ImageImageImageImageImage

Byron Scott Finalizes Lakers Staff

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Byron Scott Finalizes Lakers Staff 

Post#1 » by EArl » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:41 am

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Paul Pressey, Jim Eyen and Mark Madsen will be Byron Scott's assistant coaches with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Scott announced his coaching staff for the upcoming season Tuesday.

Pressey was on Scott's staffs in Cleveland and New Orleans. He played 11 NBA seasons with three clubs.

Eyen returns to the Lakers after three seasons as an assistant coach under Pat Riley and Mike Dunleavy from 1989 to '92. He was on the Sacramento Kings' staff for four seasons until 2013.

Madsen is a former Lakers forward, winning championship rings as a backup in 2001 and 2002. He was a player development coach for the Lakers last season.

Scott also hired his eldest son, Thomas, as a player development coach.

Clay Moser was hired as the Lakers' new head advance NBA scout.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... hing-staff
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Re: Byron Scott Finalizes Lakers Staff 

Post#2 » by Jakay » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Maddog's back...

I thought he was hired as an assistant somewhere else actually.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#3 » by Slava » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Would be strange to see only 3 assistants. Mike Brown had like a dozen people in his tenure and D'Antoni carried quite a few of them into his first season.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#4 » by crazyeights » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:42 pm

I didn't realize an "advance scout" scouts teams and their strategies, rather than future prospects.

Odd that there were so many rumors that were so wrong. Interested in seeing Pressey and what he could do to develop Randle's game.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#5 » by leeprettyp » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:10 am

Crazy how Thomas Scott is on the Lakers coaching staff.. I grew up playing AAU ball with him. He has always given personal workouts for NBA players like Ben McLemore of the Sac. Kings.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#6 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:06 pm

crazyeights wrote:I didn't realize an "advance scout" scouts teams and their strategies, rather than future prospects.

Odd that there were so many rumors that were so wrong. Interested in seeing Pressey and what he could do to develop Randle's game.
Well I wouldn't depend on that too much. Pressey was a 2 guard, I think he's going to be more involved in the defensive side of things. He was a pretty good defender in his day. I think Madsen will handle the bigs, much like Rambis did on Phil's staff.

As far as scouting, the department is assigned different task. I think Jerry West son is involved in the scouting of prospects.....he's done a good job so far given the limited amount of picks we've had.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by crazyeights » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Yeah I was under that impression from Google:

While playing small forward for the Milwaukee Bucks in the 1980s, Pressey took on many of the ball handling duties, even leading the team in assists for five straight years. He participated in the 1986 NBA Slam Dunk Contest, finishing in 6th place out of 8.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by crazyeights » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:14 pm

And from NBA.com article on the history of the point-forward position:

Paul Pressey
According to NBA legend, Milwaukee coach Don Nelson was the mad scientist who experimented with the "point forward" role and Paul Pressey was his monster. Pressey, a 6-foot-5 swingman from Tulsa with a pterodactyl wingspan, was a 1982 first-round pick who didn't fit naturally into a Bucks rotation that already had Marques Johnson, Sidney Moncrief, Brian Winters and Junior Bridgeman as skill players. Enter Harris, between coaching jobs and by that point a consultant to his pal Nelson in Milwaukee. "I remember it clearly," Harris said. "We were at a meeting at the American Club in Lake Geneva (Wis.), and Nellie said, 'I've got Pressey and he's got to play forward, but he's not really a forward. He can pass. He can see over people. But I don't know what to do with him.' I said, 'Well, you could use him as a point forward like I did with Robert Reid.'

"Nellie just jumped all over that," Harris said. "He loved it and that's the way it was from then on. Nellie was not shy and he talked a lot about it, so he gets credit for it. But Tom Nissalke started it, I named it and Nellie popularized it. That's the honest truth." Pressey's point-forward duties fully blossomed in 1984-85. His assists more than doubled from 252 to 543, then to 623 in 1985-86 when he averaged 7.8 setting up Moncrief, Terry Cummings, Ricky Pierce and titular point guard Craig Hodges. In a Nov. 6, 1984 story in the old Milwaukee Journal, Nelson said: "We gave it a name really to help give some identity to what Press is trying to do for us."

"I loved it," said Pressey, now an assistant on Byron Scott's Cleveland staff. "Nellie put the ball in my hand and he trusted that I was going to do the right thing as far as getting the ball to our scorers. It went over well with the other guys because they knew I wasn't going to be taking a whole lot of shots. I was going to be a playmaker. They were going to get their shots, so they were all for that." Harris coached Pressey in his last three Milwaukee seasons but Jay Humphries and Alvin Robertson passed him as the Bucks' assist leader in 1989-90. He was traded that summer to San Antonio, where Larry Brown had Rod Strickland at the point and used Pressey more conventionally.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/steve_aschburner/12/15/point-forward/index.html
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#9 » by kblo247 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:39 am

FFS

Let me get this straight our head coach is sub 500 for his career. Our lead assistant was his lead assistant in Cleveland where they made history as the first team to be bottom of the league defensively in succession multiple years. He topped it off with a guy from the kings staff who has been abysmal.

I mean I like. Madsen, but damn, even his assistant career is being next to Dantoni. We need coaches who know what its like to win, or at least fresh players turned coaches with a winning pedigree like Payton and Horry

If we were going in with Scott, they should have reached out to the men who made him in Jordan and Frank. Nepotism also didn't work well with Mike and Dan, but we shall see, least the son is young and relatable
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#10 » by Doormatt » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:14 am

kblo247 wrote:FFS

Let me get this straight our head coach is sub 500 for his career. Our lead assistant was his lead assistant in Cleveland where they made history as the first team to be bottom of the league defensively in succession multiple years. He topped it off with a guy from the kings staff who has been abysmal.

I mean I like. Madsen, but damn, even his assistant career is being next to Dantoni. We need coaches who know what its like to win, or at least fresh players turned coaches with a winning pedigree like Payton and Horry

If we were going in with Scott, they should have reached out to the men who made him in Jordan and Frank. Nepotism also didn't work well with Mike and Dan, but we shall see, least the son is young and relatable

i dont really like the byron scott hire but theres no reason to get mad about it anymore. its obvious we didnt hire him for the future, hes just here to see us thru this rebuilding period. doesnt really matter who he hires honestly, not like this is the foundation of some long term plan or anything.
#doorgek
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#11 » by Sofa King » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:39 am

Return to Los Angeles Lakers