ImageImageImageImageImage

Laker fan thoughts on coach Derek Fisher?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Starks1994
Veteran
And1: 185

Post#1 » by Starks1994 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 3:41 am

Knicks fan here in peace. After 13 seasons with the Lakers, no one knows Fisher better than you guys. I was wondering what kind of coach he'll be after all you observed from Fish over the years. Is there anything you really expect from him or worry about as he begins his first year coaching?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: Laker fan thoughts on coach Derek Fisher? 

Post#2 » by Slava » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:24 am

Fish is a tremendous guy, natural leader, can hold people accountable and likely will get to your superstar player in a way your previous coaches couldn't. Otherwise no one really knows how he would do as a basketball mind and I'm curious to find out too.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#3 » by iamworthy » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:31 am

I think Fish will be a great coach. I could right a 2 page article on why but instead I'll just drop a few bullets:

-winner
-tough S.O.B
-leader
-battle tested
-understands how to communicate with others
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#4 » by TheHartBreakKid » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:39 am

I think he's made for coaching. He's a born leader...type of guy that everyone likes and respects at the same time. He was huge for the chemistry of all those championship teams. I definitely think he could be a better coach than he was a player, especially under Phil's wing. I don't see why he won't be better than Kerr. (obviously in the long run, considering Kerr will have more immediate success simply due to the roster)
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Post#5 » by TyCobb » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:46 am

I wish he was the Lakers coach.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#6 » by Speedlot » Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:06 am

THE only player than can control kobe. It wasn't Gasol. It wasn't Odom. It wasn't Bynum, nor was it Phil. WHEN fisher came back to the lakers and did not pass to kobe, i knew we would go far.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#7 » by LApwnd » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:24 pm

I think Fish will be a good-graet coach if he gets his personel right. Rambis tenure with MInn was a big time failure cause he tried to implement the triangle on a team that didn't have the personel for it. I think NYK currently constructed doesn't have the personel for it either, IMO Melo will not like this offense nor will he fit into it. He's saying all the right things but as the saying goes "a leopard can't change his spots." The style of play Karl/MDA had was/is perfect for a player like Melo but he always has to have it his way so now he's gona have to do alot less ISO now, so we'll see how effective Melo will be
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#8 » by Marionettetc » Mon Sep 8, 2014 8:42 pm

There's no way to know, because he's never done the day in and day out coach grind. I suspect you will have a better idea after the season is over
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#9 » by TylersLakers » Tue Sep 9, 2014 5:54 am

I think he'll be a really great coach eventually, I just wonder if it's a bit too early. So, we'll see. I wish he would have been chosen as a coach under a different person than Phil Jackson, to be honest. I mean, there's no one better to learn from if Phil can fully step back. I just wonder if Phil is fully capable of stepping back and letting Derek have full control.

It will be interesting to see.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#10 » by MAMBAEMD » Tue Sep 9, 2014 7:39 am

I think DFish will be an outstanding coach.
I, like Ty, also wished he would be the Laker's coach.
He is a great leader a well-respected champion and a terrific motivator.
The x's and O's will take a while to come by. He'll have a learning curve there.
The triangle is not easy for players to grasp or for coaches to teach.
Formerly lakerRD
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,971

Post#11 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Sep 9, 2014 8:14 pm

No idea how he'll do on the sideline. But as a player, he was the ultimate pro.
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#12 » by Marionettetc » Tue Sep 9, 2014 8:35 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:No idea how he'll do on the sideline. But as a player, he was the ultimate pro.

I agree ^

I think we all can safely attest to the fact he's a professional, and he will put the work in every day.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#13 » by chefy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:03 am

he'll be phil's puppet just like spolstra to riley.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#14 » by Mirjalovic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:34 pm

Luke Walton probably has better XO but players will listen to Fisher.

In his heart is burning the indomitable fighting spirit, he will surprise a lot people this year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#15 » by Kilroy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:53 pm

As an isolated coach, I think Fish would be a disaster, but he's there as a puppet coach for Phil, and to learn from him... So he might work out... But I think he's going to need a lot of help and I'm not sure Phil is ready to be that hands-on... Phil had Tex, but he hasn't been the same coach since Tex retired.

It's a gamble... It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

My gut tells me NY is not going to be patient enough for the whole new world of Phil Jackson, to let it grow and develop... And Phil isn't going to be thick-skinned and political enough to persevere if he starts taking heat from the city and pressure from Dolan...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#16 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:11 am

I agree with my boy iamworthy, after 18 years of pro ball you just don't forget the intricacies of it like that. Fish will do well. As for all coaches on any level the first adjustment is getting a feel for in-game adjustments. Feeling the game from a coaching prospective is a lot different than feeling it from a player prospective.

As for coaching......well every coach had to coach that 1st game, no one walked in ready no matter how many so called years of experience they had as an assistant.

The only reason guys transitioned to assistants from players and did it for a long time, it wasn't to learn how to coach it was to learn the systematic side of it. Now days it's a lot easier to go from player to coaching. Players today know how they want to practice, know how to watch film on their own, and can work themselves out without a coach present. Coaching has changed.

But Fish will be fine, I have no doubt about that.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#17 » by Sofa King » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:34 am

I hope DFish is taking his team to the Finals.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#18 » by Mamba Venom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:47 pm

I can't say if Fisher will be a great coach but I would bet on it. Phil and Luke said they want to write down everything Fish says because its like the perfect line from a movie. Fish is the best motivator in sports. His speeches should get the Tebow treatment and be immortalized in bronze. Hell of a leader.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#19 » by Dr Aki » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:41 am

it would be great if kobe and byron faced off against fish and phil in the finals
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#20 » by laduane1 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:59 am

If I were the knicks, I would want him to spend a few years as an assistant coach. Yes he has experience with players on the floor during games, but it did not work out to well with Kidd. Might be a bad move. Scott spent his first years on the bench and now he is a head coach again.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers