1) Reverse a trade

2) Change a draft pick

Which would they be, and why?
billy_21
Sophomore
And1: 4

Re: If You Could Go Back In Time.. 

Post#2 » by billy_21 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:31 am

My first option would be to trade Bynum for Melo before he was sent to the Knicks:
This option keeps our contending window open and also pushes Pau to the 5 spot with Melo and Odom rotating the 3 and 4 spot.

Second option would be to explore trade options for Dwight and MWP @ the deadline (obvious reasons to get some pieces in return for an expiring Dwight while dumping MWP contracts)
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,809

Post#3 » by TyCobb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:31 am

I'd trade Dwight Howard at the trade deadline in his season with us. I knew from his body language, interviews, and engagement that he wasn't going to stay. It was so obvious. I would've flipped him for all the picks and player assets we could. Would have been better than nothing.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:32 am

Not really a trade, but still a bad decision that didn't need to happen... Magic retirement...

But aside from that, it'd be the Shaq trade... There had to be a way to reason that one out.

Draft pick I'd like to change... 1977 Should have taken Bernard King instead of Kenny Car
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#5 » by chefy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:51 am

kept Marc. i dont wanna sound like those know it all guys or play "i knew it from the beginning" game but after watching a bunch of his highlights after we drafted him. I knew right away hes gonna be one of the best centers in the league. 7 ft center with good mobility, knows how to use his big body very well, good fundamentals and very high bball iq.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,622

Post#6 » by dockingsched » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:18 am

If you keep Marc you don't get pau, so I'm not sure that's something id want to take back.

Hindsight I'd take back the Nash trade. It hasn't really affected the lakers much cause they just gave up picks, but this upcoming season they can't simply tank cause the pick they gave up is only top 5 protected.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#7 » by TyCobb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:30 am

dockingsched wrote:If you keep Marc you don't get pau, so I'm not sure that's something id want to take back.

Hindsight I'd take back the Nash trade. It hasn't really affected the lakers much cause they just gave up picks, but this upcoming season they can't simply tank cause the pick they gave up is only top 5 protected.

I think Nash trade had a huge impact on where we're at now, unless you don't think the D'Antoni hiring was because of Nash. Which I'm not sure would be accurate.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,622

Post#8 » by dockingsched » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:41 am

Agree that Nash being on the team influenced the hiring, just don't think coaching has been one of the more important factors in regards to where the lakers are now. Aging players, injuries, a lack of talent and cba restrictions would all get the bulk of my attention far ahead of coaching.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#9 » by TyCobb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:45 am

dockingsched wrote:Agree that Nash being on the team influenced the hiring, just don't think coaching has been one of the more important factors in regards to where the lakers are now. Aging players, injuries, a lack of talent and cba restrictions would all get the bulk of my attention far ahead of coaching.

I'm not going to go full-kblo, but having a coach implement a system (fast-paced) that was counter-productive to our players' strengths (size) and exposed our team weaknesses' (age, overall foot-speed), was a pretty big factor to where we are now and in my mind no doubt increased our injuries.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#10 » by RJM » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:22 am

I would have...

1. Hired Brian Shaw over Mike Brown after Phil Jackson's retirement.

2. Never attempted the nixed CP3 trade which set off a chain reaction resulting in Lamar Odom's collapse and Pau Gasol's accelerated disintegration.

3. Kept Gerald Green beyond training camp in 2011. Never made the Derek Fisher trade. Keeping Darius Morris wasn't worth giving up what Fisher brought to this team. LA would have had Ramon Sessions, Steve Blake, and Derek Fisher as the PG rotation.

4. Signed Shane Battier in the Winter of 2011 in preparation for Ron Artest's waiver the next year.

5. Made the Dwight Howard trade, meaning this roster would have still taken shape:

PG: Steve Nash - Steve Blake - Derek Fisher
SG: Kobe Bryant - Nick Young - Gerald Green
SF: Shane Battier - Xavier Henry - Wesley Johnson
PF: Pau Gasol - Lamar Odom - Ryan Kelly
C: Dwight Howard - Ronny Turiaf - Greg Oden

Head Coach: Brian Shaw

LA keeps Howard, maintains the triangle offense forms a super-team, and has a perfect balance of veteran talent and young legs and potential. That team wins a championship at some point between 2011 and 2014 and doesn't run Kobe into the ground where he snaps his achilles tendon.

BTW: #6: There's no way in hell I'm giving Kobe that bloated contract. He gets a reasonable deal and that grants me the cap space I need to make a solid run at bringing Carmelo Anthony to town, right as Shane Battier retires.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#11 » by TylersLakers » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:00 am

It would be simple. Un-veto the Chris Paul trade. We would have built around a core of Howard-Paul-Bryant. Howard wouldn't have left if he had Paul here. Kobe wouldn't have had to play 40+ minutes a game to will us into the playoffs, therefore maybe eliminating the achilles injury.

We'd still be contending, and who knows how many Championships Bryant would have right now if that trade wasn't vetoed.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#12 » by Sofa King » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:04 am

1) Win the lotto and every sporting bet and stock market trade and be a multi-billionaire
2) Bid more than Ballmer winning the bid for the Clippers
3) Trade Chris Paul and Griffin to the Lakers
4) Profit over the losing Clippers like Sterling has for years and watch the Lakers win multiple rings again.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,269

Post#13 » by Dr Aki » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:16 am

Sofa King wrote:1) Win the lotto and every sporting bet and stock market trade and be a multi-billionaire
2) Bid more than Ballmer winning the bid for the Clippers
3) Trade Chris Paul and Griffin to the Lakers
4) Profit over the losing Clippers like Sterling has for years and watch the Lakers win multiple rings again.

5) Trade lotto pick after lotto pick to supplement the Lakers for eternity
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,686

Post#14 » by MadNESS » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:35 am

I would have done a lot of things different. Not even knowing the future now.

A.) Everyone on planet earth knew we should have hired Phil over D'Antoni.

This would have led to a lot of things.

1.) Dwight would have stayed.
2.) Phil would have kept the Dwight / Kobe relationship in check.
3.) Gasol and Dwight would have dominated together in the triangle.
4.) Nash could have been traded for value, instead of letting him rot.
5.) We would have had more "street cred" with other FA's, IE Melo this year.
6.) I GUARANTEE Kobe would have signed for a lot less with Phil here.

B.) We should have faught tooth and nail with the CP3 veto deal. We could have made this a battle with the league, lawyers and everything. They hired a GM to make trades for the team. We traded with that GM. Then they block it. Screw stern, and I bet we would have had a huge case against him.

C.) I would have tanked hard core this year. Nick Young and Pau Gasol would have been shut down. We would have lost every game from the second Nash and Kobe went down for good. Wiggins or Parker would be a Laker right now. Not that I'm disappointed win Randle or anything.
LAKESHOW
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#15 » by TyCobb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:39 am

Okay, that tripped me out^. Thought someone got a name change, then I remembered Howard's contest. :lol:
LAShowtimee94
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by LAShowtimee94 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:42 am

I'd take the Nash trade back in a heartbeat. As good as he was I wish they didn't give up as much as they did for him because they lost out on very valuable draft picks & he hasn't panned out due to his age & injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by MadNESS » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:45 am

TyCobb wrote:Okay, that tripped me out^. Thought someone got a name change, then I remembered Howard's contest. :lol:

Lmao. My bad bro.
LAKESHOW
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#18 » by TyCobb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:46 am

Congrats!
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by MadNESS » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:47 am

TyCobb wrote:Congrats!

Thank you sir.
LAKESHOW
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,440

Post#20 » by Slava » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:02 am

1. Trade the con artist formally known as Andrew Bynum for the Philly package instead of taking on Dwight.
2. Not trade for Nash

Sessions - Blake
Kobe - Meeks
Iguodola - Harkless
Pau - Hill
Vucevic - Sacre
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers