Thinking of visiting LA this Fall

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

EnterpriseSol
Junior
And1: 656

Thinking of visiting LA this Fall 

Post#1 » by EnterpriseSol » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:35 am

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of visiting LA this Fall, plan on catching the GSW vs LA game on Sun Nov 16th.
Had a few questions about going to the Lakers games and and staying in LA in general.

- Do you think I should buy my tickets on stubhub closer towards the date or in advance via ticketmaster? I got lucky for a Bulls and Knicks game when I paid $220 for a $305 ticket haha. I think the re-sale price was low because of the craptacular season.
- Where should I stay in LA? Right now, I don't plan on renting a car (might have some hurdles with it too being a Canadian Citizen but will be 25 years old).
- How far is San Fran if I wanted to go by for a day or two?
- I usually like to walk around and explore the city...when I say walk around I mean walk/bus to just about anywhere (an hour or two away) - is this feasible for California?
- Semi-jokes but do you think I can meet the Kardashians out and about the city?

Thanks guys.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: Thinking of visiting LA this Fall 

Post#2 » by Slava » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:23 am

I don't think LA is pretty commuter friendly unless you have a car and even if you do prepare yourself for **** load of traffic. I hear 405 & PCH are like parking lots in rush hour.

As for going to San Fran, I'd recommend renting a car and driving from LA to the Bay Area, the route is beautiful and scenic and you can stop and take pictures along the way.

Most rentals give you cars with international drivers permits.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Post#3 » by EArl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:39 am

LA is commuter friendly if you know your way around the area, If you're a tourist however, a car is your best bet.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#4 » by Sofa King » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:41 am

San Francisco is an 8 hour drive from LA if I recall correctly. That's with restroom stops, food stops, etc. I remember driving from Orange County to San Jose and that was a minimum 6 hours drive but we broke speed limits doing so.

Walking is not an option as LA is so spread out. Imagine walking from Hollywood to Downtown LA (Staples Center) and then to the beach. Unless you are Usain Bolt, I don't recommend any of that ****. Get a car.

I met the Kardashians before. Why? Stuck up bitches who just want free ****. But if you want Odom and Kanya's dirty seconds, feel free.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#5 » by Doormatt » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 am

EArl wrote:LA is commuter friendly

the **** no its not
#doorgek
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#6 » by Doormatt » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:04 am

if youre only here for 1 day i dont really know what you could do taking public transportation. all you could do is see the area around LA live.

also im pretty sure the Kardashians dont even live in LA they are in like Calabasas.
#doorgek
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#7 » by Dr Aki » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:46 am

best parts of LA are beaches and shopping

when i went to a LA game, i got tix for about 220 pp, lower bowl, corner seating off ticketmaster, not sure if it was the cheapest though

driving to SF would take maybe 8 hours? longer if you (and you should) take breaks and go outlet shopping

better to fly to SF i reckon
dirtymike
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#8 » by dirtymike » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Sofa King wrote:San Francisco is an 8 hour drive from LA if I recall correctly. That's with restroom stops, food stops, etc. I remember driving from Orange County to San Jose and that was a minimum 6 hours drive but we broke speed limits doing so.

Walking is not an option as LA is so spread out. Imagine walking from Hollywood to Downtown LA (Staples Center) and then to the beach. Unless you are Usain Bolt, I don't recommend any of that ****. Get a car.

I met the Kardashians before. Why? Stuck up bitches who just want free ****. But if you want Odom and Kanya's dirty seconds, feel free.

THIS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is why SofaKing is my fave!
I live in FL...but I know all I need to know about LA from this post by SofaKing. LOL!
Plan B: Make Plan A work- Dirty Mike
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Post#9 » by EArl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Sofa doesnt even live in LA. he's in some commy country if I remember correctly.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Sofa King
RealGM

Post#10 » by Sofa King » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:53 am

EArl wrote:Sofa doesnt even live in LA. he's in some commy country if I remember correctly.

I may not live in LA now, but I lived in LA and OC for over 15 years before.
Ghost Snack
Junior
And1: 30

Post#11 » by Ghost Snack » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:23 am

How long will your stay in LA be?

I would recommend staying across the street at the Hotel Figueroa. Reasonable pricing. Interesting way it has been decorated. Downtown LA doesn't have much going on, but there are some pretty cool gems spread through out. Some in walking distance from the Fig. Good food in LA is everywhere. Yelp seems to be pretty accurate to narrow things down for you.

I Highly recommend renting a car in order to get from point A to point B. Everything is very spread out, and the traffic sucks. Enjoy your time.
gotokyo
Rookie
And1: 283

Post#12 » by gotokyo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Slava wrote:
As for going to San Fran, I'd recommend renting a car and driving from LA to the Bay Area, the route is beautiful and scenic and you can stop and take pictures along the way.

Beautiful and scenic if you take PCH all the way up but that turns a 6 hour drive into a 8+ hour drive. Taking the i5 is the fastest way but there aint **** to see along the way. Bunch of flat lands and cow sh*t.

I wouldn't make that trip to be honest unless you're gonna be down here for a while and you REALLY want to go. There's plenty to see and do in LA and southern CA in general. If anything take a trip down to San Diego. It's much closer to LA then SF is.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#13 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:30 pm

I've been to LA a ton of times and your best bet is to rent a car and hang out at the beaches. Manhattan beach is my favorite by far, but they're all really cool. If you wanna save time don't even bother checking out Hollywood, there's really nothing there.

San Fran was a 10-hour drive when I took the coast, but I stopped a ton of times to take pics and eat and such. It's really worth it.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#14 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:36 am

First off get a rental car if you can spring it for a few days, you need wheels to move around LA to experience what TV shows you. Visit Hollywood.....on Saturday night if you want a boat load of laughs and see some strange bull sh*t.

If going to a Laker game, stay at the JW Marriott, it's walking distance to Staples.

And LA is a drive-able city.....if you plan your time smartly. Those who say it isn't don't know what the F they're doing anyway. I get anywhere I want in this city at any time.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#15 » by Crooked-I » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:06 am

Driving to SF takes six hours. Unless you take the PCH all the way up then it takes anywhere from 8-10 depending on how many stops. I'd recommend taking it tho the drive is awesome all along the coast.

And if I were you I'd definitely rent a car. Taking the bus over here sucks. And most places aren't walking distance apart.

As for the Kardashians, I saw Courtney once at the topanga mall. But your odds of seeing them are really low.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#16 » by Tonyism74 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:23 pm

The only thing good about LA is the Lakers...
Yes, im posting all over again!
EnterpriseSol
Junior
And1: 656

Post#17 » by EnterpriseSol » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:17 am

When do individual tickets go on sale?
Sofa King
RealGM

Post#18 » by Sofa King » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:12 am

Tonyism74 wrote:The only thing good about LA is the Lakers...

And even then, the Lakers aren't doing too good these days

Return to Los Angeles Lakers