Kobe Era 2004-Present
No votes

Total votes: 12

TheBomb81
Pro Prospect
And1: 64

Favorite Lakers Era? 

Post#1 » by TheBomb81 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:55 am

Laker fans,what is your favorite era you love and treasure the most?
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Re: Favorite Lakers Era? 

Post#2 » by KobeBryant24 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:06 am

Having Kobe and Shaq dominate for years straight was def the best
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,962

Post#3 » by Optms » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:07 am

The era post Shaq was fun. I doubt anyone mentions it so I thought I'd shower it with some love.

The losing ran its course but the moment Caron Butler, Odom, Brain Grant and Chucky Atkins came on board, I was pumped because I knew those were quality guys regardless of the fact that the trade was a bit one sided. I expected a decline in deep playoff runs, but I was excited nonetheless to see the new faces. Also, not having the colossal expectations hovering above the team anymore after so many years was a bit of a nice relief.

The addition and development of Andrew Bynum was also great to watch. Who could ever forget the moment he and Shaq matched up for the time? Definitely wasn't all gloom and doom.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#4 » by Dr Aki » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:16 pm

1949-1954

on a more serious note though, showtime. that's from someone who was born at the end of showtime and never grew up watching them

damn, i wish we had showtime, **** would've been unreal.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#5 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:44 pm

I'm a vet so I remember them all, but why not have the 1992-1996 Lake Show era in there ?

Nick the Quick VanExel, Eddie Jones, Elden Campbell, Anthony Peeler, Vlade, Sedale Thrett, Cedric Ceballos...

The list of characters goes on, that was a fun time. We sucked in Nick's rookie season but rebounded and grew into a decent team and those guys were the reason we got Shaq to come here in the first place.

I love how Nick use to bust Gary Payton's ass and talked trash right back to him while giving him buckets. We had the first Splash Bothers with Peeler and VanExel, I remember a lot of games with them going nuts from 3.

Without that era we get no Shaq.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#6 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:19 pm

There's just something about those insanely dominant Laker teams from '00-'02. Should have won it all in '03 as well if Horry doesn't rim out that game winner. Would have smoked the Nets in the Finals.

Should have won it all in '04 if Kobe didn't throw it away.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#7 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:33 pm

It is hard to come up with a favorite because all those eras have had special and unique meaning to me as a fan.
The Showtime era probably gets the edge for me because we won 5 of our rings in an era when the C's were strong. For me it is always sweet when we dominate and the C's aren't as successful as we are.
The Shaq and Kobe era was amazing because we went through a really rough patch before we rebuilt, although those VanExel, Jones, Peeler, and Cambell years were really fun and we stuck it to quit a few people in those years.
The latest era with Kobe and Pau era is also special because it brought somewhat unexpected dominance. Many said we were done when we lost Shaq, but Kobe and co. proved them wrong.

If I had to chose, I'd point to the Showtime years, but it is real close.
Formerly lakerRD
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:58 pm

Showtime... Or rather "The Magic Era"... It's a shame there isn't a way for those who didn't experience it first hand to relive it in it's entirety... It was such an amazing time to be a Laker fan.
In fact, not just a Laker fan... There were so many great players and great teams in that era, it was an amazing time to be a basketball fan.
This current era is formulaic by comparison...

And there was no real competition for the Kobe/Shaq teams... And that era was so much shorter, that it really was no comparison.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#9 » by The Laker Kid » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:49 am

The Lin Era
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Post#10 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:10 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:I'm a vet so I remember them all, but why not have the 1992-1996 Lake Show era in there ?

Nick the Quick VanExel, Eddie Jones, Elden Campbell, Anthony Peeler, Vlade, Sedale Thrett, Cedric Ceballos...

The list of characters goes on, that was a fun time. We sucked in Nick's rookie season but rebounded and grew into a decent team and those guys were the reason we got Shaq to come here in the first place.

I love how Nick use to bust Gary Payton's ass and talked trash right back to him while giving him buckets. We had the first Splash Bothers with Peeler and VanExel, I remember a lot of games with them going nuts from 3.

Without that era we get no Shaq.

Yeah, that was a fun, fun team. Remember listening to Ceballos drop 50 on radio when I was in college. Went to see them play the T-Wolves at the Target Center during Magic's comeback, absolutely put it on them and Minnesota fans talking about what an entertaining young team it was while leaving the building. Van Exel was one of the first guys I remember shooting pull-up 3s, although he used to drive me nuts. Eddie Jones playing above the rim. Sky was the limit. Interesting that those guys set the stage for the Shaq/Kobe era, but none of them actually participated. Upsetting the Sonics in the first round was one of my fonder memories. Wish I could get back to that level of enthusiasm; now it seems like championship or bust.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#11 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:There's just something about those insanely dominant Laker teams from '00-'02. Should have won it all in '03 as well if Horry doesn't rim out that game winner. Would have smoked the Nets in the Finals.

Should have won it all in '04 if Kobe didn't throw it away.

Or if shaq was in shape and didn't get man handled by Ben Wallace.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#12 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Kilroy wrote:Showtime... Or rather "The Magic Era"... It's a shame there isn't a way for those who didn't experience it first hand to relive it in it's entirety... It was such an amazing time to be a Laker fan.
In fact, not just a Laker fan... There were so many great players and great teams in that era, it was an amazing time to be a basketball fan.
This current era is formulaic by comparison...

And there was no real competition for the Kobe/Shaq teams... And that era was so much shorter, that it really was no comparison.

:nod:
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#13 » by Dr Aki » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:52 pm

there was competition, just not any sustained opposition

the jailblazers, webber-divac kings and timmy spurs were all capable of beating the lakers over 7, things fell where they fell and is now history
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#14 » by Mirjalovic » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:07 am

Shaq-Kobe era.

I mean without that, i wont even be here and like basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Frantik
Sixth Man
And1: 37

Post#15 » by Frantik » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:38 am

Van exel and Peeler introduced me to Lakers Basketball.... aww man!...Playstation 1... going bananas from 3pt range with Peeler. Aaaaanthony Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeler!!!!

But... i have to say Kobe Shaq era! Watching Shaq dominate was a gift! Only God knows when laker fans will see such asolute dominance again. and those Kobe heroics and Horry daggers! ugh! Those were some happy days. I friggin love this game...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,674

Post#16 » by dockingsched » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:40 am

The Van Exel / Eddie Jones / Vlade Divac era def. deserves a mention like several have pointed out.

Don't think its fair to label 2004 - present as just the Kobe era.

I'd break it down to the Kobe era starting after shaq's trade that marks kobe's best individual seasons, his reconciliation with phil, the hope placed onto bynum, fans frustration (due to too high expectations imo) with lamar odom, the kwame/smush jokes, and ultimately the 1st round exits.

then there's the kobe/pau era, which ended when phil had to retire from coaching. this is characterized best by the redemption of kobe, the redemption of mitch, and pau and odom's perfect support of kobe's game, and the return of BOS-LAL.

after that there's era i'd call the post phil era that started when mike brown got hired that is mostly characterized as when fans started targeting jim buss for the team's struggles. won't get too much into that.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#17 » by Slava » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:54 am

Kobe - Pau era for me, just because I could follow the team very closely and watched pretty much all the games.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Post#18 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:11 am

That counts for a lot. I have never lived in L.A., so when I started following the Lakers in the late 80s you were lucky to see them 10 times a year before the playoffs started. Totally different era with League Pass and the Internet and all that.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#19 » by TylersLakers » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:52 am

I'll have to go the Kobe era. I loved the whole "start from scratch" thing and the whole building the team process before we finally won a Championship. Felt pretty good.

Plus, the chemistry on that 2008-10 teams were great. The three straight trips to the Finals were great. Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol together, Kobe in the heart of his prime winning MVP, etc. Loved those three years.
dirtymike
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#20 » by dirtymike » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Youngsters....I swear! :roll:

The Showtime Era with Magic, Worthy, McAdoo, Wilkes. Coop, Rambis was clearly the best. In a time where haymakers and elbows to the jaw while driving to the hole was the norm, this time not only shined above and brighter than the rest of league, they won. And won BIG! The front office did beautiful things...like put the organization in a position 2 years prior to winning the championship by making a trade to CLE for their #1 pick in 2 years, to win the championship and then draft #1 overall pick James Worthy. BRILLIANT! This team was a real treat to watch! With battling Blazers and Houston to go to the Finals and then to get there and have to face Larry Bird, McHale, and the Celtics or Detroit Bad Boys. Great time for basketball. No other era compares. Take it from somebody that witnessed all of it.
Plan B: Make Plan A work- Dirty Mike

Return to Los Angeles Lakers