SHAQ would of put up more of a fight. An Eddie Jones' defense would of helped contained Sean Elliot and Mario Ellie. We did have Robert Horry who was seriously underutilized by Del Harris at the time.

I think with Eddie and Elden we could of probably made it to the Finals and beaten Marcus Camby and the Knicks. But then again probably good we got destroyed because maybe the Lakers FO would of never brought in Phil Jackson and Del Harris would still be running the team LOL
REST IN PARADISE GOAT
#TeamFlightBrothers
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,629

Post#45 » by Pointgod » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:25 am

Lakers have made so many mistakes. Hiring Mike Brown over Shaw or a Adelman. D'Antoni... Trading for Nash. Not trading Bynum for Melo. Trading picks for 1year of sessions. Pretty much anytime picks are involved the Lakers are on the losing end of the deal. Caron for Kwame. Biggest one that set us back was shaq to Miami. Should have just sent him to Dallas for Dirk and Nash. 3 MVP calibre players on the same team would have wrecked the league for a good 10 year stretch.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#46 » by spree8 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:33 pm

dirtymike wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:I've always been curious about how Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell could have fit in with our championship teams rather than Glen Rice. You can't say significantly better, because we still won. But Rice never had the impact I was hoping for, and Eddie could have been great under Phil. (Slide Kobe over to SF and that's a hell of a duo.) Plus a quality backup in Campbell...maybe we squeeze another ring out of that group.

Rice had an impact that wasnt measured or did it ever show up in the stat line. We finally had a SF who you couldnt leave open. His man NEVER played off of him...so his guy NEVER doubled. And with the triangle offense, that is important. Plus at that time, weal side zone was legal. Whenver they tried to to do that weak side zone/double bull*hit on Shaq, Rice made them pay. So his numbers were not dramatic...he did make an impact.

But Eddie was shooting just as good and better than Glen from 3 during the championship years. Plus he was a SICK defender...craploads better than Rice. He was also much more versatile on offense. I take Jones over Rice 10 out of 10 times. Add Campbell, and it's a no brainer.

As far as what I would do going back in time...

1. Fight the Cp3 trade veto to the death
2. Try to keep Shaq and Kobe together at all costs
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
gotokyo
Rookie
And1: 283

Post#47 » by gotokyo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:00 pm

If I could go back in time I would do just about the exact opposite of everything Jim Buss has done so far
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#48 » by MAMBAEMD » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:13 pm

I would have tried to keep Jerry West in some capacity in the organization.
Formerly lakerRD
TrippyNate
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#49 » by TrippyNate » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:46 pm

lakerRD wrote:I would have tried to keep Jerry West in some capacity in the organization.

and phil jackson
Live.Love.Lakers.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers